Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess [IC/PG-16/Not Accepting]

Sethera

Sienna would have to ask who this Silas man was, because it was obvious that he knew the group and neither side was fond of eachother. It looked like things were going to come to more than just insults, when an elderly woman stopped the ensuing arguement. She was really confused at this point, so instead Sienna ignored the arguements all together. She got up and followed after the group.

She noticed Edrick picking up Ciela and taking her with him, Sienna really hoped Ciela's legs would get better soon, it would be very bad if they stopped working completely. She shook the thought out of her head, she had one thing and one thing alone to worry about, pleading for her innocence in a murder.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

04Cycv6.png

Catriona frowned a bit at Silas' words. The implications were...not very flattering toward her parents, mostly toward her father. She knew of not one person that disliked her gentle mother. The princess was about to respond that he best keep such opinions to himself or he would cause a diplomatic incident, when Penelope took it upon herself to defend them. "Don't speak of our parents like that!"

It did not seem like the group would ever get along with the old councilman from Sector Three. Edrick had called Silas a not very nice word in Pontic. Funnily enough, Catriona knew more swear words in Pontic than anything else, due to her experience on the battlefield. Ciela had spoken some words that, while not familiar, were probably swears as well. The white-haired woman had tilted her head at that. Was that some sort of unknown Pontic dialect? Asura and Edrick had bounced the blame back on Silas for the thieves, while Edrick had taken it a step further.

Silas, meanwhile, had to bite himself back from saying what came to mind. If it weren't for the stern look Olivia was leveling at him, he would have had Marcus throw them out of the building. The nerve of them! Especially that Pontic, the boy who looked unsettlingly like Eragon. No doubt a close relative of sorts. Oh, that would be a riot. Eragon's relative and Reginald's spawn. In the same group. They would tear themselves apart, with no help from him.

"If you are implying what I think you are implying," he gritted out. "Then rest assured that I had no part in that thievery. More likely, it was brought about by your own actions."

Before anything else could be said, Vanessa, helped by Tullus, ushered the group through the door, sending a parting look at Silas. "Please do not aggravate the witnesses," she said shortly, before shutting the door in his face.

As she led the group through the hallway, the woman introduced herself to the group, while also explaining what was going to happen. "Originally, what was planned was that you would be called in for questioning, however, Master Silas brings up good points, regardless of any personal bias."

The city hall was quite large, and confusing to traverse. The group walked up and down staircases, passing by balconies and numerous doorways that lead to various rooms and hallways. Lighting came in the form of rounded windows from above, some inset into the ceiling itself. Everywhere they went, they came across marble columns, their capitals, or tops, flaring out in the form of swirled clouds, a typical Histian style. A keen observer would notice the arches, engraved in familiar labyrinthine designs, much like what had been on the floor in the library's room.

Eventually, they reached a pair of double doors on the bottom floor. Actually, it could have been a basement floor, but they had gone up and down so many stairs that they had lost track. Catriona wondered if this had been on purpose, to confuse them if they tried to escape or infiltrate the place. Vanessa opened the doors, revealing the courtroom.

The courtroom was empty at the moment, and a bit smaller than the woman had been expecting. Still, it wasn't as if they'd have to fit all the citizens of Ithome within it. It had yet more of those columns, and at the very front stood an old man with a long beard dressed in a simple blue robe. He broke into a smile at seeing the group, no, rather, at seeing the princesses.

"Ah," he said. "If I had known I would be receiving royalty, I would have dressed a little nicer. You'll have to forgive me, though I suppose, things being as they are, we have bigger things to worry about than my wardrobe," he chuckled.

Catriona dipped her head, "Master Harris, my apologies that we couldn't have come under better circumstances."

"No, no, I am sure it is all a misunderstanding," he waved it off. "I know your father, see, and I've heard of your character, Princess Catriona, and you, Princess Penelope," he turned to look at both of them in turn. "They say that you are honorable and just, that you are kind and goodhearted. Though I'm not one to put all my stock into rumors, I daresay that every tale has a grain of truth somewhere within. I doubt very much that either one of you would associate with a murderer."

Catriona glanced at Sienna. Yes, it was all very suspicious, and much of the blame pointed to the Protean before her. However, instinct told her to trust this person. And it hadn't steered her wrong yet. "You are correct, Master Harris," she replied, raising her head. "I would not."

The man clapped his hands together. "Wonderful, wonderful. Then this won't take very long at all. I just need testimonies from all of you, and then we can put this whole business behind us. The murder will still have to be investigated, but you won't need to be present for that."

"I would like to inform you sir, that Master Silas has information to impart about these people," Vanessa said, though her expression made it very clear what she thought of such information.

Harris frowned. "His every word will be saturated with prejudice. Isn't there a clause somewhere that states you shouldn't have to rely on unreliable testaments? If not, there should be," he muttered the last sentence to himself.

"No there is not," the green-haired woman shook her head, voice laced with amusement. "However, it is up to you what you would prefer to do in this situation."

"Let's not worry about Silas, then," the man said. "Let's just--"

"I'm sure I didn't hear you say that, Harris," a sharp, biting voice rang throughout the courtroom. Soon after, Silas and Olivette entered, followed by their guards.

Olivette glanced at Harris. "My apologies for the interruption, however, given the circumstances," she shot a look at both Catriona and Penelope, eyes alight with renewed interest. "I feel it is in the best interests of Ithome to have all three of us preside over this case."

"Yes, it wouldn't do to have personal feelings interfere with the verdict," Silas sneered.

Harris frowned even more. "Do you believe me so corrupt, Silas?"

"I believe your former acquaintance with the old king Lysander has clouded your judgment," the other man snapped. "His son is nothing like he was, which you should accept. And from what I have seen, his daughters have inherited nothing of their grandfather's wisdom, and all of their father's bloodthirstiness."

"I have met King Reginald, and while direct in his actions, he is a good king who cares for his country," Harris breathed in, before turning to the group. "My apologies for this scene."

"Even now you seek to toady with the princesses. Are you nothing more than a dog who would grovel at their master's feet?"

"Enough! If you have come to beg permission to preside over the hearing, then you are not helping your case any."

"Technically," Olivette said. "Under clause five, wherein during the time of the monthly meeting, the city hall is treated as neutral ground in which all three councilmen have equal authority, as the both of us are for this, you have no choice but to let us intrude upon you for this matter." She glanced between the two. "This way, with two opposing views, and one neutral, we have the best chance of stumbling upon the truth of the matter, and let that speak for itself, regardless of bias on either end."

Harris gave one last glare toward Silas before sighing, "I see your point, Olivette. All right," he drew himself up, looking toward the group. "We should start the questioning then. Everybody but this person here," he nodded at one of the group, "follow Vanessa to the back room. You will all be questioned individually on what happened, starting from when you entered Sector One. Please do not try to fabricate your answers."

"Depending on the person, you will be asked to explain your actions in Sector Three as well," Silas sneered at the gathering. Harris' brows gathered together at his compatriot's words, though he said nothing in tacit agreement.

And so, one by one, each person in the group was brought before Harris, Silas, and Olivette in the courtroom. The courtroom was soundproofed somehow, so they couldn't hear anything that went on in there. Nor did anybody return to the waiting room, each person led to a separate room where they would not be able to discuss anything with the others.

As to what happened in the courtroom...

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident," Harris asked the person in front of him gently.

"No doubt they will lie," Silas snorted.

"Let us hear them out first," Olivette said, interrupting Harris' response, before staring down at the person. "Please, do tell us."

Afterward they asked a few more questions, such as, "What is your connection to the suspect?" and "What reason would the suspect have for committing the murder" and "Would she have had the opportunity to commit it?" For Sienna, they asked questions such as, "What is the closest thing to murder you have ever done?" and "Have you ever thought about committing murder?" and "Tell us why you wouldn't commit the murder."

--

Salvia was an observant girl. She could tell when somebody started to tire of conversation. It was a bit sad that her new role model had to go, but he was probably busy saving princesses or something like that. "Nice to meetcha too, mister," she grinned a gap-toothed grin, waving as she walked away. "Good luck with whatever you're up to!"

Gunther would find himself at a loss for what to do. The library was swarmed with soldiers, and indeed, he would have a difficult time going in as he was. However, he would soon find himself distracted by the sight of a swarthy man carrying an axe nearby, peering through the crowd and shouting, "Princess L'Arachel! Princess L'Arachel, where are you?!"

[spoiler=OOC]

For everybody in the courtroom (so everybody except Gunther), they will find themselves being questioned. For real life time's sake, I decided to have the questioning and answering occur all at once, however in the RP it is happening consecutively. The order people are called up will be the order people post in, with Catriona going last. Please keep your character in the courtroom at the end of your post in case the council have more questions and stuff.

Gunther meets a strange man shouting for an unknown princess. Who is this strange man and why is he shouting for a princess? Find out on the next episode of Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess!

In the midst of the chaos, it seemed that Catriona didn't listen to what Ciela was saying regarding her need to thank her father, but while it slightly irked her, she wasn't able to properly react to it as Edrick suddenly appeared behind her and lifted her from the floor. It was shameful, it felt degrading. Ciela was annoyed enough that it was the second time today that she had to be lifted and carried by people just to move around, and tried her best to get away from the Pontic farmboy, mainly by weakly struggling. Of course, she had not the weight nor the physical capability to overpower or inconvenience him, and she begrudgingly had to accept the fact that she had to spend her last few moments with the group as a complete burden. Admittedly, it was nice to be carried by him, and as they go, Ciela found herself latching into him closer...by a little bit, of course.

They arrived at the courtroom soon, and it was empty, save for a kind-looking man. He conversed for a bit with Catriona and the green-haired guard, but just when Ciela felt that things went way too well, her earlier worries came in the form of SIlas and Olivette. Ciela, who was already in a foul mood due to the events that transpired to her that day, had to try her best to not listen to the conversation that followed, else she would've deteriorated into spouting lines after lines of curses and swears.

"We should start the questioning then. Everybody but this person here, follow Vanessa to the back room. You will all be questioned individually on what happened, starting from when you entered Sector One. Please do not try to fabricate your answers."

The moment Ciela tried to listen to what happened again, she had been chosen to stay by Harris in the courtroom, alone at the mercy of the three Councilmen. Whatever reason they chose her first, at least it made moving around less annoying for the time being. Ciela tried to temper her emotions for when the trio prepared their questions. It felt like an eternity, but finally, the first questions started to be asked.

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident,"

"No doubt they will lie,"

Before Ciela could answer, Silas interjected with a response that almost felt like it would've given her enough frustration to bend reality just to allow herself to leap and maul him like a tiger. Olivette's words calmed her down somewhat, but even it wasn't enough as she continued to stare at Silas while words came from her mouth.

"Don't even know when was the incident. Was shopping on a market before, got robbed by a shameless thief, chased him and got badly injured in the process, and ended up in the library when the swordsman decided to carry me there so I can actually get some treatment. Don't care if you can't believe it, I can drag all the witnesses I need into this room if I need to."

