Fate/infinity compendium [IC / / Accepting ]

Lunar Origins

rECCARK.png

"Pft, children."

Snickering at the trash-talking festivities happening before her, Tianzi prefers to sit down and smile as she watched each masters revealing themselves as a chain reaction from the bluehead's action earlier. Well...except one. One last person, sitting at one side of the table, still shrouded in complete darkness. That person, whoever it was, seemingly bode his time for now, waiting the ruckus to die down a bit before doing anything else.

And then, he suddenly rose up and spoke.

“You know, I preferred the shadows, but what with the circumstances…

I’m sure many of you would know me by name, or perhaps recognize my face, which is why I wanted to slink around for a while and come in later.  It seems my little ruse has been, for lack of a better term, compromised.

For the sake of introductions, my name is Thomas Garnier.  Some of you may know me as the Blind Alchemist of Hampton; I wouldn’t want my reputation to deter you from participating in this war, but as the Master of Rider I ensure you that this Holy Grail that you are all so fond of is as good as mine.”

"Ooh, interesting." Half-boredly, Tianzi replied to his grand reveal. She of course was aware of that name. A failure of an alchemist that couldn't even do one thing properly. A man who's as blinded mentally as he was physically - a man hiding behind his reputation and infamy. Doing fruitless and meaningless atrocities as desperate attempts to heal his eyesight, someone like him was pitiable. And irritating.

Clearly so.

Although, Tianzi had to hold herself from laughing out loud when the serial killer said that she's an unimpressive magus. It seemed that her clan line's utter unremarkableness was more infamous than she expected. That, or he's just trying to look impressive by looking down on others.

“Will you funking stop?”

The eastern magus smiled as the bluehead rose up and seemingly finding something within her to speak up as daringly as she did. Talking down the blind greentexting jerk, Tianzi was pretty amused by her. She might not be the biggest threat around, but for some reasons, getting her back into the game was something that Tianzi liked. Perhaps she's liking the challenge, or maybe she's just impressed by her.

"Archer...archer...that gave a bad ring for me. This really won't be easy, isn't it?" Guan Yu, bless his soul, mentioned that the bluehead's servant had a complication going with it earlier. Perhaps that's something to be aware of. A mess-up in summoning might be a blessing too after all, although for now Tianzi chose to believe Bailey's boast as merely hot air.

And without her being able to comment further on things, Guan Yu ended the meeting, and she abruptly returned to her body. She saw Caster was not too far away from her.

Deciding that she'd tell him a part of her new plan, she went ahead and called him.

"Caster, change of plans. Some unforeseen development had happened."

Z6CJXxu.png

"Well...this probably would be worse than what I expected at first."

Returning to his body after the meeting, Silvio pondered momentarily regarding what had happened during the meeting. Everyone actually revealing themselves was a boon, and with his having access to the biggest information network possible on-demand, that's a card that he could play. However...the identities of the participating master bugs him. Well, specifically Garnier. As an infamously dangerous magus, he was definitely one of the most troublesome individual of the war.

"Ugh..."

Silvio still tried to figure out a strategy of his own, but he's a bit too mentally tired still. Seeing no other options for now, he decided that preparing his own workshop as starters would be the best course of action to do. Although, before that...

"Berserker, I know you don't really appreciate me calling out on you like this, but we should talk again.

After this I guess it'll be up to you how you wished to play out this war."

NedqMSy.png

"D-did you get all of that?"

"You looked like a mess. But enough about that for now.

After thinking about this carefully last night, perhaps I should start properly mentoring you regarding being a fit and proper magus for this conflict.

Like it or not, you're far from ready. Even if I am not summoned as a Caster...ugh...there's that, yeah. If you have any objections or any other plans for now, better inform me firsthand."

gCJTXvy.png

The man who invented the instant noodles should be referred to as a God. The fact that there are not countless holidays and parades in honor of this man's service is proof that civilization has truly gone to the wolves. Needless to say there were not any late not restaurants open. So they went to some kind of convenience store and bought a litany of microwaveable dishes and foods. To think that rations would come together and be packaged so conveniently was amazing. After eating his weight in instant noodles Berserker was actually satiated for the night. 

The next day he awoken to find himself hearing voices inside his head. It didn't take him long to realize that this had something to do with this Holy Grail War. While the information was coming in an out Berserker could tell that these Master's were actually quiet young. One of them even sounded like they were a child. At the time he was lost in concentration the outward expression on his face became more and more sullen. This was simply distasteful and it insulted the art of war. 

When it was finished Berserker awaited his master's call and went to his master's side. 

"Berserker, I know you don't really appreciate me calling out on you like this, but we should talk again.

After this I guess it'll be up to you how you wished to play out this war."

