[Finished][YDF] Designer Contest Series 2 - The Devil's Right Hand Man [Finished]

-Griffin

Welcome to the Designer Contest Series, the Card Contest segment of the Yugioh Designer Format. For more general info & such about the YDF, look here.

Task
Create a level 5 or 6 Monster that supports Fiend-Type monsters. It should not be a Ritual, Synchro, Pendulum, or Fusion monster as those are yet to be introduced to the format. It does not have to be a Fiend-Type Monster, though that would make sense.

Entry Requirements
There are no entry requirements, but the card will be judged based on how it would act in the YDF, not the TCG, so you should look over the current card set, here.

Deadline
This is intended to be a fairly short contest. It will close when I wake up on Sunday morning and make the closing post. Cards can be changed until that post.

Entry Fee
None, the objective of this is to make an awesome game format, not shuffle about silly internet points.

Prizes
The top card will get into the YDF. Other cards might in a modified form or in a future set, if we really like them.

Judging Criteria
The main criteria are Design Philosophy and Balance, with bonus points for Flavour and Clarity. There will be no numerical scores. The judging process will be that the submitted cards are posted to the main YDF topic & skype chat, we discuss the cards, and I will make the final verdict for the winner based on that discussion. I'll post some general comments on things that stuck out, but will give more detailed feedback on individual cards if requested.

Since I'm going to be playing and designing in the format with this card, I want them to be as good as possible, so I will give feedback asking for clarifications or pointing out major flaws in any cards I see before the deadline so they can be changed. Post your cards sooner rather than later - can only help them score higher with a bit of feedback. 

Notes on YDF Design:
Removal in general is much weaker. For high-level monsters especially, removing them can be quite costly and usually involves modifying things ATK/DEF to punch them. A new keyword/mechanic we have for this is sunder: Sunder <target> by X - {Reduce the ATK and DEF of target by X. If the DEF of the target is 0 after this effect, destroy the target.} Sunder can be used on targets with 0 ATK &/or DEF. If used on a target with 0 ATK, DEF is still reduced. If used on a target with 0 DEF it will be destroyed.

Drawing, Summoning non-specific cards, and Searching typically come with restrictions to avoid it enabling more of those and spiralling a turn into a silly instant-board-fill-combo. Because of this, searchers/consistency-boosters are less dangerous to the format, but should also follow these limits. 

Look at the current cards - there aren't that many yet so what's there will be very important.

Previous Participants:
Here are the people who've participated in previous contests in this series, with a score : 3 for each win, 2 for a runner up, 1 for posting a card.

Updated for this contest:

6 -Noel-
3 Talim Rave
2 Sleepy
2 yugiohcreator876
Zeaux
2 Seattelite
1 UnendingEmpire

[spoiler='Entry']

pVICAjJ.jpg

During the Main Phase 1, if your opponent controls a monster, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. If you do: Sunder all monsters on the field by 800, then it becomes the Main Phase 2 of this turn. Once, while this card is face-up on the field: You can add 1 Level 7 or higher Fiend-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase during the turn you activate this effect.

Welp, let me explain my card properly this time. The cards pool of Fiend-Type actually has an interesting Trap card, namely Devil's Contract. It let you Normal Summon a Fiend-Type monster directly from your Deck when your opponent Summoned a monster as a cost of LP payment when that monster leaves the field, literally a contract with devil. So I decided to place some -cheating- requirement like "During the Main Phase 1" which means "During either player's Main Phase 1" which is possible through Contract, not to mention that that controlling monster part is also guaranteed by Contract itself. So what do you get by doing so? When this monster is Normal Summoned without Tributing, it will weaken opponent's monsters quite a lot, though it sacrificed your own BP if you Summoned it normally, but with Contract, you can skip your opponent's Battle Phase while greatly decreasing their monsters' power, and on top of that, a 2.4k beater out of nowhere. Let me explain this again, it will Sunder ALL monsters on the field by 800, including itself (which will left it as 1600/100, very vulnerable to further Sunder) and skip that's turn BP regardless of whose turn it is, so if you used Contract, then it's your opponent BP that gonna be screwed, though you have to prepare for a huge 2400 dmg of Contract.

