Number Hunters (YGO RP/PG-16) Prologue: Awakening

ChampionZero

"Fine, Fine. We'll go. But you're paying for the haircut if my hair gets messed up." Hirai said as he stared at the large 28 in the sky. "Please don't tell me we're fighting a literal vortex. That would be so wrong on so many levels." Hirai sighed, as he stared at the card again. "Besides, I don't even know if you're real or not! You could just be some kid playing a joke to get back at me. There is nothing stopping me from chucking you off this bride right now." Hirai laughed at the card, then stopped "Why am I even laughing at a card... I should just chuck you off right now!" He got ready to fling the card into the lake beside him

lIfwpBH.png

“I'm going first; DRAW!!” the thug slashed the top card of his deck, and immediately slammed it down on his Duel Disk, “And I'll start by summoning Armageddon Knight in Attack Mode!”

A dark skinned armored man dropped onto the alleyway, his face concealed by a flowing red scarf and a pair of tinted goggles. In his left hand was a shield that appeared to have been made from all sorts of junk that seemed to be lying around, and in his right was a sword with a spiked handgaurd. The man stood straight up, assuming an aggressive posture as he stared his opponent down.

Warrior-type/DARK/Level 4/1400 ATK/1200 DEF

“With his Summon, I have to send a DARK monster straight from my Deck to my Graveyard, and I know just the one,” the thug took out his deck as he said this and, after taking some time to shift through it, managed to locate and pull out the very card he stole from Utemaro the prior night, holding it up smugly to see the anger in Yuria's scowling face, “Ya see this Dark Magician of Chaos? Gone. I'll also set two facedowns and... what the hell, I'll call that a turn.”

He shoved the card into the Graveyard Slot of his Duel Disk, and then picked two cards from his hand and placed them in his Spell & Trap Card Slots. Two backs of Duel Monsters cards were holographically projected behind the Armageddon Knight. Now it was Yuria's turn. She too slashed a card from the top of her deck, but before she even had a chance to act...

“Dark Scheme, go! This allows us to discard two cards, and draw two new ones to refresh our hands,” the thug explained, “Of course, you could be a total jabroni and negate the effect by discarding one, but... come on. Graveyard set-up and free cards. What's there not to like?”

Yuria grimaced for a few seconds. The hand that wasn't holding her cards was hovering over the Xiscerata Acari card, as it was the only card she really wanted in the Graveyard, and she didn't have a second copy as well. However, she needed to draw into a specific Xicserata in order for her plan to work. She knew the thug was up to something, but eventually decided to roll with what happening, grabbing Xiscerator Eremoba on top of the card she considered discarding...

“Whatever; I'll let it go through,” Yuria said after a brief sigh, sending both cards to the Graveyard, only to smirk as she drew into the card she needed, “I've another jabroni move I can do. I activate Soul Exchange, sacrificing your Armageddon Knight to Tribute Summon my Level 2 Xicserata Neobis!”

“WHAT??!!” the thug exclaimed in shock, “You can't Tribute Summon a Level 2 monster!”

“Um, with this specific one, yeah I can. And when I do, I can Special Summon any two Xicseratas, except for another Neobis of course, straight from my deck! And I choose Xicseratas Acari and Bardiida to summon in Attack Mode!” suddenly, three bugs had burst from the man's stomach and scurried over to Yuria's side of the field. One of them resembled a small tick, another a full-fledged scorpion and the last a spider with a skull and crossbones on its thorax.

Insect-type/DARK/Level 2/950 ATK/0 DEF

Insect-type/DARK/Level 2/600 ATK/0 DEF

Insect-type/DARK/Level 3/1300 ATK/0 DEF

“I'm not done yet! Since I have two Xicserata Tuners on my side of the field, I can Special Summon a second Xicserata Acari that I just so happened to have in my Graveyard thanks to your Dark Scheme,” Yuria explained, bringing forth a second tick-like monster to join its companion for the moment, “And then I Synchro Summon, tuning Xicseratas Neobis and Bardiida with both my Acaris to form Xicserata Helix Sweeper in Defense Mode!”

