[Archetype] Pyrangers

-Noel-

Basically a FIRE Warrior archetype that Main Deck monsters are capable of banishing themselves from Graveyard either to activate their own non-plus-generating effects or being fodders for ED bosses' effects. The deck has various play through all kind of ED Summoning, albeit a type and attribute restriction.

Also with Deck Swap thing, I will go out of my way and write brief explanations for each card. XD

[spoiler='Monsters']Effect Monsters

[spoiler='Pyranger Tactician']

0qE0Uuz.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower FIRE Warrior-Type monster from your hand or Deck. You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except Warrior-Type monsters. During either player's turn, except the turn this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 FIRE Warrior-Type monster you control; it gains 800 ATK until the end of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Pyranger Tactician" once per turn.

The ED enabler of the deck (in other words, @3 without saying.) Aside from calling archetype monsters into Synchro/Xyz, she also has access to Blazeman and later Fusion Substitute while also providing its materials on the field. While her Graveyard effect looks subpar and being the worst one of the 3, it can be surprisingly useful due to how some monsters she can make (namely Nova Master and Crimson Blader) rely on battle destruction.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pyranger Cavalry']

3fGkeWm.jpg

If you control no monsters: You can discard this card; add 1 "Pyranger" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, except "Pyranger Cavalry". During either player's turn, except the turn this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 face-up FIRE Warrior-Type monster you control; it cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Pyranger Cavalry" once per turn.

Archetype searcher that also has one good effect in Graveyard, though this one is apparently the worst Main Deck in general due to how he not get Rekindling support and his search isn't always live. Still, 3 copies (or 2 at worst) are kinda mandatory due to moar consistency he provides.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pyranger Assailant']

R82e8Sb.jpg

Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a FIRE monster. A Synchro Monster that used this card as a Synchro Material cannot be targeted by your opponent card effects. During either player's turn, when a FIRE Warrior-Type monster you control is targeted by a card effect: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; negate that effect. You can only use the effect of "Pyranger Assailant" once per turn.

While he has only 1 active effect and quite annoying restriction, a Hexproof Blader isn't something that could be taken lightly, also with how he doesn't have banishing sickness like others, you can chain this to opponent's Breakthrough/Fiendish right after Tactician discarded him and ensure toolbox play from Tactician. The amount of copies is depend on your ED and matchups (some decks out there rely on targeting and can't live without it, and then there're some decks that all their removals (or at least majority of them) don't target at all.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Pyranger Strategist']

rovYOya.jpg

You can return 1 of your banished "Pyranger" monster to the Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand, then 1 FIRE Warrior-Type monster you control gains 400 ATK and DEF. If this card is sent from your hand to the Graveyard: You can send 1 "Pyranger" monster from your hand to the Graveyard; draw 2 cards. You can only use each effect of "Pyranger Strategist" once per turn.

So aside from Tactician who working under spotlight, we also have this girl who work with the bigger picture behind the scene. With how wording "return" isn't treated as being sent to the Graveyard, she actually bypass banishing sickness of other members and let them use their effects immediately. And once you have Strategist, Tactician and another Pyranger monster in your hand, this girl can be used as a cost for Tactician's SS and null the cost right away! She also let you Synchro/Xyz in case you lack Tactician in hand midgame.

[/spoiler]Fusion Monster

[spoiler='Pyranger Magical Archer']

tEE5naM.jpg

1 "Pyranger" monster + 1 FIRE Warrior-Type monster

Cannot be destroyed by card effects. You can banish 1 FIRE monster from your Graveyard; destroy 1 card on the field, then inflict 700 damage to your opponent. You can only use this effect of "Pyranger Magical Archer" once per turn. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Pyranger" Spell/Trap card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.

While there's a Nova as a better choice in term of stat and card advantage, this girl can get rid of some annoying Hexproof stuff with 2.6k+ in case you lack Tactician in Graveyard.

[/spoiler]Synchro Monster

[spoiler='Pyranger Musketeer']

SWOkqb2.jpg

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn: You can banish 1 FIRE monster from your Graveyard; inflict damage to your opponent equal to this card's ATK, then this card gains 400 ATK. When this card declares an attack: You can destroy 1 Set card your opponent controls. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 of your banished FIRE monster to your hand.

Again, Blader is a better choice unless your opponent somehow have too much backrow to risk your big monster, also sometime you just need nothing but finishing blow.

[/spoiler]Xyz Monster

[spoiler='Pyranger Cannoneer']

UAZAvcw.jpg

2 Level 4 FIRE monsters

While you control only FIRE monsters, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn, during your Main Phase OR when this card is targeted for an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it (this is a Quick Effect.) Once, while this card is face-up on the field: You can attach 1 banished FIRE monster to this card as an Xyz Material.

Basically the origin of this archetype. She is always the easiest girl to..boss to make if you have at least a Strategist in that brick hand. In addition, she (more precisely, her last effect) along with Tactician and Assailant make Rekindling viable in the deck.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells']Normal Spell

[spoiler='Mission of Pyrangers']

vPbyIFM.jpg

Target up to 5 of your banished FIRE monsters; shuffle them into the Deck, then you can apply these effects in sequence, depending on the number of cards shuffled into the Deck this way. You can only activate 1 "Mission of Pyrangers"" once per turn.

