Both Sides Now (IC/NA)

bury the year

"Courtney, please tell me you saw that!"

Courtney winced, even while watching it from the camera monitor. But, she also turned on her mic and spat back a response.

"We have code names for a reason!" She said, reminding him that they were on a mission.

Despite the slip up from Hummingbird, everything seemed to be going smoothly. The others had infiltrated, although they were not subtle. Still, progress was made. She thought everything was going swimmingly, until she heard Wil in the earpiece.

“Abandon previous instructions. Get in and wreck sheet. Disarm as many guards as possible. Subtlety is no longer an option. The doctor must’ve already been alerted to our presence without our knowledge. We’re on an accelerated schedule now.”

Well...sheet. She thought. Her thoughts were interrupted when she saw hastened movement from some new guards in the security camera. They were right outside the door. Immediately, one of them began pounding on it, trying to open it with blunt force. Somehow, they knew she was in there. They also lowered a pair of tacky looking green goggles. Courtney didn't know what they were, but she didn't want to find out. She turned invisible, just as the door smashed open. Standing totally still, she planned to sneak by...until all guns were pointed at her exact location.

"Freeze jabroni! These thermal sight goggles show us exactly where you are. Hands in the air, right now!" The leading guy said. Courtney tried to phase, but to no avail. She still had to wait another good minute. So it was time to stall. Her mic was still on, she realized she had never turned it off. The team must have heard the dialogue. Never mind that, it was time to stall.

"Well, damn. You got me. But how did you know?" She inquired, raising her hands and revealing herself.

"We won't tell you anything." He responded, approaching her slowly with a pair of handcuffs. All guns were still trained on her. She counted the seconds passing by, as she made it difficult to cuff her. 

"Hey, watch your hands! I am a lady after all." She said, acting extremely difficult. He finally got her arms behind her back and cuffed her, pressing the gun to the back of her neck and making her move out of the room, towards an unknown destination.

"Why not just kill me? What do you people want?" She inquired, counting the last few seconds.

"Silence jabroni!" He shouted, and after that, the entire team would hear a large crack, the sound of Courtney being struck.

"One." She said to him. Just as she did, the entire building shook as if an explosive was detonated. Instantly, she phased out, moving right through him. She also went invisible at that exact moment. Bullets began flying right at her, but passed through without so much as a scratch. She stood there, as their clips were exhausted. Once the last bullet was fired from each of their rounds, she moved in. She went for a low sweep, knocking the first guy on his ass. Following through, she kicked the second guy in the groin, as he tried hopelessly to shoot her. The third tried to punch her, but she blocked his strike and pulled his goggles. After stretching them to the max distance, she released them, delivering a satisfying crack as they impacted his face. She then smashed them with her feet, before taking the trio's cuffs. She cuffed all their hands together, while they were still recovering from the swiftness and shock of what had just transpired.

"Never hit a lady. I'll leave you three here, and who knows? Maybe you can have a menage e trois." She said to them, before leaving them there. She ran back to the surveillance room to get her handbag, then she sprinted up the stairs, where she last saw Wil. 

"Will-o-Wisp, I need your location stat." She said into her mic, looking for him on the second floor.

"Alright pal, you've got two options; either you can tell us where we find Dr. Friedell, or I can quite literally tear you apart from limb to limb!" 

"Yikes Bones...ease up on the guy a little."  Umbra flinched.  He knew that she wasn't going to do it, but her tactics were pretty intimidating.  Before they could get the info out of the goon however, a distressed call came up on their communication link.  

“Abandon previous instructions. Get in and wreck sheet. Disarm as many guards as possible. Subtlety is no longer an option. The doctor must’ve already been alerted to our presence without our knowledge. We’re on an accelerated schedule now.”

"Oh what the hell now!"  The clanking of guard boots could be heard coming from where they had all previously came from.  "There's no time for this, we need to find them and fast!."  Without hesitating, Umbra's shadow went down the hallway and spread itself from wall to wall, blockading the entirety of that single walkway.  "We gotta move, before these bozos catch up to us!"  Umbra made a mad dash for the other hallway across from them.  As the guards approached his shadow, they couldn't see past the black abyss illusion that the shadow gave off.  One brave soul walked up to the shadow, but a fist was thrown out from the surface, knocking him unconscious.  The rest of the guards laid on their trigger fingers, and with every bullet that hit it, Umbra flinched and seized.  

A large explosion then rattled the building, and Umbra lost his footing, and his concentration as well.  His shadow had began retracting at an incredible pace back to it's owner.  As soon as the guards got back on their feet, they chased after it.  

"Well..I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that was good ol' boomburst shaking things up."  

"Will-o-Wisp, I need your location stat."   Ghost said over the communicators.  Umbra decided to join in.

