[IRL] Crazy s*** that has happened to you because of YGO.

Didn't see where else this would be fit to post, if necessary delete it and I'll repost elsewhere.

This thread is for discussing all of the theft, cheating, psychos, socially awkward situations and people that you have encountered through spectating, playing or trading in this game. Try and keep it relatively PG. I'll start with reposting something that happened to me today, it got pretty crazy.

​I'm scaling DUEA at Target. At the registers in front of a clerk, nothing shady, store management is chill with me. Not gonna buy it but I'm bored and have a buddy who lives nearby that I'll mark packs for if I'm not interested.

Suddenly, a wild Psycho appears! This woman walks behind me from the greeting card section which is in deeper in the store (I recorded a 48 second video of her denying that she came over just to b**** me out, but phone was dying and I couldn't record more) and starts ranting about thieves. I keep scaling. She starts talking to me and says I've stolen everything good. I tell her I only play YGO, she loudly says "Sure, that's what they all say. I bet you stole all the baseball and football cards." She stalks off in a huff after this. A minute later she returns holding some greeting cards and confronts me again.

I calmly explain to her that a gram scale is insufficient for pack searching most baseball and football cards. I also point out that there are no other scalable TCGs present. You can't scale Pokemon or Magic, at least not for profit, since foils in Magic are usually commons and only Full-Arts are worth anything in Pokemon, and those weigh the same as the usual insert foils. She continues to rant at me. I finish scaling, someone hit the store already as there were only 3 piles with like 15 packs each. 22.0, 22.1 and 22.2 if anyone cares.

I then go to the toy and vidya section, remembering there are packs there. She follows me, heavily breathing the whole way. Once there she berates me further. I scale the DUEA blisters, no foils again. I proceed to get a drink near the protein bars at the Pharmacy section at the front of the store, then head to the registers. She's still following me.

Once I'm near the registers, she full on goes nuts from me ignoring her and only replying with "that's interesting" and "coolcoolcool". Proceeds to call me a variety of expletives. b****, cheat, thief, a variety of racial epithets that don't even apply (I'm not black!) among other things. Security comes over and she rages at them. I explain what I was doing and that management at this store is cool with me doing it. She says something about them being "stupid f***ing pigs" and he tells her she has to leave immediately, then takes the greeting cards out of her hand and walks her out.

Security guard comes back near the registers, rolls his eyes and asks, "Does that happen a lot?" I tell him it's only the second or third time, he laughs and then I explain how scaling works by scaling the PRIO and telling him someone else likely hit the store already, then explain how scaling doesn't hurt Target's bottom line. We proceed to bro out over Game of Thrones after he sees that it has a trading card game.

Today was fun.

My brother unwittingly got the entire store of people to believe (like 8-10 people at least 6-7 years older than him) that Shi-En and Shien created a lockdown a while back. I believed this up until a month or so ago….this happened 2+ years ago. 

…he previously got ripped off for a Maxx C Secret rare for a Secret Nephtes of whatever and he thinks he got his forbidden lance super stolen.

He was a scrub with prices/even thinking cards had value back then.

I pulled a Glow Up while it was still legal…learned its value, attempted to trade it, leave the table for two seconds to come back and see the card now has like a pen-mark on it. ...

I mean it's "crazy stuff" but its not really because of Yugioh it just is Yugioh

and the nerds who play it to rip kids off

and the scrubs that get ripped off

Cool scaling story xD

One time, during middle school, I had accidentally left my deck box out, thankfully with only a few notable cards (Though It did have my JUMP Cimeratech from a friend, as well as a couple other cards with personal or monetary value, such as Emes the Infinity, Starlight road, and such), and some kid from that class took the deck box, left it in lost and found, and had SOLD the cards in there to other students.

They understood the situation, and gave me some of my cards back (I didn't manage to recover my Chimeratech, sadly, but I DID get back a Starlight, which was very valuable at the time) and we eventually ganged up on the kid who stole my cards.

After that, I almost never brought my cards to school. Fucking people, yo.

