[Archetype Revision] Dread Angels

VampireofDarkness

Since the dawn of the Dread Angels, the Deck has struggled somewhat to keep a higher Tier status amongst the other Decks on Duel Portal. Whilst part of this was an unnatural balance in some of those archetypes, Dreads also suffered from being able to consistently stay afoot, in addition to the pure build lacking solid power plays that plussed. I did my best to fix this, and these are the results.

For those unfamiliar with the originals, Dread Angels are a DARK Fairy-Type Xyz Based archetype that revolves around keeping one Rank 4 or Rank 8 Xyz on the field at a time. They can easily pump such Xyz out and some have solid effects, can regenerate materials, and have access to several cards that on their own are quite solid. The catch? They all cost Life Points, all effects are mandatory, and you can only control one of each of the Main Deck monsters at a time. Aside from playing the Deck a pure build with the basic concept down, usually with some sort of protection, you can also run several different variants, ranging from a Chaos build taking advantage of cards like Archlord Kristya and White Dragon Collapserpent for BLS/Sorc fodder to running a build meshing it with Batmed's Darklords for a much more aggressive push while keeping the DARK Fairy Typing intact.

As always, CnC is appreciated.

[Spoiler Effect Monsters]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Blackened Wing]
dread_angel_of_the_blackened_wing_by_gra
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Fiendish Gate]
5lwkKXq.jpg
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Endless Grave]
dread_angel_of_the_endless_grave_by_gran
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Unfaithful Moon]
dread_angel_of_the_unfaithful_moon_by_gr
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Fallen Feathers]
kfxw8aU.jpg
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Devoured Throne]
y2iw344.jpg

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 Level 4 DARK Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard. You can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard) by sending 1 Level 8 DARK Fairy-Type monster from your hand to the Graveyard. If you control another monster, this card cannot attack. Once per turn, you can discard 1 DARK Fairy-Type monster, then activate one of the following effects:
● Target 1 DARK Fairy-Type mmonster you control; targeted monster's Level becomes 8 until the End Phase
● Target 1 DARK Fairy-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon the targeted monster, but its ATK becomes 0.
You can only control 1 "Dread Angel of the Devoued Throne".

[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Illusionary Reign]
0A2UtOk.jpg

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 Level 4 DARK Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard. You can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard) by sending 1 Level 8 DARK Fairy-Type monster from your hand to the Graveyard. Once per turn, you can discard 1 DARK Fairy-Type monster from your hand, then activate one of the following effects:
● Target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.
● Target 1 DARK Fairy-Type monster you control; that target is unaffected by the opponent's card effects this turn.
You can only control 1 "Dread Angel of the Illusionary Reign".

