Counter Fairies #StairwaytoMETA

BatMed

[spoiler=Main Deck]

[spoiler=Shining Angel of Perdition]
shining_angel_of_perdition_by_batmed-d8u

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 Level 8 DARK Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, during either players turn, if a Chain involving a Counter Trap Card(s) finishes resolving; you can immediately Special Summon 1 Level 4 Fairy-type monster from your hand or Graveyard. You can only control 1 "Shining Angel of Perdition".

[spoiler=Herald of the Sacred Scales]

herald_of_the_sacred_scales_by_batmed-d8

Once per turn, during either players turn, if a Chain involving a Counter Trap Card(s) finishes resolving; you can immediately Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If Summoned this way: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that target cannot attack this turn. You can only control 1 "Herald of the Sacred Scales”.

[spoiler=Nemesis, Darklord of Vengeance]
nemesis__darklord_of_vengeance_by_batmed

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can reveal 1 Counter Trap Card in your hand; this turn, you can Normal Summon 1 Fairy-Type monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 Level 8 DARK or LIGHT Fairy or Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 “Nemesis, Darklord of Vengeance” effect per turn.

[spoiler=Xyzs]

[spoiler=High Queen of Justice]

high_queen_of_justice_by_batmed-d8v7otu.

2 Level 4 Fairy-Type monsters
During the End Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, activate 1 of these effects. You can only use this effect of “High Queen of Justice” once per turn.
● Add 1 Counter Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.
● Add 1 Fairy-Type  monster with 1700 or less DEF from your Deck to your hand.

[spoiler=Israfel, Archlord of Judgement]
israfel__archlord_of_judgement_by_batmed

2 Level 8 monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: Add 1 “The Sanctuary in the Sky” from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Special Summon 1 Level 4 Fairy-Type monster with 1700 or less DEF from your Deck in face-up Defense position or add 1 Level 8 Fairy-Type monster with 1700 or less DEF from your Deck to your hand. During the End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Material: You can banish this face-up card and 2 Counter Trap Cards from your Graveyard; banish all monsters on the field.

[spoiler=Sanctuary in the Sky]

the_high_court_in_the_sky_by_batmed-d8xs

(This card's name is always treated as "The Sancturay in the Sky".)
During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your Normal Draw: You can discard 1 Fairy-Type monster, and if you do, Set 1 Counter Trap Card directly from your Deck. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; you can add LIGHT 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

[spoiler=Counter Traps]

[spoiler=Precept of the Master Fairy]

precept_of_the_master_fairy_by_batmed-d8

When a Monster Effect is activated: Negate that effect. After this effect resolves: You can reveal 1 Fairy-Type monster in your hand, target 1 face-up monster on the field; until the End Phase, that target's effects are negated.

[spoiler=Unlawful Tribute]

unlawful_tribute_by_batmed-d8xt0vd.png

When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s) during their Main Phase: You can Reveal 1 Fairy-Type monster in your hand; banish that monster(s) until the end of your next turn.

[spoiler=Sacred Breeze]

sacred_breeze_by_batmed-d8xudgz.png

When your opponent draws or adds a card(s) to their hand outside of their Draw Phase: You can reveal 1 Fairy-Type monster in your hand or target 1 Fairy-Type monster in your Graveyard or that you control; add 1 Fairy-Type monster from your Deck with 1700 or less DEF whose Level is equal to the Level of that monster.

[spoiler=Good Supports]

[spoiler=Archlord's Messenger - By Darkness]

archlord_s_messenger_by_batmed-d92cek2.p

When this card is destroyed (by battle or by card effect); you can Special Summon 1 LIGHT Fairy-Type monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Deck. If this card is banished; you can Special Summon 1 LIGHT Fairy-Type monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Deck. You must control a face-up “The Sanctuary in the Sky” to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only use 1 effect of“Archlord’s Messenger” per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Solar Champion]

solar_champion_by_batmed-d75qfhp.png

If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. While this Special Summoned card is face-up on the field while you control no other face-up cards, you can activate this effect.
● You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower non-Tuner LIGHT monster from your Graveyard. Its effects are negated, and it is banished during the End Phase. Monster(s) Special Summoned by this effect cannot be used as an Xyz Material monster(s). You can only use this effect of “Solar Champion” once per turn and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Aniass, the Archlord's Champion]

aniass__the_archlords_champion_by_batmed

If you control only face-up Fairy-type monster(s): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot attack during the turn it is Special Summoned. Fairy-type monsters you control gains 400 ATK and DEF during Damage Calculation only. Once per turn, you can target 1 Fairy-type monster you control; this card’s Level becomes the same as that target Level until the End Phase. This card cannot be used as an Xyz or Synchro Material Monster except for the Xyz or Synchro summon of a LIGHT monster.