I randomly brought my deck with me to play a college friend one evening after we discussed how it could be fun. Suddenly, this somehow leads to our entire group becoming interested in the game again (some of them having never even played in the first place). Everyone started off really bad and scrubby and I ended up being the person to explain most rulings (having to explain MST doesn't negate again after so long was painful) but after a week or two...almost everyone (like 10 or so people playing in our group after this) is at a pretty decent level and start buying singles online. Having someone go from having no idea what a Synchro is to pulling Brionac on you in a Blackwing deck a week or so later is an interesting experience.

Okay, this is just something weird I noticed, it technically didn't happen to me, but what the hell . . .

I was in the middle of a rather uninteresting Duel (my opponent was just being annoying by leaving Marshmallon out and stalling despite the fact that he knew I was capable of crushing him, all I really needed was to draw into one of my many, many cards that could pop it with effects) when I noticed, on the other side of the room, these two other people are in the middle of a trade.

Y'know, simple normal things at this point . . . until I realized the trade being made was what amounted to half a Fire King deck for an Amazoness Sage and Amazoness Paladin.

I was confused, but I kept doing what I was doing. Not really my business to tell this guy he was being seriously ripped off.

So, I was continuing my Duel, my opponent's ranting about how I'm going to Deck out, I draw into my Blast Magician (note I had a hand of nothing but Spell Cards), and then I notice something else going on in other-side-land- Not only was the trade made, but after they walked away from one another, the guy who walked away with his Amazonesses looked pleased with himself. He put them into a Deck Box, which he proceeded to leave unattended for all of ten seconds before they got stolen- by the same guy he got them from.

Once he noticed (which took about two seconds, considering how the guy he went to Duel quite audibly yelled "hey" in the middle of a crowded library), a full-on fistfight erupted. Naturally, I started dying of laughter, the guy I'm Dueling against fell out of his chair trying to turn around to watch (which naturally makes me laugh [i]harder[/i]), and library security (those guys who stand against the walls and never actually seem to do anything) showed up to break it up.

Then- the icing on the cake- they walk off with one another's Deck Boxes. They left the library with the wrong Deck Boxes, after all that bull.

(By the by, this was rather recently, it's just that, well, most of the people I know are utterly broke, myself included.)

Didn't quite happen to me, but to my local elite who has been my friend so long he is basically my younger brother at this point so I will refer to him as such.

The following happened in Dragon Ruler vs Prophecy format. immediately after Judgement came out, before it was (rightly) emergency-banned.

Official Konami event. Maybe a sneak-peek, it was Prophecy Ruler Format so my memory is clouded by hatred. Dueling happens. My bro goes to the can between games, I'm not even there because it's the next town over or this story would end with a knife wound on the perp.

My bro, in an unusual lapse of diligence, left his Extra Deck binder visible (basically all his Fusion/Synchro/Xyz cards worth playing he saves time by just hot-swapping them to the Decks that need them out of that binder before games.), likely due to the fact we pretty much know everyone in the store personally... including the Judges. Jackass McNutf*** picks it up and just walks the f*** out. Among the losses is a full set of HERO Fusions, a MPB Dracossack, and 3 copies of Number 11: Big Eye (GAOV loves this guy, he pulls an 11 every single time.) As well as pretty much everything you would use ever.

What does the guy (we immediately figure out who it was) do with this binder of money? Prophecy Deck. Whole f***ing binder for a completed build. Who cares? Not his cards. By the time my bro thinks to check the stores security tapes, the weekly wipeout happened so we can't. Assface gets off scot-free.

...but that is only part 1.

Douchey Gluepalms strikes again at another event in the same venue... and this time he took from...

wait for it....

AN OFFICIAL KONAMI JUDGE WE PERSONALLY KNOW.

Busted. Don't know if the guy showed his face at any more events since that one, but if he did, he was perma-banned on the spot since the Judge Victim knew his information. The lesson, kids is simply this:

karma-quote-funny.jpg

So...this happened awhile back (like...April...ish). I was at the local nerd store and I had decided to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh. Well, I didn't have much trade bait or a deck. My best option was to simply buy the cards I needed as it would be quicker. I went to the owner and asked if he had any decks. He had three. One was Coon and Friends that I had no interest in. The second one was Chaos Dragons, and I knew it would both be bad AND over-priced as it was he favorite deck and I knew how he built it. So I passed on that one. The third deck was Thunder Family. I took a look through it and liked the build. Sadly, he only had a couple of cards for the extra deck (cheap stuff) and told me he would have to swap everything out for the lowest rarity. That meant getting a common Thunder King instead of a secret, Super Sea Horses instead of Secrets, etc, etc. Basically, make it even cheaper. I told him that was fine and asked for his price. ...he wanted $120. I laughed thinking it was a joke. He persisted. I got serious and began pointing things out. He got defensive and said $120 or I don't get the deck. I get frustrated and walk away.

