New Baroness Song

Calm Captain

Anyone else here into Baroness?

They have been one of my favorite metal bands to come out in the last few years. Their album "Blue Record" from 2009 is probably one of the best metal albums I have heard in a while.

Anyway they just released this track, so I thought I would post it. This track a bit of a departure from what they used to do, a big difference is the lack of screamed vocals. It's a very anthemic track, seeming almost like a straight rock song rather than metal, but with Baroness' usual sludgy guitar tone.

Thoughts?

i dont listen to them very much (i always felt that they were too much of an imitation of Mastodon) but theyre still a good band. not keen on this track, it sounds like Baroness are watering themselves down in the way that bands like Opeth and Cynic have.

I don't think we're Opeth territory quite yet (at least I hope we aren't). But I understand what you are saying, in fact that was a common complaint with their most recent album.

I think I will have to wait for the album to really decide. It could be that this song just happens to be a lighter song amongst harder ones, I don't think that's unheard of or anything.

But it does have me a bit worried. It seems like if they were heading back in to the harder more complex stuff, they would want to release a single that would reflect that; and maybe win back some fans that felt alienated by Yellow & Green's simpler approach.

I'm kind of conflicted on the Mastodon thing as well. It could be because I heard them before I heard Mastodon, but I tend to prefer Baroness in a lot of ways. There is a kind of dare I say catchiness to a lot of Baroness songs that keep me coming back to them, and that's something I don't get out of a lot of Mastodon's stuff. It's definitely undeniable that they owe a lot of their sound to Mastodon though.

I dig it. 

i dont listen to them very much (i always felt that they were too much of an imitation of Mastodon) but theyre still a good band. not keen on this track, it sounds like Baroness are watering themselves down in the way that bands like Opeth and Cynic have.

eeehhhhhh I don't know dude

Mastodon is my all time fave and I wouldn't say they're an imitation of them.  Similar, but still distinctly different. 

eeehhhhhh I don't know dude

Mastodon is my all time fave and I wouldn't say they're an imitation of them. Similar, but still distinctly different.

eh its been a while since i listened to Baroness so maybe im just exaggerating the comparison, but still.

I don't think we're Opeth territory quite yet (at least I hope we aren't). But I understand what you are saying, in fact that was a common complaint with their most recent album.

I think I will have to wait for the album to really decide. It could be that this song just happens to be a lighter song amongst harder ones, I don't think that's unheard of or anything.

But it does have me a bit worried. It seems like if they were heading back in to the harder more complex stuff, they would want to release a single that would reflect that; and maybe win back some fans that felt alienated by Yellow & Green's simpler approach.

I'm kind of conflicted on the Mastodon thing as well. It could be because I heard them before I heard Mastodon, but I tend to prefer Baroness in a lot of ways. There is a kind of dare I say catchiness to a lot of Baroness songs that keep me coming back to them, and that's something I don't get out of a lot of Mastodon's stuff. It's definitely undeniable that they owe a lot of their sound to Mastodon though.

well i never did listen to Yellow and Green. ive heard of bands that have released their softest song first but id say wait until the second single to release, if its heavier then id say its just the one song or its a mix between both sounds, if its another softer song then we could be at least be near "Opethifying" Baroness.

Baroness is one of the bands that I haven't minded getting lighter and softer (which they've actually been doing since the beginning as anyone who's heard their first two EPs can tell you). Yellow & Green is great, definitely much more accessible than their early work but it still has great guitar work, is very catchy and is still plenty heavy when it needs to be. "Eula" is one of their best songs. 

As for the new track, I dig it. I am also certain that it's a detour from the rest of the album, seeing as it's right in the middle of the tracklist and will most likely act as the centerpiece that the rest of the album revolves around.  

I also like Baroness more than Mastodon. 

upon listening to Red Album and Blue Record after a long time i can say that i was definitely exaggerating the Mastodon comparison, also the new track has grown onto me after giving it one more listen, i like the minor Mogwai vibes that i get from the non-sludgy parts.

Archived