What an interesting choice of words that this man used. To allow Berserker a chance to handle operations was definitely the wisest move, but with all of these new rules and whatnot he would have to explain some things. First thing, let us not call this a war. War is a clash of ideals, nations, men and purpose. Not a collection of children who are using others as their toys. This is not war this is some form of tournament play with children. Berserker's tone was unnaturally stern and the red lightning crackled in his eyes. After two seconds of thought though he looked up to the air. Though, I find it very perplexing. It seems that I have the most rational Master and you've ended up with Berserker as your servant. I can see why you may have been annoyed with having to summon me. Since I cannot have an army and you seem to be out resourced by royal families what we need to have a base of operations. Berserker stroked his chin and proceeded to let out a cheap chuckle. We need a map of this town/battleground. Right now since you are somewhat of a nobody we do have a slight advantage. 

As anticipated, the representatives of the other great families taunted her in kind.  This was nothing new; the Blackmoores Hultgrens, and Arguses had met before.  There was always a certain amount of time set aside for taunting each other before the purpose of a meeting was proposed.  Her parents had brought her along to such events before, and it seemed that the scions had all taken after their parents quite nicely.  Of course the Argus girl followed quite closely after her father, insinuating that something about her line was lowborn.  Really, it was quite amusing to be on the receiving end of as many taunts as the others seemed intent on breaking out.  She ignored Morgan's question, as Guan Yu stated that the meeting was nearing its end.  Indeed her gambit proved fruitful, as the last master revealed himself and she was spared having to do so.

Thomas Garnier.  He was the epitome of the reasons the Blackmoores were so strict in policing their own.  His experiments were barbaric in the ultimate meaning of the word, and worst of all he was far from subtle.  Leaving bodies laying around Edinburgh, performing his research in locations where the public could easily catch wind of it, and most damning of all even targeting members of the church.  Her family did not have the best of relations with them it was true, but they maintained at the very least a form of nonaggression pact with them and their mage-hunters.  Garnier though, he was a disgrace to the very association he had been thrown out of.  He was hardly deserving of the magic circuits that ran through his body.

All the same, Alexandra managed to avoid speaking out again.  She had done and said enough at this meeting so far, and there was little point in doing or saying more.  However, a plan was already forming in her head.  Without a doubt, Garnier was the biggest threat to her at the table.  He would have to be eliminated, and quickly at that.  Though she was confident in her own abilities, as well as Assassin's, she only calculated a 62% chance of victory over Garnier.  That was not high enough, and the best way to assure victory was to form an alliance of sorts.

The meeting concluded while she was lost in thought, returning to the head of the table at which she sat.  Immediately she set to work, carving a summoning sigil on the table with one hand while she flipped to the appropriate page in one of her Grimoires.  She smiled as she found it, and nodded her head as she incanted.

"Let the vessels be emptied

may their contents pool in my hand.

Let the contents be bound to me

and subjected to my will.

Come forth, forgotten ones,

I have need of you."

The sigil came alight almost instantly, and before her a pair of ghostly figures formed above the table.  Their bodies were wrapped in robes seemingly of darkness, and each carried a scroll in its skeletal left hand.  The scrolls were presented to her, and she raised a hand to them.  Her palm glowed, and as she spoke the words appeared on the paper.

"To the representatives of Argus and Hultgren,

In light of today's events, and the revelation of the master of Rider, I have decided that it would be beneficial for the lot of us to form a temporary truce.  The terms of the truce are:

1) So long as the ex-magus Thomas Garnier lives, those bound by this contract shall not act against one another.

2) Those bound by this contract shall engage in the sharing of information with each other, relating to his activities.

3) Those bound by this contract shall prioritize Thomas Garnier and his servant above all other targets.

4) Those bound by this contract shall not engage Thomas Garnier in combat individually.

5) Those bound by this contract shall respond with aid to one another if they should come under attack, until the terms of this contract are fulfilled.

6) Those bound by this contract shall engage in bi-weekly meetings, either in person or by way of scrying, until the terms of this contract are fulfilled.

7) Those bound by this contract shall meet, in person, before 24 hours have passed since the time of the contract's signing to discuss additional terms to be added.

8) Those found to be in violation of the terms of this contract shall be pursued until their death by the wraiths who have delivered it.

If these terms are agreeable to you, there is a place below where you may make your signature.  The location of the meeting to discuss the terms shall be the Little Italy Restaurant at 311 West 6th Avenue, Crystalwater City, CA.  Whether the meeting is to be at Lunch or Dinner is subject to the preference of the Argus and Hultgren Masters.  Please be prompt in your reply.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Elizabeth Blackmoore."