[spoiler=Solaris, Dragon Ruler of Genesis - By Supah-Nisso]

YP1zFNk.png

Once per turn: You can banish 1 LIGHT monster from your Graveyard; this card's Level becomes that monster's Level until the End Phase. You can only control 1 "Dragon Ruler" monster. You can only activate 1 of the following effect of "Solaris, Dragon Ruler of Genesis" once per turn:

● If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can Tribute 2 LIGHT monsters from your hand or that you control, except this card; Special Summon this card.
● You can discard this card and 1 LIGHT monster to target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.

[spoiler=Van'Silvius the Light Dragon Lord - By Noel]

van_silvius_the_light_dragon_lord_by_bat

You can banish 2 Counter Trap Cards from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard). Once per turn: You can shuffle up to 2 Counter Trap Cards from your Graveyard into the deck; draw 1 card and reveal it. If it was a Counter Trap Card, draw an additional card. If it was a Fairy-Type monster, you can Special Summon it. Otherwise, discard 1 card.

[spoiler=Hyperion, Infected Master of Entropy]

hyperion__infected_master_of_entropy_by_

2 Level 8 Fairy-type monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 Field Spell card on the field; destroy that target, and if you do: This card gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a Special Summoned monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; banish that monster.

[spoiler=Apollo, Archlord of Supremacy]

apollo__archlord_of_supremacy_by_batmed-

2 Level 8 LIGHT monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned; Negate the effects of all face-up non Fairy-type monsters on the field. This card is unaffected by your opponent’s monsters effects. You must control “The Sanctuary in the Sky” to resolve this effect. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Special Summon 1 of your banished Fairy-type monsters.

So the main problem with most of Fairy Monsters is that all of them are trying to activate when the chain resolves, all being mandatory, they would mistime from other effects trying to activate at the same time. I thought about adding "You can" after the semicolon, and change the "When a Chain..." to "If a Chain...". That should help with that problem, BUT I want them to be mistimed so that they would be balanced, cause I don't know their real potentials, yet with all those Fairy-Generic-Supports we have, thoughts ? (CnC would be appreciated)

ok so.

the counter traps listed here, none of them are actually that good. but the field spell is pretty strong because you can set Divine Punishment from your deck every time. I mean it costs you the draw and an extra card but Divine Punishment is basically Solemn Judgment, Sanctuary is kinda garbage and this isn't, etc. THIS IS FINE THOUGH (reasons below)

oh yeah Nemesis searches Dark Armed Dragon. I would play this card in random decks just to search Dark Armed Dragon. could be something to fix.

counter fairies as a deck is questionable because generally Counter Traps are mildly specific? and none of them are that strong - we only have one indiscriminately strong one, and that's Solemn Warning. I mean there's decent stuff but nothing that's amazing; and you need to have your advantage fairies out to generate advantage otherwise they kind of just fall over. so consistency is a pretty huge issue and that's unlikely to be resolved any time soon because the design of the deck is such that you're supposed to run Traps ... which ruins consistency.

they're cute when they get off the ground though.

ok so.

the counter traps listed here, none of them are actually that good. but the field spell is pretty strong because you can set Divine Punishment from your deck every time. I mean it costs you the draw and an extra card but Divine Punishment is basically Solemn Judgment, Sanctuary is kinda garbage and this isn't, etc. THIS IS FINE THOUGH (reasons below)

oh yeah Nemesis searches Dark Armed Dragon. I would play this card in random decks just to search Dark Armed Dragon. could be something to fix.

counter fairies as a deck is questionable because generally Counter Traps are mildly specific? and none of them are that strong - we only have one indiscriminately strong one, and that's Solemn Warning. I mean there's decent stuff but nothing that's amazing; and you need to have your advantage fairies out to generate advantage otherwise they kind of just fall over. so consistency is a pretty huge issue and that's unlikely to be resolved any time soon because the design of the deck is such that you're supposed to run Traps ... which ruins consistency.

they're cute when they get off the ground though.

DAD TwT I hate that card >< Gonna fix Nemesis cause it also lists Wyrm monsters (I thought Noel's Van'Dragon was a Wyrm, my bad)

anywho, I must agree that relying only on Counter Traps ruin the Deck consistency, so I thought about some special counterT supports, which you can discard them and/or banish them from Grave for an effect, and treat those effects activation as if the Counter Trap card itself was activated (thoughts ?)

... and maybe adding "You can" after the semicolon, and change the "When a Chain..." to "If a Chain...", to solve the mistiming problem, won't hurt.

Nah, that wouldn't help.

