Blueblood: The Imperial Divide

Aix

The nature of this fiction is a lot different from the actual Blueblood roleplay, which will be a grand space opera while this is a character-focused piece. It takes place about one hundred years before the start of the roleplay itself, but will have great pertinence to the events of the Blueblood as it features several important background characters. Note that I have changed the world of Blueblood a bit, so ignore the details of the original roleplay as they will be different in the new one.

This is merely an exercise on characterization and worldbuilding. Some details of the Blueblood world may change before I finalize the details of the actual roleplay, which then I will either just classify this as non-canon or edit it and notify you all of the details that changed.

[spoiler=Prologue (863 words)]It all fell into place. Loki Karsten fell back onto his bed with his eyes wide open in the darkness. The air suddenly felt suffocating, the walls started closing in. Wait, he was starting to panic, but he quickly grasped his heaving chest and calmed himself with slow breaths.

His heart jumped again as a door opened in the hallway. "Hm? Loki? Were you still awake?" came his father's voice.

No, it wasn't his father's voice. That wasn't his father. That was someone else. No, he was still his father, wasn't he? He still counted as his father. No, no, he didn't. He didn't count.

"Loki, answer!" came his father's voice again. There was no fooling those sharp elven ears. He heard a child's footsteps running back to his room.

"I'm going to sleep now!" Loki cried back.

There was a pause, and then a sigh, then the sound of a door closing. With sharp ears of his own, Loki heard his "father's" voice again, softer. "I think he heard."

Loki continued staring frightenedly at the ceiling.

Suddenly, there was blue-white sunlight streaming through his window, leaving Loki wondering when he had fallen asleep at all.

"I'm sorry, Loki. The master has asked me to wake you and ready you for breakfast."

In his daze, it took him a moment to register who was talking—the maid, Lisette. Loki pulled himself up to look at that beautiful, familiar smile of hers. She had a face that wouldn't lose to any supermodel. It was, after all, molded by the best cosmeticians of the capital. They even used surgery on her ears to make them long, slim, and pointed like that of the Alfar.

Loki forced himself to smile back at her. She had taken care of him ever since he was baby, but Loki had a sudden haunting thought that she wouldn't care about him at all if she hadn't been paid so handsomely. People tend to form bonds when they spend so much time together, right? But what if she had secretly hated him from the bottom of her heart this whole time? He knew there were many humans that didn't like the Alfar.

No, it wasn't possible. Lisette wasn't like those people. After all, she wouldn't choose this job if she hated the Alfar. Loki just had a feeling. He believed in her.

Today, Loki managed to successfully land down from the fifth stair. He heard the scared cry of Lisette behind him, but she shouldn't worry so much. He knew what he was doing. He always knew what he was doing. He knew better than even the other Alfar children. It wasn't cocky, it was true.

"I'm the best!" he cried.

"My, my, what's gotten into you today, Lo—young master?" Lisette suddenly corrected her address, while Loki slowly turned to face his father walking into the hall.

"You should stop fooling around, you're five already," said Friedrich Karsten. He was dressed formally today, with a dark velvet tailcoat suit. Creasing his eyebrows, he walked over and straightened Loki's clothes dishevelled by the leap. Then, to Loki's surprise, he lifted his hand and—after a moment's hesitation—lightly ruffled Loki's hair, before combing it out again with his long fingers. "Come along now, Loki. You're meeting some important people today."

All of Loki's confidence disappeared again.

There were three unfamiliar faces sitting in the terrace. His mother was there as well, and he started towards her before he felt his father's stiff grip on his shoulder.

"Thank you for waiting, gentlemen," said Friedrich. "I would like to present you my son, Loki. He is five and three months today."

"He looks like a fine and well-mannered young man, Mr. Karsten," commented one of them. He was a kind-looking Alf with long brown hair and sharp green eyes. His long ears drooped slightly and he looked very relaxed in his seat compared to the other two.

The man was lying. Loki knew the man must have heard them inside the house and caught Loki about to run to his mother. Suddenly, Loki felt ashamed of himself for acting like a child. Meanwhile, the brown-haired Alf smiled at him before speaking again.

"It is my pleasure to meet you, Loki. My name is Audun Holmstrom," he said. "These gentlemen to the left and right of me are Boris Janson and Gilbert Kappel. We are from the Ministry of Education... or more specifically, the Council of Imperial Succession."

Loki felt very nervous. These were important men, even a five-year-old like him knew that. Why did these men want to meet him? The first possibility that came to mind was... just too impossible. So what other possibilities existed?

"As a boy of your intelligence may guess, we are here to consider you as a candidate for the next Emperor," said Audun. He stood up and walked over. Yet before he got too close, he crouched down and looked in Loki's eyes. "The blood of the God Emperor, Odin Alfadir, runs through your veins, child, from your mother, Princess Brunhilde Alfadir Karsten. Your high breeding and natural intellect makes you a prime choice for... the supreme ruler of the galaxy."

Archived