[Archetype] Sentai HERO...Hero World Inspired

Love of Ghibli

I finally made a Pop Culture set of cards based off the whole Super Sentai concept and because I love the names of all the spell from Hero World in the game Buddyfight. The deck itself is about getting heroes on the board to do all of the fun special extra deck shenans. Initially I didn't make any custom extra deck bossess from them because I wanted to use what DP had to offer. Then after reading through all of the fusions I realize there are like...4...I found 4 generic fusions and I think only 1 of them is useable by the set so it looks like I have to go make fusions now. Nevertheless here are the current cards.

[spoiler: Monsters]

[spoiler: Black]

mHJm39n.jpg

[spoiler: Lore]

If you control 2 or more "HERO" monsters you can Special Summon this monster (from your hand). During either player's turn you can banish this card from your graveyard to target one Special Summoned monster. That monster is unaffected by other card effects till the end of the turn.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Red]

FWK85bq.jpg

Once per turn when a "Sentai HERO" other than "Sentai HERO Red" activates an effect you can add 1 "Sentai HERO" monster other than "Sentai HERO Red" from your deck to your hand. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Blue]

Qdcixt8.jpg

When this monster is Normal Summoned you can destroy Spell and Trap cards up to the number of "Sentai Hero" monsters you control. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Gold]

U7GaTEH.jpg

If this card was used as either a Synchro, Xyz or Fusion material with another "Sentai HERO" card: draw 1 card. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Green]

CLBbKuM.jpg

Once per turn when you summon a "Sentai HERO" monster is Normal Summoned you can add 1 Continuous Spell or Trap Card from your deck to your hand. You can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control as Fusion Materials, including this card. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Yellow]

BfWsHJo.jpg

Detach 1 Xyz material from all Xyz monsters on the field to have this monster gain ATK equal to the DEF of all Xyz monsters that were effected by this effect. You can only use the effect of "Sentai HERO Yellow" once per turn. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Spell and Traps]

ZeAib7N.jpg

Negate the activation of an opponents Spell or Trap card and destroy it. You must control a "Sentai HERO" monster to activate this card.[/spoiler]

RmlZ6wm.jpg

Once per turn you can activate 1 of the following effects: 
*Negate the attack of one monster.
*Negate any effect damage you take this turn
*When a monster you control is targeted by a card effect negate that card effect and if you do destroy it.
[/spoiler]

l72D76u.jpg
Once per turn, when you take Battle Damage from a battle or Effect Damage, you can Special Summon 1 "Sentai HERO" monster from your Deck with ATK less than or equal to the Damage you took. [/spoiler]

dvfGd5v.jpg
During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "HERO" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) Once per turn if 1 of your "HERO" monsters is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the graveyard you can return that monster to either your Hand or Deck. [/spoiler]

[zLrZ0ll.jpg
Once per turn at the start of your Battle Phase send 1 "Sentai HERO" monster you control to the graveyard to increase the ATK of all "HERO" monsters you control equal to the ATK of the sent monsters. When a "HERO" monster you control attacks your opponent cannot activate Spell or Trap cards till the end of the Damage Step. [/spoiler]

BpHJaW3.jpg
Send 2 "Sentai HERO" monsters you control to the graveyard to activate 1 of the following effects:
*Special Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck. (This summon is treated as a Fusion Summon)
*Special Summon 1 Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck who level is equal to the combined level of the 2 "Sentai HERO" monsters sent to the graveyard. (This summon is treated as a Synchro Summon).
* Special Summon 1 Xyz monster from your Extra Deck whose rank is equal to the level of 1 of the "Sentai HERO" monsters sent to the graveyard. Attach this card to it as Xyz Material. (This summon is treated as an Xyz Summon)
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Questions, comments and concerns are greatly appreciated.

Not really a fan of the images you used for artworks but I will leave that aside because it is not the most important thing to discuss.

Anyways, I have yet to see the archetype in action, but just from looking at the cards I think they may slightly be on the wrong side of the balance line.

First, as HEROes they get Mask Chnage support, which means access to Dark Law and any other relevant Masked HEROes. They also get access to Absolute-0, in case you feel like teching Miracle Fusion and a couple of WATERs (or rely on Blue).

