Chihayafuru

Shradow

35749l.jpg

Chihaya Ayase is a frank and ebullient girl who becomes fascinated by the obscure world of competitive karuta, a card game based on Japanese poetry. Introduced to the aggressive style of the game by a quiet and thoughtful elementary school classmate named Arata Wataya, the two quickly become close friends. They start playing as a group with Taichi Mashima, Chihaya's smart and athletic childhood friend, until they have to part ways during their middle school years due to several circumstances. As their high school life begins, they meet once again.

I just finished season 1 of this show and it's great, I ended up binging on the last 8 episodes or so. I really love sports anime, and this is absolutely one. Since it's josei, there's also a bit of drama and romance which I really like as well. Once again I find myself really interested in the sport portrayed in the anime, but karuta's way too hard for me to get into, realistically. TT.TT

The show's got good comedy, but they finally went and broke the fourth wall in S2E7:

Chihaya: "Swiftness is more about the intensity, right? What about frenzy?"

Kana: "We're in the second season and she still doesn't realize what the title means?!"

XD

Archived