(SEPTEMBER 2015 UPDATE) [Valkyrus's Singles] Side/Main/Extra Deck Options

Valkyrus

This is a list of cards I believe are viable as side or sometimes main/extra deck choices for the DP meta.

Some of them aren't on DP and that's why I'm posting them here before i upload them.
Fixes/Suggestions/any Feedback will be appreciated.

MONSTERS:

NEW MONSTER:

EHaVpwD.jpg

2 level 4 monsters
You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card: Look at your opponent's hand and target 1 monster in it (if any); Special Summon that target in face-up Defense position. During either player's turn, if your opponent adds a Monster Card from their Deck or Graveyard to their hand, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Special Summon that card, but it cannot be used as a Fusion, Synchro or Xyz Material or be tributed for the rest of the turn.

WlTwE9x.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn: You can tribute 1 monster in your hand or on your side of the field to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with the same Level as the tributed monster; take control of that target. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster in your Graveyard; this card's Level becomes the same as that target's, until the End Phase. If you take battle damage by a direct attack while this card is in your Graveyard, you can: Special Summon this card.

2jKc37O.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
If your opponent activates a card or the effect of a card while you control this Synchro Summoned monster, you can: Banish this card; Negate the activation and the effect of that card and destroy it. While this card is banished by its own effect and your opponent activates a card or the effect of a card with the same name as the card or effect you negated, you can: Special Summon this card.

ib5V1Va.jpg

2 level 4 monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and declare a level from 1 to 12: Any monster your opponent summons until their next End Phase becomes the declared level. You can tribute this card: Destroy 1 monster on the field that is a level different than its original level.

2 level 4 monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and declare a level from 1 to 12: Any monster your opponent summons until their next End Phase becomes the declared level. You can tribute this card with Xyz Material: Destroy 1 monster on the field that is a level different than its original level.

xCRbpk3.jpg
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters.
Once per turn: You can target 2 cards on the field, including at least 1 card you control; return 1 of them to the hand, then destroy the other. You can only use the effect of "Twin Arrow Diana" once per turn.

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters.
Once per turn, you can target 2 cards on the field: Return the first target to the hand, then, destroy the second target. You cannot target more than 1 card your opponent controls with this effect. You can activate only 1 "Twin Arrow Diana" effect per turn and only once that turn.

GJZTosn.jpg

2 level 4 monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Target  1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard; Banish it. You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Return 1 of your banished level 4 or lower monsters to your Graveyard.

4RQ1noE.jpg

1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card destroys a monster by battle, you can: Send 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your Graveyard.

gQEAjS2.jpg

2 level 4 monsters
Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Look at your opponent's hand and banish 1 card in it. During the End Phase, return that banished card to your opponent's hand. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card, you can look at your opponent's hand and target 1 card in it: Cards with that name and their effects cannot be used until your opponent's next Standby Phase.

VzdumC4.jpg

2 level 4 monsters.
Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated OR when a Normal Spell/Trap card is activated, you can: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; that activated card effect becomes "Target 1 monster your opponent controls; Destroy it".

SPELL/TRAPS

5mcfwiQ.jpg

Tribute monsters on your opponent's side of the field whose combined levels are less than or equal to 5. Then, Special Summon 1 Synchro monster on your opponent's side of the field whose level is equal to the combined levels of the tributed monsters.

(posting this as recently Hastur was released in OCG and I believe this works quite well with it).

6YYbiMW.jpg

Banish 1 face-up Tuner or non-Tuner monster you control: Special Summon (from your Extra Deck) 1 Synchro monster that lists the banished monster's name as a Synchro Material (this is treated as a Synchro Summon). If you do, you cannot Synchro Summon for the rest of the turn.

kfVFSgn.jpg

Reveal 1 Synchro monster from your Extra Deck, then, discard 1 card and send 1 Tuner or 1 non-Tuner monster from your Deck to the Graveyard that is listed on the revealed Synchro monster as Synchro Material and then Special Summon that Synchro Monster (this is treated as a Synchro Summon). You cannot Synchro Summon for the rest of the turn.

xykX0UY.jpg

Each time a monster is Normal Summoned, roll a six-sided die: the Summoned monster's level becomes equal to the result. Each time a die is rolled: put 1 Gamble Counter on this card. You can remove 1 Gamble Counter from this card to activate 1 of the following effects:
* Increase 1 face-up monster's level by 1
* Decrease 1 face-up monster's level by 1

83t9ZNW.jpg

When this card is activated: Put 1 Ice Counter on each face-up monster your opponent controls. Once per turn, during either player's turn, except the turn this card was activated in: You can banish this card from your Graveyard: negate the effects of all monsters with Ice Counters until the End Phase.

