[Archetype] Breeze

-Noel-

Well, like my previous archetypes that were made by expanding a single card, this one was made when I browsed DP cards for some good generic stuffs and found Voltex's Gentle Breeze. It's basically an E-Tele for Lv.2 or lower WIND with a hard OPT. Despite being one of my favorite attribute, WIND monsters pooI are really poor be it TCG (bar THSF) or DP Meta, so I decided to made a dedicated archetype around said card. The archetype were made with majority of Main Deck members being Tuners due to their low level nature, so they could Synchro Summoning quick and consistently and sometime Xyz. Also they reflect WIND's concepts in general; bounce stuffs and S/T hate.

The main problem with the deck I found after playing them through the tour is the pluses I gained from a consistent play of Paladin reviving Tuners. All of them have effects that could make plus (add Spell/add monster/bounce) when Special Summoned so it made the overall process at least +1 even before Synchro/Xyz. Changes were made considered that as a top priority. There're also some individual problems on some cards that I will soon mention.

[spoiler=Monsters]Effect Monsters[spoiler="Breeze Wanderer"]

2dbpiLV.jpg

Each time a WIND monster is Special Summoned to your side of the field, immediately gain 400 Life Points. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Breeze" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use the effect of "Breeze Wanderer" once per turn.

Her eff was toned down by rewording "If this card is Summoned" clause. While that looks like a minimal change, it cut the opportunity to search at several crucial moments, like when being revived by Paladin (who changes his Level afterward and thus make the last thing to happen not Summoning) or when you chain Gentle Breeze to opponent's MST. Her searching range was buffed cuz as is, archetypal Traps are too irrelevant (she used to have an eff that fetch you a Trap, though it was nerfed before the tournament.)

[/spoiler][spoiler="Breeze Librarian"]

uVASk3n.jpg

If this card is used as a Synchro Material: You can add 1 "Breeze" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, except "Breeze Librarian". You can target 1 other face-up Level 3 or lower "Breeze" monster you control; the Levels of that monster and this card become the combined Levels of those 2 monsters until the end of this turn. Also, if that target was a Tuner monster, this card is not treated as a Tuner monster while face-up on the field. You can only use each effect of "Breeze Librarian" once per turn.

This one was nerfed by changing her timing as suggested by Voltex, from simply go off whenever she is Special Summoned to search only after a Synchro Monster was successfully played and not including Xyzs who can generate more plus like Chidori. This give a lot of vulnerability to her loop with Paladin since mass removal can be chained to her Summon or Warning can be used on that Synchro Monster without her fetching you a Paladin for next turn's play. And like with Wanderer, Summoning her out of MST'd Gentle during opponent's turn will give you nothing.

[/spoiler][spoiler="Breeze Fighter"]

MKQdmuY.jpg

Cannot be targeted by Spell/Trap effects. If this card is added from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is Special Summoned from your hand or Deck by an effect of a "Breeze" card: Target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; return it to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Breeze Fighter" once per turn.

Was both buffed and nerfed. Her last eff that MST when she either beat something or deal damage was removed due to how impractical it was. Sure she's flexible with that effect, but during the gamestate that you're at disadvantage, she won't help much (and that sounds like winmoar to me.) Instead her S/T hate as a WIND monster was presented by her new protection. Another part that was toned down is how she only bounce stuff when Summoned from hand/Deck. This, too, prevent Paladin from generating too much advantage in a 1-go as she now not bounce stuff when being revived.

[/spoiler][spoiler="Breeze Paladin"]

8O3lGfM.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Breeze" Tuner monster from your hand or Graveyard. Then, if it was a WIND monster, reduce this card's Level by that monster's Level, otherwise negate its effects (including its conditions.) If a monster is Special Summoned from the Graveyard this way, you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except WIND monsters.

Not changed from how he was in tour, since his main issues is not about himself but how Tuners he revive generate too much pluses, and all of them were fixed in that regard.

As a side note, his eff that applied when he revives non-WIND is to be used with BW - Breeze the Zephyr for Lv.7 like Clear Wing or Breeze-Eyes, though with Librarian now search after she gone, making Ultimaya with her and Zephyr is not possible anymore, so using it solely for Lv.7 and ruin the deck's consistency is not a good idea.

[/spoiler]Synchro Monsters[spoiler="Zephrine, Spirit of Breeze"]

PgS6pgR.jpg

1 WIND Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WIND monsters
Cannot be targeted or destroyed by Spell/Trap effects. During the turn this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand (this is a Quick Effect). During either player's turn: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it. You can only use 1 "Zephrine, Spirit of Breeze" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Slightly nerfed. Now it only bounce stuff once, though it maybe more useful against some decks that focus on backrow play.

[/spoiler][spoiler="Breeze Wing Synchro Dragon"]

8rl5Yuf.jpg

1 WIND Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner WIND monsters
Special Summoned WIND monsters you control are unaffected by Spell/Trap effects. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field. If this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Breeze" card in your Graveyard, except "Breeze Wing Synchro Dragon"; add it to your hand.

This maybe the only monster that is overall buffed. The reason for that is how it almost never being played during the entire tour since in actual game Stardust are just simply more useful despite how I teched Saambell specifically for this boss. Now it no longer protect monsters you control from destruction effects used by monsters, but in return it cover non-target non-destruction S/T and gain a floating effect to reduce the loss from its -2 Summoning.