The last effect is obviously for our boss who can be Normal Summoned with 1 Tribute. And with possible cards that will be released in mind, I placed a BP cost on that effect, though it wouldn't hurt our current and only boss that much.

Ruling:

- You cannot search a Lv.7+ Fiend-Type during the M2 of the turn you Normal Summoned this card without Tributing, since M2 implies that you already went through your BP.

[/spoiler]

So, I'm a little concerned about its stat-line as 2600 is extremely good for a L5/6, and its only downside is its DEF since all its effects are optional. I'm even more concerned about how good a 2600 no-tribute is. If Sunder isn't overly common in the format, this card could be a staple even outside of Fiend Decks, and it might be that even with a fair bit of Sunder around, due to the lack of downsides. 

ALRIGHT, let's try this again...

WitheringDemon_zps23535bfa.jpg

You may discard one card from your hand to place 1 Wither Counter on this card. At the start of each Battle Phase, Sunder all non-Fiend monsters by 500x the number of Wither Counters on this card. (This effect is permanent.)

(This will sunder any non-Fiends you have as well, to reflect how only certain kinds of souls can withstand this creature's cruel aura. Also, yes that is Minecraft's Wither Boss and Steve in the pic. I'm also not sure if Sunder is natively permanent or not, hence the wording.)

That one has very low stats for its level. Even assuming you get it out with Mystic Tomato, it's cost is so high it would almost never be worth it: You might kill one 200 or less DEF monster on the turn you Summon this, but after that the Sunder is very low so it can be played around extremely easily. I think even Fiend Decks would rather run Living Fossil of Power for an ATK edge.

[spoiler=Card]

ebOvkxj.jpg

You can reveal this card and 1 other Fiend-Type monster in your hand: Normal Summon this card without tribute. Immediately after this card was Normal Summoned, you can Normal Summon 1 Fiend-Type monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set, and if you do, reduce its ATK to 0 and make this card gain that same amount of ATK until the end of this turn. (You can only gain this effect once per turn and only this card can declare an attack this turn.)

Level 5 with no Tribute to Summon is pretty scary, especially when it can bring a additional friend to the field. While it seems pretty good, it has a lot of drawbacks. If this card is the only monster you have in hand, his effect becomes useless and it will only be a beaststick (which can still be destroyed by Blue or Green Rose) for the price of a tribute. I also created rules to explain the effect better (some of them can be considered drawbacks or a plus)

#Ruling 1: If this card is tributed to Summon the additional monster, that monster will still not be able to attack this turn.

#Ruling 2: If this card is Summoned during your opponent's turn and activate its effect, your opponent won't be able to declare an attack "(You can only gain this effect once per turn and only this card can declare an attack this turn.)", but this card must activate its full effect. Otherwise, if it gets negated or something, your opponent can attack.

#Ruling 3: If an attack was already declared this turn, even if it gets negated, this card won't be able to activate its effect.

[/spoiler]

How does he activate his 'full' effect on the opponent's turn? Can you make the second Normal Summon at any time as a Quick Effect? That sounds very weird mechanics-wise, if so.

Is the 0 ATK and ATK gain both just for the turn, or is the 0 ATK permanent and the ATK gain temporary?

It wasn't supposed to work like a quick effect. I'll add "Immediately after you Normal Summon this card" to the lore. It can activate its effect during the opponent's turn via Devil's Contract or any other cards on the future set, by "full" I mean: summon the other monster and activate the effect. It can activate the effect but, if for some reason, it gets negated by a card, it was not the full effect. And yes, the ATK loss is permanent and the ATK gain is temporary.

