Albums/Tracks of the Year

.Rai

2015 has been a pretty good year for music in my opinion. Compared to 2014, stellar. Your favourite albums and songs of the year?

For me, noteworthy albums in no particular order:

- M3LL155X EP, FKA twigs

- To Pimp a Butterfly, Kendrick Lamar

- In Colour, Jamie xx

- Currents, Tame Impala

- EMOTION, Carly Rae Jepsen

- Art Angels, Grimes

- The Epic, Kamasi Washington

- Have You In My Wilderness, Julia Holter

- Elaenia, Floating Points

- A Head Full of Dreams, Coldplay

There's a hell ton of releases that I need to go listen to as well from this year. Great album year. Great year.

Tracks-wise, Drake's Hotline Bling, Floating Points' Silhouettes, Justin Bieber's Sorry, Jamie xx's Loud Places and I Know (It's Gonna Be Good Times).

The only album I can agree on there is To Pimp A Butterfly though I wouldnt put it on my top favorites list.

As of now my favorite album is definitely:

Coward_by_Haste_the_Day.jpg

With this in a close second

cover326x326.jpeg

Close contenders:

Make Them Suffer - Old Souls

Abigail Williams - The Accuser

Horrendous - Antares

Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages

Soilwork - The Ride Majestic

Loma Prieta - Self Portrait

mewithoutYou - Pale Horses

No Devotion - Permanence

Senses Fail - Pull the Thorns From Your Heart

Ghoulgotha - The Deathmass Cloak

Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Loads of good Death Metal this year, still have yet to listen to new Dodheimsgard, Boris, Darkspace, Children of Bodom, and a few others too probably.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Dr Dre - Compton

The Weeknd - Beauty Behind the Madness

The Game - Documentary 2.5

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

Jamie XX - In Colour

The Internet - Ego Death

Vince Staples - Summertime 06

Pusha T - King Push: Darkest Before Dawn is dropping the 18th hopefully and it's gonna be on this list for sure. All the songs I've heard from it are seriously amazing.

Godly year imo. I still have so much left to listen to. I really want to get to that Carly album, as well as that Tame Impala project because I've enjoyed both of them before. Also that new JB was actually so good, even though I'm super biased because of that Nas feature. Also should get to FKA Twigs, I've enjoyed everything I've heard but never sat down for the project.

Honorable mentions to Adele, Drake, Jazz Cartier, Earl and some others.

god what a year for music

I 100% agree, I think the competition really started this year back in March when Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth released See You Again, then you see EVERYBODY step up their game

Pfft, See You Again was like a decent pop song, but probably had completely minimal impact.

The correct answer is To Pimp a Butterfly in terms of 'everyone stepped up their game'.

All but maybe 1 or 2 of my favorite artists released an album this year, which is insane. I think the only one that didn't was Vampire Weekend.

Anywhoo the albums that I bought this year were Coldplay's A Head Full of Dreams, BRADIO's POWER OF LIFE, Giorgio Moroder's Déja Vu, Monarchy's Abnocto, Madeon's Adventure, and The Wombat's Glitterbug. I also might end up finally getting the Passion Pit album since it's been slowly growing on me.

Out of those I think POWER OF LIFE is amazing. Though it's not like it'll make waves anywhere because BRADIO's a Japanese band. (though anime fans should know Flyers as the opening to Death Parade). My favorite song off the album is the first one, which is called "FUNKASISTA" or "Are you Ready to Take Off?" depending on where you look and it's KILLING ME THAT I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE.

Oh wait, here's the spotify link to FUNKASISTA: https://open.spotify.com/track/1nNm77QtXWpr9Ev8v0ZhHE

If not POWER TO LIFE, my favorite was far and away Glitterbug from The Wombats. When over half the tracks of a 13 track album get their claws in me deep, I know I like an album. Band hasn't had an album that's disappointed me.

I haven't heard the Kendrick Lamar album but after having seen everything from small time blogs to The Rolling Stone place it as their #1 album, it seems like the easy consensus pick for album of the year.

I know you mentioned the Mura Masa track in my thread. Didn't get round to responding to it, although I listened to it.

Good track. Wouldn't say best single of the year, but definitely a good track. I know that the BBC is repping Mura Masa quite a lot: I think he'll break out next year in the UK. Trendy, young producer and all that. Reminds me a lot of what Clean Bandit were doing like two years back, especially with the string arrangements and stuff.

Arguably too trendy in a way. Unarguably pretty production, but his stuff often feels a bit light, if that's the word? The hook of Love For That reminds me a lot of Hideaway actually. That anti-chorus, understated breakdown that's the vogue with all the future house, electro and garage producers on that scene.

I can think of two off the top of my head actually. There is the Jekyll and Hyde album from Five Finger Death Punch as well as That's the Spirit album by Bring Me The Horizon. Anyone else hyped for the two releases?

I never got into FFDP, I always found them too redundant. BMTH managed to surprise me with Sempiternal and There Is A Hell since I found their debut to be way too generic and thought their second album was mostly mediocre and started to fall in love with the direction they were going in but Thats The Spirit was a huge letdown to me after how great their previous two albums were.

Also now that Ive listened to them the new Abyssal and Fightstar albums are sick as well as the new SikTh EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS5Nlfc2MKE

Archived