As she finished speaking, each scroll produced a single long line near the base of the page where the recipients could place their signature if they so wished.  The wraiths rolled up the scrolls, bowed their heads, and immediately departed from the mansion to find and deliver the item to the masters they had been addressed to.  Letting out a sigh, she returned her attention to the grimoires in front of her.  There was so much to do, and so very little time to do it.  Now she could not even begin planning properly until she knew whether the others would agree to the contract or not.  All the same, she returned to looking through her tomes in search of the spells and rituals she had not memorized.  Dealing with Garnier would not be easy, but it was certainly doable.

As Tianzi returned and addressed the armored form, the man stood up and turned to her.  He quickly bowed his head, and then spoke in a voice that was quite obviously not Caster's.

"My apologies, Mistress, but the Master has left to run some errands in preparation for the coming battles.  By his orders, I am to remain close at hand to you and act as your shield and your sword.  In the event of a confrontation with another pair of Master and Servant, I am to act in his stead.  I do hope you will find my service satisfactory."  The man smiled behind his visor, quite impressed by his Master's ability to plan and act ahead of what was expected.  He raised his head, and waited for the woman before him to relay the message that she had for Caster.

Caster himself was in a grocery store on the up-scale end of town.  The day had already been a busy one for him, and it showed no signs of getting any less so over its course.  He had already taken care of the issues of needing his own currency to make purchases which were not traceable to his mistress, and now he was gathering things.  Herbs, spices, the offal of various creatures, and of course blood.  While he would have preferred to work with human blood, that was not something which he could readily or easily gather.  Instead, he purchased several pints of pig's blood.  While the items he was gathering may have seemed unusual to the average person, most in this day and age simply assumed he was a man with unique tastes in his food.  So very few recognized the magical applications of Nutmeg, the role that Saffron played in certain rituals, or the importance of cloves in potions.  It was no small wonder to him that he was able to acquire so many reagents in the same country, let alone the same city and market!  They were not even on the coast, and he had nearly every herb and spice from across the world at his disposal!

Of course he had not been so foolish to go in his armor without disguising its appearance.  His boots had taken on the appearance of fine leather shoes, his armor that of a dark business suit, and his cloak a tie.  His sword and shield had become rings upon his fingers, and his helm had become a hat he found to be popular in the modern era.  While this left his face exposed, he was still protected by its enchantments.  He certainly had quite the handsome appearance and a wonderful smile, but he was easily forgettable as well.  None who looked upon him were able to recall his face.

While his mistress was in her meeting with the masters, he was in a coffee shop drinking a mug of tea and reading through the black leather-bound journal that his grimoire was disguised as.  He nodded every so often as he came to the various spells and rituals which required material components, satisfied that he had found most of what he needed to work them.  He hardly stood out at all, and now he needed only to wait for his mistress to call him back.  In the mean time, he pondered where in the city he could acquire the knuckle bones of a wolf.  Even in this day and age, it seemed there were some things that could not be easily acquired.

yLKXTmi.png'%5D

The blue-haired magus responded in kind to the wise, short girl.  "You're right, Archer.  I'm not ready."

Bailey - or, rather, Tabitha - stood there for a moment, contemplating her position.  Alexandra was sure to use Tabitha's own bravado to the best of her ability, but the fact of the matter was that Tabitha wasn't fit for this war at all.  Even with her newfound pride in her heritage, coming from the illustrious Blackmoore line after all, her magic ability was far under that of a normal magus - let alone comparing her to a servant.

She waved goodbye to her servant, walking off towards the bathroom.  She had been sweating in her sleep, and she smelled.  No doubt caused by the stress of the situation.

She stripped her clothing, setting them aside on the bathroom counter.  Her body was smooth and lithe, and well toned from a good amount of heavy exercise.  Beauty seemed to be a standard she held close to her heart - vanity was an actor's best friend, after all.  She turned on the bathwater and sat on the side of the tub.

"Really shouldn't have gotten into this," she lamented under her breath.

With a flick of her wrist near her hair and an incantation that couldn't possibly be conveyed here, her hair changed from a light blue to a dark black.  As a Blackmoore, her natural hair color was indeed a midnight black, but she preferred to go out of her way to make her appearance as striking as possible.

No more of that, though.  She was a Blackmoore, now.  Or, rather, she always was.  She was always taught to be ashamed of her magical heritage but that entire world of wonders had always fascinated her.  What was magic, she thought?  How did it work?  How could she, a regular person, perform miracles such as changing her hair color?

She slipped into the warm bath she had made, soaking her hair.  She internally shrugged.  It's just how the world works, she guessed.  There's no sense in explaining things that you can't understand.

She soaked in the bath for a good amount of time before climbing out and drying herself.  It took her about an hour to do both her hair and her makeup; it was a meticulous process that she'd neglected to do for the last few weeks, but if she was finally going to be serious about the Holy Grail War, then she had to look the part as well.

gqOrNev.png

The young woman stepped out of her bathroom in a new set of clothing and walked towards Alexandra's room.  She was ready to present herself as a new person to her cousin; perhaps the surprise would please her, or perhaps not.  All Tabitha wanted to do was be useful in the damn war, and, at the very least, make a name for herself.  Perhaps that reason above all.