"What is your connection to the suspect?"

"We're traveling together. She joined us two days ago on our way to this sector. I...well, I don't get along well with her."

"What reason would the suspect have for committing the murder"

"How the hell would I know?"

"Would she have had the opportunity to commit it?"

"Go ask someone that's actually been with her that time."

And then...no more questions. Ciela felt odd. She felt that it was incomplete. The incompleteness of the session annoyed her. They barely asked anything relevant. They didn't even ask about what happened in the previous Sector. Was this a trap or something like that? Ciela was growing to be more and more incensed the more time passed. She hadn't been asked to leave yet either. What were they waiting for? Memories of what happened back in Sector Three flooded back in, and looking at Silas' expression finally made Ciela hit critical mass.

"That's it? That's all you're going to ask? You don't even ask about what happened in Sector Three? Because I have things to tell you. So I was a wandering priestess in training walking  on the streets with my horse, and what do I see? Group of thieves and lowlifes attacking strangers right on the middle of the road I was going to pass. I'd be fine if I turn around since after all I'm not a fighter, but then you know what? Those thieves started attacking me and my partner. Doesn't take a detective to figure out who was in the wrong for me back then, so I picked a side and helped those strangers.

Where were the guards? They arrived really fast once the battle was over, but the hell they're doing before? Rather than bothering to check about the fact that those lowlifes attacked us, the guards used the crowd to accuse us of slaughter. Ha, we did their job for them for free and that's what they pay us back with? I don't care about how much you hate Galteans or the princesses' father or anything, Councilman Silas, but at least try having guards with some basic human decency.

And now, you three are trying to decide whether Sienna's guilty or not just by asking a few vague questions? How can you just decide someone's fate by debating on whose guts feeling are more right? Some of the questions didn't even make sense! Why would I know about Sienna's motive if she was the killer, and why would it be relevant? Do you really expect to prove whether I and the others are accomplices to her or not just by asking that question?

Those arbitrary questions aren't a replacement to a reasonable law, and if I know one thing for sure, there aren't even enough cold hard evidence to actually arrest her now even if your collective gut feeling agreed somehow that she's the killer. But yeah sure, go arrest someone that almost had mental breakdowns just at the thought of how she might accidentally hurt someone, and feel the safety of your blanket tonight with us rotting in your dungeon while the actual killer is still out there somewhere.

Though eh, in the end you'd probably figure out an excuse to imprison even me. I don't think I'm in a position to care. Worst case I'll just figure out a way to leave, even if I have to crawl...oh wait I'm doing that now already.

That's all for me I guess."

Still trying her best to not explode into a torrent of foreign cuss words in front of Silas, Ciela locked her eyes onto the three. Her session wasn't over yet, and thus she shall prepare herself for the aftermath from what she just said.

x0mgaxu.png?1

As the group made their way into the councils main chamber, it seemed that the councilman of this district, Harris, wanted to completely expedite the process altogether by getting them to merely say something about the situation and get them on their way. While Alois thought the man was almost oddly too friendly towards him, as the green haired knight brought up the other councilman Alois couldn't help but wonder. He couldn't help but think if he just trusted them that much, wanted to hand wave to the current situation altogether or just really didn't like Silas that much. However, before the process could begin, the other two councilmen had decided to join in on the questioning, basically trying to get as many minds involved in this as possible. Despite Harris being on their side, Alois had figured that really the most conducive thing to coming to a reasonable conclusion that the two men, metaphorically at each other's throats, was to simply have the woman ask them the questions and come to her own judgements. Of the little he knew between all three of them, she seemed to be the most level headed of them and level headeness was something Alois could appreciate. Nevertheless, they were eventually left to wait to be called in for questioning, one at a time. 

When it had come for his time, Alois had walked into the room that held the three councilmen. Looking at them all, he didn't really say anything and just waited for them to ask him the questions. First, they asked for him to recount what he had done for the day. Thinking about it, Alois said, "well, let's see. If the incident was finding the body then, before the incident I was with the rest of my traveling group and went to the library. I didn't really do much there, just kind of looked at the collection of books you guys had alongside the littler princess until we found that secret room thing. Then we went there, found the body, already dead and that's where Lute came in. From then we didn't really do much else but talk with the girl and then left the library. As for what happened after the incident, well," he gestured to the room around him. "This is the after."

After that, each councilmen individually asked their questions. First came the second districts councilman. Upon hearing her question Alois answered, "I guess traveling companions would be the closest thing. I haven't really known for her all that long, maybe a few days max. I don't really have any thoughts about her beyond that." 

Next came Silas's question. It was, as Alois expected, very pointed towards trying to implicate her as a murderer. After hearing his question Alois shrugged saying, "don't know. Your guess is probably as good as mi-" he stopped himself for a moment, thinking about what he was about to say. Shaking his head he said, "no, my guess would probably be better." Nodding at that he seemed content before saying, "which is to say my guess is that she had no reason to commit it."

Then came the final question from Harris. This was clearly a make or break question for them, and if he answered no then it'd clearly swing in their favor and immediately dispel all possible notions that she was indeed the murderer. However, Alois knew that he couldn't lie. If anyone else did than it would just do nothing but put more suspicion on them, and that wasn't something he wanted to deal with. So he just had to hope the other three were honest as well. "Yeah, there was probably a window in which she could have done it. We weren't together for the whole time we were in the library and she was by herself for a period of time. Realistically it was probably too short a time for her to actually get anything like that done, but yeah. There was a time." 

With the three questions having been answered, Alois then thought a bit more and said, "now I know you lot are the ones asking the questions here but, I have one of my own. If I may." He looked to the councilman that this district belonged to before asking, "the place where the body was found. How many people actually know of it?" 

aonB0Ia.png?3

“I’m surrounded by idiots.” Penelope thought. Then again she was no better after that outburst earlier. Aggravating Silas would do them no good. Both in this situation and in the grand scheme of things it would be best to at least stay as neutral with him as possible.
That seemed to have far beyond sailed. Penelope realized why they, all of them, were doing this. Humans have been proven to naturally feel the need to defend themselves. To show up someone who was in the wrong.
But Silas would not budge with accusations along. Penelope wanted to win. But, she couldn’t see a win coming from this.

Thankfully they moved on soon after this moment. Vanessa, the out of place possible guard, brought them into a courtroom where Councilman Harris was waiting.
She would have responded to the man, however, she addressed them as royalty. Which meant it would be up to Catriona to respond. And Penelope was happy to see that she had learned something of how to speak to foreign leaders.

Penelope smiled, somewhat shyly, as the Councilman complimented them. She had been given such compliments before but something about it coming from someone who wasn't under command of her father made it feel better.

Of course her smile slipped once the others entered and they discovered that they would be questioned individually.

A smart choice, of course, to avoid collaboration and to prevent the possibility that some would lie when the others are there to hear their answers. She wouldn't have any time to give advice and was forced to just wait for her turn.

While she waited she pondered Harris' connection to her father. It wasn't something she considered before but it seemed like a topic she should learn more about. In fact, this entire city seemed important to learn from if only she had the time...

When her turn came Penelope approached the Council Members with confidence. She had done no wrong. There was nothing they could say she wasn't prepared for. Nothing they could ask that would implement her.

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident,"

"This would depend on when the incident took place, I believe. If I were pressed to give an answer I suppose...before the incident I was traveling, entering the district, and heading for the library. Once in the library I began gathering books for perusing. Which, for the record, I would certainly like to get to after all this. After the incident we discovered this seemingly secret passageway that led us to..." Penelope paused uncomfortably. "the body."

"What is your connection to the suspect?"

"I only recently met her; on the road here actually."

"What reason would the suspect have for committing the murder"

Penelope considered the question. "I...do not know. I don't know much about her. Not nearly enough to say such a thing. However...That Sage, Lute, she seemed to know the victim. But she doesn't seem to know Sienna. Perhaps you should ask her?"

And this is where Penelope had to take a deep breath. She couldn't afford to lie here. She didn't know for certain if Sienna did it and lying about her thoughts to aid the girl could be disastrous if she were found guilty. "Yes. There would have been a time. We didn't see her for a short time and, if she knew where the hidden room was, and was swift...yes she theoretically could have done it."

She stared at each of the Council Members. Had they been more aggressive in their questioning Penelope may not have fared as well but, as it was, they were simply asking her to give her thoughts.
That was certainly something Penelope knew how to do.

"Anything else?"

lcmI449.png?1

"Nice to meetcha too, mister," she grinned a gap-toothed grin, waving as she walked away. "Good luck with whatever you're up to!"

What a good girl. He hoped that she found a safe, happy, future....Of course for that to happen they would have to succeed in this quest. Gunther was disheartened to realize that he had no way of getting into the library and, therefore, not much he could think of doing to help. If only Penelope were here she would probably be able to spot something that would work.

"Princess L'Arachel! Princess L'Arachel, where are you?!"

The axe is what caught his attention first. He shuddered as he remembered the pain of the bandit's axe blow a while back. But, he was looking for someone, a princess? He had never heard of a princess by that name. Of course, Gunther wasn't an expect on these matters. But, perhaps this could be good, helping out the servant, for this man had a familiar aura of servitude about him, of royalty could do good for them in the future. Finally finding something worth doing he approached the man. "Excuse me, erm, that is..." He coughed, before speaking up louder, but still not very forceful, "What seems to be the problem? Is there...something I can do?" Gunther kept one eye on that axe, which was even larger looking up this close, as he spoke.

x393wz.jpg

BFLQwJB.png?1

x393wz.jpg

Asura sighed to himself as he sat in a corner, waiting. This whole situation was so unusual. The three council members were the furthest thing from unified, which might explain why this city was in thirds. He had to wonder if Silas would even lift a finger to help the other two sectors. He really didn't like that man nor his sector, and it felt like they would consider the other two factions as outsiders. It was a strange thought.

He also wasn't sure why they were being picked in the order they were either, first Ciela, then Alois, and then the Book Worm. It seemed to be random... Especially since he was picked next.

This wasn't his first time being questioned. He chuckled to himself as he untied his bandanna, letting his spiky brown hair fly free. He looked at Medea, and adjusted it so it was plain and easy to see. It would be easy for the three to notice if he made a move to his sword. Tying his bandanna to his hilt, the mercenary walked into the Judgement Room, waiting to be judged.

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident," the first question was a relatively simple one. The answer was all too easy.

"I didn't even know an incident happened. Everyone except our nurse went to the library. I got hungry, so I went out to get food. I then discovered that our nurse had been robbed and injured, so I carried her back to the library to regroup and get her treatment. Next thing I knew, a guard told me it became a crime scene, and that my group was being brought in for questioning. And now I'm here,"

"What is your connection to the suspect?" Well, that was easy to.

"Met her on the road about two days ago. Some old man introduced her to our group and we let her tag along, making our band of misfits mis-fit even more,"

"What reason would the suspect have for committing the murder" Wow.

