[Archetype] CocoaGalaxy's LA Archetype (Lightning Arms)

CocoaGalaxy

Why is it shortened to LA? Well that's not really that important now is it? Hohoho

Well who knows anyway.

#Totally not because I wanted to cut down on word lengths

Anyway, LA archetype is very, very simple. Summon Rank 4s.

Okay maybe not quite, there are two Synchros with modest to powerful effects, though in my duels so far, not that it has been a lot mind you, I've not actually been able to do much with them.

Anyway...I suppose here we go then

Main Deck Monsters

[Spoiler=LA Uketomete]

LA - Uketomete

Thunder/Effect/LIGHT/4/0/0

(1): If this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "LA - Uketomete" from your Deck
You can only use the effect of "LA - Uketomete" once per turn

The main method you'll be getting out your Xyzs really. Diode, a card later, will recycle your Ukes so that they can continue to be Summoned from the Deck. Assuming you can bring out Diode anyway.

If it's really a really HUGE OVERWHELMING problem I can make the effect only during your turn, otherwise it's perfectly balanced, nothing to worry about at all. There shouldn't be any silly comments talking about how +1s are unfair, or 1 card Xyzs are unfair either.

[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Current]

LA - Current

(1): If this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Level 4 "LA" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target
You can only use the effect of "LA - Current" once per turn

Current makes a 1 card 3 Material Xyz with Uke, assuming you have any Ukes left in the Deck. Otherwise Current makes a 1 card 2 Material Xyz, which is perfectly balanced with no qualms at all. Current has been nerfed from the previously any Summon though, but it should still be all sorts of balanced. I do miss the fact that it can no longer be triggered with Special Summons, but oh well, what can I say.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Wings]
LA - Wings
(1): If this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "LA" monster from your hand

Simple, no frills, hand summoner. Really, that's all there is to say about it.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Meteor]
LA - Meteor
(1): If this card is Summoned: You can inflict 1000 damage to your opponent or gain 1000 Life Points. 
You can only use the effect of "LA - Meteor" once per turn

A simple, or well, it kinda used to be, effect damage source. Well, to be honest, nowadays I find myself caring more about my own Life Points than my opponent's, so I've actually not used it for burn either. Initially it was just a burn damage, but now it's Life Point recovery as well, or maybe "instead".
I've been considering removing the OPT since I can't really imagine myself summoning more than one a turn anyway
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Impulse]
LA - Impulse
(1): You can tribute 1 other "LA" monster you control or from your hand; Special Summon 1 "LA" monster from your Deck. 
You can only use the effect of "LA - Impulse" once per turn

Impulse, to be honest, actually..feels a bit out of place. With the amount of mobility the Deck has, it actually isn't too concerned about fetching a monster from the Deck, so I've yet to actually summon Impulse.
Not sure, I'd feel more than just a bit bad about removing Impulse to be honest, but I can hardly think of any other changes to make to him. #Firstworldproblems
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Prism]
[Spoiler=LA Prism]
LA - Prism
Thunder/Tuner/Effect/LIGHT/4/0/0
(1): Once per turn: You can target 1 "LA" monster you control; It is treated as a Tuner Monster, also if it's an Xyz Monster, for a Synchro Summon this turn, it can be treated as a Level 4 monster

For once, we actually have a Tuner monster!. In all honesty, it's actually quite powerful, or rather, the Xyz and/or Synchros are.

It's a basic no frills Tuner with the bonus effect of turning another monster into a Tuner, with the added effect of making an Xyz Monster usable for a Synchro Summon. For obvious reasons anyway

Not really that much to say about it in the end. [/Spoiler]

[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Diode]

LA - Diode

(1): If this card is Summoned: You can target up to 5 "LA" or Xyz Monsters that are banished or in your Graveyard; Shuffle them into the Deck

Diode does it's job of recycling your used Xyz Monsters back into your Deck, returning your banished cards to your Deck, and kinda sneakily, it also shuffles cards back into your opponent's Deck.

Again, another no frills card, nothing much to say really.

[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Soul]

LA - Soul

(1): If this card is Summoned during your turn: You can pay 1000 Life Points; Special Summon 1 "LA" monster from your Deck
You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you use this effect. 
You can only use the effect of "LA - Soul" once per turn

One of the newer additions to the Deck. At the cost of a 1000 Life Points and skipping your Battle Phase, you get to Summon 1 monster for your Deck, which is arguably a fair trade about half the time I think.
Skipping the Battle Phase is pretty costly for the Deck, though I think the same could be said for a number of other Decks.
Soul itself is a bit more controversial I would think, but as it is right now it's not overwhelmingly broken or anything
What can I say though
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Transition]
LA - Transition
(1): If this card is Summoned during your turn: You can pay 1000 Life Points; Add 1 "LA" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand
You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you use this effect.
You can only use the effect of "LA - Transition" once per turn