The Counter Trap Fairy deck is a flawed concept. In a small tournament it might be able to have a decent showing, but in a big tournament ... what do you do? What if you brick and don't get any Fairies that actually do something to get you more cards? What if some guy just flips Royal Decree and disables half your deck? While your opponent plays cards that might get them more cards, Counter Traps are reactive and thus don't net you advantage period. They're also not generally flexible in terms of activation timing like BTH and Compulsory and even Fiendish Chain. Additionally the reason you run a large Trap lineup is to lock down your opponent from actually doing -anything- period, but you need to have a powerful advantage engine to back this up. Counter Fairies don't have much of an advantage engine that stands on their own though, it's contingent on you managing to flip a Counter Trap while the stars are aligned, unlike for example Burning Abyss, where you just dump a bunch of cards into the Graveyard to get more cards - or even an older example like Machina Gadgets, where you just get more cards per card by NSing every turn.

So it's just too complicated and mildly situational to work consistently. It's a cute concept though. If I were to play a Counter Fairy deck I'd probably just run generic good Counter Traps like Warning, Magic Drain, Divine Punishment, et cetera. (Maybe even bad cards like Dark Bribe just because you need to? Divine Wrath is alright too, better than Bribe at least.)

Honestly the biggest thing about counter fairies to me is how TERRIBLE it would feel for your opponent if Counter Fairies were ever good. 
Trying to do anything leads to your play being stopped, and then your opponent getting free cards. It's just about the biggest "funk you" you can get. Playing YGO, leads to you losing cards while your opponent gets more. 

DAD TwT I hate that card >< Gonna fix Nemesis cause it also lists Wyrm monsters (I thought Noel's Van'Dragon was a Wyrm, my bad)

anywho, I must agree that relying only on Counter Traps ruin the Deck consistency, so I thought about some special counterT supports, which you can discard them and/or banish them from Grave for an effect, and treat those effects activation as if the Counter Trap card itself was activated (thoughts ?)

... and maybe adding "You can" after the semicolon, and change the "When a Chain..." to "If a Chain...", to solve the mistiming problem, won't hurt.

Solve the mistiming problem, and tbh the whole thing is cute, tho they lack consistency

however I kinda like that idea, lemme tell you why:

What if some guy just flips Royal Decree and disables half your deck?

- While your opponent plays cards that might get them more cards, Counter Traps are reactive and thus don't net you advantage period.

- They're also not generally flexible in terms of activation timing like BTH and Compulsory and even Fiendish Chain.

Additionally the reason you run a large Trap lineup is to lock down your opponent from actually doing -anything- period, but you need to have a powerful advantage engine to back this up.

Honestly the biggest thing about counter fairies to me is how TERRIBLE it would feel for your opponent if Counter Fairies were ever good. 

Trying to do anything leads to your play being stopped, and then your opponent getting free cards. It's just about the biggest "f*** you" you can get. Playing YGO, leads to you losing cards while your opponent gets more.

MSE Bait/Hand Trap Counters can beat the s*** out of this deck (in a good way), your opp activates royal decree, screw him, cause you can also use your trap effs in your hand/grave (try not to make crazy effects, we don't want you to end up with an OP-Reckless AntiMeta)

e.g.  

**Counter Trap: (not the best I suppose, but I guess you already got this)
You can only use 1 "?" effect per turn and only once that turn.
① During either Player's turn: You can discard this card and reveal 1 Fairy-Type monster in your hand; add 1 Level 4 or 8 Fairy-Type monster with 1700 or less from your Deck to your hand.
② When a monster would be Summoned: Negate that Summon and banish that monster until the End Phase.
③ You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 Level 4 LIGHT Fairy-Type monster with 1700 or less DEF from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position, but it is banished during the End Phase.

You can also give them other flexible effects, like BTH and chain: (also try not to make them generic) 

③ During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, if you control a Fairy-Type monster: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; put this card face-up in your S/T Zone and equip it with that target (rest of fiendish chain effect)

That way, counter fairies can be ROTAble, you can also give them protection / other pop options (rather than Voltanis). Now you're also searching your own cards and playing your game instead of only reacting to your opponent. Yet the risk of getting a dead hand (or being an Anti-Meta b****) is gone.

tho a change must be done: Instead of chaning your fairy's effects to "when a counter traps is activated", change it to "when a Counter Trap card's effect is activated" instead, so that they can activate their effects when the hand-Trap/MST-bait Counters effect are activated.

