I want other people's opinions, suggestions, and thoughts on my most current favorite anime series list.

The title says it all. I apologize if I've done this before; my memory issues are quite hindering at times. Also, I have pretty much no one to discuss Monster with; I don't know a single person who's even tried watching it yet. Is there anyone out there? XD

1. Paranoia Agent

2. Monster

3. Hunter X Hunter (2011)

4. Fullmetal Alchemist

5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Season 1)

6. Welcome to the N.H.K.

7. Neon Genesis Evangelion

8. Boogiepop Phantom

9. Mushishi

10. Yu Yu Hakusho

Just looks like a very typical list(bar Boogiepop maybe, that one I haven't seen in many lists) to me. Dunno why you're trying to get some hot opinions on it. Monster's not a new show, it's been discussed a lot already by the many people who've seen it way before, I'm sure there are many places with archives to discussions of shows like that you can look up.

Just looks like a very typical list(bar Boogiepop maybe, that one I haven't seen in many lists) to me. Dunno why you're trying to get some hot opinions on it. Monster's not a new show, it's been discussed a lot already by the many people who've seen it way before, I'm sure there are many places with archives to discussions of shows like that you can look up.

Paranoia Agent is typical? Monster is typical? Welcome to the N.H.K. is typical? I'd even argue that Mushishi isn't typical. Serial Experiments Lain used to be in my top ten; I heard that it was the most popular science fiction anime series from Bobsamurai, and I found that to be complete bullshit. I rarely hear a word about any of the series I mentioned in this reply. But I do agree that Boogiepop Phantom was the most abnormal one.

EDIT: Also, a lot of lists I've seen include Death Note, Code Geass, maybe Gurren Lagann, one of the big three, Steins;Gate, and other more mainstream series. I'd like to think that my list is less mainstream than most.

None of them are the most mainstream picks but they're very typical picks, yes. Yes, all of those appear in more than a few 'self-proclaimed-intellectuals' anime lists I've seen. Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places because I see pretty much everything in your list(again, bar Boogiepop) highly praised, have decently-sized cult followings, and/or talked about every once in a while.

Death Note, Code Geass, maybe Gurren Lagann, one of the big three, Steins;Gate, and other more mainstream series. I'd like to think that my list is less mainstream than most.

Yeah, those are the mainstream ones. And consciously picking non-mainstream shows just makes you look like a hipster. Although you did include NGE so I guess that's not really your intent.

None of them are the most mainstream picks but they're very typical picks, yes. Yes, all of those appear in more than a few 'self-proclaimed-intellectuals' anime lists I've seen. Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places because I see pretty much everything in your list(again, bar Boogiepop) highly praised, have decently-sized cult followings, and/or talked about every once in a while.

Yeah, those are the mainstream ones. And consciously picking non-mainstream shows just makes you look like a hipster. Although you did include NGE so I guess that's not really your intent.

I see your point. Do you have any suggestions based off of my list?

I doubt you haven't but perhaps, Ergo Proxy? The movie Akira? Berserk or Hellsing if we're going a bit down the gory route? Psychopass for something recent but not necessarily at the level of the stuff in the list? At the top of my head those seem like the sorta shows to be up that alley. Maybe give things from the resident YCM anime recommendationstm thread a try.

Bokurano, forgot that was a thing, that one I actually liked a lot and again, seems to be up that alley.

I doubt you haven't but perhaps, Ergo Proxy? The movie Akira? Berserk or Hellsing if we're going a bit down the gory route? Psychopass for something recent but not necessarily at the level of the stuff in the list? At the top of my head those seem like the sorta shows to be up that alley. Maybe give things from the resident YCM anime recommendationstm thread a try.

Bokurano, forgot that was a thing, that one I actually liked a lot and again, seems to be up that alley.

I finished Berserk; I'm actually gonna continue re-watching it in an hour or so. I tried Ergo Proxy; I'm gonna wait on that one. I seriously need to see Akira. I tried Psycho Pass, and I wasn't enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. Hellsing is one of the ones I plan to watch with a female friend of mine.

Your list has definitely improved over the years since you were YYH13. Sure, some of the titles are stuff that a lot of people like, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Anime has hidden gems, sure, but I always find it a little weird if someone's entire top list is all obscure stuff.

I know people like knocking stuff for being mainstream sometimes, but personally, I feel like they're mainstream for a reason.

Anyways, interesting choice for #1. Satoshi Kon's works may not be in my top favorites, but they're definitely awesome stuff to watch. You should check some of the movies he directed if you haven't already, especially Tokyo Godfathers.

• 2 weeks later...

Your list has definitely improved over the years since you were YYH13. Sure, some of the titles are stuff that a lot of people like, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Anime has hidden gems, sure, but I always find it a little weird if someone's entire top list is all obscure stuff.

I know people like knocking stuff for being mainstream sometimes, but personally, I feel like they're mainstream for a reason.

Anyways, interesting choice for #1. Satoshi Kon's works may not be in my top favorites, but they're definitely awesome stuff to watch. You should check some of the movies he directed if you haven't already, especially Tokyo Godfathers.

Yeah. That was a long time ago. XD I remember you. If it's not too strange to say, I always kinda wanted to meet you in person because you seemed to be really cool. And regarding my list, I still have the hardest time comparing Monster and Paranoia Agent to decide which is my favorite series because there's such a large gap in the amount of episodes. They're both, in my opinion, the best of their genre (psychological thrillers).

Archived