Effect monster as a normal?

☪©h@ÐØÖk.exe☪

Question

13 answers to this question

Not really sure if it would work this way honestly.

You could always make them Normal Summon, ignoring the Summoning conditions.

Or just create your own rulings on the matter. You'll notice that you can Special Summon Ritual/Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Monsters with card effects even though they have the properties of Special Summon-only monsters, if that card effect specifically Special Summons a monster of that name or monster card type. That is, unless they actually have the Special Summon-only or "cannot be Special Summoned by other ways" text. This is because card effects take precedence over game mechanics, but not conditions written on a card. As such, I'd say that a Ritual/Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Monster that says it can Normal Summon itself should be able to, without ignoring any Summoning conditions, even though they're Special Summon-only monsters, as long as they do not also say that they cannot be Normal Summoned.

If you don't mind taking on more liberties, you can do what onii-chan said instead: Make them Special Summon themselves a second time, instead of using the Normal Summon. It's not that far-fetched; Spirit monsters are also Normal Summon-oriented, but when a Special Summon-only monster has that ability (Yamato-no-Kami), the conventional text for Spirit monsters changes to accomodate its Special Summon-only status. This could also happen for Gemini monsters to better suit the monster's card type. The Special Summon does not have to be free, so that you can offset the potential balance issues and pointlessness of a Special Summon-only Gemini monster that does not use the Normal Summon.

Damn the wikia X_X

1 "Paintress" Tuner + 1 or more non Tuner Normal Monsters
This card is also treated as a Normal Monster while is on the field or in the Graveyard. When this card is Synchro Summoned: Destroy all face-up non-Normal Monsters your opponent controls. If this card battles a non-Normal Monster, battle damage inflicted to your opponent is doubled.

The interpretation is good; since it "also" counts as a Normal Monster there is no confusion with the existence of the effect. 

As for the effects themselves, I'd say it is generally fine, looking at the Summoning conditions. However, since we don't know about the Paintress archetype, it's difficult to have a clear opinion, so I'd suggest that you start a topic in the Multiple section.

Of course.

Some Noble Knights have this ability, the new White Spirit Dragon and the old Simorgh, Bird of Ancestry. (I still find it hilarious that Wind Effigy's effect is useful ONLY for this exact monster, but whatever.)

It may be in wrong section

It probably is. The Q&A section is more appropriate, although it wouldn't be a problem (at least to me)  to just write it in the status bar.

So is it okay if i have a Synchro monster activates effects while being treated as a Normal Monster?

Of course not.

If it counts as a Normal Monster on the field, it's like there is no effect to use. That's why every monster that counts as a Normal Monster does it either if it's somewhere besides on the field or if something makes them be treated as Effect Monsters (Gemini Monsters do this by default).

Of course not.

If it counts as a Normal Monster on the field, it's like there is no effect to use. That's why every monster that counts as a Normal Monster does it either if it's somewhere besides on the field or if something makes them be treated as Effect Monsters (Gemini Monsters do this by default).

Synchro Monsters can't be Gemini, as they are Special Summon-only?

Archived