Global Anger

Ryusei the Morning Star

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-06-22/no-one-to-trust-the-anger-that-connects-brexit-trump-le-pen

I think this is a fascinating piece to read about. It seems there has been an anger push all over the world as of recent. Esp with Brexit looking like it might have a great chance to pass.

India elects Modi amid Hindu-Muslim tensions, a "strongman"

Putin Wins again and shows no signs of weakness (even american polls affirm this)

Trump and Sanders re-write the american political system

Le Pen’s National Front in France is rising in power

Austria's rightwing movement had a much closer election than people would have guessed

Philippians elected Trump on steroids

And of course, Brexit

I'm think this is the start of a wave of change that likely won't go away anytime soon

I can't offer a source for this (or else I'd post it), but in one of my international relations classes, a theory was brought up that in developed nations, people's political beliefs tend to become more radicalized in times of relative domestic peace, and more centrist in times of war - this being because without an external bogeyman for the country to rally against, competing ideologies tend to come to boiling points in order to gain support.

While I believe the world operates on cycles, and that we'll eventually see a subsiding towards more moderate politics, the Global War on Terror has challenged this paradigm. It's an "invisible war," one that is omnipresent yet for many people isn't easily visible, so the fact that we don't daily see its effects prevents the sort of "tipping point" to restart the cycle from occurring.

What's that all mean? I frankly don't know. Just food for thought.

Archived