She poked her head in the room, noticing Alexandra enacting a summoning ritual.  She stepped back out for a moment.

A hand was placed on her shoulder.  She turned around quickly, wide-eyed and panicked.

VbwOSa9.png

Assassin's smile spread across his face like a Cheshire grin.  "You're fairly easy to sneak up on," he said in a mocking tone.

Tabitha, still gathering herself in recovery, simply glared at him.  Assassin.  Alexandra's servant.  Of course.  "funk you."

Assassin, still rather pleased with himself, shrugged.  "Be my guest," he said, before walking off.

Tabitha was fuming.  Alexandra's servant was a funking jabroni.  He was almost as bad as Alexandra was on her bad days, and, well, that was saying something.  Sighing deeply, Tabitha proceeded into Alexandra's room, noting that she was searching amongst her belongings.

"Hey, um..."  Tabitha stammered a little bit.  She still wasn't used to interacting with Alexandra on terms that were, suffice to say, pleasant.  She was hoping that her appearance would help things out and help Alexandra take her a little bit more seriously, but...

"Do you need any help?  It seems like we've got a lot to do."

"...Oh.  And your servant?  He's an jabroni."

Z6CJXxu.png

Not a war, he said? Not a clash of ideals? That’s laughable.

When his servant started to talk, the former Association teacher started to frown in displeasure. As much as Silvio was deeply annoyed by what Berserker just said however, he had to admit that Berserker’s view on the nature of war itself intrigued him. No…it was more like…his words were actually something that he’d agree on. As disconnected as he was with his Servant, for once Silvio could feel that there might be some link between the two of them, something that could actually have two men with opposing approach into working together.

“Snrk, perhaps.

I’ll go get you a map. Just wait for a bit while I get it.” It seemed that he had done his own research without Silvio’s knowledge. To know about the presence of the three big families already was quite impressive. Silvio already knew that his resources are minimal to none compared to the other families, though that’s really not a reason to fret about things. His general unremarkableness was his strongest asset aside from his vast information network, and with him not being likely to be targeted to be taken out firsthand, he’d have time to plan about things.

Though…that also reminds him of something.

“Before I get you a map, I think there’s something I need to address first. You’re right that I’m not really keen on working with you, and I believe you share that sentiment with me, but we still need to maintain communication properly.

So I figure out that I’ll teach you some things regarding the modern era technology a bit. It’s a way of communication that magi rarely used due to their nature, and they’re safer than familiars due to this.”

Great, now I really am going to teach a feudal warlord on how to use a smartphone. This is ridiculous.

rECCARK.png

At the sight of the man before her, Tianzi instinctively extended her right hand towards him, and started chanting as a magic circle formed on her palm. Yet once more, nothing really happened. That irked her somewhat, but that’s something that she should soon figure out anyway. Caster seemingly was able to summon lesser heroic spirits to be his follower, if what she could assume from the magical signature of the man before her was correct. That was definitely something interesting, and will definitely be useful in the future, perhaps even allowing her plan to go smoother than her own original draft of it. He even shared the armor with Caster too, something that would definitely be vital.

“Very well. First of all, please remind Caster that the enemy had placed their familiars all over the city. He might already be aware of it, but I am not going to take any risk here.

Secondly…is it possible for you to change your outfit? The hunting game is about to start, and it’s time for us to pinpoint the position of the ones being hunted. The best protection possible is not being notable, after all.”

She decided at the last second not to tell him about her plan. It’s something that she’d rather tell her Servant directly, and even then she’s still not in the position to trust her servant just yet. Granted, the plan still needed some preparation, but in two days, she’s confident that she’d be able to finish the preparation necessary. 

She then smiled at the substitute before her.

“Now, if you agreed to go with me, then I’ll show you where these doors lead to.”

gCJTXvy.png

So I figure out that I’ll teach you some things regarding the modern era technology a bit. It’s a way of communication that magi rarely used due to their nature, and they’re safer than familiars due to this.”

Half an hour later

So after about 10 minutes of the basics Berserker was thrown into the infinite space of despair known as the internet. What savage creature invented...this? He was lost in the infinite world of funny cat pictures, card games and "social media." Why is this woman being violated by an octopus? He mumbled out loud. The world needed to be set right again. However once he got past the low points of cyber space he realized that this was an excellent communication tool. Hmmm a vast assortment of knowledge, theory and wisdom at your finger tips and you all want to use magic? He asked his master. What's the point of wasting mana on "familiars" when you can simply use this thing for free? It was simple for Berserker to simply use the country's census page to actually find out a little bit of the opposing masters. That is if they were counted in the census anyway. Berserker found himself quite liking this "smart phone" technology.

