Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Shradow

The “Azure Mineral” that resulted in “Magic Arts.”
An azure mineral of many mysteries, “Ragnite” is the source of a power called “Magic Arts,” which brought various blessings to mankind. Those that saw its talent industrialized the art into the “Magic Arts Industry,” an industrial “Azure Revolution” that allowed anyone to handle the art.
But the arrival of the Azure Revolution changed the world completely.
The reformation of industrial and societal structure through the Magic Arts Industry changed the history of mankind into a “history of conflict” concerning Ragnite resource sufficiency.
The era of “Imperialism” had begun.
Is this a battle for “liberation,” or a battle for “revenge?”
In 1853, about a century after the Azure Revolution, a small country known as “Jutland” located in southern Europe launched an assault against the base of a northern major power known as the “Rus Empire.” Jutland, impoverished by the large country’s economic blockade, and advocating “independence and liberation from colonial rule,” declared war on the Rus Empire, and rushed into battle against an superpower aligned with a Valkyria.
After, the young group that led the fight purported the “Miraculous War of Liberation” are declared the “Grave Sinners” of history. Under the surface of the battle for liberation, there was a personal motive of revenge—.
  • A Multi-Sided War Drama and Story of Revenge – A story of hidden personal revenge; activity not only on the battlefield, but in a vast range of fields such as politics and economics; the main characters that waged war and involved their country; and the “Valkyria,” the greatest enemy that stands before their goal.
  • “Gouache” Visual Engine – Realized only as a result of PlayStation 4’s high specifications, the game is depicted via the new painting-style Gouache shader characterized by detail, vividness, and unique use of color.
  • “LeGION” Battle System – “Experience the sensation of the battlefield” with the LeGION battle system and enjoy tactical battles with large armies while keeping the feel of a regular RPG.
Characters
  • Amleth – The protagonist. The commanding officer of the Jutland Kingdom’s elite Anti-Valkyria Unit.
  • Ophelia – The heroine. The princess of the Jutland Kingdom able to manipulate Song Magic.
  • Brunhild – A Valkyria feared as the “God of Death.” She sides with the Empire under the terms of the “Ring” contract.

Official website.

I'm pretty excited to see where this one goes, and I hope it gets a western release. I really love the first Valkyria Chronicles. From what I understand, this is a spin-off, and isn't a tactical RPG, though I'm not sure how the LeGION system works exactly.

It's definitely more of a standard RPG title, but there are things they've mentioned that I'd like to see visually.

[spoiler=This part of the interview is a good example.]

How work on a new Valkyria game began…

Ozawa: “We wanted to do something new using Valkyria, and one of the things we’re putting in is a real-time system. Initially, we were considering real-time strategy, but we went with an RPG because we think that’s what more users will want to play.”

This game’s connection to Valkyria Chronicles…

Ozawa: “This time, we switched to an RPG. The concept of the battle system and the sensation of the battlefield are the same, but because it’s an RPG with simulation elements, you can experience the battlefield through a different perspective.”

Regarding the flow of the game…

Ozawa: “You get the feeling that you’re taking territory from a major power and expanding your scope. You’ll prepare at the base, go out to the field, achieve your objectives, and return to base. It’s similar to an RPG where you go into dungeons.”

Regarding the world…

Ozawa: “It’s completely different (from Valkyria Chronicles). This time, the key item known as Ragnite is not just used as an energy resource, but also has magical aspects. Valkyria are supernatural compared to humans, beings considered close to gods.”

Shimosato: “I want them to become known as the Senjou series and Kakumei series.” (Note: This means the “Battlefield” series and “Revolution” series. In Japan, Valkyria Chronicles is called “Senjou no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Battlefield,” while this new title is called “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Azure Revolution.”)

Regarding combat…

Ozawa: “There are symbol encounters, but symbols are shown as a unit, and you can interact with a symbol before the encounter. You can snipe an enemy symbol, use a smokescreen to disable it, or shoot at it with a rifle to lure the enemy. Sniping is powerful, but on the battlefield it functions like an usable item so there are limits how often it can be used.

“Battles are conducted by setting commands to buttons. They’re action-ish battles. It takes on the familiar form of recent RPGs. The maximum amount of party members is five. You control one of them, and the rest move based on a set thought process.”

Shimosato: “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.”

A message for fans…

Shimosato: “We can’t announce it yet, but we’re commissioning music from a famous name.”

Ozawa: “There are parts similar to Valkyria Chronicles, but because it’s largely different on the surface in a good way, we want you to enjoy this game with flat eyes as a new series.”

funk that then.  We have enough generic JRPG's already. 

Call me crazy, but I'm going to actually see how the game plays before I make such a rude statement.

And there's nothing wrong with your standard JRPG. I'm excited for this game, regardless, even if it's a spin-off that's different from the previous games in the series.

Yeah, I absolutely adore Valkyria Chronicles, too. It's one of my favorite games ever and I'd love more of it, but your statement just seemed incredibly whiny. Maybe it's just because it was so abrupt and out of nowhere with the immediate swear. It really caught me off guard.

But if there's one thing I hate, it's when things like games are dismissed without being given a proper chance.

I have a lot of words to say about this sort of change.

For one, the change from the Blitz system to the Legion system is... something I'm not all that bothered with. I mean, they've pumped out three VC games using the same system already, so if a game developer wants to do something different, more power to them. More of the same over longer periods of time could just equate to Call of Duty levels of quality, and that's no good.

