Haifuri (High School Fleet)

rDZB2LR.png

Living by the sea, protecting the sea, and journeying across the sea... They're the Blue Mermaids!

Because of a shift in tectonic plates around 100 years ago, Japan lost much of its area to submergence. To preserve Japan's territories, coastal cities sprung up, one after the other. Eventually, they became marine cities, and along with the expansion of sea-lanes to connect them, the need arose for a sizable staff to protect the seas.

At the same time, maritime jobs were becoming more popular among women. Hence, the Blue Mermaids, tasked with keeping the seas safe, had become every female student's dream job. This is when childhood friends Akeno Misaki and Moeka China enroll in a marine high school in Yokosuka, along with other girls who share their goal of becoming a Blue Mermaid.

More ship girls (not really). :D

[spoiler=This is very serious stuff right here][spoiler=Just in case you opened this before watching it and would like to do so before you see what someone says on the internet][spoiler=Well,]I guess they probably should have called in that they were being attacked before doing anything that would make it look otherwise. I assume they could have because the ship that was attacking called in that they'd been attacked. What I'm saying is only based on what I seen in the episode, as I don't really know anything about this stuff.

Maybe this is a carefully planned test to see what they would do in this situation. Sure, they were hurt a little because of it, but it could have been planned so there would be no serious injuries or anything. At least, I hope that's the case.

Even if the whole of Girls und Panzer only comprised of a competition and this does not (I never watched it, but at least it did for the manga), it was a very serious thing in the end (I won't say what the stakes were because spoilers). Probably not as much as what's going on here, but it isn't like it wasn't taking itself at all seriously. So while I was at first going to say, "Well, kind of," pri much.

[spoiler=Episode 2]If this episode is anything to go on, which it should be, it looks like the Harekaze isn't the only ship that's being attacked for what is (seemingly) no reason. Not that we know the other ship is being attacked just yet, but it seems like it. Probably should wait and see before making the assumption, though. Still hoping it's not the other possibility... a trap. *gasp*

EDIT: And I just remembered this, but the people back at the headquarters or whatchamacallit, it seems like they don't know why any of that happened, so I can hardly think that this was any sort of test anymore.

I must say, I expected Endride to be my second favorite this season and it is, but I expected my first to be Kuromukuro, which I still have yet to start (but I probably won't do so while it's airing). Instead however, this has unexpectedly become what I'm looking forward to seeing more of most so far.

Also, I apologize (even though I'm sure no one cared anyway) for not explaining what I meant by the last thing I said. What I would have added for the counter-argument that it's only "kind of" was that I didn't think Girls und Panzer had any serious plot. Then I remembered what the plot actually was and it was kind of serious. So it's similar in more than one way (at least a bit). You may think that was explained, but I feel like it wasn't fully. Idk, whatever.

Archived