This is quite amusing, curious have weapons gotten this advanced as well? He waited for a second for the answer was not of the greatest import. Seeing as he was not allowed to amass an army to make use of them anyway. When he just thought about how undermanned he was in this "war" he realized that he needed to put into motion immediately. He started to poke the smart phone feverishly (he did not pick up to typing with his thumbs). He eventually saw the map of the neighborhood that he was currently in and smirked. He looked at his master with a devilish grin. How close are you with your neighbors? Would we be able to go  and visit their houses?

"To the representatives of Argus and Hultgren,

In light of today's events, and the revelation of the master of Rider, I have decided that it would be beneficial for the lot of us to form a temporary truce.  The terms of the truce are:

1) So long as the ex-magus Thomas Garnier lives, those bound by this contract shall not act against one another.

2) Those bound by this contract shall engage in the sharing of information with each other, relating to his activities.

3) Those bound by this contract shall prioritize Thomas Garnier and his servant above all other targets.

4) Those bound by this contract shall not engage Thomas Garnier in combat individually.

5) Those bound by this contract shall respond with aid to one another if they should come under attack, until the terms of this contract are fulfilled.

6) Those bound by this contract shall engage in bi-weekly meetings, either in person or by way of scrying, until the terms of this contract are fulfilled.

7) Those bound by this contract shall meet, in person, before 24 hours have passed since the time of the contract's signing to discuss additional terms to be added.

8) Those found to be in violation of the terms of this contract shall be pursued until their death by the wraiths who have delivered it.

If these terms are agreeable to you, there is a place below where you may make your signature.  The location of the meeting to discuss the terms shall be the Little Italy Restaurant at 311 West 6th Avenue, Crystalwater City, CA.  Whether the meeting is to be at Lunch or Dinner is subject to the preference of the Argus and Hultgren Masters.  Please be prompt in your reply.

Sincerely,

Morgan scowled at the note. Upon first glance the Geis seemed harmless enough, however Morgan trusted Alexandra about as much as he could throw her. He was not the only person mentioned in the contract, and loathe as he was to rely on her, Morgan knew at this moment it was in his best interest to contact the nameless Argus Master.

“Ah, but how to contact her…” Morgan chewed down on his lip. Sending a familiar would take far too long, he didn’t want to chance the Argus Master replying to Alexandra before he could get to her. “Hm… well there’s certainly that… yes I suppose the scrying pool will work well enough.”

From his room on the second floor Morgan descended to one of the few parts of the basement that wasn’t occupied by his older sister’s laboratory. The small room contained a shallow, but wide pool that covered much of the room’s floor, and a large mirror on the far wall.

Morgan kicked off his shoes at the pools edge, before stepping into the cool waist deep water and making his way over to the mirror on the other side of the room. Extending his hand Morgan touched the tips of his fingers to the mirror allowing mana to flow from himself into the mirror causing it to ripple. Normally to perform this Morgan would have used a personal item of the person he was attempting to contact, unfortunately he had no such thing in this scenario, so he would just have to visualize the Argus Master’s appearance, and hope she had some sort of way to scry.

“Ugh… this is going to suck…” Morgan sighed pouring more mana into the mirror visualizing the face of the Argus Master, and focusing on the mana of the Argus Manor. This was going to require all of his concentration.

“Ah, finally,” Morgan said the image of a dusty room coming into view, “well this looks like it hasn’t been used in quite a while… hello?”

At first, there was only silence, but then a response came in the form of a distorted, mechanical voice. As it came, the image itself seemed to warp, showing what appeared to be a featureless doll.

“Greetings. You are addressing the heir of the Argus Family. I presume that this is Morgan Lucian Hultgren, the still-alive representative of the Hultgrens?”

Really, this was only a perception precaution taken by the Argus to hide any information, however small. Even though they’d seen each other during the meeting between Masters, and the person being addressed had in fact been the first one to willingly reveal herself, it was still a bit of a risk to let her true appearance be exposed too much.

“There is only one reason that you would be contacting me so quickly after the meeting, and it must be regarding the truce that Alexandra Elizabeth Blackmoore has sent. I myself am...at odds...with this. While on one hand, Garnier is indeed…a very huge threat, on the other hand, this contract may simply be taking advantage of his presence to trick us into quick defeats. The Three Great Families will do whatever it takes to eliminate the others.”

The feminine doll tilted her head. In the background, a ticking noise like that of a grandfather clock could be heard.

“Still, truces can indeed be beneficial. I do not trust you, and you do not trust me, but let us look over the details of this together so that we can confirm whether or not Alexandra truly desires a joint operation against the Blind Alchemist.”