All four of the insects that Yuria previously had vanished from her side immediately. In their place, however, was a cylindrical machine that had many robotic tentacles streaming out of its back, and equally as many lights flashing in disarray at the front. It had a protective shell overhead, which looked to be horseshoe-shaped and near indestructible.

Machine-type/DARK/Level 9/2750 ATK/2900 DEF

“Oh, and did I mention Bardiida's effect?” Yuria asked mockingly, “Well now I am. Whenever it's used for a Synchro Summon, I can make you mill a card for each non-Tuner monster that I also used for that Synchro Summon. So that's two cards you have to mill! I'll end with a face-down. Your move.”

The thug grumbled as he picked up two cards into his deck and slid them into the Graveyard Slot, before drawing a third as the back of a Duel Monsters card projected itself behind the Helix Sweeper. This third one, however, the thug was clearly happy with, and had to thank Yuria for to some extent judging by the wide grin on his face.

“Heh, I've got some good news and some bad news, kiddo,” he stated, “The good news is that, thanks to your mill, I have a total of six DARK monsters in my Graveyard. The bad news is that I only needed five of them to summon this! I summon The Dark Creator in Defense Mode!”

A black hole materialized in front of Yuria and her Xicserata Helix Sweeper and, coming through it, a mighty humanoid being descended form the air and landed on his feet, causing a shockwave as he crashed onto the ground.

Thunder-type/DARK/Level 8/2300 ATK/3000 DEF

“And I immediately activate his effect!” the thug announced, “I can banish any DARK monster from my Graveyard in order to summon a completely different one from the same place, and I banish the Dark Simorgh you kindly milled to summon Dark Magician of Chaos in Attack Mode!”

Another black hole appeared right next to the monster that was just summoned, and through it come a blue-skinned sorcerer that landed softly on the ground. Unlike the other one that came before it, which had assumed a defensive position, this one stood straight up, staring his opponent down with a cold, blank gaze.

Spellcaster-type/DARK/Level 8/2800 ATK/2600 DEF

“With his summon, I can pick any Spell Card that happens to be in my Graveyard at the time just as I wrap up my turn, but hat's not all. I also activate Dark Eruption to bring back Armageddon Knight and, now that I have exactly 3 DARK monsters now, I can summon Dark Armed Dragon in Attack Mode as well, which I'll do right now!” as the thug said this, yet another powerful monster was summoned, although this dragon had its own method of arrival. Busting through the earth with its claws, the dragon heaved its own body up onto solid ground.

Dragon-type/DARK/Level 7/2800 ATK/1000 DEF

“And with 3 DARK monsters on the field, I can finally activate this card. Go, Dark Mambele!” the thug slapped a Spell Card... for a change of pace, into one of the slots next to where he placed a face-down card, “Say goodbye to your Helix Sweeper, cause this lets me outright banish it!”

“Oh no you don't!” Yuria immediately pressed a button on her Duel Disk, “I activate Dark Illusion! This lets me negate anything that targets a DARK monster I have and destroy the idiot card responsible. Nice try there, punk, but you won't go through my defenses that easily!”

“Alright fine, I'll banish Dark Nephthys from my Graveyard to destroy the piece of sheet with my Dark Armed Dragon!” the thug exclaimed, frustration obvious in his voice. Unfortunately for him, this seemed to fail too. He gritted his teeth, just waiting for an explanation.

“I did say that you won't go through my defenses that easily,” Yuria said in a smug tone, “Each turn you try and destroy my Helix Sweeper, the first attempt will automatically fall through, and it doesn't matter how exactly you try and destroy it either. Pretty handy for a wall if I say so myself.”

“Tch, you asked for it,” the thug snarled, “I overlay my Dark Creator and Dark Magician of Chaos to Xyz Summon... The Storm of Enigma, in Attack Mode!”

Suddenly, what looked like a gargantuan thunder cloud swirled around the two aforementioned monsters, enveloping the two of them entirely. Then, it began to rise, overlooking both Yuria and the Xicserata Helix Sweeper in a menacing manner.

