Yu-Gi-Oh: Soul Seeker - Tech guide/discussion thread

Nazryl

So I'm currently typing down the first draft for my Fanfic that follows my OC Rae Amara and her band of rag tag friends and brand new decks. In this world, Duel Monsters are seen completely different from what we're used to, the way cards are acquired and the technology the inhabitants of the world use. This thread is to explain that technology and everything that is different with the world. 

These will be accompanied with fantastic art and as much detail as I can currently muster from my brain (Details come and go on a day to day basis, so bare with me) Feel free to ask questions, pick holes and add suggestions, I'm open to anything. 

So without further adue...

[spoiler=The world] The world in which my story is set is a ruined shell called Teal. Thousand of years before the story setting, Teal was a thriving land filled with creatures, machines, humans and everything else between them. Technology was high and with the vast knowledge of scientists great cities rose from the ground with steel and steam. But of course, things changed. With the light of civilisation exists, shadows rise from within. A sorcerer called Zembiran, began to lust for power and watched the high lords of Hundol live their lives of wealth. The wizards study turned to that of shadow, his nights spent learning the art of darkness, necromancy and the summoning of evil beasts to do his bidding.

Years passed and with each, Zembrian became even more powerful and his lust for control ever deeper. When his soul had become enslaved by the shadow, the wizard drew all power to him and erected an army of Teals nightmares. From his frozen retreat high in the north, Zembrian began his march towards the golden city and in his wake left nothing but burning wrecks and the stench of death. With each mile his forces passed, the forces of good stood in defence. Wolves attacked en mass in the rocky canyons, elves launched devastating ambushes in their woodland realms and dwarves stood defiant at the doors of their underground holds, but nothing could stop the darkness stretching over Teal and one by one, the forces of good were beaten into retreat, their dead rising to join the unstoppable storm. 

Learning of the destruction marching towards them, the high lords of Hundol gathered all they could into the city and began the long and arduous task of preparing for an attack. Doctor Atrius Demine began to build machines to aid in the defence, combining alloys with living creatures and in less than a year, rising thousands of mechanical defenders to the city walls. The great moat that surrounded the golden city was filled and ferocious sea creatures captured and released into the waters to deter the attackers and humanoids of all races stood shoulder to shoulder for the purity of the land. 

The battle came and despite every defence, Zembrian stormed the walls with undead spirits, fried the sea creatures with lightening wielding giants and smashed through doors with gargantuan creatures. The lords of Hundol lead the last defence, mounting and charging into the hundred thousand troops at Zembrians command and with one final push scored a grievous wound on the wizard ending his life and scattering the attackers after the magic bending their will faded. On the battlefield, staring up at the broken city, Zembrian took his last breath and with it poured his soul, his hatred and his power into one last spell. With a single word a wave of darkness rippled across Teal and all it touched were scattered into the wind, their physical form ripped into particles leaving Teal devoid of anything but broken cities and the souls of the dead waiting for release. 
  [/spoiler]

[spoiler=The people] Teal has now been inhabited by a few pockets of human life. Small villages have sprung up in the ruins of the lost cities. On the west coast, built around a ancient monument, The Crag has been built. Miles of wooden huts an shacks surround a long palace in which the Orders of Founders. There are none living who remember the first people to settle in the wasteland of Teal and none know from where they came.

[spoiler=Rae Amara] Rae is a seventeen year old girl who loves nothing more than to duel, explore and cause trouble. She has long, raven black hair and emerald eyes, her physical appearance coming more from her father than her mother. Rae resents living in The Crag and being locked behind its doors until the Founders deem her old enough to venture outside.
She is drawn towards Wolf cards and despite not being allowed to seek, she has a vast selection of cards added to the few her brother has switched to her Seeker over his six years of service.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ranst Amara] At twenty three, Ranst is five years older than his sister who shares his black hair and green eyes. Because of his more serious personality and gift for seeking cards, Ranst was youngest ever to be accepted into the Order of Founders at just nineteen. He values his title more than anything and treats his status as a curse, always pushing himself to live upto the reputation he has gained. Ranst cares for his sister a great deal and Rae is the only reason Ranst will break rules and drop his beliefs if it meant her safety. 

Ranst uses Elven cards and has gathered so many, that he has a choice of three decks, each playing out differently from the last to keep his opponents on their feet and never allow someone to build a counter to his deck. [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Taka Muzami] Taka is Raes best friend and the anchor that keeps her grounded when she can be. With mousey brown hair and brown eyes as well as being relativly short, Taka tends to blend into crowds and doesn't draw much attention to himself. Although very shy, Rae brings Taka out of his shell and will bring him out of his comfort zone and into trouble when they are together. 
Taka duels using the Mekanik deck that he inherited from his father just before he passed away. Although he lacks the confidence to duel to the best of his ability, Taka is regarded as a very good duellist by all who have the misfortune of facing the teenagers machines. [/spoiler] [/spoiler]

[spoiler=The cards]

[spoiler=Rae's Wolves]http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321258-rise-of-the-wolf-lords-14/[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Taka's Mekaniks]http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321378-mekanik-15/[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ransts Elves] Coming soon! [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Unknown Duellists Spellweavers] http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321810-spellweaver-cards/ [/spoiler]

[spoiler=unknown duellists Dwarves] Coming Soon! [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Unknown Duellists Dragons] Coming soon! [/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Unknown Duellists Gargantuans] Coming Soon! [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The technology] In this world, cards are not physical and exist as data and holograms brought to life with the duellists Seeker device. When a Founder explores Teal, they search for the scattered souls of Teals past inhabitants and using the Seeker, are able to store the found souls as data in a small disk that slots into the Seeker. This data is then transformed into cards, the type, effect and look depending entirely on who the soul belonged to and what there past life was like. With so many types of creature and humanoids roaming the afterlife of Teal, it is impossible to filter out certain cards to make a deck with synergy  and because of this, Teals marketplace buzz with data for sale.

Switching is essentially trading data with another person for money, resources or other collections of data. Founders are hired by merchants to collect data and bring it back for payment, creating a competition between the Founders for the rarest creatures and spells and the most money.

the Seeker is a small device that looks similar to a digital watch. It straps to the wrist and is the heart and soul of both founders and standard duellists. Not only is the device used to collect cards, it is also the way in which two people engage in a duel. With a small projector built into the side of the device, it projects a duel disk from the lens and allows the projection of cards in the hand and graveyard so players can interact with cards as they need too. Lifepoints are displayed on the digital panel on top of the device, replacing the soul tracker that it usually displays. Cards and decks are read from the disk slotted into the Seeker and so duel monsters can be played without the need of bulky duel disks or deck boxes.  [/spoiler]

I really like the idea of building your own duel-inspired world, and not simply sliding your characters conveniently in the already established ones (DM&GX, 5Ds or Zexal Arc5's). It is indeed really ambitions and it would be interesting too see what you'll make of it :) I won't pry for spoilers, but i hope there is a grand adventure awaiting. 

Also, i'd like to offer my help if you need any ideas of archetypes and cards, characters or anything else (too lazy to write my own original fanfic even though i have inspirations of my own i'm a really lousy writer). 

Archived