Also a recent addition to the Deck, Transition augments your hand instead of your field. While it may not seem like a terribly good decision, the hand actually is more important than the field, or as important anyway, so it's important as well.
Again, the same cost of 1000 Life Points, and arguably more important, the same skipping of your Battle Phase
If absolutely necessary I would have to devise a way to make sure only Transition or Soul can go off in the same turn, which would normally be done by making them go off with a Normal Summon, except Current itself already does. Technically speaking I could move Current back into the any Summon category, but that would probably result in something else being needed to be changed somewhere, which would just cause all sorts of problems. Sigh
Anyway enough of that, Transition itself is not "totally" necessary, but the Deck can very easily run out of a hand as well, especially when you aggressively push forward (that is to say, about half the time)
So honestly I can't tell either. Sigh
[/Spoiler]

Extra Deck Monsters

[Spoiler=LA Medallion]
LA - Medallion
Thunder/Xyz/Effect/LIGHT/4/2500/2500
2 or more Level 4 "LA" monsters
(1): Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Add 1 "LA" monster from your Deck to your hand.
(2): When only this card is targeted by a card effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card;
Negate the activation, also gain 1000 Life Points

Medallion is a straight up modest Rank 4 beater, searcher, with a small amount of self protection built into it. Originally the protection could also negate attacks, but oh well, what can I say.
As it is right now, Medallion is pretty strong, though it poses no threat to monsters with higher beating power in all honesty, since the Deck itself lacks any sort of tangible Defense, plus the effect was changed to what it is now.
I actually learnt the hard way that you should probably run two Medallions, though that's probably an obvious thing to do in the first place
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Electron Dragon]
LA - Electron Dragon
Thunder/Xyz/Effect/LIGHT/8/3000/2500
1 Level 4 "LA" Tuner + 1 Level 4 "LA" monster
(1): If this card is Synchro Summoned by using an Xyz Monster(s): You can target 1 card your opponent controls; Shuffle it into the Deck. 
(2): Once per turn: You can target 1 card on the field; Destroy it.

Here comes one of the stronger monsters. In all honesty, the first effect is..largely balanced, to an extent anyway. If absolutely necessary I'd have to make the effects hard OPT but that's about it
It's actually hilariously strong yet not that strong, or not broken rather.
Also "yay" for overly specific Level demands, lol. It hardly matters anyway
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=LA Duality Dragon]
LA - Duality Dragon
Thunder/Xyz/Effect/LIGHT/12/3000/3000
2 Level 4 "LA" Tuners + 1 Level 4 "LA" monster
(1): If this card is Synchro Summoned by using an Xyz Monster(s): You can target 1 card your opponent controls; Shuffle it into the Deck.
(2): Once per turn: You can target up to 2 cards on the field; Destroy them

Looks very similar to Electron Dragon isn't it? It's ATK value was nerfed after I decided that it probably wasn't necessary at all anyway. In all honesty, it does feel very awkward and all alongside the fellow Extra Deck monsters, but I'm not really sure what to do with it either. Hoho.
[/Spoiler]

Spells

[Spoiler=Lightning Assault]
[Spoiler=Lightning Assault]
Normal Spell
(1): Special Summon 1 "LA" monster from your Deck
(2): During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your Normal Draw: You can pay 2000 Life Points; Add this card from your Graveyard to your hand

Straight up Deck Summoner. Combined with Uke, it's straight up a 1 card 2 Material Xyz.
If it's too overwhelming I suppose I could always put a hard OPT on it, because I will admit that it is kinda scary having to stare down two of these in a single turn. [/Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=Lightning Reborn]
Normal Spell
(1): Target 1 Level 4 "LA" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it
(2): During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your Normal Draw: You can pay 2000 Life Points; Add this card from your Graveyard to your hand

Straight up themed Monster Reborn. It only works with the base Level 4s though, no silly summoning Xyz/Synchro shenanigans.
Again, if it's too overwhelming, I could put a hard OPT on it, assuming it actually happens often enough in the first place
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=Lightning Trident]
Normal Spell
(1): Tribute 1 "LA" monster from your hand or side of the field, then target 1 card on the field ; Add 1 "LA" monster from your Deck to your hand, also destroy that target

Well for starters, these types of cards are usually called, in my mind, "Swiss Army Knife" cards, though not necessarily though, since ..well, all the cards are different. In some way anyway..most of the time. 
Moving on, I've yet to actually use this card though, hilariously, so I can't tell how effective it actually is.
Probably for some other time then.
[/Spoiler]

The rest of the relevant cards (namely Xyzs) are in my Xyz/Synchro thread.
While some of the cards there were made initially to assist this archetype, it's not necessarily a complete thing, since any archetype that can summon them can make use of them anyway.

