New Rap / Hip-Hop Thread

Madsen

I had to do this because I've listened to a lot of stuff I didn't before (mostly older stuff) and holy s*** I still don't know what took me so long.

I'll dump a part of my list here with some opinions:

[spoiler=]

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Literally legendary. Definitely an experience to listen for the first time. Very raw but really fun. Killer tape skit was amazing.

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap

As aware I was of this guys' existence I was majorly f***ing sleeping on him. Acip Rap is dope.

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

One of my favorite albums. So witty, incredibly entertaining. I'd say a bit hard to get into for someone who isn't super into rap because his voice and personality twists are off putting but the way the overall story is told is pretty great.

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

Very lyrically intricate, very fun. Needs a couple listens to get to that golden point where his talent really takes toll on you.

G-Eazy - These Things Happen

This guys producer is pretty good. I can't seem to get that into his voice and a lot of the lyrics but his production crew is really solid and the songs are strangely addictive.

Skee-Lo - I Wish

Lovely album. Really funny, and the rest of the album is similar to the title track so it's very 'cheerful background music'ish.

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

No words needed. Unbelievable talent, legendary tracks. I almost started to single out tracks I loved on here and I ended up with most of the album. (The Method Man collab was so dope though)

RA the Rugged Man - Legends Never Die

Actually surprisingly good. RA's flow is so amazing. I can't talk about him without mentioning RA's verse in Uncommon Valor. Straight fire.

Wale - Attention Deficit

Interesting little album but it was definitely a phase for me. Songs started to get annoying after a while, worth a listen though.

Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Amazing lyricism and production. I'll be frank I listened to this because of Shook Ones Pt II but holy s*** was it worth it.

2Pac - All Eyez on Me

Both CDs are amazing. I'm like pretty sure the common man could recognize a lot of these beats.

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

Snoop's voice and Dre/Suge production made for something really different. Doggystyle really popped for me, very enjoyable album.

Outkast - ATLiens

A huge, amazing surprise for me. I was always aware (and had prior listened to lots of) Outkast and how good they were but ATLiens is just so good. Some hip hop heads I talked to praised Andre so much I had to listen to this and f***ing s***. Really good album.

Nas - Illmatic

Pretty much ditto as above - heard Nas get so much praise I just had to listen to Illmatic and, well, again, it was a f***ing experience.

GZA - Liquid Swords

Had listened to a couple of tracks off this (Shadowboxin and 4th Chamber iirc?) and decided to listen to it to follow up 36 chambers. Every single verse seems so firmly in place. Why is water wet?

Dre - Chronic & Chronic 2001

Two classics tbh, really easy to get through both and not even realize it. Helps that I'm big into this whole Gfunk phase, features are really good and help the tracks a lot which is saying something because oftentimes you get the feeling that artist features end up as filler on some releases.[/spoiler]

Still have a long list to go, want to get through a lot of Rakim, Warren G, loooots of newer albums (I particularly want to listen to some Ye s*** after hearing what I have about his work). Discuss your favorites, what you've been listening to, anything hiphop/rap.

Wale(His songs can get a little annoying but he is a very talented artist. My favorite somgs by him would have to be Ambition, Lotus Flower Bomb, and Bad.

Meek Mill(He has to be one of those rappers that spits straight fire. He is one of the best rappers of the past decade. Sad to know he is in jail though.)

Lil Snupe( Even though he's already dead, he was one of those rappers that was like Meek Mill, he would spit straight fire)

Kendrick Lamar(This one is an explanation on it's own)

Drake( One of the best mainstream Hip Hop/R&B artists of the decade, this Canadian artist manages to sing and rap in a lot of his songs, something that a lot of rappers can't pull off)

Kanye West(Should I even explain)

This is about it, I have a very long list, but I don't want to take up a bunch of space.

Hopsin - I like his subject wordplay and flow.  Keeps away from the bullshit and turns his bars into a sermon.

SwizZz - Dude is silly, but his metaphors are phenomenal.

Dizzy Wright - Back to subject matter.  Very down to earth, sensational, spirited rapper.  Doesn't preach as much as he drops books on people's heads.

Tech N9ne - If explanation is necessary, I'm not sure what you're listening to.

Rittz - He's no Eminem, but he is FAR from slacking.  Mean flow, excellent verb usage and wordplay.

Brotha Lynch Hung - Like Tech N9ne, requires no introduction or explanation.

Andre 3000 - The pinnacle of Hip-hop diversity.  He has literally done it all, and continues to school some of these so called artists.

And just some names of solid MCs:

Busta Rhymes

Eminem

Immortal Technique

Tupac

Cypress Hill

Big Boi

Yellawolf

Childish Gambino

And most anyone who's worked with Team Backpack Cypher.

I've never really been able to get into GZA like that, he has such an awkward flow to me. Any songs you could recommend?

Listen to Liquid Swords and the 36 chamber s*** that's got GZA on it. I think a lot of appreciation for GZA comes with realizing the quality lyricism that he brings (also be prepared for like a shittonne of metaphors) - although I'm all for weirdish flows so that's got me going as well. Liquid Swords, as in the album itself, is good enough to warrant a listen through but if you want some specific tracks, the title track, Shadowboxin (mostly because I love meth so much), 4th chamber are some of my favorites. The album is very feature heavy obviously but that doesn't stop GZA from killing every single verse he has. It's so easy to get lost in his thoughts.

Hopsin - I like his subject wordplay and flow.  Keeps away from the bullshit and turns his bars into a sermon.

