[MtG] Jarzuul the Dominion (written)

heraldry_lord

Jarzuul the Dominion

Mana Cost: {5}{U}{U}

Planeswalker - Jarzuul

Starting loyalty: 6

+1: Target opponent chooses a card type other than land or tribal, then you look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal any number of cards with the chosen type from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. (Artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.)

-3: Target opponent chooses a nonland permanent type, then you reveal your hand. If a card of the chosen type is not in your hand, gain control of a permanent of your choice with the chosen type. (A permanent card is an artifact, creature, enchantment, land, or planeswalker card.)

-9: Target opponent chooses three different card types other than land or tribal, then you reveal your hand. For each chosen card type, if there is no card of that type in your hand, search your library for a card of that type. If that card is a permanent card, put it onto the battlefield, and if it is not, exile it. Then shuffle your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs.

It's supposed to be a Sphinx planeswalker.

Can you reveal your hand if you have no hand to reveal?

You always have a hand, even if it has no cards, so yes, you can reveal it.

Jarzuul the Dominion

Mana Cost: {5}{U}{U}

Planeswalker - Jarzuul

Starting loyalty: 6

+1: Target opponent chooses a card type, then you look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal any number of cards with the chosen type from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. (Artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.)

-3: Target opponent chooses a permanent type, then you reveal your hand. If a card of the chosen type is not in your hand, gain control of a permanent of your choice with the chosen type. (A permanent card is an artifact, creature, enchantment, land, or planeswalker card.)

-9: Target opponent chooses three different nonland card types, then you reveal your hand. For each chosen card type, if there is no card of that type in your hand, search your library for a card of that type. If that card is a permanent card, put it onto the battlefield, and if it is not, exile it. Then shuffle your library. Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs.

It's supposed to be a Sphinx planeswalker.

Fixed your wording for you. I have made many small changes, but I won't talk about most of them, since some of them are mainly style. I will discuss the 'large' changes.

First ability:

• When referring to objects, numbers are written out in words. When referring to life, numbers are written as numerals. (Two cards, but 2 life.)

• If you're "looking" at the cards, your opponents can't confirm if you've added "all" of the given type to your hand. Under your wording, it would be cheating not to, but it would be an uncomfirmable cheat (something WotC heavily avoids). I changed the wording to what I think you meant, given what the ability does. [if you meant that all have to be added, then your wording should be "Reveal the top five cards of your library, put all cards with the chosen card type into your hand, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order."]

• Reminder text goes at the end of the text of an ability. Also, I've replaced both remnder texts with the correct reminder texts.

Second ability:

• Your targeting procedure as it was written was impossible. All targets have to be chosen as the ability is being activated, but the choosing of the type as written happens during the resolution. Thus, you can't choose a target of the chosen type if the type hasn't even been chosen yet. Given that circumstance and the fact that this is a loyalty ability, I had to make the gaining control part of this ability non-targeting.

Third ability seems fine. Just changes I've mentioned previously. Also, I'm not sure 'different' is entirely needed here, but then again, no card I've seen has needed a single player to choose multiple card types. Personally, I'd just change the last ability so that all the cards get exiled. It saves card space and makes the ability less complicated.

Another note is that, if you have an empty hand, any type they name will not be in your hand. If that was intended, good, but do remember that blue players rather dislike emptying their hand.

Another note is that, if you have an empty hand, any type they name will not be in your hand. If that was intended, good, but do remember that blue players rather dislike emptying their hand.

Yes, that was part of my intention.

Much thanks for the changes and corrections.

EDIT: I have a question; do you think this would be better off as a cheaper Dimir walker? I've been flip-flopping between doing that and making the pure-blue high-costed walker you see here.  The black portion certainly helps with cutting down your hand.

Yes, that was part of my intention.

Much thanks for the changes and corrections.

EDIT: I have a question; do you think this would be better off as a cheaper Dimir walker? I've been flip-flopping between doing that and making the pure-blue high-costed walker you see here.  The black portion certainly helps with cutting down your hand.

The problem isn't the ability to empty your hand; the problem is that discarding cards isn't fun to do (the main reason why Odyssey block was disliked by many players).

Other notes I thought of are that the first two abilities should exclude lands just like the last ability.

While every situation is different, a +1 that late in the game will likely result in the opponent choosing lands. You won't miss a land drop, but those lands are near-useless unless you're discarding them for something useful. In which case, your +1 is being just that: a +1.

The opponent will likely choose land for the -3 as well, especially if the opponent keeps filling your hand with lands with the first ability. And let's say that you miraculously have no hand, or no lands in hand. Congratulations, you get to take... a land. You've slowed down an opposing control player, but few other decks will really care.

The problem isn't the ability to empty your hand; the problem is that discarding cards isn't fun to do (the main reason why Odyssey block was disliked by many players).

Other notes I thought of are that the first two abilities should exclude lands just like the last ability.

While every situation is different, a +1 that late in the game will likely result in the opponent choosing lands. You won't miss a land drop, but those lands are near-useless unless you're discarding them for something useful. In which case, your +1 is being just that: a +1.

The opponent will likely choose land for the -3 as well, especially if the opponent keeps filling your hand with lands with the first ability. And let's say that you miraculously have no hand, or no lands in hand. Congratulations, you get to take... a land. You've slowed down an opposing control player, but few other decks will really care.

Hmm, you have a point there.  Maybe I should exclude tribal from the first and third ability too; if they choose tribal for the first ability, and you don't have any tribals, you get nothing, and if they choose tribal as one of the types for the third ability, it limits what you can pull from your library.

Hmm, you have a point there.  Maybe I should exclude tribal from the first and third ability too; if they choose tribal for the first ability, and you don't have any tribals, you get nothing, and if they choose tribal as one of the types for the third ability, it limits what you can pull from your library.

Sounds reasonable. In which case, your wording should probably change to something like "card type(s) other than land or tribal" where appropriate. Council of the Absolute states "[...] name a card other than a creature or land card," suggesting that, where there are multiple of these exceptions, they'll switch to an 'other than' wording.

EDIT: There's a reason the reminder text says (Artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.) ; it's because that these aren't the only card types. According to the comprehensive rules:

"300.1: The card types are artifact, conspiracy, creature, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard."

The reason the other cards with reminder text about card types only mentions the regular ones is because you choose a card type, and therefore, you're probably going to choose one of those since you want the card to do something. In that case, though, your opponent can choose Conspiracy, Plane, and/or Phenomenon for the first or third ability and you'll get nothing.

EDIT 2: Your design idea is admirable, but I don't think there is actually a wording that will do what you want to do unless you create a word/phrase for 'card type that can be put into a library'. 

Archived