"What a bias way of asking," Asura muttered. "Well, as a man who was nowhere near the incident, I can only guess it could have been in self-defense. Oh, but wait, that wouldn't be a murder, hang on...," he then added under his breath "Not that sector three seems to understand the concept of that," he then looked in their eyes. "She would have no reason, because I can say she didn't commit it. The suspect in question is a lot more afraid of humans and being skinned then we are of her,"

"Would she have had the opportunity to commit it?" Asura stared impatiently, giving a look that clearly stated 'How the hell do you expect me to know that?'. Without saying another word, he waited to see if they would give him another question, perhaps one he could actually answer.

ljMHWp9.png

Of course he noticed Ciela's attempts at protesting his carrying her, but he wasn't going to be having any of that right now. It was degrading for someone to be forced to crawl upon the ground like a child, and while he could understand the frustration of needing to be carried he hoped she understood the meaning behind his actions. She was the closest thing to a believer among the party, among those that he hoped would become his flock, and he would not stand idly by when he had the means of assisting her. He was, of course, less than happy about having to leave her behind when the trio of councilors decided how to handle this hearing. Silas's open hostility towards the party, and Harris's friendliness with Galtea did not give him confidence about how a true believer would fare.

Eventually, after most of the others, save the accused, had been called to stand between them he was called in before the councilors. He briefly made certain that his symbol of Inera sat nicely under his shirt, and he stepped into the chamber where the interrogation was being enacted. As he entered, he did his best to give off the appearance of strength; an easy enough task for him. His footsteps fell heavily on the stone floor, and he set his face into an expression as devoid of emotion as he could manage. When he came to stand before the three of them, he stood as rigidly as he could. This was harder for him, as a little over a week had not been quite enough for him to become accustomed to the thin air of this mountaintop city, and even though his armor now fit properly it was still heavier than the none that he was used to. Thankfully, the armor did a fair bit to hide the exhausted shaking in his legs. Hopefully it would be enough to get him through this without appearing weak.

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident." At least this Harris person seemed polite. After a momentary interruption by the other two councilors, Edrick gave his answer.

"Before the incident I, with the rest of the group, arrived in the city. Two of us, the Locrisian swordsman and the...injured girl, went off to purchase supplies and, so far as I know, that is what they were doing the whole time. The rest of us went to the library to look for information while I spoke to Princess Catriona about the specifics of our purpose there. Sienna, the Protean girl, came and alerted us to the existence of the secret entrance and told us that she smelled blood at the bottom. We went down the stairs, saw the murdered girl, and then that arrogant...sage, Lute, came and had us arrested, and here we are." He managed to stay calm through his explanation, and more importantly to stay standing. Of course there were more questions yet. There had to be more questions.

"What is your connection to the suspect?" A fair enough question, so he gave a fair enough answer.

"I, along with the rest of my party, met her on the road yesterday. The princesses wanted her to join the party, for reasons I do not understand, but I trust their judgement. They haven't led us astray since I joined this company."

"What reason would the subject have for committing the murder?"

"None. She's far too soft to kill someone." He did not feel he had any reason to elaborate why he thought that, so they would have to ask him further if they cared to know.

"Perhaps, but I do not think she did. Having gone down into the room where it occurred myself, whoever did it would have to be very fast indeed to get down all those stairs, kill someone in the manner that the girl down there was killed, and then get back up to the top before the blood had the chance to cool. Beyond that, Sienna did not seem as tired as someone who had just run up those stairs would be, especially considering that we lost track of her for what must have been three minutes at most." Much as he hoped that would be the end of their questions for him, he believed that they had more to ask him yet. So he waited until he was dismissed.

Sienna would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous in that courtroom, in fact, the whole time she was in there she was sweating bullets. She tried to remain calm, but in all honesty she was doing a terrible job at that.

"I would like you to tell us what you were doing before, during, and after the incident." At least Harris was nice compared to Silas, lie? Sienna wouldn't dream of it.

"Well... I was coming into the sector with the princesses' group... We split up into one group that headed to the library and one group that was supposed to get supplies. While in the library I stumbled across that secret doorway and alerted my friends about it... I was already afraid from the scent of blood and when i saw the body... I felt like i was going to puke..."

"What is the closest thing to murder you have ever done?"

"I... I've never done anything like that! The most killing I ever did was when i was out hunting for food for my tribe." that was honestly the only time she actually killed anything.

"Have you ever thought about committing murder?" What kind of question was that?

"No! Of course not, My tribe raised me to be nonviolent towards anyone, Protean or Human." Her tribe was peaceful, they even gave hospitality to traders who passed through their village.

"Tell us why you wouldn't commit the murder."

"Because I just wouldn't, is that so hard to believe!? I'm more afraid of you humans skinning me alive like a freshly caught fox than anything! Why do you think I wear this cloak and hood?!" Sienna stood there for a moment before sitting back down, hopefully this doesn't go bad for her.

Ciela

The first person to be interviewed was the cripple. Harris had chosen her first out of consideration to her injury, allowing her to sit on one of the benches. In a traditional questioning, there would be more people present than just the council and their guards, but Harris, eager to get this out of the way as soon as possible, with as few people involved as possible, kept the room empty, informing nobody but the parties already involved.

The girl began her recounting. "Don't even know when was the incident. Was shopping on a market before, got robbed by a shameless thief, chased him and got badly injured in the process, and ended up in the library when the swordsman decided to carry me there so I can actually get some treatment. Don't care if you can't believe it, I can drag all the witnesses I need into this room if I need to."

Harris glanced at her worriedly. She already seemed upset just from this one question. With each additional question, her face stormed over even more, and before they could ask her more, she burst out into an angry tirade.

Silas, rather than worried, was just incensed. "Insolent girl!" he barked. "If you had any notion of patience, then we might have had the chance to ask that. In any case, you have only proved that you are nothing but an immature brat, regardless of whether you were involved or not!"

Olivette gazed at the blue-haired girl steadily, seemingly uncaring of her outburst. "You have adequately answered our questions to the best of your ability, though your manners could do with some improvement." No, what she had actually learned was that the girl was being honest in her replies, unless she was a highly skilled actress. Too young, too hotheaded to be an accomplice hiding their guilt, but with prior knowledge of the court system. Seems there was more than one person from high places in this group.

However, there were a few more things to ask.

"You mentioned earlier you don't get along," Olivette said. "Why exactly is that?"

Alois

The next person was far from emotional. "Well, let's see. If the incident was finding the body then, before the incident I was with the rest of my traveling group and went to the library. I didn't really do much there, just kind of looked at the collection of books you guys had alongside the littler princess until we found that secret room thing. Then we went there, found the body, already dead and that's where Lute came in. From then we didn't really do much else but talk with the girl and then left the library. As for what happened after the incident, well," he gestured to the room around him. "This is the after."

After a few more of his questions, he ended it with a question of his own.

"Now I know you lot are the ones asking the questions here but, I have one of my own. If I may." He looked to Harris before asking, "the place where the body was found. How many people actually know of it?"

"Not very many," Harris answered readily, prompting an annoyed look from the leader of Sector Three. "Each sector has their own library, built sometime during the reign of kings, as a way to facilitate the spread of knowledge. However, they decided to create a secret room in every library as a place to store ancient and priceless documents. It is said that whoever could find the secret room would be considered worthy to read through the knowledge hidden within. Before today, only we of the council and a select few knew of this room." The man paused, smiling. "I think I have answered your question adequately, so I must ask you another. Why do you think that Sienna would have no reason to commit the act?" Hopefully this Alois would give a satisfactory answer, and perhaps if they got enough of such answers, it would persuade the other two of Sienna's likely innocence.

Penelope

The next person was equally, if not more, sharp. "This would depend on when the incident took place, I believe. If I were pressed to give an answer I suppose...before the incident I was traveling, entering the district, and heading for the library. Once in the library I began gathering books for perusing. Which, for the record, I would certainly like to get to after all this. After the incident we discovered this seemingly secret passageway that led us to..." Penelope paused uncomfortably. "the body."

When she brought up Lute's possible involvement, the other council members turned to Harris. "You didn't mention this!" Silas accused.

"It's...a long story, but rest assured Lute is innocent," Harris said.

"Still, it would have been nice to know. We should question her afterward," Olivette said. "As well as the guard, Tullus."

Ugh, more time spent on this useless operation, Harris thought. Already sure of Sienna's innocence, he would rather time was spent on finding the actual murderer than all of this nonsense.

"Anything else?" the girl asked.

The council members looked at each other. "No, that should suffice," Harris said, letting out a sigh.

Asura

The next person was barely involved, if at all, it seemed. "I didn't even know an incident happened. Everyone except our nurse went to the library. I got hungry, so I went out to get food. I then discovered that our nurse had been robbed and injured, so I carried her back to the library to regroup and get her treatment. Next thing I knew, a guard told me it became a crime scene, and that my group was being brought in for questioning. And now I'm here." By "nurse," Harris assumed he meant the first girl, the one who started to yell at all of them.

At his last words, Silas leaned forward. "You say she is afraid of humans. How does that help her case? Fear has been a motivation for many deaths in this world," he steepled his fingers. "From what it sounds like, that only gives her more of a reason to have done this."

"That's enough," Harris said. That question would do nothing but antagonize the witness, not tell them anything new. It was nothing but Silas' personality getting in the way of things.

"No it is not. I would like to see how this oaf would explain that," the old man sneered.

Edrick

Next up was the Pontic. "Before the incident I, with the rest of the group, arrived in the city. Two of us, the Locrisian swordsman and the...injured girl, went off to purchase supplies and, so far as I know, that is what they were doing the whole time. The rest of us went to the library to look for information while I spoke to Princess Catriona about the specifics of our purpose there. Sienna, the Protean girl, came and alerted us to the existence of the secret entrance and told us that she smelled blood at the bottom. We went down the stairs, saw the murdered girl, and then that arrogant...sage, Lute, came and had us arrested, and here we are."

He answered a few more questions, after which Olivette asked a question that startled Harris. "Do you think that either one of the two who went shopping might have had a hand in this?" While the woman didn't actually believe this, she was curious as to whether the others might think so. "Suspicious timing that she came back injured at around that time."

"Who or what do you think did this?" Harris asked. Lute had said a few things about this person, and it seemed he had his own ideas on what exactly happened. This could be helpful once they determined Sienna as an innocent and set their heads to finding the real suspect.

Sienna

Then it was the suspect herself who came in. "Well... I was coming into the sector with the princesses' group... We split up into one group that headed to the library and one group that was supposed to get supplies. While in the library I stumbled across that secret doorway and alerted my friends about it... I was already afraid from the scent of blood and when I saw the body... I felt like I was going to puke..."

She answered their questions nervously before having an outburst at the last one. It wasn't nearly as emotional as that blue-haired girl's had been, though.

"I would like to know more about your tribe," Harris leaned forward, intrigued.

