[Written] Defense Corps Archetype (12/12)

Atypical-Abbie

Defense Corps is a Warrior-Type/EARTH Archetype based around protecting other monsters by destroying themselves instead. By utilizing the protections effects, you can easily create combos that can work in your favor! The names comes from various "noble ranks".

Monsters:

Marquess of the Defense Corps
Level 4
Warrior-Type/EARTH
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. If destroyed this way: You can add 1 "Defense Corps" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Marquess of the Defense Corps". You can only use this effect of "Marquess of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
1800/1200

Nobleman of the Defense Corps
Level 4
Warrior-Type/EARTH
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. You can target 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control; destroy that target, also Special Summon 1 "Defense Corps" monster from your hand in Defense Position.  You can only use this effect of "Nobleman of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
1600/1400

Duke of the Defense Corps
Warrior-Type/EARTH
Level 3
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. If destroyed this way: You can Special Summon 1 "Defense Corps" monster from your hand in Defense Position, but place it on the bottom of your Deck when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Duke of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
700/1800

Baron of the Defense Corps
Warrior-Type/EARTH
Level 6
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. If your opponent controls a monster, and you control no monsters, other than "Defense Corps" monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position, and if you do, destroy 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control. You can only use this effect of "Baron of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
2000/2200

Earl of the Defense Corps
Warrior-Type/EARTH
Level 6
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. When exactly 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control is destroyed, except "Earl of the Defense Corps", either by battle or by card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Earl of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
1900/2300

Esquire of the Defense Corps
Warrior-Type/EARTH
Level 8
If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. If another "Defense Corps" monster you control is destroyed by battle or by card effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle that target into the Deck. You can only use this effect of "Esquire of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
2300/2500

Count of the Defense Corps
Warrior-Type/EARTH
Level 10
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During the End Phase of a turn a "Defense Corps" monster(s) you control was destroyed by battle or by card effect: You can discard 1 other card; Special Summon this card from your hand. If exactly 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control would be destroyed, either by battle or by card effect, you can destroy this card instead. If destroyed this way: Destroy all monsters your opponent controls, then you can destroy monsters you control up to the number of monsters destroyed this way. You can only use this effect of "Count of the Defense Corps" once per turn.
2700/2900

Spell/Trap Cards:

Meeting of the Defense Corps
Normal Trap Card
Target 1 "Defense Corpse" monster you control and 1 "Defense Corps" monster in your Graveyard; destroy that target, also add the second target to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Meeting of the Defense Corps" per turn.

Retreat of the Defense Corps

Counter Trap Card

When exactly 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control is targeted for an attack or effect: Target 1 other "Defense Corps" monster you control; negate the attack or effect, and if you do, destroy that card, also destroy that target.

Schedule Swift of the Defense Corps
Quick-Play Spell Card
Target 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control; destroy that target, also Special Summon 1 "Defense Corps" monster from your hand. You cannot Special Summon other monsters during the turn you activate this card, except "Defense Corps" monsters. You can only activate 1 "Schedule Swift of the Defense Corps" per turn.

Gathering of the Defense Corps
Continuous Trap Card
Target 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control; destroy that target, also Special Summon 1 "Defense Corps" monster from your Deck with the same name as that target on the field. If this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. If that monster leaves the field, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Gathering of the Defense Corps".

Strategy of the Defense Corps
Continuous Trap Card
Once per turn: You can pay 800 LP; change all "Defense Corps" monsters you control to Defense Position. This card gains these effects effects based on the number of Defense Position "Defense Corps" monsters you control:
● 1 or more: All "Defense Corps" monsters gain 500 DEF.
● 2 or more: All "Defense Corps" monsters you control can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If they do, apply their DEF for damage calculation.
● 3 or more: During your Standby Phase: You can target 1 "Defense Corps" monster you control and 2 monsters your opponent controls; destroy them. You can only use this effect of "Strategy of the Defense Corps" once per turn.

I dont know if theyre better mixed with other cards or in a deck only built around them. For me, they look really slow. You need at least 2 DC on the field to make the plays, i suggest a card that Special Summon a DC without the cost of destroying/tributing one of your monsters. This would prove to be very useful.

I think their effects are easy to counter. If your opp is aware of what they do, then he can just wait while you have 2 DC on the field until they find a way to remove them without destroying or prevent their effects from activating. Fortunately you can destroy them to get the effects, still i dont like their play style. They give me a sense that you waste much resources for nothing. Maybe you should add a better Boss monster...Sorry if i have upset you with my comment

They look like some kind of Six Samurai + Scraps archetype. How about allowing their second effects to trigger when they are destroyed by the effect of a "Defense Corps" cards? That way Nobleman and the Spell/Traps will be able to set off the effects of fellow corps and make pluses.

The above change would basically turn Nobleman into the core of the deck, and potentially make Rank4s along Marquess. Giving them their own archetype Rank4 boss would be neat as well.

The intended boss looks really weak: It takes hits and is dropped easily from the hand, but with 1900/2300 stats it won't be doing much except with the assistance of the Trap Card. If you want to take this archetype to a potetially-meta level, in addition to the above change I suggest to allow this monster to Special Summon itself from the grave: a recurring 2300 wall that comes back whenever a Corps is destroyed would grant you solid field presence, plus the possiblilty of going for Rank6s.

They look like some kind of Six Samurai + Scraps archetype. How about allowing their second effects to trigger when they are destroyed by the effect of a "Defense Corps" cards? That way Nobleman and the Spell/Traps will be able to set off the effects of fellow corps and make pluses.

The above change would basically turn Nobleman into the core of the deck, and potentially make Rank4s along Marquess. Giving them their own archetype Rank4 boss would be neat as well.

The intended boss looks really weak: It takes hits and is dropped easily from the hand, but with 1900/2300 stats it won't be doing much except with the assistance of the Trap Card. If you want to take this archetype to a potetially-meta level, in addition to the above change I suggest to allow this monster to Special Summon itself from the grave: a recurring 2300 wall that comes back whenever a Corps is destroyed would grant you solid field presence, plus the possiblilty of going for Rank6s.

I didn't really want it to be another Scrap or Yang Zing, I wanted them to play in their own unique way.

It's not the boss card, as said, it's a WIP, and there are still more to come, the full potential of the Archetype is to come. In fact, I just made some more, and it is looking pretty darn good.

Archived