Anime vs. Western Cartoons

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhh, yes, animators do. If you're an animator/artist working for an animation studio that's producing a series, you are contractually obligated to draw exactly what they tell you to draw. That's why animation models and control art exist: so that teams of different artists can draw the same things the same way and make the show appear as a more unified whole. Hence, an animator is always adhering to whatever tropes the product he or she is working on does by drawing art that depicts them.  animaters don't need to work for ppl tho

Also no. In this topic we're quite clearly talking about 2 genres of animation: Western children's cartoons, which are usually humorous works with more simplified plot structure, shorter running time (often 15 minutes or less an episode with two or more episodes per time slot as opposed to the 30-45 minutes with 1 episode per time slot more traditional western programming runs), and often an emphasis on surrealism or more generally the fanciful in their art design, and Anime: which is a macrogenre of animation from Japan that follows a single, unified art style that takes after the art in manga (hence the term manga-style) with various subgenres based upon which demographic the individual product is marketing to (shonen: young boys, Shoujou: young girls, Seinin: adult males etc) that covers a wide array of storytelling genres yet at the same time is more or less consistently consumed by similar demographics (Ie: anime fans) and has a massive consumer culture ingrained within its production, marketing, and consumption and has a set of tropes that are shared across multiple genres of work within it. When you say "Anime" or "western cartoon" you're referring to a specific genre of programming as opposed to some abstract notion of nationality. Not always.

Again, anime is anime, western cartoons are western cartoons. Elementary, my dear! The topic is about preference for one or the other, and why. Who'd have thought.

That was pointless.

anime and western animation are not genres.

don't say it

I like each for different reasons, I enjoy the depth of the animes I watch, and the art style, but for cartoons I enjoy the silliness, and lack of plot. However I don't watch any new cartoons, because none interest me and I never sit in from the tv much anymore. 

I like each for different reasons, I enjoy the depth of the animes I watch, and the art style, but for cartoons I enjoy the silliness, and lack of plot. However I don't watch any new cartoons, because none interest me and I never sit in from the tv much anymore. 

Western animation often has a plot.

They have plot, but tend to I find be alot less detailed. 

I have to agree here.  Anyone else find the .hack// anime series completely dumbfounding?  I litterly had to stop watching because I got so confused from the first season (.hack//sign)... maybe I started in the middle with the .hack//sign, but I was so confused.  Hehe.  I generally find Western Cartoons to have a lighter plot that is kind of loose compare to the often complicated/detailed/deep anime plots.

I have to agree here.  Anyone else find the .hack// anime series completely dumbfounding?  I litterly had to stop watching because I got so confused from the first season (.hack//sign)... maybe I started in the middle with the .hack//sign, but I was so confused.  Hehe.  I generally find Western Cartoons to have a lighter plot that is kind of loose compare to the often complicated/detailed/deep anime plots.

Young Justice. DC Comics Adaptations. Hero animation. Avatar. Boom. End of story. What'cha gonna do now, mate?! 

The main difference at the moment is that animated series in the US are usually not serialized shows. Each episode is its own thing (Fosters, Adventure Time, Scooby Doo) with small if not negligible plotlines flowing throughout the entire series. There are obviously exceptions to the idea, certain series move into utilizing more serialized styles (Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorportated, Bravest Warriors) and some even go full on serial (Avatar, Legend of Korra). But for the most part, western animation originates from individual animated films, usually not very long in length (Gertie the Dinosaur, Popeye, Looney Tunes, Steamboat Willie), with most of the first creators coming from comic backgrounds, which as you can imagine from reading the sunday paper, aren't exactly flowing with a continuous story. It's no surprise then that some of the most serialized shows, whether semi-serialized or fully, have origins in graphic novels (Teen Titans, Justice League, X-Men, Amazing Spider Man etc.) And that's closer to what the anime industry is coming from. At this point, most anime is adapted from manga, visual novels, etc.

So really it's the origin that affects each. I don't have a preference for either one. The Rabbit Season-Duck Season shorts from Warner Bros. are often much more enjoyable than most any anime I've ever watched. There's definitely not any drop in quality or even much difference besides the "audiences are expecting this structure of show so we're going to produce this structure of show" issue (which again has nothing to do with genre in the slightest). They both cool. Would like to see more serialized western cartoons obv, but I disagree that "depth" is different. I've seen some really deep stuff come out of western animation and really shallow shit out of anime.

• 1 month later...

Was surfing in inter-webs and stumbled upon this.  I just copied it from the source and didn't write it.  Just wanted to see what you awesome people think.

About anime: Anime are Japanese animated productions featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation, but in other languages, the term is defined as a Japanese-disseminated animation styleoften characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes. Arguably, the stylization approach to the meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan. For simplicity, many Westerners strictly view anime as an animation product from Japan.

The earliest commercial Japanese animation dates to 1917, and production of anime works in Japan has since continued to increase steadily. The characteristic anime art style emerged in the 1960s with the works ofOsamu Tezuka and spread internationally in the late twentieth century, developing a large domestic and international audience. Anime is distributed theatrically, by television broadcasts, directly to home media, and over the internet and is classified into numerous genres targeting diverse broad and niche audiences.
Anime is a diverse art form with distinctive production methods and techniques that have been adapted over time in response to emergent technologies. The production of anime differs from Disney animation by focusing less on the animation of movement and more on the realism of settings as well as the use of camera effects, including panning, zooming and angle shots. No single art style exists and character proportions and features can be quite varied, including characteristically large emotive or realistically sized eyes.

The anime industry consists of over 430 production studios including major names like Studio Ghibli, Gainax and Toei Animation. Despite having a fraction of the domestic film market, anime achieves a majority of DVD sales and has been an international success after the rise of televised English dubs. This rise in international popularly has resulted in non-Japanese productions using the anime art style, but these works have been defined as anime-influenced animation by both fans and the industry.

About cartoons: A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor, or to the artistic style of such works. An artist who creates cartoons is called a cartoonist.

The term originated in the Middle Ages and first described a preparatory drawing for a piece of art, such as a painting, fresco, tapestry, or stained glass window. In the 19th century, it came to refer to humorous illustrations in magazines and newspapers, and in the early 20th century and onward it referred to comic strips and animated films

Archived