"She's probably lying about them," Silas scoffed. "I think a better question would be," he slapped his hands against the wooden railing he was facing, "Why is it that you keep denying what we all know to be perfectly true?"

"Silas--" Harris found himself interrupted yet again.

"No don't 'Silas' me," the man snapped. "You heard what I said earlier about fear. The suspect has plenty of reason to have committed the deed. A Protean, all alone and afraid--"

"She wasn't alone though!"

"You think a few days of company is enough to change a lifetime of bad habits? Not to mention she's a fox--they're famous tricksters and known liars."

"This is all conjecture," Olivette cut in. She looked at Sienna, reading the emotions written on her face. From what she had seen, it was...unlikely that the girl did it. However, she had to make absolutely certain. "Girl, if you are innocent, swear so on the Great Dragon," she commanded. A swear on either the Great Dragon or the goddess was a binding oath, and not one made lightly. While there was no magic associated with it, superstition made most hesitate to do such a thing if there was deception involved.

Catriona

The elder princess was the last to enter the courtroom, still musing over what Ciela had said to her. Stone-faced, the girl answered all their questions to the best of her ability, summarizing the events of the last few days in succinct points, as well as explaining her connection to Sienna, the girl's character, and ability.

"I think," she finished, looking directly at Olivette. "That the ultimate decision is up to you. Harris believes Sienna innocent, Silas believes her guilty. What do you believe?"

The old woman chuckled. "I believe," she said, "That we have a few questions of our own. You said earlier that you trusted Sienna, but why is that? Why did you let her join your group, and why do you defend her after only a few days?"

--

The axeman hadn't been having the best of days, one could say. First it was that dratted portal, almost like a tear in space, and now this. Following after Princess L'Arachel, he had found himself separated from her soon after. Rennac had disappeared as well. In a strange land, and likely a strange world, he couldn't help but worry. Worry that he'd miss out on his princess' first sally into this world to cleanse it of evil. He wasn't sure if it had monsters or not, but if it did, Princess L'Arachel would find them!

"Excuse me, erm, that is..." a nearby knight coughed, before speaking up louder, but still not very forceful, "What seems to be the problem? Is there...something I can do?" the man kept an eye on the axe as he spoke.

The green-haired man paused. "What?!" he asked. "Speak louder, man! Like this! Gwah ha ha!" every word came out in a roar. "And what am I doing? Why, searching for Princess L'Arachel of course!" a tear dripped from his eye. "She's probably busy scouring the land of evil as we speak, and I can't even see it for myself. Soon this land will know of her legend."

"As to what you can do," he said, turning to Gunther. "You can help me look for the princess! You'll know her as a suspicious young woman in fantastic garb, a green-haired battle princess! Come, laddie!" he started to drag the knight along as he walked, peering into houses and streets. "You won't want to miss Princess L'Arachel in action!" He seemed to think of something, stopped, and looked at the blond. "Does this world have any monsters or evil beings? Because that's where she'll be," he asked, uncaring of what conclusions Gunther would come to after such a question. "Ooh, I forgot to introduce myself. Ha ha ha, how sloppy of me! I am Dozla, and I fight better with breakfast than without!"

[spoiler=OOC]

Once more, continue with the back-and-forth. This time, if you want your character to storm out in a huff, feel free to do so (after answering the questions first, though).

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois was quite intrigued to hear about the whole thing regarding the secret library. It just meant they didn't look hard enough to find the information in the previous sector, but hey, if they found it here that just meant they were worthy to read whatever was in there. While this thought crossed his mind, he didn't think this was the best time to bring it up. After all, there was a time and place for everything. While there was no new light that was shed about it, it was a secret room in a library, it did lower the list of potential suspects. Unless there were more people they didn't know about that knew it. After his question was answered, he was then asked another question. Scratching his head, thinking about it, Alois then said, "aside from her acting being far more afraid of us then we are of her, which I know doesn't really hold up, I just can't think of a reason she would do it. Let me just go over the most likely scenarios that would be a cause." 

"First off, we have senseless murder. Killing just cause, and hiding the body so that she wouldn't have been found out. That doesn't really make much sense since we were traveling with her for a few days prior to this, and if she wanted to just kill us in our sleep and leave without anyone doing anything about it, would've been really easy then. Second case is that she was found out as a protean. Doesn't make sense since we figured it out from about the moment we met her and, as I said before, kind of had a good number of opportunities to kill us anyway. Hiding the body in general also doesn't make sense, since she's the one who lead us there in the first place. The final reason would be self defense, but I don't remember the victim having any kind of weapon on or around them when we found it."

"The how is also pretty unreasonable to think as well. If only a few people knew about this place, which I'm sure she wasn't one of, she couldn't have actually planned to hide the body there. We were only in there for like, an hour tops, so unless your hiding place was so easily uncovered she couldn't have planned to hide the body there. Which means that in that time frame, she found this person none of had seen prior to the murder, found your secret library, somehow coaxed this person down an incredibly ominous staircase, lead her down there and then killed her right there. Oh, and I guess left the scene of the crime so that she could tell us about it. All in all, it seems really unlikely and convoluted to execute." If Alois was asked how he was so certain that she was killed in the room and not before, he would simply say, "because there was no blood or anything except on the body itself." With his testimony finished he said, "anything else?" 

"Insolent girl! If you had any notion of patience, then we might have had the chance to ask that. In any case, you have only proved that you are nothing but an immature brat, regardless of whether you were involved or not!"

"Big bark, wanna bite? What are you going to do, convict me to cover you and your men's incompetence? Let's just get back to the topic, but thanks for telling us the obvious, but isn't it like a pot calling the kettle black?"

After her outbursts earlier, Ciela had calmed down a bit as she had expressed her pent-up frustration before the three. Of course, her anger and frustration towards Silas remained, and as she answered the old coot's own outburst, her words were still laced with spite. Defending herself was not something that she had in mind anymore. It's not like she had to defend herself against anything. The more she could spit on Silas' face now, the better. He's even more irritating than her father - at least her father tried to hide that he was a scum in front of people.

"You have adequately answered our questions to the best of your ability, though your manners could do with some improvement."

"Yeah, you're right. But tell that to him too- wait, I forgot old geezers can't change anymore, he'd just be a waste of time." Ciela attempted to sound less hostile in front of Olivette, but even then she couldn't resist throwing further childish retorts towards Silas. Ciela knew she had a bad attitude, and as much as she tried to get better at that, she was not in a mindset to actively do so now, nor she had any wish to while she was still in the vicinity of the Sector Three's head councilman. Olivette then continued her question, not seemingly too fazed by Ciela's reply.

"You mentioned earlier you don't get along, Why exactly is that?"

"Uh..." Ciela paused for a bit. That moment was really shameful to her, and outright admitting what happened could make them see her as ridiculous and...pathetic. But...if she said anything wrong here, they might figure out something to properly convict Sienna, as much as there was not enough evidence to do so for now. After the brief pause, Ciela relented, accepting to just say what really happened back then.

"I just...don't really get along with carnivores well...I mean...bears, wolves, foxes, they're really scary. When Sienna first transformed before our group, it was so surprising. I was scared, and...I fell from my partner's back, wounding my legs that would later lead to why I'm crippled now."

She didn't raise her voice when she said it. It might not be a reasonable answer to the councilmen, but that really was why she had a hard time getting along with Sienna. Something about her scared her, which Ciela rationalized as her being a large carnivorous animal. Might be inaccurate, but the fact remained that Ciela feared Sienna due to her nature. She knew very well that the girl was not someone that would perform murder like this, so Ciela tried her best to word her sentence so that most of weight was on her in being one-sidedly scared with her transformation.

"I...I can't anymore. I'm leaving."

Realizing that she was starting to appear weak and pathetic before the councilmen's eyes, Ciela decided that it was enough. She had nothing else to say to them aside from further insults towards Silas. She didn't care about further questions, at that point they would just reaching for anything that they could use to declare Sienna guilty. As she crawled towards the exit of the hearing room, she turned around one last time before continuing her way towards where everyone else were.

"I don't even think I defended Sienna or myself at all with what I've said as the answers to your questions. I don't know and don't care about how would you somehow figure out her innocence from these questions, but go ahead if you want to imprison her if you find any arbitrary reason to do it from what I said. Go ahead, schedule her execution already.

Even if she's innocent, it's not like any of you would feel anything. A murder happened, someone needs to be punished. Go ahead and convict the rest of us too if Sienna didn't satisfy you enough. It's not like this would be the first time people get punished and executed for barely any reasons, we won't be anything special. But hey, as long as you can sleep well at night, knowing you have executed the "murdered" and her "accomplices", right?"

x393wz.jpg

BFLQwJB.png?1

x393wz.jpg

"You say she is afraid of humans. How does that help her case? Fear has been a motivation for many deaths in this world. From what it sounds like, that only gives her more of a reason to have done this." Asura cursed under his breath. This old man was twisting his words. No wonder why people hated politicians.

"That's enough," Harris spoke up. Maybe it would work and he could leave...

"No it is not. I would like to see how this oaf would explain that," the old man sneered. Of course not. Asura took in a deep breath. Inner peace, inner peace. He couldn't lash out here, although he could feel his hand subconsciously reach for his sword. Swords and stones shatter bones, but names can't hurt you.

"Alright, I will. It was my own fault anyways, I obviously wasn't being clear enough," Asura stated as he put his hand to his side. "You're absolutely right. Fear, especially of the unknown, has caused many deaths. It's easy to rationalize that because someone is different that they're evil," After all, and what's more different than a girl that can magically turn into a fox? He shook his head. "But that's not all fear can do. Fear can cause an entire city to lash out at any outsiders, even ones not from the nation they so despise. It can also cause people to wrongly accuse what they consider easy targets. After all, it's scary, thinking someone from your own city, one you believe needs to keep itself away from all outsiders, is a killer,"

"Anyways, when I first met the accused, she believed we would skin her for her fur and eat her meat. Instead of lashing out, trying to kill us, she curled up, like a small child would when hiding under their blanket. And heck, she's afraid now. Why wouldn't she be? Has she lashed at and tried to kill any of your guards?"

With a tired sigh, he turned to the other judges. "Is there anything you two would like to ask me?" He asked, stressing the fact he was not answering any more of Silas's questions. In fact, he might ignore him from now on.

aonB0Ia.png?3

Penelope skipped away from the room; satisfied that she won this round.

lcmI449.png?1

"Speak louder, man! Like this! Gwah ha ha!"

Gunther cringed at the man's words, having not expected such a loud and bold response. He couldn't help but glance around, embarrassed, at the people who were now looking towards the two.

"And what am I doing? Why, searching for Princess L'Arachel of course!" a tear dripped from his eye. "She's probably busy scouring the land of evil as we speak, and I can't even see it for myself. Soon this land will know of her legend."

Right, of course, scouring, Princess, sure. Gunther was beginning to think this man might not be all there. Perhaps he ate some of those plants that Penelope told him about days ago.

