[Archetype] Kaokugon

VampireofDarkness

Based around the lore of Ryu Senshi and Dark Blade the Dragon Knight, the Kaokugon are a DARK Warrior and Dragon Type Union and Contact Fusion based archetype revolved around Battle Phase shenanigans and keeping durable beaters on board, usually in trade for hand advantage. The Unions support this by being able to equip when they are sent to the Graveyard by the effect of their Warrior companions, turning them into 2200 ATK beatsticks with various effects, along with being able to equip straight from the Graveyard by banishing another Dragon. While the Deck has its own dual reign of Warriors, both who benefit off of being equipped, the Deck adapts Armageddon Knight and Dark Grepher as well, giving the Deck a speed boost. Outside of the archetype, various DARK and Warrior supports are all valid, in addition to various Union support cards such as Roll Out and Formation Union.

As always, CnC is appreciated, as it is a work in progress.

[Spoiler Effect Monsters]
[Spoiler Moon Rider]
SGlsUwK.jpg
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Swordswoman of the Kaokugon]
C3pZyI6.jpg
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Union Monsters]
[Spoiler Ketsura, Blood of the Kaokugon]
B91YZdW.jpg

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a DARK monster with 1700 ATK, you can target that monster; equip this card to that target. While this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard and 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; banish the first target, then equip this card to the second target. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped to a monster by this card's effect, the monster gains 500 ATK and DEF, and when it battles a monster, destroy it at the end of the Damage Step. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Shokura, Possessive of the Kaokugon]
GyVYOCu.jpg

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a DARK monster with 1800 ATK, you can target that monster; equip this card to that target. While this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard and 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; banish the first target, then equip this card to the second target. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped to a monster by this card's effect, the monster gains 400 ATK and DEF, and can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Honkura, Black Horn of the Kaokugon]
2ukcZ2r.jpg

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a DARK monster with 1400 ATK, you can target that monster; equip this card to that target. While this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard and 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; banish the first target, then equip this card to the second target. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped to a monster by this card's effect, the monster gains 800 ATK and DEF, and when it destroys a monster by battle, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Fuyura, Rage of the Kaokugon]
23YW1yg.jpg

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a DARK monster with 1900 ATK, you can target that monster; equip this card to that target. While this card is in your Graveyard, you can target 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard and 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; banish the first target, then equip this card to the second target. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped to a monster by this card's effect, the monster gains 300 ATK and DEF, and when it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing damage to your opponent. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Fusion Monsters]
[Spoiler Supiron, Bond of the Kaokugon]
qXk1jx1.jpg

Must first be Special Summoned by sending 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster equipped with a "Kaokugon" monster. (This is treated as a Fusion Summon) When this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. During the Damage Step when this card attacks an opponent's monster, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster in your Graveyard; the original ATK of this card becomes 4000 until the end of the Damage Step. During your Main Phase, you can return this card to the Extra Deck, then target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster and 1 "Kaokugon" Union monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon the first target, the equip the 2nd target to that card. You can Special Summon 1 "Supiron, Bond of the Kaokugon" per turn.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Akorait, Knight of the Kaokugon]
KC7qCMg.jpg

Must first be Special Summoned by sending 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster equipped with a "Kaokugon" monster. (This is treated as a Fusion Summon) When this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing damage to your opponent. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, target up to 3 cards in either player's Graveyard; banish those targets. During your Main Phase, you can return this card to the Extra Deck, then target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster and 1 "Kaokugon" Union monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon the first target, the equip the 2nd target to that card. You can only Special Summon 1 "Akorait, Knight of the Kaokugon" per turn.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Gyadai, Carnage of the Kaokugon]
0mtSBNa.jpg

Must first be Special Summoned by sending 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster equipped with a "Kaokugon" monster. (This is treated as a Fusion Summon) This card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. When this card battles an opponent's monster, destroy that monster at the end of the Damage Step, then reduce this card's ATK to 0. During your Standby Phase, return this card to the Extra Deck, then target 1 DARK Warrior-Type monster and 1 "Kaokugon" Union monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon the first target, the equip the 2nd target to that card. You cannot Special Summon "Gyadai, Carnage of the Kaokugon" during the turn you activate this effect. You can only control 1 "Gyadai, Carnage of the Kaokugon".
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Tenoma, Hand of the Koakugon]
DqoPnCB.jpg

Must first be Special Summon by sending one DARK Warrior-Type monster you control equipped with a "Kaokugon" monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can activate one of the following effects:
- When you opponent activates a Spell Card, you can banish 1 Warrior-Type monster in your Graveyard, then discard 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand; negate the activation of that card, and if you do, destroy it.
- When your opponent activated a Trap Card, you can banish 1 Dragon-Type monster in your Graveyard, then discard 1 Warrior-Type monster in your hand; negate the activation of that card, and destroy it.
When this card leaves the field, you can target 1 DARK Dragon-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You can only activate this effect of "Tenoma, Hand of the Kaokugan" once per turn. You can only control 1 "Tenoma, Hand of the Kaokugon".
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Spells/Traps]
[Spoiler When the End Meets the Beginning]
dy8Skmx.jpg
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Forbidden City of the Kaokugon]
iMBvbbG.jpg
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Deteriorating Bond]
Hbvv9Qv.jpg
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I've already spoken in depth on the the matter about the individual monsters.

