Rinne posts one song a day for discussion.

bury the year

Because there isn't just one person in this forum who wants to talk music. I'll find a new song each day, hopefully one that's not too common, and maybe blurb a bit about it. Don't know jack about music theory or anything fancy like our doge friend does, but I like to ramble, so that counts for something, right?

Starting tomorrow, but here are two songs I've found already that were posted in statuses.

Today's Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Ziw7YxvTo

08/14/15: Miriam Bryant - Dragon

08/13/15: Jon Hopkins ft. Purity Ring - Breathe this Air

08/12/15: funk citibank 

08/11/15: Crystal Castles - Baptism

08/10/15: Janelle Monae - Cold War

08/09/15: Forest Swords - Ljoss

08/08/15: James Blake and Bon Iver - Falls Creek Boys Choir

08/07/15: Jamie xx - Gosh

08/06/15: HANA - Avalanche (no writeup)

08/05/15: Lorn - Until There is No End (no writeup)

Odd... Her voice kind of ruined it for me. An instrumental would be awesome. The lyrics kind of make me not like it at all.

Really? I kinda liked the imbalance between it. I do believe her voice was tuned a bit too loudly, particularly when listening to it again on my iTunes copy. Don't notice it as much on YouTube, though.

08/07/15: Jamie XX - Gosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNssEVlB6M

Rinne's Thoughts: I grew to dislike much of what the xx produced as a band. Much of what was on Coexist (save for Angels) was incredibly boring to me: it lacked the spark that I found on their first album, and upon relistening to that recently, I found that spark had mostly died too. So it was a delightful suprise to find that Jamie xx's solo stuff was so much more energetic. The opener from his first solo album, Gosh is big. It doesn't seem to emenate as much as it does ascend, a sensation that reminds me a lot of that one scene from Up where the dude opens the roof of his house to unveil all those balloons. Gosh is the theme to a monument that hasn't been erected yet, and unlike with the xx, I hope to hear more of the same from Jamie.

I agree with you wholeheartedly with the xx. First album was quite lovely, but the second album (same, save for Angels) was a bit inert for me. Jamie xx's solo stuff is way more playful, much more vibrant, and obviously a huge love letter to the UK dance scene. It's also nice hearing his bandmates in new context on more busy tracks (Loud Places is easily my favourite track on his entire debut).

@Rai: Totally agree, although Gosh edges out Loud Places due to just how well he incorporated those samples. It’s a very UK-house album, though: Jamie made that certainly clear.

08/08/15: James Blake and Bon Iver - Falls Creek Boys Choir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aqKA_2UUy4

Rinne's Thoughts: What’s that old Reese’s Cup slogan again? “Two great tastes, that taste great together?” Whatever it may be to, the sentiment still applies; and much like eating too much candy will do, listening to this song will make you drowsy. It’s easy to see where the individual components came together: Bon Iver’s got a lock on the vocals, but his normally-poetic words are warped to something almost incomprehensible by the distortion, piano and scratching blips that I hear so often in Blake’s other stuff. It took me a while to write this one not only because Firefox crashed halfway through, but also because I almost fell asleep. Twice. However, glad I didn’t. There’s a slight tone of malice hiding underneath the prettiness halfway through: the synth line lurking under the surface twists it ever so slightly, giving a bit of bitter to the sweet.

i always liked James Blake but i never could get into Bon Iver, his stuff always bores me to death, though this was pretty decent with James Blakes signature style being applied, i dont really think i like this as much as other things that James Blake has done but it still holds up fine.

i always liked James Blake but i never could get into Bon Iver, his stuff always bores me to death, though this was pretty decent with James Blakes signature style being applied, i dont really think i like this as much as other things that James Blake has done but it still holds up fine.

Yeah, I can understand that. His music has a certain… languid? quality to it: you have to be in the right state of mind to sit through it. Blood Bank, Re:Stacks and Beth/Rest are my favorites, as at least I feel that they’re different from his other songs. More “epic” in scale.

08/09/15: Forest Swords - Ljoss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JEd4KWW5M

Rinne’s Thoughts: The entirety of Engravings, Forest Sword’s debut album, was recorded (aptly) in a forest near the English coast. I’m pretty sure Matthew Barnes, the man behind Swords, took some of that environment and folded it up all neat into his music, because Engravings is a trek through lands that are at turns both awe-inspiring and hostile. This is exemplified in the opening track, Ljoss. Ripples of synth drop immediately, with a distinctly Middle Eastern string section coming in soon after like sunlight dappling through the leaves. This is where we set off into Barnes’ dreamscape, but it’s not all sweet dreams. The distorted vocals hint at something more nightmarish to come, and as the next track drops - Thor’s Stone - we see how true that is.

RE: James Blake, I swear on my life, I am so hyped for his new album, it's silly.

Thanks for reminding me of Forest Swords though. One of those artists that I put on my "lemme go listen to that" list, especially because of that cool as hell album cover, but completely forgot. Right up my street. That tremolo oud thing that comes in at the very beginning is one of my probably one of my favourite things now.