[/spoiler][spoiler="Breeze-Eyes Sky Dragon"]

VODSkxH.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WIND monsters

If your opponent controls no face-up WIND monsters, this card can attack your opponent directly, but it loses 1000 ATK during damage calculation only. If this card attacks your opponent directly, they cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step. Once per turn, when a non-WIND monster declares an attack: You can negate that attack.

Nothing changed, as it's pretty simple and straightforward.

[/spoiler]Xyz Monster[spoiler="Breeze Valkyria"]

b6An4Nl.jpg

2 Level 5 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 4 or lower WIND monster you control that has Xyz Materials as the Xyz Material. While this card has Xyz Material attached that was originally WIND, it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. If this card attacked or was attacked, after damage calculation: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand.

Simply removed no from "that has no Xyz Materials", though that's actually a huge change. Now it need to waste some Xyz Materials (since no typical materials clause like F0) on Summon and will be left with only 1 bouncing bullet that also cost her a walling ability, and the most problematic issues of Ranking-up used Castel is solved.

[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler=Spells]Unlike monsters that were nerfed and nerfed, Spell/Traps bar Gentle are pretty much irrelevant from what I've experienced and there're always my first choice to make siding space, so I somehow want to fix that issues[spoiler="Breeze of Memories"]

SwKBv1c.jpg

Target 1 Level 4 or lower WIND monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in face-up Defense Position. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Breeze" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use 1 "Breeze of Memories" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Truth be told, I never used that long 2nd eff of the old version of this card, not even once. So I simply turned it from the 2nd choice to the different use.

[/spoiler][spoiler="Castle of Breeze and Storm"]

PhJVWkn.jpg

If you have a WIND monster face-up on your side of the field or in your Graveyard: Add 1 "Breeze" monster from your Deck to your hand. If your opponent controls 2 or more Spell/Trap Cards, you can also add 1 "Mystical Space Typhoon" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Castle of Breeze and Storm" per turn.

Again, almost never used the 2nd eff of that old version even being an effortless +1, so fixed both balance and usability (after consistency was screwed by Dust Tornado for a while...)

[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler=Traps][spoiler="Breeze of Reunion"]

xEcT1v5.jpg

Target 2 "Breeze" monsters in your Graveyard; add them to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Breeze of Reunion" per turn. If this card is destroyed by a card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Breeze" monster from your hand. That monster cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of this turn.

Basically remove turn clause that killed the card. (It was there because how pre-tour Wanderer worked, and after nerfed her I just forgot to change this.)

[/spoiler][spoiler="Silent Breeze"]

k1TGrpH.jpg

During each End Phase, if a "Breeze" monster was sent to your Graveyard during this turn's Battle Phase: You can target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand. If this card is destroyed and sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Breeze" card in your Graveyard, except "Silent Breeze"; add it to your hand.

Buffed it a bit from tourney just to avoid making this a side space after G1 due to how predictable it was after the turn it was played. Now it can also retrieve S/T which can somehow make more play than monsters and worth your own MST eff.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

As usual, CnC appreciated.

They were looking fine until I read the Spell/Traps:

- Breeze of Memories: The last effect looks like a bit too much as it is a free +1. Yes, it has the restriction of having no monsters on field, but it is not that difficult to fulfill when you are on a bad spot plus it can enable arguably unfair comebacks. Personally, I would just remove the last effect and leave it as an archetype "Iron Call".

- Breeze of Reunion: Needs to be activated on the same turn a Breeze hits your grave, but still is a straight +2 AND yet another searcher for the archetype, as if it didn't have enough. Not a fan of this card. I would just scrap it but if you want to keep this card that badly, I guess you could turn it into a Salvage and pick 2 monsters from the grave instead.

That aside, I will keep an eye on their level modulation capabilities, because I noticed it does give the archetype a big punch by enabling them to drop bigger monsters with arguably less effort, such as the now-disabled Ultimaya play. In theory they would be fine without it as they would still have access to the decent Synchro4~6 pools.

Question. Is it intentional that Valkyria is able to bounce a full field of monsters (rather, as many monsters as she has Xyz Materials) in one turn? Since you can attack -> bounce -> replay -> attack -> bounce et cetera. There are a couple fixes for this problem; feel free to apply the one you think most beneficial.

Nephilim and Catastor specifically state that they proc at the start of the Damage Step; this card has no such Damage Step wording, and the text in fact indicates that it bounces at the start of the Battle Step - which means a replay. I dunno if it's necessarily just OCG, but it depends once again on intent (as it could be). There's no actual restriction on the number of attacks you can make during the Battle Phase with a single monster (via replays) - as long as you persist in actually making attacks with the replaying monster.

Regarding Valkyria, she was suppose to work like EIM that banish only at attack declaration and not banish again when replay occurred, though come to think of it again, it maybe better if she keep her protection before battling, so I guess I will just edit the effect.

And well, I want Memories to be a generic Reborn for any WIND decks while has more uses in its own deck, kinda like GGX, so I think completely get rid of the 2nd eff seems to defeat that purpose, but the point about unfair comeback is solid, so I guess timing change will work. As for Reunion, while Salvage-esque seems fine, I kinda want it to have some uniqueness, and that's when I can complete these 2 cards with only 1 answer. That being said, S/Ts in question edited, now Zephrine will also able to benefit you even when facing non-backrow decks.

Archived