[Archetype] Death Mark (10/10)

Atypical-Abbie

Death Mark is a Level 4-5 Winged Beast/DARK Archetype that is based around Defense Position. They do various things while in Defense Position or can do things to other monsters in Defense Position. They also have various Normal Trap Cards to support them.

This is another Archetype I made a while ago, in fact, in July last year. I made some slight changes here and there to fix some outdates PSCT, and I added a new card, Croww, but other than that, I haven't changed too much about the.

Main Deck Monsters:

Death Mark Peacoxx

Winged Beast-Type/DARK

Level 4

When this card is Normal Summoned, if your opponent controls a monster in Defense Position, or they control no monsters: You can target 1 "Death Mark" monster in your Graveyard, except "Death Mark Peacoxx"; change this card to Defense Position, and if you do, Special Summon that target in Defense Position, but its effects are negated, its DEF becomes 0. You can only use this effect of "Death Mark Peacoxx" once per turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Death Mark" monster you control in Defense Position; its Level becomes 5 and it gains 300 DEF.

1500/1700

Death Mark Vulturr

Winged Beast-Type/DARK
Level 4

If this card is Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position, and if you do, its Level becomes 5. While this card is in Defense Position, your opponent cannot target monsters you control for attacks, except if they control a monster(s) in Defense Position. When this card in your possession is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): You can add 1 "Death Mark" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Death Mark Vulturr". You can only use 1 effect of "Death Mark Vulturr" per turn, and only once that turn.

1200/2000

Death Mark Croww

Winged Beast-Type/DARK
Level 4

If a "Death Mark" monster you control is targeted for an attack or effect: You can discard 1 other card; Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position, and if you do, negate that attack or effect. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Death Mark" Trap Card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Death Mark Croww" once per turn.

1300/1900

Death Mark Owll

Winged Beast-Type/DARK

Level 5

If you control 2 or more "Death Mark" monsters in Defense Position, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) in Defense Position. You can only Special Summon "Death Mark Owll" this way once per turn. While this card is in Defense Position, all "Death Mark" monsters you control can attack while they are in Defense Position. If they do, apply their DEF for damage calculation. If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent while in Defense Position: You can target 1 "Death Mark" Trap Card in your Graveyard; Set that target. You can only use this effect of "Death Mark Owll" once per turn.

1700/2400

Death Mark Hawkk

Winged Beast-Type/DARK

Level 5

If you control a "Death Mark" monster in Defense Position, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position, then target 1 "Death Mark" monster in your Graveyard, except "Death Mark Hawkk"; add that target to your hand. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card as Xyz Material gains this effect.

● When it is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 "Death Mark" card in your Graveyard; attach that target to this card as an Xyz Material.

2000/2200

Extra Deck Monsters:

Death Mark Albatrozz

Winged Beast-Type/DARK

Rank 5

2 or more Level 5 DARK monsters

You can target 1 face-up Defense Position monster your opponent controls; attach that target to this card as an Xyz Material. You can only use this effect of "Death Mark Albatrozz" once per turn. During your opponent's End Phase: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-up Defense Position, also its effects are negated and its DEF becomes 0. If this card has an opponent's monster as Xyz Material, if it attacks a Defense Position monster, it inflicts piercing battle damage to your opponent.

2600/2400

Trap Cards:

Death Mark From Above

Normal Trap Card

Target 2 or more "Death Mark" monsters you control in Defense Position; immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 DARK Xyz Monster using those monsters only, then draw 1 card.

Death Mark Deep Dive

Normal Trap Card

If your opponent controls a Defense Position monster and you control no monsters: Target 1 "Death Mark" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position, and if you do, until the end of the turn, it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. You can only activate 1 "Death Mark Deep Dive" per turn.

Death Mark Mysterious Eggs

Normal Trap Card

Target 1 "Death Mark" monster you control; it gains DEF equal to half its ATK until the end of this turn. If this card in your possession is destroyed by your opponent's card effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it. You must control a "Death Mark" monster to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only activate 1 "Death Mark Mysterious Eggs" once per turn.

Death Mark - The Mark

Normal Trap Card

Send 1 "Death Mark" card from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard, except "Death Mark - The Mark"; change the battle position of all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls to Defense Position, and if you do, they cannot change their battle positions until your the end of your opponent's next turn, also they lose 500 DEF. You can only activate 1 "Death Mark - The Mark" per turn.

Another DARK/Winged Beast archetype. Nothing wrong against them, but when we already have Blackwings and now Raid Raptors, it feels kinda boring and wish they had a different Attribute instead; but that's just me. I'm just saying.

Peacoxx

The "1-card ED" monster of the archetype. This one should be fine. Nowadays you need at least 1 card like this to be relevant.

Vulrurr

The searcher monster of the archetype, in this case a floater. Another basic card for the modern archetypes. This should be fine, too.

Croww

Now this card crossed the line. First it can negate targeting effects without any cost, so it can potentially make a plus by negating something like Compulsory, Book of Moon, etc. Sure, it is a bit situational and the opponent can force you to use it through attacks, but the potential is still there. Then, it becomes into an actual plus with its second effect. So it's a hand trap and a Trap recycler in 1.

Owll

Oh look, it's the "Heavy Samurai" gimmick. I should have seen this coming, considering the archetype's DEF Position gimmick and their DEF stats, plus the Synchro8 you made a while ago with the same effect. It recycles Traps like Croww too. Anyways, this card looks fine. It's like Faultroll in that it enables the archetype to swarm, but with a more slower, fair effect that requires it to battle first.

Hawkk

A monster recycler. Not really impressive but it can become ridiculous in combination with Owll. In a way, its like the Ragigura of the archetype.

Albatrozz

The mandatory archetype boss. And is a reverse S.H.Ark that takes any monster in DEF instead of Special Summoned monsters in ATK; however, it doesn't come with protection from destruction, but that doesn't make the card any less bad. The second effect is slow and somewhat costly, but when it can replenish materials with its first effect, said cost can be mitigated. The last effect feels like an overkill.

Mark from Above

Kinda weak. Xyz Summoning during the opponent's turn is a cute trick but as a -1 it is often not worth it. Artifacts have a similar card and I have not seen them playing it.

Deep Dive

Archetype reborn with protection bonus. This looks fine.

Mysterious Eggs

The card was fine until I read the Sanctum-ish second effect. Really, punishing the opponent for blind-MSTing this card just because "you may as well" doesn't look fair. However, it does require you to control an archetype monster to work, so that makes it a bit more fair, but still.

The Mark

It looks fine. Basically the biggest weapon of the archetype's arsenal, good for disruption and breaking through the opponent's field. and comes with a cost. It combos a bit too well with Croww, but I would say the problem card here is Croww.

In short, they look like what you get when BWs meet X-Sabers, and Croww needs a fix.

Another DARK/Winged Beast archetype. Nothing wrong against them, but when we already have Blackwings and now Raid Raptors, it feels kinda boring and wish they had a different Attribute instead; but that's just me. I'm just saying.

As I said, I made these back in July, where Raidraptors weren't revealed yet.

Changed some cards around.

Archived