@Rai: Wait, James Blake has a new album coming soon? Damn, I'm out of the loop. 0_0

08/10/15: Janelle Monáe - Cold War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4

Rinne’s Thoughts: So pissed I’m unable to go see her free concert series - c’mon girl, come to Boston! New York sucks. Anyways… I know I'm breaking my own rules by going for something relatively well-known, but this is the song that got me into Janelle Monae’s body of work, and it still remains among my favorites. Maybe it’s because here, she strips away all the retro-scifi Metropolis mythology present in her other songs and goes straight for the core of her music’s raison d'etre: racial issues in America will always be important. Her line “I was made to believe there something’s wrong with me” is very now and very painfully relevant, and her literal breakdown in the music video only emphasizes this. While the song may be relatively straightforward, its meaning is as clear as its anthemic beats: you need to pick a side for the big issues. An apathetic statement is just as destructive as any racist statement is.

Nobody likes our queen JM? <____>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStjmYxetY0

08/11/15: Crystal Castles - Baptism

Rinne’s Thoughts:
There are few ways to interpret this song other than what’s on the surface, given Alice Glass’ stated thoughts on religion. She’s said that "I have resentment for being forced to believe in something. I will always think of the church as an institution and not a comfort.” That anger against Christianity seems to gel perfectly with CC’s often-abrasive beats, with a stuttering beat pulsing beneath her vocals, distorted so high and acidic as to be virtually indecipherable through the synths. Alice’s lyrics are less conveyors of a message than they are merely another instrument, but it’s clear as to what song she’s singing here. This song is aggressive and confrontational, and with such a touchy meaning, there’s no other way to deliver it.

ive loved Crystal Castles for a long time and Baptism was one of the first songs i heard from them. love the abrasiveness and how well Alice Glass with her vocals go ontop of that abrasive instrumentation. i also like how she does her stances on religion, shes not making any narrow-minded claims against it or throwing some big pretentious anti-religion concept behind it, shes just voicing her own experience with it, its not a positive experience but she obviously does understand that her stances on religion are just from her experience which is why i actually dont mind the lyrics in this song.

Orrr just one. We'll call that day a "sanity check." I'll make up for it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPYnss1wMc

08/13/15: Jon Hopkins ft. Purity Ring - Breathe this Air

Rinne’s Thoughts: I’d post the music video, but it has a naked lady in it and we can't have boobs on here now can we. Jon Hopkins isn't exactly a small voice in the electronica world - he's coproduced an album with Brian Eno, and a song off his third studio album (Insides) was sampled by Coldplay for Chrissakes. However, I don’t seem to hear much about this guy, as he seems to work primarily in the background. His tracks reflect this, little masterpieces of ambient sound that either wash over you, or revolve like an uneven wagon wheel before falling off in an incredible drop. Breathe this Air was originally like this, but Purity Ring’s addition makes it something more than the sum of its parts. The Albertan duo seem to have injected their own skittering sensibilities into the piano-laden track, her voice falling like raindrops among the synths. While Hopkins’ music can easily be accused of being aimless and self-indulgent, two feelings that I felt while listening to Immunities, Megan James gives this particular song a much-needed kick in the pants.

I just assume that Rinne has like the exact same music taste as me. Janelle Monáe and her team are as close to sheer unadulterated genius as it comes in the industry.

On Jon Hopkins, I do like his more mellow stuff. His thing with King Creosote was lovely. And by extension any of the Asleep Versions stuff.

@Rai: Maybe... we're the same person? 0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Ziw7YxvTo

08/14/15: Miriam Bryant - Dragon

Rinne’s Thoughts: After extensively listening to all of Miriam Bryant’s discography and ruminating on it for a few hours, I have come to one solid and incontrovertible conclusion: she’s got a hell of a set of pipes. Seriously, what is it with Sweden and good pop? Bryant really first appeared on my radar in collaboration with Zedd (sidebar: I hate Zedd) on Find You, which popped up in that film Divergent. However, her solo work blows her collab out of the water. Taking away the heavy electronica and replacing it with crashing cymbals and drums gives Bryant’s voice the proper punch that it deserves. Although the lyrics falter at times, the emotion in her voice properly convey the scorn a lover neglected may feel: you can almost feel the smoke caressing your ears. This may not be her most impressive song, but Dragon is a sign of good things to come, and I hope that Miriam Bryant is able to put out even more good stuff in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeLVhU53ow

08/15/15: Jess Glynne - Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself

Rinne’s Thoughts: Britain seems to be hitting a new wave of soul in its pop music over the last few years. First Adele, then Sam Smith, and now this lovely lady. If you think you’ve heard her voice before, you’d be right: she contributed the vocals to Clean Bandit’s massively popular hit, Rather Be. When given solo time on stage, though, Jess’ voice shines even more. Her songs and lyrics are distinctly soul-inspired, with the hand claps and the piano in the opening verse sounding like they’re coming out of a Southern church warming up for the day. This, combined with the feel-good “believe in yourself!” message and the awesome marching band drum breakdown in the music video, has quickly put the song on the top of my rotation.

Archived