Thunder-type/WIND/Rank 8/3200 ATK/1300 DEF

“...and I'll attack with it right now! Go Storm of Enigma, destroy that thing once and for all with Miasmic Lightning!”

A dark green thunder bolt shot down from the cloud, electrocuting the Xicserata Helix Sweeper and frying its curcuits one by one. Explosions emitted from the machine as each circuit was fried, before one final, massive one shook the earth before the two of them. However, Yuria wasn't phazed. In truth, she had one more surprise, as all the insects that were used for its Synchro Summoned immediately came back to life, all in Defense Mode.

“...the hell is this?” the thug scratched his head as he asked this.

“Neobis' other effect: Whenever you destroy a Synchro monster that I used it for, as long as you don't blow it up on the same turn as I summoned it in the first place, I can bring back everything that was used again, ripe for another Synchro Summon,” he furrowed his brow at this explanation from Yuria, wondering how he was going to stop the next Synchro Summon from happening. However...

“I got it! First, I'll attack that Bardiida with my Dark Armed Dragon,” the dragon easily destroyed the scorpion-like monster, before the thug moved on to his plan to rid the field of the other Tuner, “Next, I detach one Xyz Material from The Storm of Enigma; this allows him to summon any of my banished Level 7 or higher monsters to the field, as long as I banish it face-down at the End Phase. And I choose to Summon my Dark Simorgh in Attack Mode!”

Suddenly, a strange black bird flew straight out of the clouds and roosted on the battlefield before it. But it wasn't going to be around for long.

Winged Beast-type/DARK/Level 7/2700 ATK/1000 DEF

“And I'll overlay Dark Armed Dragon and Dark Simorgh to Xyz Summon Ravager of Darkness in Attack Mode!” having seemingly served its purpose, the Dark Armed Dragon disappeared along with the Dark Simorgh, and in their place was yet another humanoid being... though this one was more grotesque than the other one.

Fiend-type/DARK/Rank 7/2900 ATK/2500 DEF

“And I activate his effect,” the thug grinned an evil smile as he said this, “I detach 1 Xyz Material, and then it can banish a Level 4 or lower monster that you control or that's in your Graveyard, and on top of that, I can inflict damage equal to half the Attack Points of the monster I banished. And I choose that damned Neobis!”

A pulse of dark energy was shot from the creature's hand, vaporizing the poor Neobis and hitting Yuria square in the chest, propelling her backwards and into a nearby trash can. She struggled to get back up on her feet.

Yuria's LP: 4000 --> 3525

“I'll call that a turn, for now... oh, and I'll add Dark Mambele back to my hand,” as the thug ended his turn, Yuria assessed her options. She looked at her hand again, seeing nothing in it that could help her right now. She needed to draw into another Tuner monster that she could sacrifice either her two Acaris for, and if she left a single monster alive, the thug would only need to summon his Armageddon Knight and he'd have enough to activate Dark Mambele again and banish something important. Not liking her chances, Yuria slowly moved her right hand to cover her deck, in order to signify that she surrendered. But before she could make it official, a plume of familiar black smoke erupted from her back jeans pocket, forming a massive claw, and dug itself into her arm and pulled it away with an impressive display of might.

“EEEEK!! What the sheet?!” Yuria screamed, “Let me go!”

She tried to wrest her arm free from the claw, but to no avail.

Just as Hirai goes to throw the card off, he catches a figure in the corner of his eye. Sitting on his shoulder was a tiny version of the knight from the card. Wild black hair, black armor, black sword, the whole deal. He stood up suddenly.

If you do this, you will regret it! Someone else will find me and attain the power you cast aside out of doubt!

The creature holding Yuria's arm hissed, like a slashed tire. It sounded angry... and betrayed.

Would you really cast away your victory so callously? Your friend is counting on you to retrieve his card, and I will remind you of the terms this scum got you to agree to; if you lose...

The dark creature let the end of his sentence hang to make his point.

Yuria, you can still win this. You need to bring your Xizcerata Helix Sweeper back to the field and summon your Xiscerata Trapdoor Striker! Once they are both on the field, you can win this Duel regardless of the moves he makes. He is a thief, and must be brought to justice.