Then, the Spell/Trap support is really solid:

- They have a Tensu, which not only allows the archetype to swarm faster, but also enables cool combos with Red and Green. Really, some archetypes out there would die for a Tensu, and these guys got it. And as if that wasn't enough, this same Tensu allows you to recover advantage.

- Not a fan of the last effect of "Seen Theough your moves". Negating attacks OPT is fine, not that different to Scrap Iron Scarecrow, but in my opinion it crosses the line with the anti-targeting effect. It basically makes your opponent unaffected by most forms of removal. Also, it is not archetype-specific so you could splash this anywhere and enjoy your pseudo-immunity to targeting.

- Never Surrender looks strong as a searcher that places the monster directly on the field, but the conditions make it silly. However, with Yellow's and Green's low ATK it shouldn't be difficult to bring them to the field.

- They even have their own Counter Trap, which be honest is kinda boring and feels like deck/archetype filler. I mean, the card is not exactly creative: it's just an archetype Counter. At least it doesn't stop anything like that annoying Infernity Barrier.

- "Time to get Serious" looks fine. Gives the Ancient Gear clause to your monsters and can boost the ATK of your monsters at a cost.

- Megazord Sequence is too dangerous. Access to basically any Fusion, Synchro 6~8 or Rank 3~4 is scary. Since the monsters are treated as being Summoned properly, you could bring monster "locked" with the "Must be X Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways" clause.

Most of the monsters look fine on paper, but there may be a couple of issues on practice, such as the advantage generated by Black and Gold. The only issue I spot is Green's searching effect being too generic. How about searching for that Vanity Emptiness or other floodgates?

Not really a fan of the images you used for artworks but I will leave that aside because it is not the most important thing to discuss.

Anyways, I have yet to see the archetype in action, but just from looking at the cards I think they may slightly be on the wrong side of the balance line.

First, as HEROes they get Mask Chnage support, which means access to Dark Law and any other relevant Masked HEROes. They also get access to Absolute-0, in case you feel like teching Miracle Fusion and a couple of WATERs (or rely on Blue).

Then, the Spell/Trap support is really solid:

- They have a Tensu, which not only allows the archetype to swarm faster, but also enables cool combos with Red and Green. Really, some archetypes out there would die for a Tensu, and these guys got it. And as if that wasn't enough, this same Tensu allows you to recover advantage.

- Not a fan of the last effect of "Seen Theough your moves". Negating attacks OPT is fine, not that different to Scrap Iron Scarecrow, but in my opinion it crosses the line with the anti-targeting effect. It basically makes your opponent unaffected by most forms of removal. Also, it is not archetype-specific so you could splash this anywhere and enjoy your pseudo-immunity to targeting.

- Never Surrender looks strong as a searcher that places the monster directly on the field, but the conditions make it silly. However, with Yellow's and Green's low ATK it shouldn't be difficult to bring them to the field.

- They even have their own Counter Trap, which be honest is kinda boring and feels like deck/archetype filler. I mean, the card is not exactly creative: it's just an archetype Counter. At least it doesn't stop anything like that annoying Infernity Barrier.

- "Time to get Serious" looks fine. Gives the Ancient Gear clause to your monsters and can boost the ATK of your monsters at a cost.

- Megazord Sequence is too dangerous. Access to basically any Fusion, Synchro 6~8 or Rank 3~4 is scary. Since the monsters are treated as being Summoned properly, you could bring monster "locked" with the "Must be X Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways" clause.

Most of the monsters look fine on paper, but there may be a couple of issues on practice, such as the advantage generated by Black and Gold. The only issue I spot is Green's searching effect being too generic. How about searching for that Vanity Emptiness or other floodgates?

Okay I'll take each statement one at a time.

Other HERO stuff: Yes the goal for a lot of the cards are meant to be generic HERO support I tend to do that. Try to support other things instead of making a set for itself. So yes they are meant to abuse certain cards (Like Mask Change). Though to be completely honest I thought all of the Element based HERO fusion required an "Elemental HERO" + the Attribute so synergy with Miracle Fusion was completely unitentional. Also there is a note that states that Black was changed to an Earth Monster so they don't have any access to Dark Law.

