Steelswarm Main + Evilswarm Support

Sluggaholic

Heyo, as a fan of the Duel Terminal Series, especially the villain archetypes, I've been trying out some more decks besides Worms and Ally of Genex as of late. I made this deck right here of my own volition, through a fair bit of deck testing, but before I try buying the cards in this deck, I want to know if there are any ways to improve it? Mind you, I only really want to run main deck Evilswarms as support cards for my main deck Steelswarms.

"Metaswarms (Steelswarms)"

[spoiler=Deck]

3o9TzdH.png

And here, people, are the cards themselves. Ignore the side-deck, unless there's a card in there you can clearly see and you think should be part of my deck.

Deck List:

Monsters: 18

Steelswarm Cell x3

Steelswarm Caller x2

Steelswarm Girastag x2

Evilswarm Castor x2

Armageddon Knight x2

Steelswarm Scout x1

Steelswarm Moth x1

Steelswarm Mantis x1

Steelswarm Sting x1

Evilswarm Mandragora x1

Evilswarm KEKrykeion x1

Gorz, Emissary of Darkness x1

Spells: x13

Infestation Pandemic x2

Recurring Nightmare x2

The Monarchs Stormforth x2

Mystical Space Typhoon x2

First Step Towards Infestation x1

Card Advance x1

Raigeki x1

Foolish Burial x1

Book of Moon x1

Traps: x9

Infestation Ripples x2

Infestation Infection x2

Mirror Force x2

Infestation Tool x1

Bottomless Trap Hole x1

Solemn Warning x1

Extra Deck: x15

Evilswarm Exciton Knight x1

Evilswarm Bahamut x1

Evilswarm Ophion x2

Evilswarm Ouroboros x1

Steelswarm Roach x1

Castel, Skyblaster Musketeer x1

Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon x1

Number 101: Silent Honor Ark x1

Abyss Dweller x1

Daigusto Emeral x1

Gagaga Cowbow x1

Number 103: Ragnazero

Cairngorgon, Antiluminescent Knight

Slacker Magician

- - - - -

Any ideas on how to make this deck better / more consistent?

I'm glad to see somebody else thought of the same thing. The lswarms are my favorite archetype(s) from DT, and combining both Steelswarms and Evilswarms into one deck and making it work was something I worked on for a while last year. I'm happy to say I got it to work quite well, so here are my thoughts on what needs to be changed.

-1 Scout) I like the little guy and he's decent in a Pure Steelswarm build, but he's absolutely useless to use in an lswarm deck. Special Summoning him cuts off your Special Summons for the turn, so our good friend Ophion and every other thing special summons or needs to be special summoned will just sit around doing nothing.

-3 Steelswarm Cell) Your goal in this kind of deck should be to maintain your field presence with Ophion and then cleaning up whatever he doesn't block off with your Steelswarms and other Xyz. Since you'll typically have at least 1 monster on the field, Cell won't be able to be special summoned. I do run 1 copy of Steelswarm Cell in my deck though, but he's typically dead mid to late game. Still, there have been a couple of situations where topdecking him was nice; he's fuel for Bahamut's effect, fuel for Infection, and can of course be Special Summoned if you do happen to have no monsters on board and a Level 5 or higher Steelswarm in hand.

-2 Armageddon Knight) I don't really see much use to him, but to be fair I can imagine a neat little combo that involves summoning him, dumping Caller or another Level 4 (or lower) Steelswarm and then using Infestation Ripples to bring it back for a Rank 4 play. In that case, 2 copies MIGHT be okay, but I'd run him at 1 to be safe.

-1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness) Unneeded and pretty much useless since you'll almost always have backrow and Ophion or another R4 on board.

-2 Recurring Nightmare) Awesome in a Pure Steelswarm build, but not so great in a lswarm deck. You could try running it at 1 to see how it works out, but since you'll be needing your Graveyard for Kerykeion and Ripples plays, you might not want to reduce the number of monsters in it.

