HYUNA - Red

Thar

Jesus, half the shots in this video are basically ripped directly from Miley.

Where the j-pop industry is more insular, k-pop has always been a genre massively influenced by Western music in comparison. Quite obvious here, and I don't think it's coincidental that it basically sounds like an Iggy Azalea single, or indeed any of the last 4 or so Jason Derulo tracks, mostly due to the 808 drums and saw wobble effects.

Just waiting for k-pop to get on the brass hook trend.

I wouldn't compare it to Miley, cause Hyuna's been doing it before her, and she could actually pull it off both before and after Miley's new attitude.

This is more derived off Bubble Pop than that VMA.

I wouldn't compare it to Miley, cause Hyuna's been doing it before her, and she could actually pull it off both before and after Miley's new attitude.

This is more derived off Bubble Pop than that VMA.

That's silly. The influence of artists like Miley Cyrus here is so big, it's actually undeniable: both musically and aesthetically. The only thing this has in common with Bubble Pop's video is the choreography, and even that's decidedly sexier. If this wasn't directed by Hype Williams, then the video director is pretty much trying to imitate his style precisely: right down to the unorthodox letterboxing at the start (the weird camera flash every so often in a lot of k-pop videos probably comes from Hype Williams too). Twerking, fur coats, a wrecking ball, people lying down at a party, improvised dance, comically oversized props, and the introduction of non-Korean dancers are also giant stylistic factors here. Even with the odd Egyptian bit, I swear I was watching Katy Perry's Dark Horse for a moment.

Really, anything that you see someone do in k-pop, someone in Western media has done it a bit earlier. It's the secret to the Korean music industry really.

I really found the song quite catchy. To be honest, I found myself wanting to move with the song.

Where the j-pop industry is more insular, k-pop has always been a genre massively influenced by Western music in comparison. Quite obvious here, and I don't think it's coincidental that it basically sounds like an Iggy Azalea single, or indeed any of the last 4 or so Jason Derulo tracks, mostly due to the 808 drums and saw wobble effects.

Just waiting for k-pop to get on the brass hook trend.

I found the choreography to be more similar to Mirror, Mirror rather than Bubble Pop or Miley. Though Rai's definitely right when he says that K-Pop is definitely influenced by Western music.

Archived