[MtG] Trail of Crumbs+

.Rai

Another Earthcraft combo target, I see... this seems almost as good as Bitterblossom but I guess there's no Mistbind Clique.

I like Vosegyn and enjoy the design. Seems pretty good as a stabilizer machine gun, but I am not familiar enough with what deck he's supposed to pilot (if any). The persistence of the gold counters is very nice.

is there supposed to be a combo here i don't see? oh god the first one.

-has 20 lands tapped (yay mana generating cards)

-upkeep

-untaps

-20 1/1 birds

-opponent will most likely not be able to block all that as well as what ever other creatures you control

-gg

yeah. i'm not sure how this should be nerfed, but i think you see the need. oh i see the combo *facepalms* he generates more mana for you untap for 1/1 birds. because the birds wouldn't already be in a deck with a ton of mana generation. seems like an alright card on it's own.  

No Jinx, that's not the combo. =_=;; The card is actually fine as it enchants one land and thus generates however many tokens for however many copies of the enchant. The combo is: enchant basic Forest with Trail of Crumbs, make infi birds with Earthcraft. It's not more broken than Squirrel's Nest /as a combo/ but the card is still quite good as a 2-mana enchant that gets you free 1/1 fliers every turn.

No Jinx, that's not the combo. =_=;; The card is actually fine as it enchants one land and thus generates however many tokens for however many copies of the enchant. The combo is: enchant basic Forest with Trail of Crumbs, make infi birds with Earthcraft. It's not more broken than Squirrel's Nest /as a combo/ but the card is still quite good as a 2-mana enchant that gets you free 1/1 fliers every turn.

Except that 1/1 Flyiers > 1/1 Squirrel though

It's pushed. I intended it to be. I think it's about as good as Bitterblossom, maybe a bit worse. No tribal support, being a gold card instead of being monocoloured, the fact that black is much stronger as a base colour than green/white. I'm adding answers to it in format of course, it requires it.

This is a bit better than bitterblossom, Obviously Earthcraft breaks the card in half, but its cheaper and less mana intensive than BB or squirrels nest, you don't lose life and there's no downside to playing it. Squirrels nest requires you to tap the land and not make any mana to get the token. This just gives you value for playing Magic. I'd say bump it up to 1WW to make it more in line with BB and Squirrel's nest.

As for the other card it should read

When ~ ETB put X gold counters on ~, where x is the number of creatures in all graveyards

Remove a gold counter from ~: (effect)

This is a bit better than bitterblossom, Obviously Earthcraft breaks the card in half, but its cheaper and less mana intensive than BB or squirrels nest, you don't lose life and there's no downside to playing it. Squirrels nest requires you to tap the land and not make any mana to get the token. This just gives you value for playing Magic. I'd say bump it up to 1WW to make it more in line with BB and Squirrel's nest.

As for the other card it should read

When ~ ETB put X gold counters on ~, where x is the number of creatures in all graveyards

Remove a gold counter from ~: (effect)

Bitterblossom is 1B (not WG like this card basically is) and was heavily effective in control decks that also made great use of Spellstutter Sprite and Mistbind Clique. Somehow I don't see that happening here. (Squirrel's Nest is bad anyway except when you can actually use the token ... but that's just my opinion.)

As proved by Chained to the Rocks, these sort of cards tend to be very mana-intensive indeed.
Less so in Modern with shocks and fetches, but still a noticeably difficult card to cast. It would be perfectly fine as a mono 1WW card as well, but a bit weaker and goes into more decks.

Regarding gold counters, it's the mechanic of the set I'm making so I've had to tackle it more creatively. Players can have counters, and they can have an innate rules effect so they work perfectly fine.

Archived