"You can help me look for the princess! You'll know her as a suspicious young woman in fantastic garb, a green-haired battle princess! Come, laddie! You won't want to miss Princess L'Arachel in action!"

Gunther yelped a bit as the large man dragged him, though he couldn't help but be impressed by the strength required to do so. Gunther knew he had to find a way to help the others but, even though he was doubting it more by the second, this Princess might be of some help.

Plus, he couldn't very well let this crazy man run around the city on his own. Especially with that huge axe....

"Does this world have any monsters or evil beings? Because that's where she'll be. Ooh, I forgot to introduce myself. Ha ha ha, how sloppy of me! I am Dozla, and I fight better with breakfast than without!"

Gunther flinched a bit, at the question, and said the first thing that came to mind. "Pontics. Goddess worshipers. They're the closest things to monsters I know of." He said darkly. After a pause he responded to the introduction. "I'm Gunther...and I don't fight very well no matter what I ate."
He chuckled humorlessly, trying to move past the bitter moment. "This is not a great method for finding someone....One of my...companions works for the City Guard, maybe he'll know where your...Princess went." With that said, Gunther headed out to find the inn that Link went to rest at.

r7ubDCK.png?1

"Link, I order you as your princess, to find us an inn and rest up there. With rest, I believe you can do an even better job as a warrior.”

Link wasn’t sure which was worse, trudging through the crowded street of Sector 1 in search of an inn. The Princess sending him away to fetch them an inn and then sleep, or being reminded that he had no part to play in their quest? Princess Catriona―one of the people he was supposed to protect at all cost, someone he had served with―thought he wouldn’t be able to properly perform his duty, and had been forced to take time out of her busy schedule to find him (not that he was far away) and confront him over it.

Someone bumped into his shoulder roughly, and Link caught a glimpse of a man in a toga before he slipped past him and disappeared into the crowd in a hurry. “. . . . ?” He didn’t say much, just stood there for a moment, wondering as to what the circumstances were that the man needed to vanish so quickly. His gut feeling told him that only a person running from something would move like that, head angled away from anyone who glanced his way and his pace just fast enough not to draw any unwanted attention.

Link had grown accustomed to similar mannerisms during his time as a city guard, but something about the man was different than what he was used to. It seemed to Link that the man was on an entirely different level than those petty thieves he had dealt with. Comparing him to them would’ve been like comparing a child with his first toy sword to the Garou Regiment. Arrows to javelins.

He shook his head. No, he was probably just seeing things. There was nothing special about that man, aside from that odd-looking toga he wore. Link’s intuition wasn’t trustworthy, not anymore. Or maybe it was? He had guessed that he would be sent away by Princess Catriona, and that had happened, so maybe he wasn’t so far off with this.

It probably didn’t matter. He needed to focus on finding them an inn, like she had asked. He would at least do that right.

9yfCxBL.png

Link remembered the arrangement the group had used in the inn at Sector 3, with the princesses sharing a room, Asura and Edrick sharing a room, and Gunther and Alois sharing a room. The arrangement would have been fine to recreate, if it hadn’t been for the additions of Ciela and Sienna.

This would’ve been easier if it wasn’t for the innkeeper’s kindness. He was a portly old man with a big, bushy white beard and permanently flushed red cheeks, but there was a youthful twinkle in his eyes that made him seem a lifetime younger, and he was definitely eye-catching, outfitted from head-to-toe in red-and-white. The hat on his head actually bore quite a resemblance to Link’s own, but it was red, with a fluffy white cotton ball adorning the top like a rabbit’s tail.

He reminded Link of something, but he couldn’t put his finger on it, and he was preoccupied trying to figure out the room situation. The innkeeper had asked him to write down the names of all his companions, as well as what rooms they would be staying in, so he could make sure everyone made it to where they belonged safe and sound. A kind gesture, but it proved to be a thorn in the green-garbed soldier’s side.

Finally, Link got his brain working enough to write down everyone’s names in his (very) slow script.

Pri Catreeona and Ceela. The eldest princess was the only one in the group he could think of with enough patience for Ciela.

Penilopey and Seaina. Partially because they were the only remaining women, but also because Princess Penelope seemed to have a lot of questions for the… fox-girl? That was still hard to wrap his head around.

Gunthor and Aloys. Link put them in the same room mostly because they had managed to not kill each other before, and if Edrick started preaching…

Asura and Edrick. Asura was the person most likely to not immediately antagonize him.

Finally done, Link retired from the main room as quickly as possible. He was embarrassed about his handwriting, because it had taken the innkeeper several attempts to read, and knew that he had probably misspelled all of their names. Rusl taught him to read and write at a basic level, but spelling had always been his downfall, and he hadn’t worked at it in years.

He chose to take Catriona’s advice and rest up in Gunther and Alois’ room, because it was the closest, but didn’t disturb their beds. Instead, Link went over to the corner of the room and passed out with his back against the wall, sword propped up beside him so he could reach it if need be.

"I would like to know more about your tribe," at least that was a question Sienna could answer perfectly.

"Well... We're a relatively large tribe that makes its home in the Pelinna Forest. We prefer to stay neutral in the affairs of humans... But if traders happen upon our village we offer any at all hospitality to them... And-" Sienna would've continued if not for Silas interrupting her.

"She's probably lying about them, I think a better question would be, Why is it that you keep denying what we all know to be perfectly true?" Sienna flinched a bit when Silas hit the railing as he seemingly shouted out his question. He wouldn't even let Harris stop him. "You think a few days of company is enough to change a lifetime of bad habits? Not to mention she's a fox--they're famous tricksters and known liars."

"My tribe and I are not liars! What would you know!? You probably have never seen a Protean until now!" Sienna shouted back at Silas, was this the ravings of an old man or someone who actually had something against Proteans? Sienna didn't know, but the other voice of reason in the council along with Harris brought everything back to order.

"Girl, if you are innocent, swear so on the Great Dragon," swear... On the Great Dragon? Whatever Olivette wanted out of this question was beyond Sienna, but she needed to prove that she wasn't a killer.

"I... I swear by any god, goddess, or dragon that you humans worship that I am innocent... I would never murder someone... I would never kill out of cold blood... I swear..." Sienna bowed her head at the end. There was something that was bothering Sienna though, she wasn't very strong physically so she wouldn't be trying to maul someone if anyone, instead she would... Thats it!

"W-wait! I got some proof that it wasn't me that murdered Anna..." Sienna reached into her satchel and pulled out her beaststone. "Despite my size in my beast form, I'm not terribly strong when it comes to close quarters situations... Instead I rely on the fire I create to attack and defend myself... Tell me, don't you think the body would've been in a more charred state if I had done it? Something to think about..." Hopefully that was enough to even throw Silas in a loop.

ljMHWp9.png

His answer of course led into more questions. That was alright. It wasn't anything that was too awkward to worry about discussing, even though he was guessing at something that Silas might be interested in asking him based upon the looks he was getting from the councilor. In any case, Olivette had posed a question.

"Do you think that either one of the two who went shopping might have had a hand in this? Suspicious timing that she came back injured at around that time." She was no fool, much as he had expected. In the event that he ran afoul of her, she would be an enemy worthy of respect and decisive handling. It was suspicious that Asura and Ciela had returned around that time, especially with the latter of the two severely injured. That said, there were reasons for him to give the answer he did.

"No, I do not. We would have seen them entering or leaving the library. Asura may be quick enough to enter, kill someone, and leave before we noticed, but Ciela would have dragged behind. Not to mention, the state of the body did not match any weapons either of them have in their possession." It was a rather grim thing that he, like most Pontics, was quite familiar with many ways that someone could end up dead and what they looked like. As it happened, the Galtean-loving Councilor was the next to question him.

"Who or what do you think did this?" An apt question. He thought back to the scene of the crime, the body torn apart and surrounded with fresh blood. Mauled, but not chewed on. It was a strange thing to see. Most predators, even if they were just trying to kill something, went to bite their quarry's throat. And once it was dead most would try to eat some of it. The state of the body didn't make much sense to him, and so he stood there thinking for quite some time before he had a proper answer to give.

"No human. The marks were more like what you'd see from the claws of a big cat or a large canine, but I don't think it was anything like that either. If it was you would still get some mauling, but you would also expect to see bite marks somewhere. Either on the throat, or on her arms if she lifted them to cover her face and neck. Most predators try to kill their prey with a quick bite to the neck. I suppose that the markings could have been caused by a certain creature from my homeland that I doubt needs any explanation, given its role in the last war, but we are a long ways away from Pontus indeed. So to answer your question, I think either someone's trained wolf or mountain lion mauled the girl. Maybe it could have been a Protean, I don't know if they tend to bite when they kill someone, but for reasons I have already stated I do not think it was Sienna." He fell silent after that, both to give the councilors an opportunity to further question or dismiss him and to give himself a chance to further gather his own thoughts. As it happened, something occurred to him then and there.

"Do you have any questions for me, Silas?" He turned his attention to the old man he had been antagonizing at their first meeting. "Perhaps something regarding my family? Before you do, allow me to offer you this: I am my Father's son and my Uncle's nephew, but I am also my own man. Do not assume that you know me if you know them, and do not assume that you know them because of what they did in the war." This time he turned his gaze towards Harris, and fixed him with a stare that made the young man seem much, much older than he was.

Ciela

Silas was becoming exasperated with the young cripple in front of him. She hadn't been one of the original few he had met before, but she had been one of the ones to make a mess of his sector. Her smart remarks weren't helping things, either. "What's a waste of time is trying to get anything useful out of a useless lump," he snarled. Harris sent him a look at that, one he refused to acknowledge.

"Uh..." Ciela paused for a bit as she answered Olivette. "I just...don't really get along with carnivores well...I mean...bears, wolves, foxes, they're really scary. When Sienna first transformed before our group, it was so surprising. I was scared, and...I fell from my partner's back, wounding my legs that would later lead to why I'm crippled now."

Silas' eyes lit up. "See? Even one of the group is afraid of her. I say we just lock the fox up and be done with it."

"And I say you're jumping to conclusions," Harris snapped.

"I...I can't anymore. I'm leaving." It was at this point that Ciela started to crawl out the door, before turning back and scolding the trio.

Harris looked guilty at her words, while Silas just looked angry. "Where do you get off telling us off? If you only listened to your elders more, then you might just learn a thing or two. You Galtean nobility are all the same, and don't even try to deny it, girl," he sneered. "It's as plain as the hair on your head. Looks like at least one of you survived the extermination. Well, aside from--"

"That's enough out of you," Harris warned. "All you've been doing so far is antagonizing the poor witness." He shot a sympathetic look at Ciela. "My apologies, miss, but rest assured we are doing all we can to get to the bottom of this matter."