These are the main problem cards I see in your deck. There are a few other cards I find questionable, but can also technically be useful in some ways. I'll mention those later. For now I'll list the stuff you should add in.

+1 Steelswarm Caller) This guy is one of the most useful monsters in this deck. An ideal hand includes him and Castor to overlay into Ophion, then search out an Infestation card from your deck (Ripples, Infection, Pandemic, etc) by detaching Caller. If you had or chose Ripples, you can activate during the end of your opponent's turn to go into another R4 play during your turn, or Tribute it for one of your bigger Steelswarms if you have one in hand. Hopefully you'll have another Castor in hand if that's the case, because then you can summon it, Tribute Summon your Steelswarm (like Moth, love this guy) and STILL get Caller's Special Summon.

+1-2 Steelswarm Sting) A monster with good attack and a decent effect, he's also a target for Steelswarm Caller's tributed ability.

+1 Evilswarm Castor) Lswarms want and NEED a full playset of Castor due to how easy he makes your R4 plays.

+2 Evilswarm Kerykeion) Another card you absolutely want the full set of, Kerykeion is one of your best cards to have once the Graveyard's been set up properly. He can make 3 mat Rank 4 plays or give you another free Tribute Summon provided you've already had a Steelswarm on the field.

+1-2 Evilswarm Mandragora) She's a free summon if you have fewer monsters than the opponent, and she can be Special Summoned multiple times if you still have less than them after that. Makes Rank 4 plays easier, just like Castor.

+1 Steelswarm Moth) Moth is love, Moth is life. Trust me on this.

+1 Evilswarm Ophion) He's one of our main cards, and sadly gets wrecked a lot more than we'd like nowadays.

+1 Evilswarm Bahamut) This one is up to you. I run 2, but only really ever summon 1 in a duel if I do. I dunno, I just like this card.

+1 Infestation Pandemic) It's searchable Forbidden Lance with no drawback, why are you not running three of this :p?

+1 Infestation Ripples) It can brick your hand early game if you've got no Steelswarms in the Graveyard, so 2 isn't really a bad idea. Still, having the extra copy to use can seriously come in handy, and you'll have a better chance of drawing it so that you won't need to waster your Ophion search on it.

+2-3 Reinforcement of the Army) You might as well rename this to "Reinforcement of the Castor". I use 2 since I've almost always drawn into a Castor early game, so 3 got kind of dead. You can go ahead and use 3 if you plan on keeping Armageddon Knight though.

Other cards you can consider are Steelswarm Longhorn, Fiendish Chain, Constellarknight Ptolemaus, Cyber Dragon Nova, Cancer Dragon Stage Infinity, and Heartlandraco (he can swing over anything for game if your opponent's LPs are low enough), and Dragon Bind.

Review your deck and determine what you need or want to cut. An Evilswarm and Steelswarm hybrid deck can work wonders when executed properly, but is pretty fragile due to its tendency to brick. I've more or less given you my build here (which I know I shouldn't do), but you're at full liberty to cut and/or add any cards you want if you feel they might make your deck better... or if you just like a certain card.

Thanks for the suggestions man, I'll be doing some testing later on with your suggestions and I'll see how it matches up, even though I was making this deck more based around the Steelswarms than the Evilswarms, thus the Scout / Recurring Nightmare and stuff like that. It's also fun to mill a Longhorn then bring him back with Mantis, in pure Steelswarm decks. Just a little tip for you, fellow Lswarmer ;)

Stormforth is pointless here, since Tributing your opponent's monsters for a Vanilla will get you nowhere.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. If he wants to use it, he should use it at 1. Obviously the vanilla Steelswarm will be useful as only a beater, but having the non-targeting, non-destruction removal could come in handy. Having a copy of Steelswarm Longhorn for these cases would be beneficial, since he only needs 1 of his Tributes to be a Steelswarm in order to get his effect.

Archived