mtgcard: Matheron, Golem King

death00

so here's the link for the card

http://imgur.com/w4mA2XR

summon cost: x

abilities:

Indestructible

x+5 Monstrosity 15 ( if creature isn't monstrous, put x +1/+1 counters on it on it becomes monstrous)

tap to activate arrow Search your deck for a Basic Land and play it

As long as Matheron, Golem King is monstrous, it has trample 

10/10

New version

http://imgur.com/BNzoyzV

Indestructible

This creature's Power/ Toughness is equal to the amount of mana used to summon (it)

x+5 Monstrosity X ( if creature isn't monstrous, put x +1/+1 counters on it on it becomes monstrous)

Tap to activate arrow Search your deck for a Basic Land and play it

As long as Matheron, Golem King is monstrous, it has trample 

X/X

what would you have called it , mate (snicker) (monstrosity 15)?

and who says i was going for balanced, i mean even they make op cards

Ex: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373555 (colossus of akros)

p.s. love the pic and quote thing on top of your image

p.p.s. unless your suggesting this is overly over powered, this is the perfect spot, seeing as it's OTHER TCG 

what would you have called it , mate (snicker) (monstrosity 15)?

and who says i was going for balanced, i mean even they make op cards

Ex: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373555 (colossus of akros)

p.s. love the pic and quote thing on top of your image

p.p.s. unless your suggesting this is overly over powered, this is the perfect spot, seeing as it's OTHER TCG 

The way the card is currently written, you can play it for 0 mana to get a 10/10 and then pay 5 mana to make it a 25/25 with trample. That is broken beyond repair.

Wizards thoroughly tests their cards for balance to keep the game healthy and fun. If a broken card slips by, it's often because the players found a way to use the card the designers didn't think of - it's not because they want to break the game. Don't use "they make broken cards" to excuse your own.

To make it even worse, I'm appalled by your example choice: Colossus of Akros.
Colossus of Akros is actually balanced for a number of reasons:
• It costs 8 mana to cast. 8 mana is a lot of mana and sometimes isn't reached in standard and usually doesn't get reached in Modern or Legacy. Sure, reanimation cards can reduce this cost, but I'll get to why that isn't a great idea with him and why many other 8 drops and quite a few lower drops would be better.
• Its Monstrosity 10 costs 10 mana. This is a built-in fail-safe against reanimation making it broken. If you reanimate him, you get a 10/10 indestructible defender - not very impressive, frankly.
For 10 mana you can do a lot better than make your previously 10/10 indestructible defender into a 20/20 indestructible trampler.
In the average case, you've spent 18 MANA on a 20/20 indestructible trampler that can still be easily exiled, bounced, or force-sacrificed.

The main thing that separates Matheron from Colossus is that Colossus is indestructible and this is legendary, but that doesn't make up for that this can be played turn 1 for early game and be resurrected as close to full power. To make matters even worse, if for some reason you don't want to attack with your 10/10 you can tap it to get more lands from the library.

Also, the Other TCG cards section is for discussing REAL cards. the Any Other Cards is for discussing custom cards.

If you're going to put X on a summoning cost, make sure the X applies to a key part of the card which prevents people from spitting it out at 0 cost. Take the green Hydras for example, which would shrivel up and die of you declare X as 0. So I'd suggest you have its base P/T as */* with an additional ability "Matheron's power and toughness equals the amount of mana spent to cast it."

