Interesting Anime Protagonists

Off the top of my head, Kamille Bidan. I like that Tomino, compared to the writers of, say, SEED, seemed to understand that teenagers should realistically be flawed because they don't understand the real world like adults do, and Kamille was a shining example of this. Kamille starts off a selfish brat, his motivation for piloting the Gundam the first time to get petty revenge on some soldiers who were bullying him. But, over the course of the series, he grows a fairly disciplined, though still flawed adult. How? By getting his ass kicked over and over for his teenage nonsense and by dealing with the deaths of several loved ones.

Hachiman from My Teen Romcom SNAFU is something else entirely.

Most protagonists in school slice of life or romantic comedies take the form of some boring average guy to contrast with the colorful characters around him. Not Hachiman. He's cynical, jaded, and offers some strong insights and analyses on the social interactions around him. That, and for the sake of directly solving some of the problems he's been requested to take, he's not hesitant to get his hands dirty and appear as the bad guy.

Yes, the series excels with more complex character interactions that don't just involve Hachiman, but he makes a hell of a good impression from the start to indicate that the show's going to be unlike any other.

• 3 weeks later...

Not an anime, but a manga. Kenji Endo from 20th Century Boys. His seeming averageness is his uniqueness, IMO. Top 3 manga protagonists IMO.

Kenshin Himura was a really interesting anime protagonist for his time as well, I suppose.

The Medicine Seller from Mononoke always struck me as interesting, but favorite protagonists probably consist of the following (not in any order):

1. Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

2. Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)

3. Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka)

4. Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)

5. Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

6. Guts (Berserk)

7. Lelouch vi Brittania (Code Geass)

8. Kenzo Tenma (Monster)

9. Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)

10. Killua (Hunter X Hunter)

Archived