Most underrated boss battle

Thar

I'm just gonna go out and say it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDnfdxxsHw

Not only is this guy epic as funk, but considering what it all came down to, the context is just overwhelming.

This here is a game that was the response to a game that the fans were pissed at seeing at first. Let that soak in.

Wind Waker was what fans were looking forward to, but considering everyone expected a realistic, next-gen Zelda that would edge the funk out of the franchise, they were very disappointed with what Nintendo threw their way and caused a ruckus that even Nintendo wanted to redeem, hence the creation of Twilight Princess. How fortunate that both games would later become a success, but with the overall statistics of the ordeal, Twilight Princess unfortunately drew the short straw and ended up being one of the most underrated Zelda games in the franchise.

Meanwhile, I was one of the few who grew up in the earlier, if not first, eras of Zelda yet still managed to not even hear about the franchise until Twilight Princess was being played some time significantly after its release at some tabletop gaming store. I was fortunate enough to grab this game from a friend and play it through, but just from that playthrough of one of the easiest games in the franchise, I was floored at how much I had missed throughout the years.

That aside, this boss stands out to me in so many ways....

In a game that represents one of Nintendo's most successful and, imo, best franchises, out of all the games I've tried to play and appreciate, this game, let alone this boss, could not be matched. That being said, Bulblin made so many appearances in such amazing ways that I can't begin to describe just how impressed I was with his character throughout. The fact that he is classified as a sub-boss just astounds me in the grand scheme of things, cause this guy took more blows from the very blade that vanquished the ultimate evil itself than anyone else. Think about it, Link had the Master Sword before he took on the Arbiter's Grounds, where Bulblin took him on head on and took several blows only to limp away and set the base on fire. That, and one last stand at Hyrule Castle where Link was at his prime... only to accept defeat like a real man and hand him the key...

...seriously, this guy is truly admirable. Even if he was simply used as some cheap form of nostalgia towards the beginning of the game, this right here justifies a good villain.

To think all he was was some early plot device thrown in as an excuse for the progression of the game. I certainly thought so at the time, but after encountering him for the umpteenth time only to see him as such a badass... I'm at a loss for words.

Now, you'd think such a memorable villain would appear or have appeared in other games, right? Well... I'm quite shocked to say that while I wish he had appeared in any other game, he only appeared in Twilight Princess. I'm not sure if there's some kind of obscure reference to him that I might have missed, but from what I know, he only appeared in one game, let alone one of the most unappreciated ones, hence my bias for him being one of the most under-appreciated bosses in the series.

Anyway, discuss whatever bosses you wish you could see more appreciated.

I've always loved what I call "wake up call" bosses. If you don't understand the combat mechanics of the game by the time you get to them you're gonna have a bad time, but if you get it, that boss turns out to be very enjoyable. Off the top of my head, Blade Wolf in Metal Gear Rising, Elvis in God Hand, and the vast majority of doppelganger bosses.

I can't really choose one in particular, but a lot of Okami's bosses were really interesting, well-designed fights. Lots of ways they showcased the brush mechanic.

I agree with this... except for how the Orochi fight was repeated 3 times!!!  But, the boss fights in Okami are pretty well known and rated properly (My favorite was the Lechku and Nechku fight).

I think that Dream Team had some pretty underrated boss battles, but my favorite one has to be Corkscrew.  It was a very interesting display of the 3-D tech of the 3DS and the fight itself was fun.

Archived