After walking away, I decided to prove him wrong. I spent the next two hours wheeling and dealing, under trading and over trading, all that good stuff. By the end of the two hours, I had the whole deck complete (minus a few cards in the extra deck) without spending a penny. A few minutes later, I bought a Stardust Spark Dragon, two Omegas, and two other XYZ monsters for $20. That left me with one spot open in the extra deck, and I knew what I wanted. No, it wasn't Exciton Knight. I didn't have the cash for that. No, I was looking for a Number 101. I announced that I was looking for one and was offering cash. The store owner perked up and said he had an ultimate one. I asked for price and he said $100. I scoffed at him and asked why he would value it so high. He said the ultimate is worth $80 and his was a misprint. Curious as to whether or not it was, I examined it. The name was out of place by the width of a strand of hair. ;-;

I turned around and bought a 101 for $30, then proceeded to rub it in his face.

I've also seen some guy sell a printed out copy of Laval Chain for $50 claiming it was DT. Upon examining the card, anyone would notice it was a fake for the simple fact that it wasn't holo like a DT one would be. I mentioned this to the guy and he said the guy that sold it to him claimed it was a misprint.

LESSON: If someone claims they have a card that is misprint, chances are it's a fake or they are over-pricing it. My advice, don't pick up "misprints".

So...this happened awhile back (like...April...ish). I was at the local nerd store and I had decided to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh. Well, I didn't have much trade bait or a deck. My best option was to simply buy the cards I needed as it would be quicker. I went to the owner and asked if he had any decks. He had three. One was Coon and Friends that I had no interest in. The second one was Chaos Dragons, and I knew it would both be bad AND over-priced as it was he favorite deck and I knew how he built it. So I passed on that one. The third deck was Thunder Family. I took a look through it and liked the build. Sadly, he only had a couple of cards for the extra deck (cheap stuff) and told me he would have to swap everything out for the lowest rarity. That meant getting a common Thunder King instead of a secret, Super Sea Horses instead of Secrets, etc, etc. Basically, make it even cheaper. I told him that was fine and asked for his price. ...he wanted $120. I laughed thinking it was a joke. He persisted. I got serious and began pointing things out. He got defensive and said $120 or I don't get the deck. I get frustrated and walk away.

After walking away, I decided to prove him wrong. I spent the next two hours wheeling and dealing, under trading and over trading, all that good stuff. By the end of the two hours, I had the whole deck complete (minus a few cards in the extra deck) without spending a penny. A few minutes later, I bought a Stardust Spark Dragon, two Omegas, and two other XYZ monsters for $20. That left me with one spot open in the extra deck, and I knew what I wanted. No, it wasn't Exciton Knight. I didn't have the cash for that. No, I was looking for a Number 101. I announced that I was looking for one and was offering cash. The store owner perked up and said he had an ultimate one. I asked for price and he said $100. I scoffed at him and asked why he would value it so high. He said the ultimate is worth $80 and his was a misprint. Curious as to whether or not it was, I examined it. The name was out of place by the width of a strand of hair. ;-;

I turned around and bought a 101 for $30, then proceeded to rub it in his face.

I've also seen some guy sell a printed out copy of Laval Chain for $50 claiming it was DT. Upon examining the card, anyone would notice it was a fake for the simple fact that it wasn't holo like a DT one would be. I mentioned this to the guy and he said the guy that sold it to him claimed it was a misprint.

LESSON: If someone claims they have a card that is misprint, chances are it's a fake or they are over-pricing it. My advice, don't pick up "misprints".

Bro from my story has a legit $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ misprint: the Ghost Rare Rainbow Dragon with Chaos Neos art. That was spared theivery by virtue of not being an Extra Deck card.

Archived