I feel the main crutch and cards that are worth discussing are the fusions.
First, I'm just going to make the assumption that their lores will be fixed and material will be listed. I shall further assume that the fusions will have specific pairings.

That being said the Deck is balanced...almost underpowered. There isn't really a way to get more than one fusion on the board with massive uniterrupted investment and commitment. Personally I feel like they should be dragons and they way they have access to a lot of better options in terms of player interaction. As it stands they are play a warrior -> equip -> contact. But if any part of that is interrupted you're just out. Personally I can handle that style of play, you may want something more "competitive."

I've already spoken in depth on the the matter about the individual monsters.

I feel the main crutch and cards that are worth discussing are the fusions.
First, I'm just going to make the assumption that their lores will be fixed and material will be listed. I shall further assume that the fusions will have specific pairings.

That being said the Deck is balanced...almost underpowered. There isn't really a way to get more than one fusion on the board with massive uniterrupted investment and commitment. Personally I feel like they should be dragons and they way they have access to a lot of better options in terms of player interaction. As it stands they are play a warrior -> equip -> contact. But if any part of that is interrupted you're just out. Personally I can handle that style of play, you may want something more "competitive."

Hmmmm.... The Dragon type seems well fit for these instead of Wyrms, especially because of the techs you could bring in. However, my only beef is how Number 95 would work well in this Deck because it is somewhat Graveyard based. I try to stay away from the Dragon Type in general nowadays because such card really frightens the living life out of me. That being said, I do want to make these even just a little bit more competitive, because the other issue is that because of all the hand filter cards and other ways to get field and/or hand advantage, you can eventually run out of cards to work with. I was thinking a Field Spell that would work similar to Noble Knights of the Round Table. And yes, perhaps if I can get these going, I can pair them, but one step at a time.

What makes you think Number 95 would fit in here?

Start with the basics, how do you even summon the thing? You would have to get 2 of the drago-horses on the field then go for 95...but like I stated before, you don't have any plays outside Warrior -> equip -> contact. The only deviation now is warrior -> Equip -> dragon summon...And that's about it early game. So you don't really have a method of consistently dropping two dragons on the field. Second lets assume you somehow manage to get two of those drago-horses to actually stay on the field long enough to put 95 on the field. So you do the effect...then what? Assuming you're using 2 dragons to make him up that's 3 more dragons you just sent to the grave...HOW MANY DRAGONS WOULD THIS DECK RUN? That's 5 of your resources down the drain (seeing as the 4k beatstick doesn't actually trigger any relevant effects). Math wise your trade-in's are probably dead, Epic reunion for all intents and purposes is dead, the warrior brothers lost some valuable targets so they could easily be dead as well. You shoot your self in the foot for a chance at banishing 3 of the opponents monsters.

Not all (barely any) Dragon decks benefit from 95. DRuler do but they are literally one of the top 5 most horrid designed archetypes and even they can't directly summon the thing. Heiratics can Summon the thing but they don't directly benefit from it. You've shot this decks lulzy potential in the foot for card that may or may not (clearly you see which side I lean on) interact with ONE existing card. You literally could've just made the deck as dragons and on principle not use 95 or at the very least test it to see how absurd 95 is with the deck.

What makes you think Number 95 would fit in here?

Start with the basics, how do you even summon the thing? You would have to get 2 of the drago-horses on the field then go for 95...but like I stated before, you don't have any plays outside Warrior -> equip -> contact. The only deviation now is warrior -> Equip -> dragon summon...And that's about it early game. So you don't really have a method of consistently dropping two dragons on the field. Second lets assume you somehow manage to get two of those drago-horses to actually stay on the field long enough to put 95 on the field. So you do the effect...then what? Assuming you're using 2 dragons to make him up that's 3 more dragons you just sent to the grave...HOW MANY DRAGONS WOULD THIS DECK RUN? That's 5 of your resources down the drain (seeing as the 4k beatstick doesn't actually trigger any relevant effects). Math wise your trade-in's are probably dead, Epic reunion for all intents and purposes is dead, the warrior brothers lost some valuable targets so they could easily be dead as well. You shoot your self in the foot for a chance at banishing 3 of the opponents monsters.

Not all (barely any) Dragon decks benefit from 95. DRuler do but they are literally one of the top 5 most horrid designed archetypes and even they can't directly summon the thing. Heiratics can Summon the thing but they don't directly benefit from it. You've shot this decks lulzy potential in the foot for card that may or may not (clearly you see which side I lean on) interact with ONE existing card. You literally could've just made the deck as dragons and on principle not use 95 or at the very least test it to see how absurd 95 is with the deck.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt. The main problem I see with it, however, is the contact fusions are Level 8. However, after playing a few duels today, I'm not quite sure how valid this would be. On one hand, getting rid of a Fusion that's bad for the matchup to set yourself up for a few turns is insane. On the other hand, you also have matches where everybody plays their role, and thus you got your 1-2 shots with each Fusion that are much more vital. It helps that everything isn't being forcefully shoved in your face for game, which makes your argument that much more valid. I'll see what can it can do. Just out of curiosity, what other lolzy potential would the Dragon Type give this Deck?

EDIT: Ninjakugon, here I come!

Archived