“Ah…” Morgan sighed, “how terrible that you would hide her face from me still… oh well I suppose you’re correct I am rather one of the more untrustworthy Masters, you however…” Morgan tilted his head a look of genuine childish curiosity betraying his age, “you are much more difficult to puzzle out… ah, but we are not here to discuss you are we?” Morgan produced the Alexandra’s Geis again looking over its contents.

“The Geis itself, and what is stated in it is not the problem, persay…” Morgan stared at the document contemplatively, “it is what is not stated within the Geis that troubles me. Alexandra and the other Blackmoore woman, Tabitha, are not bound by this contract. You are correct in saying this truce is beneficial, however, it is only beneficial if Alexandra truly intends to help us, and by the looks of this, they may full well mean to betray us. However I may be missing something, your thoughts?”  His demeanor from the meeting earlier seemed to have totally changed. The young man no longer seemed to have the same malicious aura from the meeting, his very presence seemed to have changed.

“Personally, I would find them to be even less trustworthy than the Hultgren, considering their...proficiency at death, so it is possible that the contract is designed purely to eliminate us early. I originally expected there to be a twisting in words hidden within the contract. Perhaps regarding the fourth part, it would immobilize us from responding to an attack from him, though I have since come to the belief that it is broad enough to let us retaliate without breaking the contract.” While the Argus Master would occasionally pause, thinking on her own words, if there was any other emotion or tone in her voice that might’ve seemed unusual or unprofessional, it was masked by the mechanical distortion that made it barely recognizable.

“We of the Three Great Families are obligated to uphold the code of magi, if nothing more, and even a necromantic family cannot hope to defy the very laws that sustain them. Not to mention, no matter how powerful Miss Blackmoore is, she cannot possibly be so arrogant as to expect she can defeat Garnier on her own if she takes us out of the picture. So long as Miss Blackmoore appears with us to sign the contract, all should be well.”

Another pause. This time, it was much longer than the other ones.

“Although, there is one concern I have. In the ninth section of the contract, it details how those who violate it shall be pursued to their deaths by summoned wraiths. Now I admittedly know little about this area of magic, but from what I know, these are unstoppable, yet infamously uncontrollable entities from the underworld, capable of killing whomever they touch. Repulsing the living world, the very act of using one would normally be forbidden. Under ordinary circumstances, there would be no reason to doubt that she must be very desperate, considering how the usage of such things is itself suicide. However...”

Then the girl, appearing as a clockwork doll through the mirror, shared her worries.

“What if the Blackmoores have a countermeasure against them, so that in the event she violates the contract, she will be exempt from the punishment? Perhaps they will give her special treatment due to her family specialty, or perhaps her dark arts have advanced so much as to let her control them, even slightly. Should we decide to gather, I want a guarantee that the wraiths would end her as much as they would us.”

“Ah, good thinking… I believe that we should postpone our signing of the document until we have met with Ms. Blackmoore, and witnessed her sign her own Geis, this way we may ensure that no foul play is involved.  In any case I believe we have concluded our meeting, unless you have any more concluding thoughts…” Morgan gave a long pause in case the young woman wished to add anything further, after she did not Morgan continued. “Thank you for your insight today, your wisdom has been much appreciated,” Morgan said standing and giving respectful bow, “well then I suppose I shall see you for dinner then, until then I bid you farewell Madame of the Argus.” With that final statement Morgan cut off the mana flowing into the mirror, effectively ending the correspondence, and exited the scrying pool room.

As Morgan walked through the halls of the Hultgren Manor the squishing sound of his wet tights announced his presence long before he ever did. Making his way back to his room Morgan wondered where his Servant was at the moment. Ah, but he should probably send word to Alexandra first, it was probably best not to anger her too much. Using his magical weaving Morgan formed the shape of a small bird on his hand.

"To Alexandra Blackmoore, I, Morgan L. Hultgren, have elected to agree to your alliance in defeating the Master of Rider, Thomas Garnier," Morgan spoke to the bird before letting it fly through one of the windows of the mansion that would hopefully make it's way to Alexandra's Manor. 

yx4NAu3.png

Things had happened in a chain of events.

First the meeting between the Masters concluded, the identity of Rider turning out to be, of all people, the Blind Alchemist. Then, since she now knew about Alexandra's familiars, she was quick to have the manor locate and destroy them all via its inner defense system, though as the possibility remained that a few survived, she retreated into the main living room and upgraded the Perception Distortion filters. As soon as she had done so, she received a suspicious contract requesting an alliance, from the exact same person, almost as if it were a warning. Moments afterwards, she was contacted by the Master of Hultgren via scrying, who wanted advice on the aforementioned contract.

Once everything had been settled, Glauce sat down on one of the chairs, trying to stop herself from shaking. For some reason, she felt extremely exhausted, her body even sweating despite having had physically done little. Mentally, it seemed like she had pushed herself too much, and it seemed like she had a bit of a throbbing headache - after all, this was the very first time she had ever talked in such a manner, and while she'd been able to hide it, maintaining her image adequately like a robot, a part of her had been absolutely terrified all the way through. Taking deep breaths, the maid magus tried to calm herself, since the last thing she wanted was for the hero she summoned, Lancer, to see her in such a sorry state.

