To Pimp a Butterfly

.Rai

I love the album, I really do, but I think maybe people are slightly overstating it's originality. Lots of great sounds and an interesting enough progression and narrative to tie it together, but the music side of it is the kind of stuff Flying Lotus (to be expected) and Big K.R.I.T have been doing for years. I mean arguably this is the most ambitious and cohesive bringing together of those jazz/funk and psychedelic Hip Hop elements yet, but I don't know if it's quite the absolute game-changer that people make it out to be. For a mainstream rap album at least, it's suitably far-reaching and experimental. I'd probably give it a really strong 8/10 but it's still early days.

Anthony Fantano 10/10 will check

Honestly though, I've been trying to find some hip-hop groups to like and so far Death Grips is the only group that I know I really enjoy. I know this album is nothing like that but what are some other groups I might like?

Honestly though, I've been trying to find some hip-hop groups to like and so far Death Grips is the only group that I know I really enjoy. I know this album is nothing like that but what are some other groups I might like?

Well one of my favourite artists of the moment who produced a track on this album is Flying Lotus: https://youtu.be/2lXD0vv-ds8

I'd also check out artists like MF Doom, A Tribe Called Quest, and some Eric B. and Rakim never goes amiss if you want some old school. 

Also, if Death Grips appeal to you, Kanye's Yeezus might be up your street. I personally think it's one of his best along with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. 

There's a wealth of Hip Hop out there, so you've really gotta explore for yourself. Kendrick's other albums are stellar, too.

you may not enjoy all of these but these are my top picks for Rap albums:

clipping - midcity (youd probably be most likely to get into this one)
Danny Brown - XXX
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
Earl Sweatshirt - EARL
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
Madvillian - Madvilliany
MF Doom - Mmm... Food
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Denzel Curry - Nostalgic 64
Nas - Illmatic
Drake - If Youre Reading This Then Its Too Late (his only solid release imo)
A$AP Rocky - Long Live ASAP
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

also i highly agree with Plainview mentioning Yeezus and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

anyways havent listened to this album though i did enjoy Kendrick Lamar on his second album so i probably will get onto this one easily

you may not enjoy all of these but these are my top picks for Rap albums:

clipping - midcity (youd probably be most likely to get into this one)
Danny Brown - XXX
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
Earl Sweatshirt - EARL
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
Madvillian - Madvilliany
MF Doom - Mmm... Food
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Denzel Curry - Nostalgic 64
Nas - Illmatic
Drake - If Youre Reading This Then Its Too Late (his only solid release imo)
A$AP Rocky - Long Live ASAP
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

also i highly agree with Plainview mentioning Yeezus and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

anyways havent listened to this album though i did enjoy Kendrick Lamar on his second album so i probably will get onto this one easily

Forgot about Run the Jewels, they're great too. And Madvilliany for that matter, that's a top album.

Will check these. I think I remember liking Techno Animal too. I come from a hardcore punk and metal background so I dig a lot of abrasive and noisy stuff.

youre really gonna love clipping then, theyre rap mixed with harsh noise and are much more abrasive than Death Grips are. Yeezus follows the same formula as DG but its a bit more poppy and the lyrics can bother some because it is Kanye at his most egotistical, though everything mentioned in the list is great stuff

youre really gonna love clipping then, theyre rap mixed with harsh noise and are much more abrasive than Death Grips are. Yeezus follows the same formula as DG but its a bit more poppy and the lyrics can bother some because it is Kanye at his most egotistical, though everything mentioned in the list is great stuff

I just listened to CLLPNG and actually thought it was really boring. I also tried RATKING and thought they kind of sucked too...continuing my search. 

I just listened to CLLPNG and actually thought it was really boring. I also tried RATKING and thought they kind of sucked too...continuing my search.

ive only heard midcity, the first time i listened to it i wasnt really that into it and it took me a few tries before i became a fan of it, never heard of RATKING so i cant judge on that front

Probably one of the most important albums that will have been released for the entirety of this year by the end of 2015. Arguably just a really important album in modern hip-hop, full stop.