● 2+: Add 1 "Pyranger" monster from your Deck to your hand.
● 4+: Discard 1 card, then destroy 1 card on the field.
● 5: Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 card.

Avarice of the deck with bonuses. It is also searchable by Archer so you can make her and keep banishing stuffs (basically just make your play) to use this card at its fullest extent.

[/spoiler]Quick-Play Spell

[spoiler='United Flame of Pyrangers']

L74ftx3.jpg

Discard 1 card; activate 1 of these effects. You can only activate 1 "United Flame of Pyrangers" per turn.

● Fusion Summon or Synchro Summon 1 "Pyranger" monster from your Extra Deck, banishing monsters from your side of the field and/or your Graveyard as Materials.
● Target 2 "Pyranger" monsters in your Graveyard with the same Levels; Special Summon both those targets. If they would be sent to the Graveyard as Xyz Materials, banish them instead. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 Warrior-Type Xyz Monster using those 2 monsters only.

Pretty straightforward (and because I'm too lazy to do it), end of story.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I think everything looks okay here (just plusing off ED monsters is relatively tame), except for the potential of Rekindling abuse. Is this intentional? Rekindling gets back 2/4 archetype monsters as well as Cannoneer (for a repeat showing of her effect, no less!) Also I notice the clause on Musketeer of destroying Set cards happening on the Battle Step again and thus it's able to randomly attack any number of times = your opponent's Set monsters - you can avoid this clause by adding "When this card attacks, at the beginning of damage calculation: [...]" or just "Destroy 1 Set card your opponent controls at the beginning of damage calculation" if you want attack declaration to be the only condition. My point is don't let it happen in the Battle Step.

Cannoneer is probably the only really "dangerous" card here, and her effect is a quick effect; this makes it somewhat tricky to tell what her effect in playtesting would look like, because she is almost certainly reliable 2-card removal but not much more than just that. So yeah playtests.

I think everything looks okay here (just plusing off ED monsters is relatively tame), except for the potential of Rekindling abuse. Is this intentional? Rekindling gets back 2/4 archetype monsters as well as Cannoneer (for a repeat showing of her effect, no less!) Also I notice the clause on Musketeer of destroying Set cards happening on the Battle Step again and thus it's able to randomly attack any number of times = your opponent's Set monsters - you can avoid this clause by adding "When this card attacks, at the beginning of damage calculation: [...]" or just "Destroy 1 Set card your opponent controls at the beginning of damage calculation" if you want attack declaration to be the only condition. My point is don't let it happen in the Battle Step.

Cannoneer is probably the only really "dangerous" card here, and her effect is a quick effect; this makes it somewhat tricky to tell what her effect in playtesting would look like, because she is almost certainly reliable 2-card removal but not much more than just that. So yeah playtests.

Srsly, I'm pretty sure I clearly stated "When this card declares an attack" on Musketeer this time.

And regarding Cannoneer and Rekindling. I have done some playtest and I don't see any chance to abuse her eff yet, mostly bcuz opponent just avoid attacking her and instead handling her with non-targeting effects which are so popular here. As for Rekindling I'm still not sure about it, but I technically adapted how Fire King was designed in regard of interaction with that card (some (and pmuch core) members have 200 DEF, but not all.)

Rekindling will make the deck super plus when they lucksack it! Much like Soul Charge except without the hefty cost. The deck is pretty speedy so it's a little more of a concern. You could make it be a different number ... like 300 DEF.

I stand corrected on the attack declaration point; that sneaky wording -> can't repeatedly start chains that trigger on attack declaration. So it's fine.

Well, I can't say this deck has more speed than Fire King due to that new field, but think of it again I shouldn't take powercreep into account, so yea they seems to have more speed than the level that they could have 2(+1 boss) monsters with 200 DEF, so I think Tactician will have her DEF changed to something else. As for OCG I won't argue about that anymore, but I think you better see how cards with that wording like Silver Claw work. Anyway thx for the feedback :)

... I'm not sure you understood what I was saying (not arguing about the OCG, but conceding). The current wording is fine - it's in a completely different class of effects - and will not, as you said, repeatedly trigger - because of how replaying works. You cannot activate effects / start a Chain that triggers on attack declaration during a replay, which is something I totally forgot about. Thus, you cannot activate Musketeer during a second attack declaration even with its current wording.

Silver Claw isn't a card that usually triggers a replay, so I'm not sure how that really follows since there are a good number of cards with effects on attack declaration. Perhaps a better example would be Blackfalcon, which can only produce one token per Battle Phase regardless of how many times you replay.

Having played this a few times, I see the Deck as rather tame. Aside from Rekindling, (There's a reason I suggested it to be banned) most of the things it can do either only build up to 1 ED monster at a time or are done by another Deck. Cannoneer is sometimes frustrating, and the random Nova Master due to Blazeman being a FIRE Warrior is sometimes alerting, but Castel and I think Armades say hi. I'm not sure what I would do about the Rekindling factor, because there are other cards like Flamvell Counter that I think the Deck could safely benefit off of.

Archived