Now that she thought about it, neither of them had said much to each other since the summoning. She made him tell her a little about what he knew of the Holy Grail War, about the level of his power, and about the contract that made her his Master. Perhaps he didn't approach her because he felt no need to, and as for her, she just felt, well, awkward about it. After all, this was a famous man who had come from many centuries ago, so she figured that she couldn't just approach him in a casual manner. There had to be some sort of formality about it, right? Right?

"Now then..."

No doubt that Blackmoore woman was waiting for a response. She had already shared her thoughts with Morgan and made her decision, so all that was left to do was answer. Glauce got back up, observing her surroundings as she did so. It was merely on habit, since there was no need to wonder where everything was. Each and every detail of the large building had been burned into her mind over the past two decades, never to be forgotten, and every last thing had been accounted for.

The exterior of the Argus Manor appeared ancient, and its interior even more so, not only because many of the rooms had gathered dust after weeks of disuse, but also due to the Victorian structure and furniture, considering how the late 1800s were when the Argus were at their peak. The Greek-themed decorations that could be found adorned on every wall and table only served to improve the image of a family that had existed for a very, very long time, its bloodline enduring without losing focus of its goals. But of course, this was only on the surface. Even by a mere glance, any decent magus could tell the sheer power of the mystery that had gathered here after millennia, the ridiculous amount of energy and defenses it had.

The manor itself was filled to the brim with countless mystical defenses which had gained layer after layer over time. To begin with, it was surrounded by a Bounded Field that lowered the strength of anyone who entered, whose energy signature it did not recognize, which it did by forcefully dampening mana in the air. Within was an automated system which responded to hostility by bombarding them with deadly mana-based bullets, increasing in density the closer the target comes, and should the target near the walls, self-automated transmutation would temporarily convert any part it approaches from granite to titanium.

Even should the residency be breached, there were orb-shaped attack drones planted into the walls, explosives hidden beneath all the floors, a secondary Bounded Field that distorted the perception of all intruders, and various other minor traps scattered about, all solely to prepare for the worst-case scenario. Most deadly of all, it contained pretty much the entire history of top-grade Argus Mystic Code artifacts, the trump cards that had been personally designed by each Argus Head and kept in storage for the future generations, which could potentially be operated by the current Argus Head. This amount of defenses was only to be expected from such a renowned family, especially when participating in a war with six other expert magi and one-man-army Heroic Spirits.

Wordlessly, Glauce made her way over to the walls and pressed her hand against it. As she channelled mana into it, it responded immediately as one of the drones appeared to seamlessly emerge from the wall, as if it were made of water. The drone was orblike, made of transmutated bronze and hovering high above the ground, appearing to have no gaps or anything in its structure. This one had no attack mode, its sole function being to find its target, and morph into parchment as soon as it did so.

"To Alexandra Blackmoore, the representative of the Blackmoore Family,

I, the Magus of the Argus Family, have considered your terms and have elected to agree to your alliance against the infamous Thomas Garnier, Master of Rider. However, I have two conditions, and I will not sign the contract until they are met.

Firstly, you must present proof that the wraiths detailed in the eighth section are beyond the control of the Blackmoore and will not grant you special treatment.

And secondly... You must present your Servant, Assassin, to all the other participants in the contract, so that we may inspect its stats and know that this is not a mere assassination attempt.

Until these conditions are met, I will not sign the contract."

As she spoke, the sound of a small typewriter could be heard, a letter being formed from her words within the drone. The second condition had been one she hadn't told Morgan about - in the event that Alexandra decided it was too much and refused, Morgan might still remember her words and, with that line of thought, decide to find out about Assassin. And if the boy succeeded, that would be one more advantage over herself. On the other hand, if he didn't think about it, his chances of getting assassinated were higher - which was a good thing. It was a bit unlikely, but one never knew.

Once Glauce had finished, it immediately went back into the wall, before reappearing outside of the manor - from there, it shot across the skies, making its way to Alexandra the same way the Hultgren familiar was.

"Do you need any help?  It seems like you've got a lot to do.  ...Oh.  And your servant?  He's an a******."  Bailey's was actually a welcome interruption for the moment, though before she could say anything she noticed that the girl had altered the color of her hair.  It was such a startling change that she had to pause and consider its meaning for a moment.

