Almanac - The Deaf Aids

L0SS

a0393759417_16.jpg

https://thedeafaids.bandcamp.com/album/almanac

Just finished my latest album, a dark electronic ensemble inspired by hosts of stuff, primarily Amnesiac, some Krautrock, Jazz, and Kratwerk. Also has some orchestral elements to it. It's pretty dark, definitely draws from my current mindset and depression. Would really appreciate people give it a spin because I'm pretty proud of it, definitely the best thing I've done so far, and I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. Thanks.

CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE WHILST CHANGES ARE BEING MADE

sucks about your depression, hope youre able to kick it away, i once had depression being balanced with anger issues when i was 12, it really wasnt fun at all.

this is a pretty solid album, i see a few of your influences shining out definitely some Kraftwerk in there though only a few select parts made me think of Amnesiac. a lot of the beats on this album gave me a Future Garage / Old School UK Dubstep kind of feel something like a darker version of Clubroot or a less bass oriented version of Distance and Vex'd. i was expecting the album to be a whole lot darker than it really was after you mentioned your depression and Amnesiac being influences, though what i got was still pretty good on its own, lots of atmosphere and it really gives off a lonesome feel. dont understand where the Post-Rock tag is coming from, this album has as much in common with that genre as it does with Metalcore, really no similarity whatsoever. not too sure what id say is the worst part of the album but i can definitely say that the harmonica part in "i feel okay" really makes no sense at all, i have no idea what was up with that and "You Love Me (You Just Dont Know It Yet)" was really cheesy and a few moments from that track were kind of annoying but i started to not mind it once it hit the 3:00 mark and we got a few good sweepy synth sounds, still really adds up to quite the weak ending, also some of the Jazz-y parts felt a little bit forced in there, but they lasted for a short enough time to not be very distracting. i think the best tracks are Inertia, You're Not Awake, This Time I Mean It (even though i did find that it dragged on a bit), brief dream, Erase Me and Alienation, the worst tracks are definitely the two ending tracks, i get that theyre supposed to represent the ending of the depression and that theres a light at the end of the tunnel but they both sound so damn cheesy, like at first "i feel okay" sounds like one of the stronger tracks but then comes on the harmonica and i wont lie but i actually laughed at it from there on, then the last track opens up with this really cliche piano thats trying to convey emotion but its not obvious whether its supposed to be happy or sad and theres also this really annoying high pitched synth lead that comes on it though ill give that a rest because the sweeping synth sounds that come in at about 3:00 were really cool.

overall its a pretty good outing, its got a few flaws in it but the good stuff is well done enough for the flaws to be outweighed

sucks about your depression, hope youre able to kick it away, i once had depression being balanced with anger issues when i was 12, it really wasnt fun at all.

this is a pretty solid album, i see a few of your influences shining out definitely some Kraftwerk in there though only a few select parts made me think of Amnesiac. a lot of the beats on this album gave me a Future Garage / Old School UK Dubstep kind of feel something like a darker version of Clubroot or a less bass oriented version of Distance and Vex'd. i was expecting the album to be a whole lot darker than it really was after you mentioned your depression and Amnesiac being influences, though what i got was still pretty good on its own, lots of atmosphere and it really gives off a lonesome feel. dont understand where the Post-Rock tag is coming from, this album has as much in common with that genre as it does with Metalcore, really no similarity whatsoever. not too sure what id say is the worst part of the album but i can definitely say that the harmonica part in "i feel okay" really makes no sense at all, i have no idea what was up with that and "You Love Me (You Just Dont Know It Yet)" was really cheesy and a few moments from that track were kind of annoying but i started to not mind it once it hit the 3:00 mark and we got a few good sweepy synth sounds, still really adds up to quite the weak ending, also some of the Jazz-y parts felt a little bit forced in there, but they lasted for a short enough time to not be very distracting. i think the best tracks are Inertia, You're Not Awake, This Time I Mean It (even though i did find that it dragged on a bit), brief dream, Erase Me and Alienation, the worst tracks are definitely the two ending tracks, i get that theyre supposed to represent the ending of the depression and that theres a light at the end of the tunnel but they both sound so damn cheesy, like at first "i feel okay" sounds like one of the stronger tracks but then comes on the harmonica and i wont lie but i actually laughed at it from there on, then the last track opens up with this really cliche piano thats trying to convey emotion but its not obvious whether its supposed to be happy or sad and theres also this really annoying high pitched synth lead that comes on it though ill give that a rest because the sweeping synth sounds that come in at about 3:00 were really cool.

overall its a pretty good outing, its got a few flaws in it but the good stuff is well done enough for the flaws to be outweighed

Thanks for the listen. I agree it isn't as dark as I perhaps made out... I guess it was intended to be a bit of a journey musically. I'd say that the piano in the last track was sort of intentionally cheesy? And listening again, the harmonica and that synth are the two things I really dislike, so I'm going to change that and rerecord some stuff. Not sure where the post rock tag came from, think it was a general one I forgot to change. 

Archived