[MtG] Rift Clock (written)

heraldry_lord

Rift Clock

Mana Cost: {1}

Artifact

{2},{T}: Put a charge counter on Rift Clock.

{T}, Remove six charge counters from Rift Clock: Take an extra turn after this one.

{T}, Remove twelve charge counters from Rift Clock: You win the game.

When this clock is done chiming, your time is up.

[spoiler=Big Images]
magistrates-scepter.jpgdarksteel-reactor.jpg

The images I wanted to post from gatherer aren't allowed on this community, so if you can't see the big images from tappedout, look up Magistrate's Scepter and Darksteel Reactor on http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx .

I see the flavor of what you were trying to do, but if I wanted an extra turn engine, I wouldn't mind footing up an extra mana to essentially halve the time it would take to get there; if I wanted a 'win the game' engine, I wouldn't mind footing an extra mana to not have to pay mana to build up counters and I wouldn't mind having to wait more turns to help provide some extra safety for the win condition.

This is an 8/10 on flavor, but given both the above two cards and the large amount of mana used to power this thing, I'll have to give it a 2/10 on playability. It MIGHT (keyword: might) be good with Vorel and Doubling Sesaon, but then again, so are a lot of other, better things.

[spoiler=Big Images]

magistrates-scepter.jpgdarksteel-reactor.jpg

The images I wanted to post from gatherer aren't allowed on this community, so if you can't see the big images from tappedout, look up Magistrate's Scepter and Darksteel Reactor on http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx .

I see the flavor of what you were trying to do, but if I wanted an extra turn engine, I wouldn't mind footing up an extra mana to essentially halve the time it would take to get there; if I wanted a 'win the game' engine, I wouldn't mind footing an extra mana to not have to pay mana to build up counters and I wouldn't mind having to wait more turns to help provide some extra safety for the win condition.

This is an 8/10 on flavor, but given both the above two cards and the large amount of mana used to power this thing, I'll have to give it a 2/10 on playability. It MIGHT (keyword: might) be good with Vorel and Doubling Sesaon, but then again, so are a lot of other, better things.

So, what are your suggestions? Do I reduce the cost for the activated charge ability?  Do I reduce the mana cost?

EDIT: Decided to do both.

Rift Clock

Mana Cost: {1}

Artifact

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on Rift Clock.

{T}: Put a charge counter on Rift Clock.

{T}, Remove six charge counters from Rift Clock: Take an extra turn after this one.

{T}, Remove twelve charge counters from Rift Clock: You win the game.

When this clock is done chiming, your time is up.

Wait, did it always have 'At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on this.'? If so, this is a bit fast, because, for one mana, you win on turn 7 given nobody destroys it.

While I did like the idea of decreasing the cost a bit, I didn't like the idea of decreasing it by this much.

I'd personally get rid of one of the sources of counters on it, probably the triggered ability. I'd probably make the activated ability cost 2 mana, since control decks often have little trouble leaving two mana open anyway.

Yes, it always had it; so, that means you didn't account for that in your previous review?

Correct; that was an oversight on my part. At that point, you've made an almost strictly better Magistrate's Scepter with additional win the game functionality, when not accounting for charge counter or untapping support. (And Vorel and Doubling Season will work similarly enough anyway). In which case, I disapprove of it for very different design reasons.

Archived