So, I'm a little concerned about its stat-line as 2600 is extremely good for a L5/6, and its only downside is its DEF since all its effects are optional. I'm even more concerned about how good a 2600 no-tribute is. If Sunder isn't overly common in the format, this card could be a staple even outside of Fiend Decks, and it might be that even with a fair bit of Sunder around, due to the lack of downsides. 

I don't get what eff are optional, since it must Sunder and skip ur own BP if you NS it w/o Tributing during your own turn, and the last eff is just simply ignition. Regardless, about its stat I think I will use my editing right right now.

[spoiler='Bellua']QcDKOyQ.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 1 Fiend-Type monster in your Graveyard.You can pay 1000 Life Points to Special Summon 1 Fiend-Type monster from the Graveyard. You can only activate this effect when you have 3000 or less Life points/You can only use the effect of "Bellua" once per turn.[/spoiler]

It wasn't supposed to work like a quick effect. I'll add "Immediately after you Normal Summon this card" to the lore. It can activate its effect during the opponent's turn via Devil's Contract or any other cards on the future set, by "full" I mean: summon the other monster and activate the effect. It can activate the effect but, if for some reason, it gets negated by a card, it was not the full effect. And yes, the ATK loss is permanent and the ATK gain is temporary.

With those changes, it feels fairly balanced and does a few interesting things. My main concern now would just be its mechanical complexity - both in the effect and the rulings/amount of rulings it needs.

I don't get what eff are optional, since it must Sunder and skip ur own BP if you NS it w/o Tributing during your own turn, and the last eff is just simply ignition. Regardless, about its stat I think I will use my editing right right now.

I meant that you can treat it as a level 6 beater with no effects, or a super-powered no-tribute that has a decent upside (Sunder) and a downside (skip BP). I'm still iffy on how good a splashable 2300 no-tribute 800-AoE-Sunder is. It's helped by skipping BP, but that's still pretty huge.

Alright, I made changes to my Withering Demon. 'stretches' ...I hurt everywhere. Why do I hurt everywhere...

I think this card is in a decent place now - it's effect can be really scary since it protects itself from battle, but it has plenty of counters, including Book of Moon for one.

@Bellua: With no downsides, safety clauses, constraints, or real cost, this card is far too powerful. It would be powerful without the second effect at all, assuming the summoning condition removes fro the Grave.

I meant that you can treat it as a level 6 beater with no effects, or a super-powered no-tribute that has a decent upside (Sunder) and a downside (skip BP). I'm still iffy on how good a splashable 2300 no-tribute 800-AoE-Sunder is. It's helped by skipping BP, but that's still pretty huge.

Derp, it seems I somehow messed up with the power level of mechanic that I'm not familiar with. Last edit is done.

Try not to make it too hard to summon; that defeats the point of it being a level 5-6. Costs that are harder to pay multiple times a turn, limits on what it can target, once per turn clauses, and maybe some restriction on what situations you can use the effect in would work better to balance it out. 

7uAfeiC.jpg

Other WATER or Fiend-Type monsters you control cannot be destroyed in battle. If an opponent's monster battles a WATER or Fiend-Type monster, after damage calculation: Sunder the opponent's monster by 500. When this card destroys a monster in battle: Gain LP equal to its Level or Rank x300.

@seattelite I'd change the first effect to "WATER or Fiend-Type monsters you control cannot be destroyed in battle except "Snowbomination"." to avoid funky setups with two of them, but that might not even be required since its a tribute monster. Seems like a solid card. 

@Everyone: Contest closes tomorrow!

After some comments in the thread and giving the cards another look, I've decided -Noel-'s Malicious Bringer wins this one. The AoE sunder ended up being a cool possibility of a comeback mechanic, and my previous choice of Snowbomination might be just a bit too tough given we have such limited removal. That said, Snowbomination and Withering Demon are going to be tied as the runners up here.

Congrats to Noel on winning two of these in a row. 

Archived