Meanwhile, a figure stood on the roof above the Duel, watching the two figures in the alleyway. He was so quiet that they never would have realized he was there, except for the little yellow light coming from his right eye. His silhouette was otherwise all that they could see, if they even noticed him.

"Hm. Looks like we've got a new addition to our plethora of powerful Numbers. I hope this one isn't as hostile as the last." He murmured to himself. With that, he fell silent again, watching the Number's phantasmal form persuade Yuria not to surrender.

Leslie emptied his backpack and grabbed some bottles of water and a few snacks. "Right, so we have no idea how strong this guy is, who else will be there, how many will be there, and if we go, we're all the more likely to get messed up. This is just senior prom all over again." Leslie threw the backpack over his shoulder and quickly put on both his Gazer and his Duel Disk as he went out the door with Nightmare Shark in hand, opting to take the stairs instead of the elevator. "Right, so I don't have my car on me, so it's either walking or the bus." He flew down the stairs and ran through the lobby, bursting out of the front door. Leslie ran a hand through his hair. "Well this is just a bucket of piss. So I'm all alone in this?" He ran over to the bus stop outside his dorm to get another look at the bus schedule.

Oi now, you ain' alone!

Nightmare Shark chuckled. Suddenly, a fish swam into your vision. But it wasn't a fish, it was some kind of shark mermaid (merman?) about 30 centimetres tall. It was just circling your head like a-- well, like a shark.

You go' me, dontcha? Maybe we can tawk some other Numba Huntas into a team-up! He said.

Let's go let's go let's GO~!

Axiom sounded particularly antsy as he/she rushed Jacob out the door. Then Jacob saw her. A foot tall, floating orange person with the Koa'ki Meiru symbol on it's chest. If you were to wager a guess, you'd say it was a she, albeit a tomboy.

Hovering alongside Haruka's head was a soldierly, humanoid figure, wearing armor that made him look like one of her Crimson Momentum monsters. Granted, he only stood 12 inches tall.

What's the holdup, lady? He growled, pointing at the vortex in the sky. That isn't going to stay open for long!

As he says this, Haruka becomes aware of a vibrating in her chest. The vortex was powering her pacemaker!

lIfwpBH.png

Yuria's arm was still under the Number's grip, and she tried yet again to wrest it free to no avail. And then suddenly...

"Would you really cast away your victory so callously?" it asked in a somewhat spiteful tone, "Your friend is counting on you to retrieve his card, and I will remind you of the terms this scum got you to agree to; if you lose..."

'Don't you even dare!' Yuria was having none of it, and growled as this came to mind, 'And why do you even care so much anyway? It's only a game; just as that bastards conditions are only words, and you're only a voice in my head that I don't even know where is coming from...'

She saddened considerably, already having given up on trying to win the duel, and she began to consider her other options. However, what she really needed right now was reassurance that she could still get Utemaro's Dark Magician of Chaos back. As though it could read her mind, Yuria's number chimed in again.

"Yuria, you can still win this. You need to bring your Xicserata Helix Sweeper back to the field and summon your Xicserata Trapdoor Striker! Once they are both on the field, you can win this Duel regardless of the moves he makes."

'Tch, easy for you to say; you're not the one that has draw the cards we actually need,' the girl scoffed, 'There's only one card that can help me get Helix Sweeper back, and that could be all the way down at the bottom of the deck for all I know. And I only have Surrel in my hand right now. It's too risky to use Centruro's effect and then try to draw into Theraphos or another Bardiida. How do I know that's even gonna pay off?'

Still, Yuria was touched by the fact that this Number was willing to help her all of a sudden. True, she had no idea what motive it had for it, but that changed nothing.

'OK, fine. You got me,' she thought to herself, 'If I promise to try and make this move work out, will you let me go? Please?'

Of course.

The voice calms down, and the claw dissipates. The monster sounds satisfied with this plan, and while its presence doesn't leave, it seems to be less looming over her and more... backing her up.

Remember. This man is scum, and must be punished for his crimes.