However, I think my biggest qualm is with the setting. I guess it makes sense for a lot of swordplay with the game taking place nearly 70 years before the events of VC one, but one of my favorite parts of Valkyria Chronicles was the WWII aesthetic it had going on, with tanks and guns and grenades and stuff. It felt really unique, especially since the next biggest WWII-esque franchise would be, what, Medal of Honor? And when was the last WWII MoH game? No one knows.

I also don't like the character designs right off the bat. The lady with the scythe looks like a watered-down Selvaria 2.0 with bust size to match. I don't like the lolita/goth/whatever girl. Why would you go to battle wearing that? The guy MC just looks like the VC3 protagonist.

Why is there mecha scorpions, and why is none of this technology present in the FUTURE? That doesn't make any sense. Unless this is like a split timeline? But that's just as bad.

I really, really don't want a prequel. I'm getting sick of 'em. Even the VC3 storyline, which was before VC2 but at the same time as VC1, was fine.

I don't want maaaaaagiiiiiiiiiiic. Even Selvaria, basically the queen bіtch of the universe when it came to magic, used a giant-ass machine gun more often than not.

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this. It's got me nervous.

Well, it's a spin-off, and it's different in a lot of ways already. We don't know if it's the same world as VC just in a different time, or a different world from VC just with similarities (Ragnite, Valkyria, etc.).

The character designs seem standard JRPG fare to me, what with things like outfit choices. But what I care about are their characters and personalities more than how they look. Selvaria herself didn't have much going for her, she was basically a tool. So to say Brunhild, who we know nothing about aside from the fact she's a Valyria, is a watered down version of Selvaria gives Selvaria too much credit. Or you just have incredibly, incredibly low expectations for this new character.

Viewing Ragnite from the perspective of having magical aspects in this game does not surprise me in the slightest. Playing VC it already seemed pretty magical to me, they were just spinning it in a more scientific sense as an energy source that just had tons of different uses. As for the scorpion tank things, I'm going to assume they're part of,  “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.” from the interview. So I'm assuming they also have something to do with the magic of some sort, and if they're not around in the future (that's only assuming this and the VC games are in the same world and timeline) that just means all the magic stuff somehow died out, or for some reason or another isn't seen in the main VC games (maybe it's in a different and far away part of the planet?).

For now, I basically just want to see some gameplay to see how it works, and I'd maybe like to know for sure if it's the same/different world/timeline or whatever as the main VC games. But that'll come with time.

Plus, you know, it's entirely possible that this doesn't get a western release like VC3 and we don't have to worry about it anyways.

Well, it's a spin-off, and it's different in a lot of ways already. We don't know if it's the same world as VC just in a different time, or a different world from VC just with similarities (Ragnite, Valkyria, etc.).

That would be an interesting choice. But then, outside of the established VC world, I'd find myself giving exponentially less of a shіt. Which I don't want to happen, necessarily.

The character designs seem standard JRPG fare to me, what with things like outfit choices.

That's a bad thing.

But what I care about are their characters and personalities more than how they look. Selvaria herself didn't have much going for her, she was basically a tool.

That was her character. She was a tool exploited for a vicious cause. Though, after VC3, I care about her a bit more.

So to say Brunhild, who we know nothing about aside from the fact she's a Valyria, is a watered down version of Selvaria gives Selvaria too much credit. Or you just have incredibly, incredibly low expectations for this new character.

Nail on the head, hun.

And even if I don't like a certain character's personality, so what, that happens all the time in video games, hasn't stopped me before.

The question isn't whether or not I like the personality. The question is, is it written well?

Viewing Ragnite from the perspective of having magical aspects in this game does not surprise me in the slightest. Playing VC it already seemed pretty magical to me, they were just spinning it in a more scientific sense as an energy source that just had tons of different uses. As for the scorpion tank things, I'm going to assume they're part of,  “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.” from the interview. So I'm assuming they also have something to do with the magic of some sort, and if they're not around in the future (that's only assuming this and the VC games are in the same world and timeline) that just means all the magic stuff somehow died out, or for some reason or another isn't seen in the main VC games (maybe it's in a different and far away part of the planet?).

If this DOES end up taking place in the past in the Mainline VC world, then those scorpion tanks are absolutely unacceptable. 70~ years is not nearly enough time to forget such technology. And it's not like Ragnite went away. Bloody hell, that's why the Imps went stomping into Galia in the first place.

For now, I basically just want to see some gameplay to see how it works, and I'd maybe like to know for sure if it's the same/different world/timeline or whatever as the main VC games. But that'll come with time.

Plus, you know, it's entirely possible that this doesn't get a western release like VC3 and we don't have to worry about it anyways.

Nature'll find a way, just like how I found a way to play VC3. I'll buy a bleedin' Jap PS4 if I have to.

Going back to what I said to Tenta, we know next to nothing about Brunhild but for no reason you have crap expectations without even giving her a chance, I can't understand that mentality.

I'm pretty sure it's a different universe, from things I've been reading, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, completely unrelated, why "hun?" Just something that stuck out to me. Seems like an odd word choice.

Going back to what I said to Tenta, we know nothing about Brunhild but for no reason you have crap expectations without even giving her a chance, I can't understand that mentality.

That's just it. We know nothing about her except her character design. That's all I have to go off of. And it screams "This will be a mediocre character at best" to me.

Also, completely unrelated, why "hun?" Just something that stuck out to me. Seems like an odd word choice.

I dunno. It felt fitting, so I rolled with it.

• 2 months later...

Ooh, we finally have some gameplay!

It's not longer turn-based, which we knew, but I like what I'm seeing. It does seem a bit shallow and I think could stand to be a bit flashier if they're going for a more ARPG-oriented game, but I assume this demo will be different from the final version. But still pretty cool so far.

It looks really pretty, though, can't argue with that.

Archived