[Writing Discussion] Whose Opinion is More Important, the Author's or the Reader's?

Aix

Your story sounds startlingly similar to this one author's I met on FFN. And yeah, I've noticed readers seem to love psychopath characters, for various reasons. Makes me wonder if that's becoming a bit overdone now.

...which author? Edit: This is hilarious now.

Yeah, the psychopathic protagonist, probably not unique to myself, did see a massive rise in popularity around that same time. Possibly a coincidence.

Don't wanna get into a long speech thing but I would like to say one thing quick.

I don't think anyone is implying someone else's interpretation supersedes the author's so not sure why that was mentioned a couple times.

I mean technically speaking the audience's interpretation is the only thing that matters. There are a wide variety of instances I can theorize and point to where the author's intent is impossible to learn or intentionally left unknown. There are zero instances of audience interpretation not being relevant.

The author's interpretation really has no meaning if the text doesnt support it.

Archived