Justice Will Prevail: These particular heroes don't swarm. Or at least not what I define as swarm anyway. Since the only main deck monster that can special summon itself in any way is Black. Also no main deck monster can special summon another monster from the main deck or the graveyard. It is because of those lack of effects that I gave them a tensu and why Green and Red have their effects that trigger on the normal summon of another Sentai HERO.

I've seen through all your moves: Flavor wise all three effects symbolizes a monster/player dodging something. As for the targeting. That in itself is something that gets baited and it is a one-off thing meaning that once it happens that's it for the turn. I made the judgement call that it would be enough. Second as for it being "splashable" the card is created to preserve yourself. Since it in no way pushes the game in your favor not many (if any) would ever really use it.

Never Give Up Never Surrender: Being a continuous trap reduces how impactful it really is mainly because everyone sees it coming. It is also why a couple heroes have hilariously low attack

...Or so the dream I had went: Like stated earlier the names for the spells and traps are inspired/taken from Hero World from Buddyfight. "...Or so the dream I had went" is a counterspell that is made to counter spells so I literally translated that to Yugioh terminology.

Megazord Sequence Activated: I have stopped actually using it as a card because of how bad on paper it is. In actual practice I've never used it. You don't have two Sentai monsters on the field that can't be used for another summon that would be better than this -1. But yes I do realize what it says on paper. The problem is that the only way I could nerf it would be to make it archetype specific and then go through the trouble of making a bunch of Extra Deck monsters for them. Which was not what they were made for.

Floodgates: Yes Green does have the ability to search floodgates the flip side of that is that all of the floodgates go against the everything green and the other heroes are about. You literally have no option to play the game with a Sentai Hero deck that isn't special summoning from the extra deck so its not likely that you would even search vanity's. Even the whole Set-up, end phase Vanity's line of thought doesn't work because only 1-2 cards actually protect the one special summoned monster you will control. Skill Drain renders all of the main deck monsters bar gold and black useless which is counterproductive. Royal Decree...well its a bunch of trap cards in the set so that would be pretty...not smart to truly use. If I were to nerf Green the only thing I can currently think of is that I add some word to all of the Spells and Traps like "HERO Rule #..." making the spells and traps their own sub archetype and allowing Green to only search those.

Advantage: I curious as to what advantage means now. Gold is certainly a +1, but because that is directly linked to extra deck special summons it just my way of doing the whole "recovering resources" thing that people do when we try to give material support. Unfortunately Gold at its most has just drawn more cards and those cards don't really do anything.

In practice: While I am the first to say that this isn't a defense for bad design the deck has only won 1 match in all of the play testing games (upward of 10 now). They were made to be casual play, and as such they pretty much get destroyed by everyones attempts at current TCG metagame. Like the anime you basically make one extra deck monster and try to get as much out of that one extra deck monster that you can before it dies and you have to make another extra deck monster.

While I hope your review wasn't from my rant in the Nethersouls thread, even if it was thank you for your time and have a lovely day.

Not going to lie: the rant motivated me to drop the review. But I tried to be fair and cover it up by posting on all the recent DP threads.

On swarming, yes, I don't see them dropping 3+ monsters every turn and perhaps "swarm" was the wrong word. What I meant is that it enables them to make Xyz/Synchros more easily, plus in combination with Gold, Red and Green, it can generate advantage faster in the process. Or rather, this card makes Red, Green and Gold more live. Then it has that Madolche Chateau-ish effect.

I insist against the anti-targeting effect because it can be really annoying. I once fought against a card that did a similar thing (protect archetype monsters from targeting OPT) and it indeed was a real pain to deal with. Yes, it may appear harmless on paper, but when you can stop 1 targeting card per turn, every turn, then either your opponent:

1. Reserves its resources until it draws MST or removes the Trap through other means.

2. Takes the bullet and spends its targeting cards until its resources are gone.

Either way, you are applying considerable pressure on the opponent, and just with a single card. In a way, it is like a floodgate.

Gold enables +0 Extra Deck Summons, and if that Extra Deck monster can make pluses on its own, in theory you can keep your advantage up. However, it is not that different to "Star Drawing" and it doesn't have an additional effect so it should be fine.

Archived