(MtG) Geist Attack (Not even sure what format)

VictorSempra

4 Tectonic Edge
4 Celestial Colonnade
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Seachrome Coast
1 Mystic Gate
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Marsh Flats
5 Island
5 Plains
4 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Path to Exile
2 Spell Snare
4 Mana Leak
2 Remand
3 Supreme Verdict
3 Cryptic Command

This is a Modern deck, once you remove the Mental Missteps which are banned in Modern. Otherwise, now it depends how competitive you wanna go. As a casual Spirit deck, sure, but slightly weak. Most of the creatures you're playing are fairly bad even in the context of a Spirit tribal deck (Drogskol Reaver, Geist-Honored Monk, Shriekgeist, Tower Geist). Geist of Saint Traft is one of the best cards in Modern, and could be played at 3.

Geist is an all star in Midrange decks, being the most prominent card for UWX Midrange decks along side Restoration Angel and Vendilion Clique. If you so desire to make this modern, I would go with UW or UWR Midrange. UWB is relatively strong, but easily to deal and play mental magic against. If you want Modern, I'll change up the deck list to how I see fit. In Legacy, Geist and many of these cards are weaker than cards that are in modern, and most of these cards don't mean up well in modern.

Geist is an all star in Midrange decks, being the most prominent card for UWX Midrange decks along side Restoration Angel and Vendilion Clique. If you so desire to make this modern, I would go with UW or UWR Midrange. UWB is relatively strong, but easily to deal and play mental magic against. If you want Modern, I'll change up the deck list to how I see fit. In Legacy, Geist and many of these cards are weaker than cards that are in modern, and most of these cards don't mean up well in modern.

Yeah, I read over these last night when I had a chance, and I don't exactly see a whole lot of synergy in what's here. I quite honestly have NO idea what I was thinking, as I said I can't even remember when I built it. So, given that this is more set for Modern format, how would you recommend I re-structure this? Or should I just do a completely different take on Spirits?

...What's the difference between Standard and Modern format? o_o

Yeah, I read over these last night when I had a chance, and I don't exactly see a whole lot of synergy in what's here. I quite honestly have NO idea what I was thinking, as I said I can't even remember when I built it. So, given that this is more set for Modern format, how would you recommend I re-structure this? Or should I just do a completely different take on Spirits?

...What's the difference between Standard and Modern format? o_o

You should orient your deck around control and dealing with your opponents cards. UW gives an open ended answer to this mean, and I think that there a better ways to deal with plenty of answers.

The simple answer to reconstruct this deck is to have

12-15 Creatures.

Spells

24-25 Lands

4 Tectonic Edge should be a starting point if you want to stick with UW Midrange. Decrease the number if you run a third color. These stop your opponent from reaching the needed lands and also answer lands such as Valakut or Celestial Colonnade. Modern is a format that uses lands to win games. Having an answer for them in the form of a land stops the opponent from being able to answer it properly.

4 Celestial Colonnades is a must. It is a mana source and a creature that gets around Sorcery Speed answers. Players worry about this more than any other land.

Usually 4-8 Zendikar Fetchlands that search for island. They thin your deck and get the mana needed early on.

3 Hallowed Fountain. Can be searched with Fetchlands for the mana needed.

3 Seachrome Coast. They are fast and reliable. The 2 best UW Land, imo.

2 Mystic Gate. Only play 2. They are great, but dead cards without having UW sources. They make it easier to cast V Clique, Geist, and Cryptic Command.

And other needed lands

Creatures should usually be

3-4 Geist of Saint Traft. All star.

2-3 Vendilion Clique. Instant Removal answer to threats and can be used to recycle your land.

4 Restoration Angel. Protect and an all star.

3-4 Snapcaster Mage. Reuse your arsenal of spells.

Some spells that you should look at are

Path to Exile

Spell Snare

Mana Leak

Remand

Supreme Verdict

Cryptic Command

Modern is nonrating from the expansion 8th Edition onward. Standard is only the two most recent blocks and Core sets. It rotates when a new set comes along.

You should orient your deck around control and dealing with your opponents cards. UW gives an open ended answer to this mean, and I think that there a better ways to deal with plenty of answers.

The simple answer to reconstruct this deck is to have

12-15 Creatures.

Spells

24-25 Lands

4 Tectonic Edge should be a starting point if you want to stick with UW Midrange. Decrease the number if you run a third color. These stop your opponent from reaching the needed lands and also answer lands such as Valakut or Celestial Colonnade. Modern is a format that uses lands to win games. Having an answer for them in the form of a land stops the opponent from being able to answer it properly.

4 Celestial Colonnades is a must. It is a mana source and a creature that gets around Sorcery Speed answers. Players worry about this more than any other land.

Usually 4-8 Zendikar Fetchlands that search for island. They thin your deck and get the mana needed early on.

3 Hallowed Fountain. Can be searched with Fetchlands for the mana needed.

3 Seachrome Coast. They are fast and reliable. The 2 best UW Land, imo.

2 Mystic Gate. Only play 2. They are great, but dead cards without having UW sources. They make it easier to cast V Clique, Geist, and Cryptic Command.

And other needed lands

Creatures should usually be

3-4 Geist of Saint Traft. All star.

2-3 Vendilion Clique. Instant Removal answer to threats and can be used to recycle your land.

4 Restoration Angel. Protect and an all star.

3-4 Snapcaster Mage. Reuse your arsenal of spells.

Some spells that you should look at are

Path to Exile

Spell Snare

Mana Leak

Remand

Supreme Verdict

Cryptic Command

Modern is nonrating from the expansion 8th Edition onward. Standard is only the two most recent blocks and Core sets. It rotates when a new set comes along.

New copy posted, filled up to your suggestions.

Yup, pretty good build now. You could consider splashing red, to make it a bit more interesting, essentially for removal like Lightning Bolt.

I would note that I think UW/x tempo, which is what this turned into takes some practise to get a hang of. Difficult to pilot.

Yup, pretty good build now. You could consider splashing red, to make it a bit more interesting, essentially for removal like Lightning Bolt.

I would note that I think UW/x tempo, which is what this turned into takes some practise to get a hang of. Difficult to pilot.

Hmm, I'll think on that. Not sure I want to swan-dive right back to tri-color decks. (My Naya and Esper ones are failsauce.dek)

Well, let's see how it goes. If it proves to be a bit much for me to begin with, I'll look at a reconstruction of my Naya deck, maybe, since it's my favorite I've ever owned.

Archived