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Xyz Monsters]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of Armageddon]
dread_angel_of_armageddon_by_grandmaster
2 Level 4 DARK Fairy-Type Monsters
If this card is the only monster you control, it cannot be destroyed by monster effects. At the start of each player's Battle Phase, target 1 monster your opponent controls, and if you do, detach 1 Material from this card, then pay 500 Life Points (This is not optional); place 1 Armageddon Counter on that monster. If a monster with an Armageddon Counter is destroyed (by battle or by card effect), except by the effect of "Dread Angel of Armageddon", your opponent takes damage equal to half the ATK of the destroyed monster. During the End Phase, destroy all monsters with Armageddon Counters on them. During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of "Dread Angel" monsters you control, except "Dread Angel of Armageddon", and if you do, pay 500 Life Points (This is not optional); Attach the targets to this card as Xyz Materials, then your opponent takes 500 damage for each Xyz Material attached to this card.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of Lustful Reflections]
dread_angel_of_lustful_reflections_by_gr
If this card is the only monster you control, your opponent can only activate the effect of 1 Spell/Trap card per turn. When this card destroys a monster by battle, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and pay 500 Life Points (This is not optional); gain Life Points equal to half the ATK of the destroyed monster. During the End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of "Dread Angel" monsters you control, except "Dread Angel of Lustful Reflections" and if you do, pay 500 Life Points (This is not optional); attach the targeted monsters to this card, then gain 500 Life Points for each attached monster.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Tempted Swords]
0V1oqrN.jpg
When this card battles a monster while it is the only monster you control, your opponent cannot activate cards and effects until the end of the Damage Step. When this card destroys a monster by battle, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and pay 500 Life Points (This is not optional); this card can attack again in a row. Before the end of either player's Battle Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials and your opponent controls a monster(s), target any number of "Dread Angel" monsters you control, except "Dread Angel of the Tempted Swords", and if you do, pay 500 Life Points, then target 1 monster your opponent controls whose ATK is less than this card's original ATK (This is not optional); Attach the first target(s) to this card as Xyz Materials, then destroy the second target.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Forgotten Vengeance]
dread_angel_of_the_forgotten_vengeance_b
2 Level 8 DARK Fairy-Type Monsters
If this card is the only monster you control and has Xyz Materials, it can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. During each player's End Phase, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, pay 800 Life Points, then target 1 card your opponent control; destroy that target. During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of "Dread Angels" you control, except "Dread Angel of the Forgotten Vengeance" and if you do, pay 800 Life Points (This is not optional); you can destroy 1 Set card on the field.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Razor's Edge]
dread_angel_of_the_razor_s_edge_by_grand
If this card is the only monster you control and has Xyz Materials, neither player can activate Spell or Trap cards, except during the Main Phase and End Phase. At the start of each of your opponent's Standby Phases, detach 1 Xyz material from this card and target 1 card your opponent controls, then pay 800 Life Points (This is not optional); until the end of this turn, that card's effects are negated, and if it is Set, it cannot be flipped face up. During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of "Dread Angel monsters you control, except "Dread Angel of the Razor's Edge" and if you do, pay 800 Life Points and target 1 Set Spell/Trap card your opponent controls, if any (This is not optional); attach the first targets to this card, and the second target cannot be activated while you control this card.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Dread Angel of the Withered Rose]
dread_angel_of_the_withered_rose_by_gran
If this card is the only monster you control and has Xyz Materials, it is unaffected by other card effects. At the start of each of your opponent's Draw Phases, before they draw, pay 800 Life Points and detach 1 Xyz Material from this card (This is not optional); look at the top card of your opponent's Deck, then put that card on the top or bottom of their Deck. During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of "Dread Angel" monsters you control, except "Dread Angel of the Withered Rose" then pay 800 Life Points (This is not optional); Attach the first targets to this card as Xyz Materials, then look at the top card of your opponent's Deck, and put that card on the top or bottom of their Deck.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Spell Cards]
[Spoiler Shadows of the Dread Angels]
shadows_of_the_dread_angels_by_grandmast
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Sorrow of the Dread Angels]
sorrow_of_the_dread_angels_by_grandmaste
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Feathers of the Dread Angels]
feathers_of_the_dread_angels_by_grandmas
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Fallen City of the Dread Angels]
fallen_city_of_the_dread_angels_by_grand
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler Cemetery of the Dread Angels]
cemetery_of_the_dread_angels_by_grandmas
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Trap Card]
[Spoiler Last Resort of the Dread Angels]
last_resort_of_the_dread_angels_by_grand
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

So much Superbia love I'm almost touched for the card.

That aside I don't see many problems.

Is Illusionary Reign ever actually used for his effect and not just an easy level 8?

I never realized that the Xyz monsters were so imposing...How did I every stand a chance against these things.

As for Fallen City I don't think the second set of life gaining is necessary. It sounds like you are rewarded for your opponent trying to remove the card.

As for Last Resort...what exactly does it counter that warrants it being a counter trap card.

So much Superbia love I'm almost touched for the card.

That aside I don't see many problems.

Is Illusionary Reign ever actually used for his effect and not just an easy level 8?
I never realized that the Xyz monsters were so imposing...How did I every stand a chance against these things.
As for Fallen City I don't think the second set of life gaining is necessary. It sounds like you are rewarded for your opponent trying to remove the card.

As for Last Resort...what exactly does it counter that warrants it being a counter trap card.

Lol Superbia lost a bit of power indirectly now that:
1. Moon doesn't trigger off of it
2. Na'amah got nerfed so you can't do the bs shenanigans you were doing with it before, you have to drop it by its own effect to actually get the SS
3. Sorrow is no longer a Trade In
Still good and you are right, a bit of love to it and Throne does help, but isn't quite as..... Crazy.

As for Illusionary Reign, I used to use it to get rid of impending threats if Sly or Hyperion aren't able to be made quickly, with this be even more so since Rank 8s are harder to make than before. The applications for it can be considered unique in comparison to Throne, but I do find them to be solid enough to still run it outside of just being an accessible Level 8

Fallen City I can consider changing. Deck is still being extensively tested, so I'll know for sure if it's something I should address or not

Last Resort if you ask me is a glorified Dark Illusion really, hence how I justify it as a Counter Trap. It doesn't negate, but it takes out the threat, hence countering it

• 2 weeks later...

Nerfed a few cards:

- Fallen Feathers gets cards in the Graveyard instead of searching them

- Gate only works now when detached from a DARK Fairy Xyz

- Throne makes you target upon activation so you don't SS the same monster you sent as a cost, also its ATK becomes 0

- Both Throne and Reign can only attack now while they are the only monster you control, similar to Photon Thrasher

I like the idea and its pretty good, but it has a lot of recycle and search engine, and the fact that the XYZ first effect become kinda useless because your spamm of the field
The XYZ are good, nothing to say about
All the Spell are basically bases on the XYZ, i feel is too much reliant
The effect of the Trap or take our the next battle is way too OP, we are talking about a deck that spamm so easily, having the time to summon another XYZ is so good for this deck
Beside this, is a good deck and have a very controled swarm in comparation to other decks

Archived