Aside from MST Warrior, everything looks pretty usable / interesting. Fleur Synchron -> Fleur de Chevalier?! MST Warrior is not a good kind of design to have in the game though - similar to Black Chain Mercenary.

Diana is very very versatile, but not actually particularly overpowering in terms of raw strength - if it becomes a problem and edges out the competition I think a ~200 ATK debuff is all that it needs to become more in line. I think it /could/ be a bit too good but it's also quite possible that it's not.

Aside from MST Warrior, everything looks pretty usable / interesting. Fleur Synchron -> Fleur de Chevalier?! MST Warrior is not a good kind of design to have in the game though - similar to Black Chain Mercenary.

Diana is very very versatile, but not actually particularly overpowering in terms of raw strength - if it becomes a problem and edges out the competition I think a ~200 ATK debuff is all that it needs to become more in line. I think it /could/ be a bit too good but it's also quite possible that it's not.

what do you think about emergency synchro and synchrolibrium being able to summon Majestic Star and Majestic Red though? I made those cards specifically for that reason yet it /may/ be a little much (also, if you don't have the respective dragon in grave, does the majestic one return to the Extra Deck during the End Phase still? I couldn't find a ruling on it.)

Also, I'll make a spell that searches out "Synchro" normal spells (other than itself) so it can become a deck of its own.

And for MST warrior, if we're talking TCG I think is alright? Though we're talking DP here so I understand somewhat (is mercenary the one that fetched fiendish chain? What's the consensus on that card?). I really need to adjust to the DP powerlevels you're trying to establish

All the generic S/T searchers got taken out; Mercenary of the Black Chain especially received harsh criticism for being 2.5 cards in 1 card. I think the ideal power level is somewhere before the current battery of archetypes that are immune to removal (so something like April 2014, which was quite healthy). Anything not resembling the current standard is fine.

As for the Majestics! Yes they still return. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Majestic_Star_Dragon

Crossbow Pixie:

It can disrupt the opponent's Synchro/Xyz plays, and can turn into a 1-for-1 remover in a pinch. Hmm, I have the feeling this could be a bit better, because even though it should be effective at disrupting Synchro/Xyz plays, the rest of the card looks subpar: below average stats for a Rank4, and needs a material attached for the removal effect, so you cannot take full advantage of its Level disruption effect. Maybe +200~300 DEF to make it a bit more reliable. Removing the requirement of an attached material on the last effect should be another option as well.

Twin Arrow Diana:

This looks kinda abusable: destroy your opponent's cards while you reuse stuff like Call of Haunted, Tenki and whatnot; or remove an opponent's card through bouncing and make a card of yours float. 2400 ATK is on the low side for a Synchro7 but its effect should make it up for it. However, you would need to play said cards to take advantage of this AND run the card to consistently Synchro Summon this, so you need to "jump through a hoop" or two. I actually would like to see this card in action in DP before fixing/nerfing/scrapping it.

The OCG looks awkward, let me try to fix it up for you:

Once per turn: You can target 2 cards on the field, including at least 1 card you control; return 1 of them to the hand, then destroy the other. You can only use the effect of "Twin Arrow Diana" once per turn.

Mystical Space Warrior:

As Citrus pointed out, this card wouldn't be good for DP. Similar searchers such as the aforementioned Mercenary of the Black Chain were already removed because of their impact. Perhaps it would be fine for TCG and its powercreep, but I'm not sure of that.

Meklord Enemy Tactics:

Yeah, this could get a bit silly with Hastur, and perhaps Balmung, Samsara Dragon and other Synchro floaters. But still, you would need to invest ED space on this and hope for the opponent to run monsters with the right Levels to make this card live, making it kinda impractical. It should be fine.

