[Archetype] Craglords

themonkeyspower

The Craglords are based around easily accessing their field spell which grants the monsters access to destruction prevention and a multitude of abilities. With the drawback of not being able to go into xyz monsters the main goal is to build up multiple monsters to utilize their synergistic effects and can now go into their new fusion monster if needed. The deck can also utilize cards such as Gaia Plate as an easy to summon beater and Block Golem to bring back monsters for a +1 that can bring out the fusion or wait a turn to use their effects.

[spoiler="Main Deck"][spoiler=Monsters]LxDGQNG.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control. Once per turn, you can remove 3 Rubble Counters from an “Everheight Crag” you control: destroy a card your opponent controls. This card cannot be used as an Xyz material.[/spoiler]
Hi1nuGu.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. When this card is Summoned: Add 1 "Everheight Crag" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Craglord Recruit" once per turn. This card cannot be used as an Xyz material.[/spoiler]

L9n5dvz.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Cannot be Normal Summoned/ Set. If you control only a "Crag" monster(s), you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Craglord Supervisor" once per turn this way. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. This card cannot be used as an Xyz material, except when the other material is a “Crag” monster you control and this card is treated as level 8 for that Xyz Summon.[/spoiler]

KToeFJD.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead.You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Craglord Surveyor" per turn, and only once that turn. 

*When this card is Summoned: you can discard 1 card; add 1 “Crag” card from your Deck to your hand.

*Once per turn, you can remove 2 “Rubble Counter” from an “Everheight Crag” you control; add 1 “Crag” card from your Deck to your hand. This card cannot be used as an Xyz material.[/spoiler]
1E6W1YQ.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can return 1 "Crag" card you control to the top of your deck. You cannot activate this effect if you activated it last turn. This card cannot be used as an Xyz material.[/spoiler]

UqMSZ0k.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 1 "Crag" monster you control. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. If this card attacks, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. An "Everheight Crag" card you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Spells]u4X3LV7.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, you can remove Rubble Counters from an "Everheight Crag" on your side of the field; activate an effect based on the amount removed:

1: Target 1 "Crag" monster you control, it gains 800 ATK until the End Phase.
3: Target 1 “Crag” card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

4: Target 3 cards in your Graveyard; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card.[/spoiler]
DOSF1JJ.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once while this card is face-up on the field, you can add Rubble Counters to this card equal to the number of “Crag” cards on your side of the field. Once while this card is face-up on the field, you can special summon 1 level 4 "Crag" monster from your Graveyard in defense position, its effect cannot be activated this turn. You can only activate each effect of "Cragslide" once per turn and only once that turn.[/spoiler]

PyQfsnc.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Once per turn, you can send 1 Rock-type monster or “Crag” spell you control to the Graveyard: add 2 Rubble Counters to this card Once per turn, you can remove all “Rubble Counters” from cards on your side of the field and add them to this card. You can discard this card; place 1 Rubble Counter on all “Crag” monsters you control. There can only be 10 Rubble Counters on this card.[/spoiler]
 pPEMlTd.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Equip only to a “Crag” monster. Once per turn, you can remove 3 Rubble Counters from an “Everheight Crag” you control, and if you do target 1 card on the field; banish it until the End Phase. During either player's turn, if a "Crag" monster you control would be destroyed by battle while this card is in your Graveyard, you can banish this card instead.[/spoiler]

J722Bym.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Send 1 Crag monster from your deck to the Graveyard; reveal 1 level 4 or lower rock monster in your hand; its effect and name becomes the same as the monster sent to the Graveyard then special summon the monster from your hand. You cannot Special Summon any other monsters this turn, except Crag monsters.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Extra Deck']DT6BO0I.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 level 8 monster

This card also counts as “Everheight Crag” while face up on the field. You can remove all Rubble Counters of the field and add that many to this card. Once per turn, you can add 2 Rubble Counter: you can destroy 1 Crag card you control. This card gains 100 ATK for each Rubble Counter on an “Everheight Crag” you control and has piercing battle damage. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card would leave your side of the field, you can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card and remove all Rubble Counters (Min. 1) from this card instead. If you activate this effect this card cannot attack during your next Battle Phase. When this card declares an attack, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.[/spoiler]

QgG6mQr.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']1 "Crag" monsters + 1 or more Rock- Type monsters

Must be first Special Summoned by sending the above cards you control to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization"). (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. This card gains effects based on the amount of materials used to summon this monster.
*2 or more: If this card inflicts battle damage you can add 1 Crag card from your Graveyard to your hand.
*3 or more: If this card inflicts battle damage: add Rubble Counter(s) to it equal to its level. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.
*4 or more: You can remove 1 Rubble Counter: target 1 card on the field; negate the activation and effects of that card until the End Phase.