Outside the alleyway, from the vortex above, a sensation not unlike a chilling wind swept across the city, and everyone with a Number in their hands and Decks felt it. Unfortunately, this meant that every Number got even more antsy about them getting to the vortex' approximate location.

Atop the alleyway, the figure shuddered. "Ugh. Well, that's promising." He looked up at the swirling blackness above him. 

"I think."

"Well, that’s promising. I think."

The comment was followed by a slight twitch of the mouth of another person standing behind the glowing-eyed figure. This was hard to see from the duel going on beneath them, as he too was silhouetted against the daylight, however the only glow on his person was dark red one coming from a Duel Disk attached to his arm.

You think?” asked the figure, moving a little closer, their height difference easier to discern, “I mean, it seems like something really is happening, with that Number below. Surely there’s little doubt?

The taller figure turned momentarily from the duel to get a look at the person behind him. He didn’t seem surprised, more annoyed, actually, but a questioning look formed on his face.

Hey, by something, I mean something that warranted you to go out by yourself this time.” An eyebrow was raised by the newcomer. “Look, I’m sorry for coming, but it was too good of an opportunity to miss. I just want to watch.

The one with the glowing eye turned back to the Duel. “I told you not to follow me, Jo. This one’s dangerous. As powerful as Number 90, maybe even...” He tilted his head thoughtfully. “Nah, I would wipe the floor with this guy. But still, it wouldn’t be easy.

The comment caused a grimace in the second one.“Easy or not, sounds like an interesting event.

You should leave. If something goes wrong, I at least want you guys to be able to carry on my work. It was stupid of you to follow me.” He sighs. “But now that you’re here, there’s no making you leave. Just stay with me and you should be fine...

Hirai sighed, then his arm holding the card dropped to the side. "Fine. But as soon as you seem suspicious on any level, you will be meeting the surface of a lake that would just be honored to take you in." Hirai grinned, then stared back at the vortex "So, what are we gonna do about a big swirling vortex in the sky that display the number 28? Is there any real way to beat a giant swirling thing that may not even be solid?" Hirai asked, staring at the card in his hand. He liked to collect rare items, and if this card was really telling the truth about the power the card held, Hirai would be having a more than exciting day...

The little figure, visible within the boundaries of Hirai's Duel Gazer, sighed with relief.

Well, fighting Number 28 isn't really an option. He's far more powerful than I am. Also, as I explained, the vortex is his entering into the human world. It's going to emit a wave of power that will reveal the other Numbers' locations, like a sonar. We're going to be able to see how many Numbers are in Heartland as of right now, and which ones belong to Number Hunters. Chances are, other Number Hunters will show up, and we may be able to ally ourselves with some, increasing our overall strength. And so, if you would be so kind as to move us to the location of Number 28, I'm certain he's in the middle of a Duel, considering the energy he's putting off. We'll be able to see how he fights as well.

The black knight sits on Hirai's shoulder and sighs again.

Please sir, don't ever scare me like that again.

[spoiler=(Time-Skip)]Alright, everyone time-skip to the site of the Duel, Stalfos posts and then we can wrap up the Prologue and start the first Arc, which will be more of a free-roam adventure for you guys. Now that school is out for the summer, I want to at LEAST finish the Prologue before I leave for Greece in July.

Leslie wasn't quite sure how he had gotten to this particular alleyway (truth be told, he didn't really leave campus much), but he now seemed to find himself observing a duel between what appeared to be a street punk and a... child, maybe. The shark card had been silent, yet it seemed to pulse near this girl. Well, looks like the girl has bottle, that's fer sure. Could she be..? His eyes then drifted above the alley as he felt a chill. What appeared to be a couple of blokes, one of them with glowing eyes. Well if that ain't textbook for a pair a goolies... "Oi, shark, ya think these folks might be numbered?" he whispered. The card remained silent, yet it seemed like it was focusing on the strangers. Leslie rolled his eyes. Way to keep him in the loop. If the shark wouldn't talk to him, maybe they would. Leslie yelled at the pair above the alleyway, "Oi, the bleedin' hell you lot think yer doin'? You two just all piss and wind? Get the hell down from there before ya fall, ya cabbage!"

Archived