"We all need his location, stat!  What the hell is even going on!"  

UdxEqZU.png
Nothing. Bones had gotten absolutely nothing from this goon, and unbeknownst to her, she was running out of time. It looked like the goon was about to say something; from the look in his eyes, it might very well have been what Bones and the others needed to know. But then suddenly...

Angered by the sudden distress call, Bones slammed the goon against the wall, and dug her left claw right into the shoulder.

"No more funking games!" she spat, casting a look of pure venom at the goon, "Where... is he?!"

But still the goon was too scared to say a word. An enraged Bones pulled to the left with all her might, without releasing the grip on his shoulder. She was about to reassure him that the arm would be ripped clean off... but she gasped in shock as she felt her claw pull away from the rest of the man's body, which was spewing blood from where the left shoulder could be found. Bones had no intention of ripping the goon's arm off despite her threat; and certainly not so soon. But she'd forgotten to take into account exactly how much physical prowess the Dresden Marker was capable of granting. Alarmed by the goon's suffering and scared that she had caused an inevitable casualty, Bones dropped the goon's arm by his side... as if that would help matters in the slightest.

"H-h-here y-ya go... th-there's your arm b-back," the nerves in Bone's voice were obvious as she said this, before she slowly retreated, and found herself turning to Hummingbird, who was the only hero there now, "H-hey, how good at y-you at sewing p-people back up ag-gain?"

There was no doubt that Hummingbird could act fast enough. But whether he could competently solve the problem at hand was a different story...

“Abandon previous instructions. Get in and wreck s***. Disarm as many guards as possible. Subtlety is no longer an option. The doctor must’ve already been alerted to our presence without our knowledge. We’re on an accelerated schedule now.”

"We gotta move, before these bozos catch up to us!" 

Bruno sighed as he watched Tristan bolt towards... oh, right. THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE tHE f*** THEY WERE GOING YET. "I never want that bastard to say another word to me about sticking to the pl-"  The speedster began, only to be cut short by an explosion that rocked the building. Bracing himself against a nearby wall, Bruno noted that Boomburst must have made his own way inside before glancing over the wall of shadow that Umbra had set up to keep the guards at bay.

"Yo Umbra... you just busted your ass didn't you?" He spoke through his communicator whilst watching the  other boy's shadow dart across the hallway towards it's owner, leaving Bruno and Bones alone with the remaining guards as they attempted to follow shadow to it's source. Shifting his gaze towards his female companion, Bruno arched an eyebrow before sighing once again. 

"No more f***ing games!" The girl spat towards her victim before slamming him to the floor. " Where... is he?!" Did she not realize that his buddies were coming to beat their faces in? "Bones... you can play wolverine when we get home. Get your head in the gam- ahhhhh f*** it. I'll do it myself......" Bruno grunted with annoyance before suddenly vanishing in a flurry of movement that raced towards the guards.

Now very much agitated, Hummingbird made short work of the mercenaries. Using his speed, the boy quickly darted between his foes, slamming them roughly into the walls with impossibly fast kicks before stacking their unconscious bodies in neat heap in the far end of the hallway. "Hope the doctor didn't pay you gentlemen in advance. Because you guys suck..." Bruno mumbled to one of the fallen guards before grabbing the last of his energy bars and ripping it from it's wrapper. 

Slowly walking over to Bones, Bruno noticed that the girl was deathly pale, and that her victim was screaming much louder than before. "Alright, enough is enough." He reached out to grab the girl by her shoulder, but was surprised to see her spin around on her own. "H-hey, how good at y-you at sewing p-people back up ag-gain?"

"..."

Still chewing his snack, Bruno moved Bones aside to inspect the damage. She had actually ripped the poor bastard's arm off, huh? "You're kidding, right?!" He growled to the blonde whilst shooting her a exasperated glare. Shaking his head, he turned his attention back to the screaming mercenary and watched for a moment as the man desperately tried to stop the bleeding by himself. There was no doubt in Bruno's mind that he would bleed out if left like this...

Sighing a third time, Bruno struck the mercenary with a swift back hand, knocking him out instantly. "Guys..." He addressed the rest of the team through his visor before moving closer to the fallen man and hoisting him up on his shoulder. With blood now flowing down his back, Bruno shot Bones another look before glancing down at the separated arm. Groaning, Bruno plucked up the severed limb with his free hand with pained expression.  "..... I'll be right back." He said reluctantly before shooting off towards the building's exit in his trademark black and green blur, leaving a small trail of crimson liquid behind him. "All things considered, this is still not worse than the time I had to run here with a bullet in my ass..." The boy spoke to his unconscious passenger as the pair dashed towards the nearest hospital.

Archived