Ludicrously high quality music, throughout.

Kendrick_Lamar%2C_To_Pimp_a_Butterfly_%2

No doubt this album is incredible, but as a Kendrick fan I wasn't feeling it completely.  It felt overly mellow, but it is a great album.  But to say it will be the album of the year, is a bit early.  There are so many fantastic artists dropping crazy albums this year, that it's unprecedented.

Tech N9ne - Special Effects

Hopsin - Pound Syndrome

SwizZz - ??? (still unknown)

Jarren Benton - Slow Motion

Dizzy Wright - The Growing Process

IIRC, Futuristic is working on an album as well.  So is Lock Smith.  Be patient.  The Best Album of the 2015 Year will be a war.

I have a feeling this album could be nominated for the Grammys. These are my three album recommendations at the moment:

Dark Sky Paradise- Big Sean (I don't f*** with you is my fav song out of this album)

If You're Reading This It's Too Late- Drake (Luv him!!! This album is amazing! Should be nominated for a Grammy)

The Pinkprint- Nicki Minaj (I adored her since I was 10!)

No doubt this album is incredible, but as a Kendrick fan I wasn't feeling it completely.  It felt overly mellow, but it is a great album.  But to say it will be the album of the year, is a bit early.  There are so many fantastic artists dropping crazy albums this year, that it's unprecedented.

Tech N9ne - Special Effects
Hopsin - Pound Syndrome
SwizZz - ??? (still unknown)
Jarren Benton - Slow Motion
Dizzy Wright - The Growing Process

IIRC, Futuristic is working on an album as well.  So is Lock Smith.  Be patient.  The Best Album of the 2015 Year will be a war.

Heh, that was a hell load of artists you named that are associated with Hopsin's label. I imagine a slight bias there, but no mind, I'm definitely looking forward to some of these albums too. I feel like Kendrick's album is still going to edge it out for me. Mellow certainly. I would say that that's been people's main criticism, perhaps. The overt jazz and funk influence might be dated. But, I'd find it staggering (but super pumped) if anyone manages to top the sheer lyrical density of To Pimp a Butterfly.

I'm afraid I'll have to be ludicrously unimaginative in terms of hip-hop releases I'm looking forward to this year. Kanye's new album, and Frank Ocean's, if that's even a thing, and I call him hip-hop in a tangential sense.

Heh, that was a hell load of artists you named that are associated with Hopsin's label. I imagine a slight bias there, but no mind, I'm definitely looking forward to some of these albums too. I feel like Kendrick's album is still going to edge it out for me. Mellow certainly. I would say that that's been people's main criticism, perhaps. The overt jazz and funk influence might be dated. But, I'd find it staggering (but super pumped) if anyone manages to top the sheer lyrical density of To Pimp a Butterfly.

I'm afraid I'll have to be ludicrously unimaginative in terms of hip-hop releases I'm looking forward to this year. Kanye's new album, and Frank Ocean's, if that's even a thing, and I call him hip-hop in a tangential sense.

Haha I am a tiny bit biased.  Those are just the artists I know off top of my head.  Most other artists are like right off of TBP.  Oh and uh, just for more flavor, check Passionate MC.  But yeah, I'm also gonna test the waters with Kanye's next album.  Wasn't feeling Yeezus.  Hoping I can get with the next one.  Frank puttin in work too.  So we'll see.

Haha I am a tiny bit biased. Those are just the artists I know off top of my head. Most other artists are like right off of TBP. Oh and uh, just for more flavor, check Passionate MC. But yeah, I'm also gonna tet the waters with Kanye's next album. Wasn't feeling Yeezus. Hoping I can get with the next one. Frank puttin in work too. So we'll see.

i loved Yeezus, granted the lyrics were a bit too overly egotistical but the production and Death Grips-esque instrumentation really bring the album back up for me

i loved Yeezus, granted the lyrics were a bit too overly egotistical but the production and Death Grips-esque instrumentation really bring the album back up for me

Adding to that, I think Hold my Liquor is one of the best songs he's made. So darkly atmospheric. 

Archived