SwizZz - Dude is silly, but his metaphors are phenomenal.

Dizzy Wright - Back to subject matter.  Very down to earth, sensational, spirited rapper.  Doesn't preach as much as he drops books on people's heads.

Tech N9ne - If explanation is necessary, I'm not sure what you're listening to.

Rittz - He's no Eminem, but he is FAR from slacking.  Mean flow, excellent verb usage and wordplay.

Brotha Lynch Hung - Like Tech N9ne, requires no introduction or explanation.

Andre 3000 - The pinnacle of Hip-hop diversity.  He has literally done it all, and continues to school some of these so called artists.

And just some names of solid MCs:

Busta Rhymes

Eminem

Immortal Technique

Tupac

Cypress Hill

Big Boi

Yellawolf

Childish Gambino

And most anyone who's worked with Team Backpack Cypher.

I agree so much on Andre, he's absolutely amazing. Something I don't consider that important usually, but Andre's voice is so pleasant.

i think im the only hip-hop fan who cant stand Childish Gambino, havent tried out Denzel Curry yet, which album is his best?

That's okay, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I think a big part of appreciating CG comes from appreciating the way he forms his releases, his personality changes and similar. He has a lot of pretty innovative elements that make it very refreshing to hear new stuff from him. I don't know, I just consider him to be extremely talented. Not forcing anything on you, but try to listen to something you haven't heard from him.

Regarding Denzel Curry I'm also interested, haven't heard much from him either.

edit: oh, and, just to support my point of 'gza is a pretty good lyricist', http://experiments.undercurrent.com/

discuss.

That's okay, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I think a big part of appreciating CG comes from appreciating the way he forms his releases, his personality changes and similar. He has a lot of pretty innovative elements that make it very refreshing to hear new stuff from him. I don't know, I just consider him to be extremely talented. Not forcing anything on you, but try to listen to something you haven't heard from him.

Regarding Denzel Curry I'm also interested, haven't heard much from him either.

i just find Gambinos vocals to be really whinny and annoying, also his lyrics feel a bit ridiculous to me, its really hard for me to say why, but theres just something that feels off about his lyrics compared to other rappers. i also fail to see how hes unique in any sort of way, i might try out Because The Internet, just for the heck of it.

this is the only thing ive heard that involves Denzel Curry
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5flioLfkc[/media]

Unfortunately, I have a really hard time appreciating a lot of modern hip-hop artists. The only rap/hip-hop album I've enjoyed all the way through is The Money Store by Death Grips, I love how noisy and glitchy it is. If anyone can recommend more experimental stuff like that, I'd be glad to check it out.   

These are my two faves. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaWH19qGg4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZgZT4DGSY

Unfortunately, I have a really hard time appreciating a lot of modern hip-hop artists. The only rap/hip-hop album I've enjoyed all the way through is The Money Store by Death Grips, I love how noisy and glitchy it is. If anyone can recommend more experimental stuff like that, I'd be glad to check it out.

you should try out the rest of the albums by Death Grips, especially the newest one since its their weirdest and least hip-hop sounding one (though Exmilitary is my personal favorite by them)

Clipping is definitely worth checking out, theyre a hip-hop band that uses harsh noise, think Death Grips but more abrasive.

Yeezus by Kanye West has a very industrial tone to it like Death Grips, but the lyrics are insanely egotistical, so if you dont mind the lyrics then its a great album

Shabazz Palaces and Madvillian arent very Death Grips-esque but theyre still quite Experimental with their sound.

Yeezus by Kanye West has a very industrial tone to it like Death Grips, but the lyrics are insanely egotistical, so if you dont mind the lyrics then its a great album

This was the reason I didn't care for the album.  He turned into something that is not Kanye West.  He sounds ridiculous and frankly, I'm disappointed.

• 1 month later...

okay well i'm necroing this since dead section anyway

Since the OP, I've gone over a lot more shit - a looooot more shit

Got over a lot of my listening phases, for one; got down to listening to some of the things I wanted to starting with Ye and needless to say I've got like the complete works and shit now; pretty much the same for Kendrick except I only listened to his 2 albums (not counting features and shit cuz holy fuck kenny control verse). went over some pac, more biggie, more wu tang, some hov, only 2 rakim albums, some em, atcq, big L, deltron 3030 (amazing album), common, rtj blah blah the whole shabang

tl;dr rap playlist duration 4d 10:28:19.793

anyway to keep this active i guess discuss relatively recent drops and news and shit

shady xv (disappointing, was hyped cuz of detroit v everyone)

run the jewels 2 (really good album, about on level with the first one in my mind)

pinata (haven't listened to it yet but might as well put it down)

This s***?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXZ3K655qU&spfreload=10

26:23

Dizaster: "Speaking of cars. Speaking of cars, Cas. Speaking of cars. Speaking of cars, Cas, something is really wrong with you. Speaking of cars, Cas, something is really wrong with you. Alright fine, time. Go ahead, spit." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFRJ5nNpA4&spfreload=10

True review.

This s***?

Dizaster: "Speaking of cars. Speaking of cars, Cas. Speaking of cars. Speaking of cars, Cas, something is really wrong with you. Speaking of cars, Cas, something is really wrong with you. Alright fine, time. Go ahead, spit." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFRJ5nNpA4&spfreload=10

True review.

lol I mean yo honestly Dizaster wasn't on his A-game at all. The battle was horrible to say the least. I imagined it going a completely different way. Although Cassidy did kill him in the third round...

Archived