As for your monstrosity ability, let me fix that for you:

{5} {X}: Monstrosity X

If you're going to make a recursive ramping engine, at least force the land to enter play tapped. Even the infamous Primeval Titan does it.

well it does, it not only makes the monstrosity cost, it also determines how many +1/+1 counters it gains when it becomes monstrous

The way the card is currently written, you can play it for 0 mana to get a 10/10 and then pay 5 mana to make it a 25/25 with trample. That is broken beyond repair.

that's not how it works, you put x and i clearly say "X" +1/+1 counters on him NOT 15, "X" , if you going to criticize, read the card, then criticize, don't just glance at it and criticize

Also, the Other TCG cards section is for discussing REAL cards. the Any Other Cards is for discussing custom cards.

and yet there's these topics in this section which DON'T HAVE REAL CARDS 

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310229-prophecy-pokemon-digimon-shoutout/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310228-prophecy-creature-cards/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310180-custom-tcg-kaosug%C4%93to/

Colossus of Akros is actually balanced for a number of reasons:
 In the average case, you've spent 18 MANA on a 20/20

and in mine you'd need to spend 25 mana to make it 20/20 because if you actually read it, that's how it works, also by paying 35 mana you could make it 25/25, if you payed 15 mana to summon. 

So I'd suggest you have its base P/T as */* with an additional ability "Matheron's power and toughness equals the amount of mana spent to cast it."

As for your monstrosity ability, let me fix that for you:

{5} {X}: Monstrosity X

thank you for suggestion on how to change it instead just beating on it (mysty), gadlitron

well it does, it not only makes the monstrosity cost, it also determines how many +1/+1 counters it gains when it becomes monstrous

that's not how it works, you put x and i clearly say "X" +1/+1 counters on him NOT 15, "X" , if you going to criticize, read the card, then criticize, don't just glance at it and criticize

and yet there's these topics in this section which DON'T HAVE REAL CARDS 

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310229-prophecy-pokemon-digimon-shoutout/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310228-prophecy-creature-cards/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/310180-custom-tcg-kaosug%C4%93to/

and in mine you'd need to spend 25 mana to make it 20/20 because if you actually read it, that's how it works, also by paying 35 mana you could make it 25/25, if you payed 15 mana to summon. 

thank you for suggestion on how to change it instead just beating on it (mysty), gadlitron

I read it exactly as it would be translated if made into a real card, accounting for missing colons and similar mistakes:

Matheron, Golem King
(X)
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem
Indestructible
(5)(X): Monstrosity 15
T: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
As long as Matheron, Golem King is monstrous, it has trample.
10/10

If that isn't what the card is supposed to do, you'll need to edit the text on it.

A few notes:
• Monstrosity 15 means "If this creature isn't monstrous, put fifteen +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous." Putting different reminder text doesn't change the ability. I'd replace Monstrosity 15 with Monstrosity X if that is your intent.
• The card doesn't "keep track" of its X forever. Once it's off the stack and on the board, you can use the effect on the board and choose a different X than what you cast it for.
• There is still the problem of a 0 mana indestructible 10/10 that for five mana permanently gains trample.

As for the Prophecy/Chaosgate issue, that's because those card games don't exist yet and the mods have decided that's where they should go. MtG is a well-known card game, and as such cards for it belong in a created card section.

I'm not actually going to beat on it because Mysty's already doing the work for me. Thanks, Mysty, for taking one for the team, by the way.

If we want to make the ability read what you want it to do, let me work it out for you:

{5}{X}: Monstrosity X, where X is the amount of mana spent to summon Matheron. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)

It's slightly unconventional in accordance with existing versions of the mechanic, but it will do. Great issue here is that it's still a 10/10 indestructible trample for 5 mana. That ramps without pretapping the land it's spitting out. That's already a damn good bargain, if you compare with many other (legendary) creatures that cost about 5 mana. Colossus of Akros has nothing on this.

OR, you could spend 0 mana on an Indestructible 10/10 that taps to put a land from your deck to the battlefield.

Do you see the problem there?

So now it's an indestructible, colourless, 1-cost (min) recurring Rampant Growth (that also doesn't auto-tap the land it's ramping).

I'm quite iffy on potential 1-mana indestructibles. Doesn't that keyword usually appear on relatively higher-costing creatures?

I would move the indestructible ability under the Monstrosity mechanic so that it will only happen while Matheron is monstrous.

Archived