And then the door closed. Ciela would find herself in a hallway, with another door at the end, which led to a lounge of sorts, lit by large glass windows that let in the late afternoon sunlight. The walls were marble, as were the floors, but tartan rugs, which a keen eye would identify as Balfonese, gave the place a warm atmosphere. Plush leather sofas and chairs were arranged in a horseshoe shape around a glass-covered table, upon which were placed a dozen goblets and a decanter of wine as well as a pitcher of water.

After Ciela left, the councillors exchanged looks before summoning the next person.

Alois

Alois scratched his head as he answered, laying out his facts nicely and explaining his reasoning. Harris was impressed, and hopeful that the fighter's words would go far in swaying the others to the obvious conclusion--that the girl was innocent, and they needed to be looking out for the real murderer, one who had, alarmingly enough, managed to not only find the secret room, but also murder an innocent person and frame somebody else for the deed, and pretty convincingly at that.

"Anything else?" the boy asked.

"No, nothing," Olivette said, giving him a rare smile. "You have given us much to think about, boy. Thank you." And with that, the trio dismissed him.

Alois would find himself in the same room as Ciela, though he would be stopped by Hilarion on the way. "I'm watching you," the guard said. "Don't think this is over. The city square, at sunset. Be there or be square. I mean be at the square or you're a square yourself," he stumbled over his words before resuming his glare. Making a last "I'm watching" gesture with two fingers, he returned to the courtroom.

Penelope

The councilwoman would not be nearly so happy once Penelope left the room. Rounding on Harris, she fixed him with a stern look. "You will bring in both Lute and Tullus for questioning after this."

"No arguments," Silas stressed.

Harris sighed. "All right, all right. Though I doubt it will do much good. I know for a fact that Lute is innocent."

"Regardless, it is best to make sure," Olivette intoned.

Asura

Silas seethed as Asura spoke, not-so-subtly insulting him and his sector at the same time. However, it was the myrmidon's later words that had more of an effect on the other two. "So she curled up instead of fighting? Interesting..." Olivette mused.

"Is there anything you two would like to ask me?" he asked, looking to Harris and Olivette in particular.

"No, nothing more," I think I gathered enough information, both on the suspect and on you, Olivette thought. This myrmidon was a wild card, and from her perspective, a likely suspect, given his suspicious absence and circumstances. However, he looked to be the dependable sort, and not one to murder someone behind others' backs. His staunch defending of a girl he barely knew spoke volumes about his personality. A bit naive, but good-hearted.

Edrick

Edrick's answer was enough to satisfy Olivette, who settled back with a smile. His next words were enough to alarm the others, particularly Harris, though his finishing ones were what did it for the councillors.

"I knew it," Silas said grimly. "I have no love for the Winter King, but neither do I have any for the Dragon of Pontus, nor Stronghammer." He settled a beady-eyed gaze on the boy. "So long as you do not cause a ruckus within Ithome, I am fine with you. Then again, you have already caused two."

Harris, who had so far been treating him with genial favor, now looked upon him with a mixture of fear and outrage. "I cannot believe that Princess Catriona has allowed you to accompany her, unless you have used some of your Pontic goddesscraft on her. Either that, or she does not know. I will make sure to inform her. Guards, escort this fellow to the--"

"Stop," Olivette stated, her voice soft but firm. "You heard the boy. Blood isn't everything, and his origins are neither here nor there. While his circumstances are interesting, they have no bearing on this questioning."

"You don't know that!" Harris argued.

"And you do not know that they do," she replied. "Please, calm yourself. One matter at a time, and, his origins aside, this boy's words are fair." She was starting to think that Sienna was innocent, as were her companions, however she would like to know how this motley group had assembled, and for what reason. Still. One matter at a time. "Thank you for your input. You may leave, and not to the jail-cells," she addressed the last words to Harris, who looked highly reluctant to let the boy go free like this.

Sienna

Olivette nodded to herself after Sienna finished. Yes, this girl was innocent of the crime. And then she brought up a point of her own, causing the council to think. However... "You do realize that a favored weapon is no indication of guilt or lack thereof?" she pointed out.

"Still, it is something to keep in mind," Harris said. "Thank you. You will hear our verdict soon. Dismissed." He was still angry after hearing about Edrick's origins, so his words were clipped and short.

Even Silas started to look thoughtful near the end, though he still looked incredibly peeved.

Catriona

Catriona thought a bit about her answer before speaking. "You may scoff at this," she said, mainly to Silas, "but I believe that it is important to trust your instincts, and what they tell you. Mine told me that Sienna would be a valuable ally. The old man I told you about, he seemed to think so too. I do not normally take such heed of the words of strangers, but his words had a powerful aura about them. He had such conviction in them, there was no way he was lying. And, right here, right now, my instincts are telling me that Sienna is innocent."

Silas started to laugh outright after this. "Ha! Hahahaha! What sort of answer is that? Because you feel it? I see the blood of Augustus has worn thin indeed."

Harris shot the man a sharp look. "Or it is as strong as ever. King Lysander was a man known for his heart. He could tell at a glance whether somebody was lying or telling the truth to him."

"I believe," Olivette said in the pause after Harris' words. "That Sienna is innocent as well. There is something to be said for instincts, and much more to be said of inferred reasoning. I rely on the latter, and evidence points to her being innocent."

Even Silas looked grudgingly accepting of that. "Yes, that may be so, but it doesn't change the fact that this group is a menace to society. I cannot accept that they walk free from this unpunished."

"What is your goal, anyway?" Olivette asked, ignoring the old man. "To have brought together such an...eclectic group, to be away from Galtea and the border wars, there has to be a reason."

"Yes, to have accepted Stronghammer's own flesh and blood at that," Harris scowled.

"Stronghammer?" Catriona asked, taken aback. "What do you mean? What does he have to do with this?"

"You do not know? Your Pontic friend has the blood of Galtea's great enemies running through his veins."

"I...I did not know," the princess replied, subdued.

"If I were you, I would kill him where he stands. No doubt he would do the same to you at the earliest opportunity."

"You men. It's always violence with you. You start out swinging toy swords, and you end it swinging a real one," Olivette rasped, shaking her head. "There has been enough violence already, too many families dead on both sides. This could be the beginning of the end of it all. Regardless, I would still like to know what has caused you all to group up so."

The princess, swallowing down her unease at this recent discovery, explained the nature of their quest as best she could.

"Well," Harris said, looking at the other two councillors. "I'd say that's a compelling enough reason. The goddess' return could spell doom for all Mysia."

"Indeed. If this girl's words are to be believed," Silas sneered. "Which I highly doubt."

"Unless he has turned his back on his religion, I do not see why this Edrick would travel with you, but that aside," Olivette stood up. "If your words are true, then this is indeed a disaster-in-the-making."

"That is the question, isn't it? Sienna may be innocent of this particular crime, but you are still responsible for the deaths in Sector Three. I say this. Prove that you are more than just ruffians, and we might be willing to help you."

"Speak for yourself," Harris snorted. "I for one, am willing to believe them wholeheartedly."

"And I," spoke Olivette. "Believe this girl's story too. There has been news of increased activity on the Pontic border, and an...unsettling occurrence near the old goddess chapel. Though I would rather your words be false, no offense," she told the princess.

"In that case," Harris said, "I give you leave to explore the secret room. There will be scrolls there pertaining to the Great Dragon, and I think a few in particular mark their location."

"That would be a logical assumption for one who doesn't know all the information," the group started at the sudden, and familiar voice, accompanied by the doors swinging open by themselves dramatically. Vanessa grinned discretely at this. And in strode Lute. "However I had the brilliant forethought to investigate the scene of the crime myself and I discovered that there were missing scrolls. The very scrolls that should have given information on this great dragon."

"How very...suspicious," Olivette cast a sharp look at the purple-haired woman.

"It is good that we thought to replace the originals with copies, then," Harris said, seemingly unaware of his fellow councillor's suspicion toward the woman. "Unfortunately, the original scrolls for this particular bit of information have become far too eroded to inspect without damaging them beyond repair. However, I remember bits and pieces from them." He took a deep breath. "After the goddess was sealed away, the Great Dragon retreated to Histia, where they later guided the first few kings of this country. However, they eventually settled in the Dran Mountains, and hasn't been seen since."

"We have our suspicions though," Olivette continued. "Their location is said to be north, past the Pelinna region, a largely uninhabited stretch of land."

"First, you'll have to get through the forest. Which will be a trip and a half," Silas remarked with glee. "I'd wish you luck, but I don't. And if you can't survive the woods, then you sure as hells won't survive the goddess. If she really is returning," he finished, voice dripping with skepticism.

Catriona bowed her head in thanks, ignoring the bite of Silas' words. "I thank you for your aid. Is there anything else you wish to say?"

"Nothing except good luck and watch out for Pontics. Specifically that one," Harris said.

"You might ask the Pelinna Patrol for help getting through," Olivette advised. "They make it a point to aid travelers going through that place, as well as clear it of the more dangerous foes. And with that, dismissed," she said. "Your friends are waiting for you just beyond this door," she gestured to the exit.

"Tullus--I mean Vanessa will guide you all out," Harris amended after a sharp glance from Olivette.

With one last nod, Catriona departed from the room. Soon after, the trio would question Lute and Tullus on what they had seen as well as their circumstances, but that would do little more than alleviate any lingering suspicions toward the duo. Meanwhile, the princess entered the lounge, greeting everybody, though her reaction to Edrick was warier than usual. "Good news," she said. "Sienna has been cleared of suspicion. We're free to go." She waited a little for their reactions to die down before speaking once more. "They also told me where the Great Dragon is. North. Past the Pelinna region."

The Pelinna region was a stretch of land that divided Histia in two, where the Dran Mountains curved inwards. It was known for being mostly wilderness, but rather beautiful, marked by a coniferous forest and a crystal clear lake. It was because of this place that the northlands were mostly uninhabited, as so few people would put forth the effort to go through so much for such uncertain gain. Hardly anybody except for the Pelinna Patrol even went near that place, save the odd traveler or two.

"So that's our next destination," Catriona finished.

--

Gunther and Dozla soon found the inn they were looking for. The jolly, overweight innkeeper readily answered their questions. "You looking for a boy in green?" he asked. "Hoho, he came right through here. Looked tired though. You say his name is Link? Because he didn't put that name down. Maybe he forgot?"

"Gwa ha ha, he probably did! Where are the rooms, innkeep? We'll just head on over if you don't mind," Dozla said.

"First on the left after you reach the stairs. You can't miss 'em. I think he went in the third one," the innkeeper pointed out.

"Thanks! You've been very helpful, ha ha ha!"

"Oh it was no problem at all, ho ho ho!" the man replied.

The two laughed together for a moment before Dozla followed Gunther upstairs. "He said the third door, right? If the lad's asleep we should just walk in!" his voice was very loud and very noticeable even from within the room.

[spoiler=OOC]

Sienna has just been declared innocent! Not only that, but the council has just told the group the vague whereabouts of the Great Dragon. Feel free to write out the remainder of your character's time in the courtroom, what they did in the lobby while waiting for the others to get done, any interactions with other characters they might have had, and their reaction to Catriona's news.