"So, what do I call you now?  Bailey or Tabitha?"  She questioned, raising an eyebrow before she returned her attention to the summoning circle before her.  There was more that she wanted to do, but she needed to know some things first.  "Regardless, your arrival is timely.  I need to let you in on my plan."  She shifted about in her chair so that her gaze rested directly on her cousin, taking a moment to consider her fully.  She certainly had the potential to be a great mage, though her passionate nature would make necromancy a difficult school to teach her.  Controlling the dead required steely concentration, and absolute control over one's emotions.  She was far from certain that Tabitha had either of those, and less so that she would grow into them.  She would be a difficult student indeed...

"I have sent invitations for the Hultgren and Argus masters to join us for dinner tonight at the Little Italy Restaurant.  I'm sure you're familiar with the place.  Additionally, I have sent them the first draft of a contract forming an alliance between us.  An alliance focused on the destruction of Thomas Garnier."  She paused as a duo of familiars entered the room and presented themselves to her.  The first was a bird which delivered the reply from Morgan Hultgren.

"To Alexandra Blackmoore, I, Morgan L. Hultgren, have agreed to your alliance in defeating Thomas Garnier."  Well, that was certainly unexpected.  She suspected that Morgan would have put up more resistance than that.  However, the transmuting orb that was the response from Glauce Argus held a more expected reply.

"To Alexandra Blackmoore, the representative of the Blackmoore Family.

I, the Magus of the Argus Family, have considered your terms and have elected to agree to your alliance against Thomas Garnier, Master of Rider.  However, I have two conditions, and I will not sign the contract until they are met.

Firstly, you must present proof that the wraiths detailed in the eighth section are beyond the control of the Blackmoore and will not grant you special treatment.

And secondly you must present your Servant, Assassin, to all other participants in the contract, so that we may inspect its stats and know that this is not a mere assassination attempt.

Until these conditions are met, I will not sign the contract."  It seemed that the little girl had learned much from her parents.  Oh, the Argus were every so very difficult in their dealings with the Blackmoores.  Alexandra let out a chuckle as she set down the parchment, and laid her hand on the summoning circle once again.

"It seems that they have agreed to the meeting.  Now, come here Tabitha.  I want you to see what I do next, and examine it closely so that you may learn from it."  She waited until the girl had come closer, and looked at the sigil.  Only then did she pour mana into it, and once more conjure up her spectral servants.  Each held another scroll, this one smaller than the first, and words appeared on them each as she spoke.

"To Glauce Argus," she began, pointing to the spirit on her left.  "To Morgan L. Hultgren," she stated, turning her finger to the spirit on her right.  Each showed her the scrolls, and she verified that they were addressed to the correct recipient.  "I am pleased to hear that you have accepted my invitation.  We will meet at Little Italy Restaurant, the address of which was previously detailed, tonight.  Dinner will be served at precisely 7:30 PM local time.  Formal dress befitting your station is suggested, and you are each welcome, and encouraged, to bring an escort."  With the words finished, she snapped her fingers and the spirits sped off to deliver this message to the masters while she turned her attention back to Tabitha.

"The summoning and manipulation of spirits can be taxing, but given that they are immaterial it is possible for them to pass through many barriers which would hold off physical familiars.  I would suggest you invest some time into managing to summon one, after more properly preparing your workshop.  In any case, we will be meeting them for dinner tonight."  A cruel smile crossed her face as she lit the summoning circle with her mana once again, and a third spectre appeared holding a third scroll.  "Them and another guest."  She giggled, before turning back to the spirit and speaking once more.  

"To Thomas Garnier, Blind Alchemist of Hampton.  

I would appreciate your presence at dinner this evening.  If you choose to accept this invitation, we will meet at Little Italy Restaurant at 311 West 6th Avenue, Crystalwater City, CA.  Dinner will be served at precisely 9:30 PM local time.  Please dress for a formal event.

Sincerely,

With a snap of her fingers, this spectre too flew out of the house to find the recipient of its message.  Smiling, she looked over to her cousin and raised an eyebrow.

"Care to guess my plan?  It will be much more fun if you do."

"The Master has instructed me to listen to you and relay anything you wish to say to him upon his return.  He also wished me to assure you that he knows the enemies have placed familiars throughout the city, and has taken the appropriate precautions to avoid detection as anything more than a mage unfortunate enough to be in this city at this time."  The knight bowed his head, and answered the second thing that the mistress had said to him.  When he raised his head this time, his attire was replaced with a plain pair of blue jeans, fine leather Cowboy Boots, a bright pink and red plaid button-up shirt which was tucked into his jeans, a leather belt with an over-sized buckle, and a "ten gallon" stetson hat to round his attire off.  His face was handsome indeed, framed by bright blonde hair, but forgettable enough that the moment Tianzi looked away from it she could not accurately recall his features.

"By your will, Mistress." He stated plainly, preparing to remember what he was shown so that he could relay it to Caster at the appropriate time.  He suspected that she was hiding something from him, but that was no matter.  His master would likely learn what she was keeping from him sooner or later.

Archived