The Deaf Aids - A Dozen Dead Oceans

L0SS

I've just released a mixtape/EP and I'd really appreciate you guys checking it out and giving some feedback. It draws on a lot of genres, from psychedelia to jazz to Hip Hop to Industrial stuff, though I guess it's primarily electronic. Inspired by experimental jazz artists, as well as modern Hip Hop and electronic stuff, Flying Lotus as an example. Hopefully it has an appealing identity of its own. Feedback is really appreciated to help me shape my sound and my upcoming project (a full album with proper production and a proper release is on the cards... got some exciting stuff brewing). Thanks!

a2331161878_2.jpg

https://thedeafaids.bandcamp.com/album/a-dozen-dead-oceans

WAAAH WAAAH LIZTUN 2 MUH MUZIK WUUUUHHH

anyways its a pretty good start with some nicely done loops and some nice analog-esque sounds being mixed in with more digital type sounds, not the most innovative but its fun to hear when the two clash together. the biggest problem with the album is that it feels too soaked in its influences, i can just easily pick out which parts of the songs are taking stuff from Flying Lotus, Radiohead, Burial, Aphex Twin, DJ Shadow, Autechre etc. though the best part is how unpredictable the songs are, a lot of the sounds that came by in certain songs were pretty surprising and definitely added a lot of interest into the album. though i thoroughly enjoyed this debut, it needs a bit more distinction to become a love it from me.

7/10 solid as hell album with a few minor tweaks needed

WAAAH WAAAH LIZTUN 2 MUH MUZIK WUUUUHHH

anyways its a pretty good start with some nicely done loops and some nice analog-esque sounds being mixed in with more digital type sounds, not the most innovative but its fun to hear when the two clash together. the biggest problem with the album is that it feels too soaked in its influences, i can just easily pick out which parts of the songs are taking stuff from Flying Lotus, Radiohead, Burial, Aphex Twin, DJ Shadow, Autechre etc. though the best part is how unpredictable the songs are, a lot of the sounds that came by in certain songs were pretty surprising and definitely added a lot of interest into the album. though i thoroughly enjoyed this debut, it needs a bit more distinction to become a love it from me.

7/10 solid as hell album with a few minor tweaks needed

Thank you for listening! Glad you liked it. I see your point, perhaps not the most innovative blend, this was really a dip in the murky waters of electronic music. Interestingly enough, I've never listened to Burial... or DJ Shadow... (I know I really should!) but I see your point, those few influences I've taken from are pretty prominent. I guess I'm still discovering my own sound and method of working. Cheers anyway, I'll take it on board.

Thank you for listening! Glad you liked it. I see your point, perhaps not the most innovative blend, this was really a dip in the murky waters of electronic music. Interestingly enough, I've never listened to Burial... or DJ Shadow... (I know I really should!) but I see your point, those few influences I've taken from are pretty prominent. I guess I'm still discovering my own sound and method of working. Cheers anyway, I'll take it on board.

im pretty sure youll get your own signature sound pat down sooner or later

Endtroducing is one of the legendary 90s electronic album, really innovative in the Trip-Hop genre, so yeah you should really get onto it, i havent really listened to anything else by DJ Shadow though

Burial is responsible for making Untrue which is considered to be a cult classic and a major step in the underground electronic scene, the sound has a very deep depressing ambient tone with a lot if metallic clangy beats underneath it, topped off with weird vocal samples, his Rival Dealer EP is some good stuff too, though i havent dug too much into Burial other than that.

yooo have i beaten you to posting your own track on ycm? digging this as well https://thedeafaids.bandcamp.com/track/the-universal-river

I agree with a lot of Moog's analysis. Great stuff overall. You definitely show your influences on your sleeve, although not necessarily in a bad way. Your sound is still definitely more than just the sum of your influences, and there's some really interesting stuff going on.

Tons of super interesting tracks though. King of Anglia!'s minimalistic take on Flying Lotus is really cool; I'm especially liking the gallop drums that just fill the back of the mix. They're amazing in the track. Kendal Mint Cake is amazing, by the way. Kinda delves into the same Flying Lotus space. Those spacey snares are particularly like him. Your jazz arrangement is great on the track, the synth lines two-thirds and onwards into the track are absolutely insane.

The almost grime and drum-and-bass influenced Like Icarus is a really fun outlier to the rest of the album's general style of beat. By the end, it is almost a four-to-the-floor dance track. Which is actually crazy fun.

What Moog said about unpredictable sounds is definitely a great thing here. Keep developing your sound. There's a lot of interesting nuance, and places to take your music. Experiment even more, see what works.

Oh, and, yeah, listen to Burial and DJ Shadow. my goodness

yooo have i beaten you to posting your own track on ycm? digging this as well https://thedeafaids.bandcamp.com/track/the-universal-river

I agree with a lot of Moog's analysis. Great stuff overall. You definitely show your influences on your sleeve, although not necessarily in a bad way. Your sound is still definitely more than just the sum of your influences, and there's some really interesting stuff going on.

Tons of super interesting tracks though. King of Anglia!'s minimalistic take on Flying Lotus is really cool; I'm especially liking the gallop drums that just fill the back of the mix. They're amazing in the track. Kendal Mint Cake is amazing, by the way. Kinda delves into the same Flying Lotus space. Those spacey snares are particularly like him. Your jazz arrangement is great on the track, the synth lines two-thirds and onwards into the track are absolutely insane.

The almost grime and drum-and-bass influenced Like Icarus is a really fun outlier to the rest of the album's general style of beat. By the end, it is almost a four-to-the-floor dance track. Which is actually crazy fun.

What Moog said about unpredictable sounds is definitely a great thing here. Keep developing your sound. There's a lot of interesting nuance, and places to take your music. Experiment even more, see what works.

Oh, and, yeah, listen to Burial and DJ Shadow. my goodness

Oh yeah, that was for some random music thing on a forum where you had to create something based on the idea of a body of water, sort of just put it on there for ease. Glad you like it though! Cheers for the analysis, happy that you've pointed at the ideas that work, means I can shape it all and cut out some of the excess for the next time. I'm fond of those synth lines on Kendal actually, I recorded them far slower and then had them lying around, and sped them up and distorted them for that track which seemed to work.
Definitely will listen to them, been meaning to for a while! Thanks Rai!

Archived