Synchrolibrium:

Not a fan of this card and its concept. It is more of a Synchro Summon shortcut that can enable crazy Synchros as long as they have a name in the requirement: from the Majestic Dragons, to Synchron Warriors, and even Shooting Star Dragon. This just looks like a card that can go wrong at any time (e.g. Konami releases a crazy Synchro with an especific material), and arguably restricts card design because now you have to be careful when making Synchros with specifc materials.

Emergency Synchro:

I pretty much would say the same as Synchrolibrium; except that this is much easier to play since doesn't even need the specific material on the field, but in the deck. At least it cannot Summon stuff like Shooting Star or Red Nova.

Gamble Mayhem:

Messes with Synchro/Xyz plays as well. I guess it can be compared with Stygian Dirge, but both have different perks:

Dirge has the disruptive surprise factor as a Trap, and affects Special Summoned monsters as well

This is searchable by Terraforming, the Level change effect appears to remain on the monster even after this card is gone, but won't affect Special Summons.

for Pixie, yeah, maybe I'll make her 2.5k def to boost her a bit.
I put Enemy Tactics on here mainly because of Hastur because most people play Level 4's anyway. Also, in a dedicated Meklord Deck it can do some damage. 

About the synchro spells, would it be better if I add the clause " You cannot special summon other monsters from your Extra Deck during the turn you activate this card"
That makes Shooting Star/Red Nova a lot harder to summon. My main reason for making them was to give the Majestics an easy and reliable way to be summoned. Though, of course, they can be used for other cards as well (Chevalier, Gol'gar etc.)

• 1 month later...

I would be a little bit more careful with Skull Zombie Dragon; the effect immunity makes it a solid card but I'm, uh, really unsure about the X-time Foolish Burial as Zombies aren't exactly known for their high Defense. You could dump triple Mezuki for free and possibly a Plaguespreader thrown in there at the very least. Same thing with Minos; he seems to scream "abuse me with Mezuki!!" but is otherwise a cool concept :<

Gigantitoad and Swift Silk Huntress are pretty on point as interesting designs with niche usage though. I enjoy them.

I would be a little bit more careful with Skull Zombie Dragon; the effect immunity makes it a solid card but I'm, uh, really unsure about the X-time Foolish Burial as Zombies aren't exactly known for their high Defense. You could dump triple Mezuki for free and possibly a Plaguespreader thrown in there at the very least. Same thing with Minos; he seems to scream "abuse me with Mezuki!!" but is otherwise a cool concept :<

Gigantitoad and Swift Silk Huntress are pretty on point as interesting designs with niche usage though. I enjoy them.

I made both the zombies work with Uni-zombie as usually when you xyz/sync with it you can't attack because of its effect. And since it's such a good card I thought it needed some ED support. Hmm, about Doom Dragon, how about I make it equal to the damage the opponent takes instead of the ATK of the destroyed monster? Even so though, since it activates in the battle phase it lowers the risk for an OTK

You can just have Skull Zombie Dragon send 1 zambie per hit and it would be an appropriately fair card :)

My beef with Minos is that it is equivalent to two procs of Mezuki. Which then make this guy again. Yeah. While disrupting your opponent's Graveyard as a bonus. I feel like the Graveyard disruption is really good by itself and the recycling should be secondary to that.

You can just have Skull Zombie Dragon send 1 zambie per hit and it would be an appropriately fair card :)

My beef with Minos is that it is equivalent to two procs of Mezuki. Which then make this guy again. Yeah. While disrupting your opponent's Graveyard as a bonus. I feel like the Graveyard disruption is really good by itself and the recycling should be secondary to that.

So if I make the recycling be a result of its destruction it's fine?

I don't generally like "float on death" schticks... you could try the ability to banish it from Graveyard to return 1 banished card to Graveyard. I think that'd be interesting and not too bad but I'm not an absolute expert on if it's too bad or not.

I don't generally like "float on death" schticks... you could try the ability to banish it from Graveyard to return 1 banished card to Graveyard. I think that'd be interesting and not too bad but I'm not an absolute expert on if it's too bad or not.

well this is actually better than what I suggested since I can activate it no matter how it was sent to the Graveyard. (could even work when it was sent directly from the Extra, for all that's worth).

I think SKull Doom Should send any 1 zombie to grave when it kills something in battle. Sendsing multiple mezuki is really strong.

aight, note taken.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived