Why I like Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai. Do you agree?

Arctic55

If there is one anime I can put my support behind... I suggest Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai.  Yes it is a Harem (sort of since there is a pretty equal number of male and female main characters)... yes it has some "interesting" parts in the topic area most parents avoid.  But if you can look past that, it actually has a deep message about countries today.  It also explains one major reason why, I think, Japan and America were extremely strong in the past (one reason they are strong today is their technology but other countries are catching up fast).

A big question this anime brings up is, if someone is important to you and they in turn have another person important to them, is that "other person" important to you?  Japan in its older days (I'd like say... before it was reformed by America after WWII... not too sure about the timeline though) was very formidable because the Japaneese generally fought for... their country or their fellow Japaneese.  America was the same way before (I want to say the 1980s and 1990s when the young generation's attitude changed).

One thing that struck me in the show is the line that goes along the following: people who care about their friends and their friends' friends is what makes a family, that caring extends out of the family to families caring about other families which makes a town, and that in turn extends to towns caring for other towns and that makes a nation.

If you do some research, you realize, this used to be true in Japan (at least most of it).  Towns would litterly leave their doors unlocked because everyone knew everyone and cared about each other.  If you were caught stealing from someone, anyone who saw you would turn you in.  A stronger example though, is WWII.  The Allies didn't even know about the 2 million Japanese soldiers in the homeland and over 10 million civilians being trained to fight to the bitter end rather than surrender.  America had this also, in the form of possies.  If someone stole your stuff, your friends would make a posse to help u get it back.

I'm starting a philosophical debate here.  And these are the assumtions I'm starting this with.  I'm not as well versed in history as others, and I don't believe my belief is better than yours.  But I wanted to start a philosophical debate so I can see if there are any possible issues with my logic due to lack of information or too many assumtions.

Please, lets keep this debate cordial.

NOTE:  I did not do any extensive research and do not claim my information is 100% correct.  My assumtions are based on readings I've done over time and may have flaws or gaps.

Some Openings:

Archived