I couldn't agree more tbh, tho tee old Counter Fairies (+boss cards) only activate their effects when a Counter Trap Card is activated TwT

that's why I thought about treating the MSE Bait and hand Trap effects' activation as if the card itself was activated

I couldn't agree more tbh, tho tee old Counter Fairies (+boss cards) only activate their effects when a Counter Trap Card is activated TwT

that's why I thought about treating the MSE Bait and hand Trap effects' activation as if the card itself was activated

Effect's activation = card activation is an iffy/weird concept (ruling-wise) and it gonna lead to some serious s*** imo.

which reminds me, I think that the old Counter Fairy-Supports are gonna make this deck one big-b**** (in case you're using 'Effect activate = card activate' thing) cause they have hilarious effects: With your current Fairy-Support and the upcoming Special-CountersT, you will end up with Artemis being a b****y Pot Of Greed and Meltiel being a Raigeki+HarpieFeather

also BOSS cards ARE BOSS Cards, so this summarize everything I suppose

EDIT: I would also suggest you to make a card that stuff your grave with CounterT since they're having MSE-Bait effects, also because of Harvest

(Goddamit kid, look at all those dots)

Effect's activation = card activation is an iffy/weird concept (ruling-wise) and it gonna lead to some serious s*** imo.

which reminds me, I think that the old Counter Fairy-Supports are gonna make this deck one big-b**** (in case you're using 'Effect activate = card activate' thing) cause they have hilarious effects: With your current Fairy-Support and the upcoming Special-CountersT, you will end up with Artemis being a b****y Pot Of Greed and Meltiel being a Raigeki+HarpieFeather

also BOSS cards ARE BOSS Cards, so this summarize everything I suppose

EDIT: I would also suggest you to make a card that stuff your grave with CounterT since they're having MSE-Bait effects, also because of Harvest

(Goddamit kid, look at all those dots)

I see, I will try them as you are suggesting (stop swearing :/)

The things the guy suggests are not actually good ideas ... for the health of the game.

See, there's another thing about Counter Traps. They're typically much stronger than conventional hand Traps because they actually disable entire turns if activated at the right time. Why anyone would want to have "MST-bait and hand-traps" to activate Counter Trap effects is beyond me; MST trades 141 for anything already, and hand traps that activate a Counter Trap elsewhere is a questionable concept at best (it could work but a lot of the time it really doesn't).

I quote BtanH.

Trying to do anything leads to your play being stopped, and then your opponent getting free cards. It's just about the biggest "f*** you" you can get. Playing YGO, leads to you losing cards while your opponent gets more.

I don't recommend it, but you could try it out. Given how even some casual floodgates like Skill Drain are banned on DP ... :v

To be honest the best solution I see would just be making a bunch of Counter Traps not targeted at negating something in particular. Have them give half a card or equivalent but be able to be activated most of the time, and then maybe you can actually play the game.

To be honest the best solution I see would just be making a bunch of Counter Traps not targeted at negating something in particular. Have them give half a card or equivalent but be able to be activated most of the time, and then maybe you can actually play the game.

I hope it's easy as it sounds, so I will try your suggestion first

Something like Negate Attack is something that doesn't have to be a Counter Trap but is. Maybe you could try things like Half a Divine Wrath (When a Monster Effect is activated: Negate that effect) or Weird Jar of Greed (When your opponent draws a card: Draw a card). You would have to test stuff of course, and slight additional effects are not bad.

Something like Negate Attack is something that doesn't have to be a Counter Trap but is. Maybe you could try things like Half a Divine Wrath (When a Monster Effect is activated: Negate that effect) or Weird Jar of Greed (When your opponent draws a card: Draw a card). You would have to test stuff of course, and slight additional effects are not bad.

Counter Traps are updated ^^

Now I'm gonna fix Counter Fairies misting flaw and remove DAD ROTA from Nemesis

I would move the search from Precept to Breeze, and make it conditional on opponent adding a card or drawing outside the draw phase; as +1ing on half a card makes it really really strong but the Jar of Greed is like counterbalancing their +1 with yours, you know? You can add a secondary effect to Precept but you need to make sure it doesn't +1 unless the condition is very harsh.

Also I would word the second one a bit differently, and maybe just make it "When your opponent SSes a monster(s) during their MP: You can banish it until the end of your next turn." or something like that, the PSCT is not all there. I would just take out the draw phase skip thing and have the card be a lot tamer, since you already have Divine Punishment and Warning. Maybe also have this card require a reveal of a Fairy from your hand to just to make it not so meme-worthy.

I would move the search from Precept to Breeze, and make it conditional on opponent adding a card or drawing outside the draw phase; as +1ing on half a card makes it really really strong but the Jar of Greed is like counterbalancing their +1 with yours, you know? You can add a secondary effect to Precept but you need to make sure it doesn't +1 unless the condition is very harsh.

Also I would word the second one a bit differently, and maybe just make it "When your opponent SSes a monster(s) during their MP: You can banish it until the end of your next turn." or something like that, the PSCT is not all there. I would just take out the draw phase skip thing and have the card be a lot tamer, since you already have Divine Punishment and Warning. Maybe also have this card require a reveal of a Fairy from your hand to just to make it not so meme-worthy.

Updated as suggested ^^

also High Ruler Updated

Archived