Meanwhile, Gunther and Dozla are right outside the room Link is in, and Dozla is being very loud.

ljMHWp9.png

Edrick found himself surprised. Not because of Harris' reaction, he had been expecting him to start calling for his head as soon as something like that came out...which he more or less did. No, he was surprised by how Silas responded to the revelation of his origins. He was really far less hostile than the...well he was not so much a farmer any longer now was he, had expected. Of course the glower he was receiving was still enough to show that there were some hard feelings between them. In any case, he had a few words to say to Silas specifically after the councilors had shouted at him.

"I will do what I can to avoid being assaulted by thieves again, though I will defend myself if that should happen. Believe what you like about that situation, but what would I have had to gain by randomly killing people in the street? In any case, I will endeavor not to be caught up in any more trouble unless it should somehow find me...or I should find a man who came into ownership of a red roan mare  about six years old with a splotch of cream on her left flank. Assuming that she is the one that was stolen from me." He gave a slight nod of his head to Silas, and then turned his attention to Harris. He had time for a few more words before he left. "And you would do well to know that my uncle Eragon and my father Roran were born on the banks of the River Lyonesse in the shadow of the city of Rassex...Pharaon as you likely call it. You would also do well to know that it was a band of Galtean soldiers who started the violence there by burning down the Chapel of Inera in the town they called home, along with the priests and deacons inside of it. And those same soldiers saw the rest of the town in flames by nightfall. Whatever you want to believe, at least do yourself the dignity of understanding history." With that, he inclined his head slightly to the councilors, and bade them farewell in his native tongue. "Fie ca Zeita acordati o viață lungă și o moarte bună."

Some time later, after the others had all been questioned, Catriona found her way into the room where the lot of them had been waiting. As much as he didn't want to admit it, Edrick was exhausted and enormously grateful when she returned. That meant that they would be able to find whatever Inn Link had booked rooms for them in and get some sleep. Of course he was still aware enough to pick up on how she was eyeing him more warily. It took him a moment to understand, but when he did he nearly slapped himself across the face. Of course Harris would have told her about that. It only made sense for him to do it, considering he thought of the young man as a threat.

"Good news, Sienna has been cleared of suspicion. We're free to go." Well that was actually good news. He'd half-expected Harris to send word with her that he was going to be thrown into a prison somewhere, but then again he at least had the other two to balance out that man's hate. "They also told me where the Great Dragon is. North. Past the Pelinna Region. So that's our next destination." That would be quite the journey indeed. Edrick hadn't passed through the Pelinna Region on his way into Histia, but he had heard of it. If he recalled, the map he had with him labeled it with "here be monsters" or something to that effect. Regardless, it promised to be a perilous journey. Perhaps even moreso if the group did not trust him. So, it seemed the appropriate time, to him, to do something about it all.

"Well, that's quite a journey, in length and danger." He managed a smile and a few laughs at it, mostly to try and get past his own nerves. There really would not be any turning back after he said that. "So, since it seems our fearless leader has learned something about me that I'd hoped to reveal on my own terms, I'll just get it out to the rest of you myself." He paused again, looked each of them in the face, took a deep breath, and finally jumped right on into it. "My name is Edrick Roranson. My father is Roran 'Stronghammer' Garrowson, and my uncle is Eragon Garrowson, The Dragon of Pontus." He let those words hang in the air a moment, before adding a bit more. "I'd really like to have just stayed 'Edrick,' but I guess that ain't gonna happen."

"Thank you. You will hear our verdict soon. Dismissed." Sienna breathed a sigh of relief, no more questions, her own question could've gone better though. She bowed to the council members and left the room.

The lounge area was quiet, everyone that had been questioned were waiting around for the news, was Sienna innocent or guilty? Catriona came back with the news. "Good news," she said. "Sienna has been cleared of suspicion. We're free to go." You could see tears of happiness in Sienna's eyes. "I'm innocent? T-that's... That's wonderful!" Sienna just felt like hugging the nearest person to her, and Penelope was that lucky person.

"Oh... Sorry..." Sienna took a few steps away from Pen, that was a bit too close for her most likely.

"They also told me where the Great Dragon is. North. Past the Pelinna region. "So that's our next destination," Pelinna? That was where Sienna's tribe was.

"Hey, my tribe lives in that region. The forest is where we mostly settle at, but the rest of the area is beautiful..." Sienna might actually get a chance to see her tribe, it has been a while. Surely if the group passed through there her tribe would offer any assistance they could.

aonB0Ia.png?3

Penelope was waiting around for the results. There had been others waiting as she came out but she didn't know what to say. She wanted to know how it went, but, they'd learn that soon enough. She soon got bored, and antsy, as she wished for a book to read. "If only SOMEone had held onto the books like I asked." She said, pouting a bit.

Eventually Catriona came out and gave them the good news and the even more good news.

She was suddenly hugged by the fox girl, a feeling that Penelope hadn't expected. As Princess, she hadn't often had such close contact with people. As Sienna pulled away Penelope responded the only way she could.
"Well, good to see this wasn't a waste of time. Though, had we gone here first, perhaps..." Penelope stopped herself, not wanting to start a fight right now. "Anyway I'm glad that you didn't kill anyone, Sienna. Though, did you know, 10% of all not guilty charges turn out to be false?"

Before she could process the rest of the information, Edrick came up with a confession of his own. Penelope paused. She new those names. She knew how dangerous those two were to her people. They had killed so many Galteans even just on their own, not to mention their influence. What would she do with this information? How should she proceed? Logically, in a tactics standpoint, she should cut her ties with him. If there was even a chance he'd betray them, especially after the things he said, and his combat strength wasn't such they would lose out that much...

Penelope glanced at the armor she had practically forced him to wear, remembered the conversation during, and she couldn't bring herself to think like that. It might be a failure as a Tactician but she had to do what felt right.

She turned to him, a glint of anger in her eyes. "Why...Why....Why don't you even know how to wear armor then!?"

After a moment she, purposefully and symbolic of her decision to trust him, turned her back on him and spoke to Sienna again. "Your help would be appreciated....Maybe I can be the first to discover the workings of those stones!"

lcmI449.png?1

"Hoho, he came right through here. Looked tired though. You say his name is Link? Because he didn't put that name down. Maybe he forgot?"

Forgot, no, Link probably just was trying to stay hidden, a smart decision. Though, if he put the Princess' names... "Excuse me but could I check the names?" Upon seeing the horrible spelling, Gunther breathed a sigh of relief. No one but the Princesses themselves would be able to recognize this as their names. It seemed Link had thought of everything.

Gunther stayed silent while the two....cheerful men spoke. There was an odd resemblance between the two, Gunther noticed.

They reached the correct door pretty quickly. Gunther debated what to do. Link getting rest would be good, as he's their best fighter, but what did he come here for otherwise?

"He said the third door, right? If the lad's asleep we should just walk in!"

Gunther cringed at the volume. He didn't like that idea but, well, he would expect someone as alert as Link to have heard that and been woken anyway. Gunther cut in front of the man to make sure he didn't charge in first and knocked. "Um, Link, it's...er, me....Gunther." He said, and stepped inside...

In silence, Ciela waited for the rest of the group to arrive on where she was waiting. The room's interior incite some form of annoyance to her, but for the time being she was unsure about why. Thus, she chalked it to just her still being easily irritated after the encounter with the council. It was so infuriating, she was barely able to contain herself. On the verge of breaking apart into a long winded rant at any moment. It became so unbearable that Ciela had to force herself to think of pleasant things to not storm back into the meeting room. Though, she didn't have that much pleasant things to think about.

Well, except Remy. She could think about him all day long. Her worry started to grow as she realized that she barely paid any attention to him so far. She was too preoccupied with her own thoughts and issues to make sure that whoever handled him now paid extra attention to him. Remy definitely would feel worried about her too. She felt a little guilty about it, and considered to go outside to have a little chat with him rather than staying in the room. Even if she had no idea where she was right now, it wouldn't be a big deal with enough willpower. It's not like the others would wait for her anyway, and the only worry would be if the guards stop her in her tracks. But even as her thoughts dismissed even that, the others started to come after their session, culminating in Catriona bearing the good news.

"Sienna has been cleared of suspicion. We're free to go. They also told me where the Great Dragon is. North. Past the Pelinna region."

Great Dragon? Wait, why would they seek it out? Ciela was looking confused. So was that the actual goal of the group? Why exactly would the Great Dragon interest Catriona and the others...and why did they have a worshipper of the goddess around if they seek the dragon out? But before Ciela could ask any questions, said worshipper of the goddess started to speak and revealing another surprise for her.

"My name is Edrick Roranson. My father is Roran 'Stronghammer' Garrowson, and my uncle is Eragon Garrowson, The Dragon of Pontus."

"...You must be kidding me."

As much as Ciela metaphorically lived under a rock, that name was one she definitely recognized from what she heard from people and her mentors. She was quite neutral about the figure in particular, but having his nephew around...how did Cat even gather these people, anyway? Next Asura would reveal himself as the long lost first son of the chief of a forgotten Locris Tribe, or Alois perhaps would reveal that he was actually Catriona's cousin or something. Moreover...it furthered the question about why exactly Edrick tag along with the group in the first place. Cat didn't seem to be interested in eliminating the Great Dragon after all...

"...This is a bit too much for me to process. Just...who are you guys actually and what are you guys going to do now anyway? No...maybe don't answer now. I'd rather if we can get a place to rest now. And uh, congrats Sienna for not being a killer. I hope the real killer won't appear tonight in our sleep or something."

Whether she'd get kicked out of the group or not, right now the group itself felt like it suddenly became more and more alien to Ciela. Even if she wasn't with them for long, it kind of felt that she was in a different group altogether now. Her head hurt, everything about today was still something she was barely able to comprehend. Ciela wished that she was on Remy's side now. Even in this incomprehensible world Ciela at least would still understand the fact that she's safe if she's near him.

r7ubDCK.png?1

. . . .

"He said the third door, right? If the lad's asleep we should just walk in!"

. . . .

Link jolted awake to the thunderous voice in the hallway, and instinctively, he rolled, snatching up his sword as he did. His breathing was hushed, breath hitched in his chest, and his bloodshot eyes were wild and panicked. Where had the voices come from? he wondered. Where was he at?

Outside the door. He was inside a room at the inn.

No one else was inside the room, meaning that the rest of the group hadn’t arrived yet. Or that they had been caught by surprise before they got to the rooms. That meant… whoever was out there was responsible. Link pulled his sword, silently sliding the sheath across the ground to make sure they didn’t know he was awake. Surprise was the only thing he had on his side against whoever had apprehended the rest of his company.

He knew he shouldn’t have left them unguarded. But… what had happened to Gunther? The boy hadn’t seemed to be the most trained guardian (leaving Link to wonder why he had been assigned to guard the Princess), but that armor of his would make him a hard opponent to deal with regardless, and his heart had been in the right place.