*5: If a Crag monster inflicts battle damage: Special Summon 1 Crag monster with a different name from your hand or deck.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

CnC, comments, opinions, etc. are appreciated

[spoiler='Edits']

EDITS

1/11/15

- Removed Craglord's Scepter

- Removed the tribute effect of Recruit

- Altered the second effect of Constructor

1/12/15

- Remade Craglord's Scepter

1/18/15

- Changed level of Golcliffs and Archaeologist

- Altered requirements for Golcliff, Crag incarnate

1/19/15

- Altered requirements for Archaeologist

- Add protection effect for Archaeologist

1/25/15

- Gave Archaeologist piercing

- Gave Slide a special summoning effect

1/31/15

- Set a maximum amount of counters on Everheight

2/1/15

- Altered constructor's effect

- Put a harder restriction on Cragslides adding counters effect

2/9/15

- Changed Crag Incarnate into an xyz and reduced the stats

- Removed Archaeologist's piercing effect and mover buffing effects to 3 materials

8/15/15

-Golcliff effect usable on either turn

9/5/15

-Major balances

[/spoiler]

I dislike how Recruit can search the Field Spell and THEN tribute itself to Summon Surveyor and either fix the hand and/or get an additional search with its second effect. You should remove that last effect of Recruit in my opinion.

Scepter is just a bland deck thinner and consistency tool for the archetype, even worse when the archetype already has other searchers. Players shouldn't make thoughtless cards like this in my opinion. I would suggest to make a Stratos-ish searcher instead but you already made Surveyor for that purpose.

That aside, the archetype's playstyle is strange in that they are resistant to destruction, but at the same time they lack of removal tools to disrupt the opponent, with the exception of Blessing, which is the saving grace of the archetype in my opinion. Aside of Blessings, they appear to rely on ATK boosts and reductions to beat the opponent and its monsters, but said strategy could be often countered by monsters resilient to attacks and Battle-Phase backrow.

However, that was what I noticed from the tournament, but I see that they got Contact Fusions. One of their glaring weaknesses was that, because of their non-Xyz clause, they couldn't bring beaters or card removers to the field to deal with stronger monsters before the opponent destroyed the Level4 Crags, but with the contact Fusions that shouldn't no longer be an issue. They still can't access the Rank4 pool, but just from looking at it, Archaeologist should provide them with a much needed punch.

Craglord Constructor

Once per turn, during either player’s turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Rubble Counter from an “Everheight Crag” you control instead. You can only use this effect once while it is on the field. Once per turn, you can activate one of the following effects:
Special Summon 1 Rubble Token (Rock-type/ EARTH/ level 4/ ATK ?/DEF ?) Its ATK and DEF is equal to the number of Rubble Counters on an “Everheight Crag” you control (right now).[/size]
* Target one monster your opponent controls; until the End Phase, its effect becomes: This card loses 100 ATK for each Rubble Counter on an “Everheight Crag” you control.
While you control a Rubble Token that is in face-up attack position “Crag” monsters cannot be targeted by card effects. [/size]This card cannot be used as an Xyz material.

I don't think this does what you think it does.

Despite me not playing with/ aganist the deck I doubt any of your fs's will get 100 or more counters, so that token won't have much (I believe you meant = to counters x100?).

​And the second effect will not decrease your opponents monsters ATK, because unless they are also running crags, they won't have an Everheight Crag.

It's weird how I just tend to agree with Voltex on everything.

Recruit: Literally too much for an archetype that already promotes no kinds of player interaction. Not only does it search on summon...which I'm already displeased that you can keep summoning that thing and therefore keep searching. It gets to sac itself and go into the deck and ss anythings. Its a one card toolbox. Definitely not a fan. Like stated before the last effect should just be deleted and there should be some kind of "You can only use one effec of "Craglord Recruit" once per turn.

Scepter: Surveyor, Recruiter, Supervisor, and Peak are already searchers. Why is Scepter a thing? I personally think having more than two non-specific searchers is just plain old excessive as it doesn't even make consistency an issue its now just a series who searches who +0 card exchanges (i.e. Spellbooks, thought technically even they have less searchers than these) first.

As for playstyle...anything that does this level of "not interacting" while also being this complex is slightly off-putting to me. I tend to read that as complex stalling which is never fun. Then again that is purely just me and my personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived