Need Some Feedback

Dad

Didn't feel like this belonged in general, tbh.

So, I'm being presented with the opportunity to work for AC Nielsen.  For those of you who don't know, they are a data collection company working mostly in television and broadcasting.  I would be on the ticket end of IT, working from home forty percent of the time.  But my issue is that, I wouldn't be home.   The location is in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  Nailing the first interview over the phone would present me with the opportunity to take the second in person.  Being from the N.O., that's a long ways north.  While I don't particularly mind relocating, there's a lot I have to consider.  

PROS:

• The pay is thirty five grand a year.  For twenty-three year old me, that's great pay.
  • They offer health insurance benefits, dental, and vision.
  • They can pay for me to go back to school.  I was actually about to take out a student loan in the upcoming months to go to school for culinary anyway.  If I can get in without coming out of pocket, I would be a lot better off in the long run.
  • I have a place to stay with a very dear friend of mine.  He is actually in with Nielsen and I have an even better chance of getting in because of him.
  • I don't need much in the way of prerequisites.  In fact, with a customer service background in my pocket, I fit right in at Nielsen.
  • It's a fresh start.  Life in Louisiana has not been the best for me.  I've been shot at, I've been attacked for my skin color, and I've been denied because of who I am.  No one in Wisconsin has seen me before.  Ever.  I feel like that could give me a real breather.
  • I would be able to send my mother money she needs to get things together for herself.  Right now, I am struggling to find a steady job in New Orleans, and it's not working out.
  • Taking my passion for culinary arts and bringing southern foods to the north could make a killing.  What Wisconsin know bout Gumbo?

CONS:

• My family is in Louisiana.  I lost my grandmother earlier this year and moving to Wisconsin would mean my mother is totally alone (not including my aunts and uncles, but she would be staying by herself).  Granted she has an alarm system, and all of that jazz, but for some reason this scares me.  I feel like this move might be too much for my mom and I don't want her to hurt anymore.
  • I am deathly afraid of flying.  I know its one of the safest ways to travel, but I also have a fear of heights.  Those two don't mix in well.
  • I would probably lose some friends.  Not in the sense that we wouldn't be cool anymore, but growing up with these cats and suddenly being a couple thousand miles away will be hard for me.

Minus the sentimental values, the only thing really keeping me in Louisiana is my family.  Mostly my mother, brother, and sister.  I've always been afraid to try new things, especially something as big as this, but I am honestly slowly inching towards moving out to Green Bay and taking this job.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  The reason I'm considering it so heavily is because of how confident I am in my interview capabilities.

Seems like a really huge opportunity right there. I suggest to not hesitate and take it. Your concerns are understandable, but don't let your fears (to heights, leaving your family, etc.) hold you back; also, I believe that, ideally, one should leave home and make a living on their own eventually, so why not start as soon as possible? Besides, it seems it has more pros than cons, so it can only bring more good things to your life. And even in the case it doesn't work out well, you can always go back to home, but don't let this chance go away without trying your best.

Seems like a really huge opportunity right there. I suggest to not hesitate and take it. Your concerns are understandable, but don't let your fears (to heights, leaving your family, etc.) hold you back; also, I believe that, ideally, one should leave home and make a living on their own eventually, so why not start as soon as possible? Besides, it seems it has more pros than cons, so it can only bring more good things to your life. And even in the case it doesn't work out well, you can always go back to home, but don't let this chance go away without trying your best.

Thanks.  I really appreciate your insight.

I... Have to agree with Voltex. I understand being away from the family is concerning, I really do. I'm still afraid of when I leave my family for higher school education / other things. But... That sounds like one amazing opportunity you have there. I feel like this is something that if you don't at least try to take, you'll end up regretting.

You can always head back home, like Voltex said, but this kind of opportunity doesn't really come around that often.

Archived