. . . .

"Um, Link, it's...er, me....Gunther."

. . . .

Link hesitated at the sound of the voice. Gunther was with them? Had he betrayed the princesses? No, that didn’t add up. He had nothing to gain from doing so. Was he trying to warn him that he was in danger? If that was the case, Link’s respect for the younger guard rose. That was dangerous to do in front of an enemy.

The Galtean soldier knew he was out of time when the door started to open, and squared his shoulders, tightening his grip on the hilt of his sword with both hands.

Gunther would immediately be confronted by the sight of Link when he stepped inside, sword brandished cautiously in front of him. His eyes were still bloodshot from his sudden wake-up call, his mien still bearing the signs of sleep deprivation, but in that moment he looked every bit the Garou warrior he used to be.

“What’s going on?”

x0mgaxu.png?1

Being dismissed from the area, Alois simply turned around and walked his way out. With a confident smirk on his face, feeling satisfied with how he had spoken during that time, Alois was sure that if Sienna were convicted for murder it would definitely not be his fault. However, his smirk soon faded as he met with his current object of torment. As the guard seemed to grant him a challenge, meeting him at the square by sundown, Alois couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at the man's declaration and departure. Alois couldn't help but hold back a small laugh at the man before saying, "what a square." And with that, he walked back to the room where everyone else had been waiting. 

Not much happened after that, as the group slowly funneled one after another into the room, with Cat being the last of the crew to leave the council room. Upon her entrance, she said that Sienna was deemed innocent of her crime. Well, good to see that the council both was able to listen to reason and that everyone else had similarly been able to provide reason. To make matters even better, their quest to find the Great Dragon was one that furthered as they now had a new place to go venture off to. Well, all's well that ends well and such. Yet the issue of who the murderer of the woman was was still unsolved, and he couldn't help but feel a slight sense of dread about that. Yet, shaking that feeling away, the group was then brought with another reveal. Apparently Eddy had been related to somebody known as the "Dragon of Pontus." Alois was familiar with the name, and knew that they were some kind of military figure, though to the revelation the boy could only say, "neat." 

The fact that a child of such a famous person was amongst them seemed pretty unbelievable. However, having those kind of ties only made him stick out more as a likely enemy of theirs, so it really didn't make sense to lie. This meant either Eddy was telling the truth, or he lacked some form of common sense in his lying. Either seemed equally likely, both seemed to effect equally as much as well. Which is to say, it didn't really unless the other group members had an issue with it. And as it turned out, the other group members had already seemed to be willing enough to trust him, so Alois made no further comment. 

With the whole situation done with, blue head seemed to be confused about what they were even trying to do, and while Alois was about to remark about it, she seemed to dismiss herself anyway. Well that was no fun. However, Penn made a comment about being the first to discover the secrets of the stone, to which Alois then remarked, "unless Ms. Almost Everything has already figured it out herself." Looking to the group in general he said, "well as much I love being in these council house whatever places, we gonna get going now or what?"

x393wz.jpg

BFLQwJB.png?1

x393wz.jpg

Asura sighed to himself as he left the room. Well, that was a complete waste of his time. He hoped they never came back here. Still, he was curious as to who actually committed the murder... He should kill that person for wasting their time. Then again, he was quite sure the group wouldn't like him murdering someone. They would probably get dragged back here and it was not worth the hassle.

Afterwards, he waited for the others to return, and at the end, they learned that Sienna was declared innocent. Seemed like those judges weren't completely moronic after all. Then Edrick apparently had a confession, being descended from a Dragon that lived in Pontus or something. Asura's deep philosophical answer to this earth shattering revelation was a flat

"Who?" he had no idea who that was.

"Well as much I love being in these council house whatever places, we gonna get going now or what?" Alois asked. Asura nodded in agreement. He wanted to leave, and leave now.

"Do you think it wise...to place our trust in them?" Silas asked the other two councillors. "So far, they have proven themselves...less than worthy."

Harris harrumphed, still thinking of that Pontic boy and his words of farewell.

"And you would do well to know that my uncle Eragon and my father Roran were born on the banks of the River Lyonesse in the shadow of the city of Rassex...Pharaon as you likely call it. You would also do well to know that it was a band of Galtean soldiers who started the violence there by burning down the Chapel of Inera in the town they called home, along with the priests and deacons inside of it. And those same soldiers saw the rest of the town in flames by nightfall. Whatever you want to believe, at least do yourself the dignity of understanding history." With that, he inclined his head slightly to the councilors, and bade them farewell in his native tongue. "Fie ca Zeita acordati o viață lungă și o moarte bună."

"There might be a couple bad eggs among them, but I believe in the princesses," he said. "Though I don't like not sending soldiers to help them."

"They will find help aplenty among the Pelinna Patrol," Olivette reassured. "And if we draw too much attention to them, we might end up doing more harm than good. Catriona told us that she had been kidnapped by Pontics, and they might still be after her. Still..." she trailed off.

"What is it?" Silas asked, recognizing the look on her face.

"I think...yes, that'll work nicely."

--

Catriona had much to think about. For one thing, Ciela's words to her from before. Though she hadn't had time to respond, they rang in her mind. "Cat...I...I need to say this appreciation to your old man. Perhaps one day, can you pass this message that I'm thankful of him for getting rid of someone from my life? Although, it's fine if you don't want to pass it or if you can't. In that case...I'll express my gratitude to you instead, as his daughter."

Whatever would a Pontic have to be grateful to her father for? She couldn't imagine, but she would have to ask the girl at a later date. For now, they had a bigger problem.

Edrick.

She hadn't been fully sure of Harris' words, not until the boy admitted it himself. "So, since it seems our fearless leader has learned something about me that I'd hoped to reveal on my own terms, I'll just get it out to the rest of you myself. My name is Edrick Roranson. My father is Roran 'Stronghammer' Garrowson, and my uncle is Eragon Garrowson, The Dragon of Pontus. I'd really like to have just stayed 'Edrick,' but I guess that ain't gonna happen."

The white-haired woman had been surprised by her sister's actions. Purposely turning her back on the boy, a show of trust. Her hand inched toward her scabbard at that, but she stopped herself from completing the action, eyes trained on the boy warily. Ciela seemed confused by what was happening, something she would have to rectify. In all the chaos, the princess had forgotten that the troubadour had been absent during her explanation. Alois took it in stride like usual, and Asura didn't even know who those people were.

Catriona, on the other hand, was very much aware of them. She had been told horror stories of the two, both as a child and as an adult, before bedtime and on the battlefield. No, there was no way she was letting down her guard.

And yet, Edrick had saved her life.

But he didn't know my identity at the time, she argued internally.

He knew it later on though, and he did nothing. He has had plenty of opportunities to backstab me during this trip, but he didn't.

Her fear warred with her accumulated trust. Remembrances of Edrick's prone body covered in wounds, rolling down the stairs while drunk, his willingness to stick with them even when he learned of their goal. Eventually, the princess walked forward, staring the Pontic down. "If you cause any trouble for us, I won't hesitate to kill you," she said, her voice cold and flat. "You have proven yourself trustworthy so far. Don't give me reason to regret that trust," with that said, she retreated, glaring at the wall. A part of her regretted this decision, urging her to kick him from the group immediately. The other part, her gut, told her that this was the right thing to do. It, like Edrick, hadn't let her down so far, so that ended up being the impetus for her decision.

Still, she knew that neither Link nor Gunther might be nearly as accepting of this choice. Which worried her, as this might be the wedge that would drive the group apart. In the end, she would have to keep an eye on all three of them to prevent any possible clashes. Her head started to hurt just imagining that. Maybe I should just kick Edrick out and save myself the trouble...though it'd be more troublesome if he were to go against us in any way after that. Honestly, it's best to just kill him. Still, she had made her choice, and she wouldn't back down from it.

It was only then that she remembered what Sienna had said. "Hey, my tribe lives in that region. The forest is where we mostly settle at, but the rest of the area is beautiful..."

"Really?" she asked, interested. "We'll be relying on you then, Sienna. And yes, I think it's time to leave," she replied to Alois' question.

Soon after, Vanessa appeared, guiding the group out of the city hall. She was silent, but not in a hostile way. Rather, in an efficient way. She gave off the feeling of the "perfect soldier." Like Link, the princess thought with a trace of worry. The sooner they got to the inn the better.

After leaving the building, Vanessa bowed to them once before returning inside. A nearby guard led a familiar white horse over to them, which Catriona helped Ciela climb up. Without any further ado, the princess turned around, leading the group past the plaza, her pace increasing when she noticed the darkening sky. "Link already booked us some rooms. All we need to do is find the right inn." They soon found the right building. As they stood in front of it, however, Ciela pitched a fit atop of her horse, cursing a thief for a...missing bathtub? Catriona glanced at Asura. "What is she talking about?"

Soon after, the girl declared that she would go shopping...again. Most likely to buy another bathtub. While not a very practical way to spend her money, the princess wouldn't begrudge the girl the few luxuries they could afford. Still, it wouldn't be right to send her alone this time, even if Asura had ended up following. "I'll go with you," she said, before turning to the rest of the group. "We should be back soon."

Heading down the thoroughfare toward the marketplace, Catriona was silent for a while before speaking. "You are confused, and rightly so. I admit that it slipped my mind, but you don't even know of our quest." She took a deep breath before continuing. "The goddess has been...revived. Partially. It is my duty to stop her from doing so fully. However, I cannot do anything alone." She shook her head helplessly. "That is why we seek the Great Dragon. With their help, we might be able to stop Her."

--

The Polar Express was an inn known for its fine food and fine beds. Their owner was fond of red and green, so the tablecloths were bedecked in those colors. The walls were white marble like most of the buildings of Ithome, but tapestries hung over most available surfaces, depicting scenes of snowy forests, flying deer, and even one of the goddess, arms spread wide in joy. At the moment, it was filled with guests, most of them chatting about the recent crime. When the party arrived, they drew many curious eyes.

While Catriona and Ciela walked toward the market, the rest of the party would find themselves greeted by a jolly, roly poly innkeeper dressed in red and white. "Ho ho ho, and what a merry evening it is. Would you by any chance be related to Link?" After an affirmation, he would show them the guest list, and their...interestingly spelled names. They would also hear a distant bellow from above, something about a L'Arachel.

--

Upstairs, Dozla chuckled at the sight of the hardened warrior, seemingly unaffected by his bloodshot stare. "Gwah ha ha! Looks like you need some sleep, laddie. The name's Dozla, and Sir Gunther here was telling me you might know where Princess L'Arachel is." He paused to let him answer, before hitting his head in realization. "Ha ha ha, here I am asking you before even describing her, though you would know if you saw her. A lady on a white horse, very brave, with green hair. I'm her retainer, you see, and I lost track of her when we fell through this strange rip." He didn't seem to realize how strange his words sounded.

The trio would distantly hear the booming voice of the innkeeper below mentioning Link's name.

Archived