LA itself is very simple, though I think most of my archetypes are anyway. Hohoho.
I'm not actually sure what you all would comment anyway, assuming anybody does anyway, but feel free to comment
Now that I've said that I might just regret it, lol, but..well I suppose I should try anyway
Of course, no pressure to comment on everything in a single go or anything.

I won't actually be keeping a changelog for this thread, because..well it's not exactly as long as the Xyz thread. Well that's what I say now. But I think it really isn't needed for this thread.

- Uketomete looks fine, to be honest. Considering that you only really can use this once before having to recycle, and the fact that the card can become dead if you don't have any targets in the deck makes this alright. It's like a Tourguide, except it has to be Special Summoned and you can't just grab any monster with it. I can see something like this causing issues in the late-game, however, as a lot of people don't like one-card plays because of how they can turn a game around. Maybe consider a little bit an LP cost make using the card more of a risk in the late-game?
- Maybe consider a limit of what monsters you can summon with Current, as the toolbox it suddenly can very easily have access to becomes a little scary.

- Wings is fine.
- I'd tone back the numbers for Meteor quite a bit, maybe down to the 500's. 1000 is pretty big, and being able to gain 1000 is pretty big as well.
- I'd maybe take Impulse out. It doesn't seem to gel too well with the deck's theme, and remember that summoning from the deck effects are ones you want to be careful with. Its effect as-is seems to make some really explosive plays, so if you do want to keep it I'd consider making the summoned monster's effects negated.

- I would strongly suggest taking out the Xyz-With-A-Level effect from the tuner. Being able to target the monsters is good, but being useful with any of your monsters is way too good. I'd also consider making the effect target other monsters besides itself, and only level 4 or lower monsters. This at least tones down the number of plays you can make with him and keeps the card's balance in check.

- Diode? NOOOOOO nonoonononoonoo. That's WAY too good. You've made a card that shuts down SO many strategies in stupidly effective manners. I would STRONGLY consider restricting its effect to YOUR graveyard only (leave the banished zone alone), and only targeting LA monsters. As-is, that card is EXTREMELY useful in so many decks that DON'T have "LA" in the name. Zombies and Beelze decks would have a HAYDAY with this beast.

- I take back what I said Impulse. Take Impulse out entirely. This card fills in the Impulse niche, but does so in a much more balanced manner (costing the battlephase is pretty big). Having both cards feels redundant. I would also negate the effects of the monster summoned.

- So it's a Deneb that targets the grave but costs you your battlephase. Okay.

- Medallion does too much for its effect. I would do EITHER the search, OR the target/battle protection (might want to proof-read that effect, it's a little confusing). Doing both makes this card an archetype-specific Utopia that's actually WAY better than Utopia in every respect.
- Hmmmmm now I can see where the Xyz monsters come into effect. Maybe consider a work-around with the tuner, then.
- I'm very confused about Duality Dragon. Is it supposed to be a level 12? Because right now, the tuner/non-tuner levels don't add up and they really should. I would also strongly consider reworking this card as right now it not only doesn't look worth summoning since it's only barely better than Electron Dragon with a larger cost, but functionally it looks a little strange.
- Lightning Assault is basically a Summoner Monk in one card that you can recycle every turn. This is WAAAYYY too good, especially with no additional activation cost and only 1000 burn for the summon. This card is in need of a serious re-haul.

- Lightning Reborn is also way too good, especially now that re-reading the card you can easily chain this with Assault and add 2 cards to your hand, one being an archetype-specific Monster Reborn and the other being an archetype-specific Summoner Monk. I swear, if Shock Master wasn't banned...
- Either the search or the destruction; having both makes for a card that does too much. Keeping the tribute cost and the destruction cost honestly just makes this a spell-form of Raigeki-Jr. and wouldn't be very good. As-is the archetype already has almost too much consistency, so I would also consider reworking this card.

And just a tip, you want to stray from having every card add something to your hand. Most archetypes only have one or two search cards, and the ones that have more are generally overpowered and unliked (see: Igknights and Nekroz). Try to stay away from "Every play generates advantage" designs.

Hmm, seems like I may have made some typo errors in my OP.

Let me correct them.

For now, I'll see what I can do about Impulse (that is, think about exactly what the heck I'm going to do with it that is preferably not a rip off of some other effect)

I'm pretty sure the ruling is that you can't chain Assault and Reborn together, though to be honest, I've not gotten a conclusive answer about it on DNF. I'll have to bump that post again.

If Trident does genuinely turn out to be too strong I'll see, but it'll need more testing, among other things, before I can actually think about it.

Uketomete isn't just a +1, it's a +1 becuase you +1'd and turns anything that can ss into a 1-card ED card.

If it was realised you could make a deck with uketomete and diode that would mean literally 90% of the deck would be made of 1 card ED cards. (coth for example would instantly be made into a 1 card ED card)

Archived