2x Brushland

1x Dryad Arbor

Sideboard: 15

2x Gaddock Teeg

4x Leyline of Sanctity

2x Nature's Claim

2x Rest in Peace

2x Stony Silence

3x Suppression Field/Campo de supresion (someone tell me if I need an english copy to actually use these or if policy doesn't give a sheet, I bought spanish because I didn't look)

[spoiler=Edits made after tourney]

-2 Keen Sense

-1 Spirit Link

-1 Silhana Ledgewalker

+2 Open the Armory

+1 Gryff's Boon

+1 Unflinching Courage

Keen Sense and Silhana didn't help me out at all during the entire tournament, Keen Sense being extra draw that Kor already did, and Ledgewalker being a 1 turn too slow play and only good as a recovery measure.

Spirit link worked the same kind of way, though I'm keeping more simply because what I noticed at the tourney is that quite a few of the decks people are using die to me gaining 10+ life, which Spirit Link stacking really helps with.

[spoiler=Match 1 // UW Turns]

Game 1: 2 Sanic 4 u. Got a well set up board turn 3, turn 4 forced him to fetch to use an answer which brought him down to lethal

Game 2: I'm playing a deck designed to win turn 2, so what do you think happened? If you answered that I went up to 132 life due to spirit links and him chump blocking me without me getting my trample, then waiting for him to deck himself, then you win a cookie.

1-0

[spoiler=Match 2 // Suicide Aggro]

Game 1: He outraces me due to me getting too much flood.

Game 2: Stuff happened, I blocked when I probably shouldn't have and he not only kills the blocking creature but uses protection to prevent me from lifelinking, which inevitably kills me.

1-1

[spoiler=Match 3 // Tron]

Game 1: funk Spellskite.

Game 2: funk Spellskite again. But had my Path in my opening hand so I got rid of it and burst him down easily.

Game 3: Combination of bad mulligans, bad hands and uneducated siding (my siding was putting in Nature's Claim and Stony Silences, where Claim wasn't the optimal choice in hindsight). He got out Ugin and got rid of all my stuff so gg.

1-2

[spoiler=Bonus Match // UB Mill]

Game 1: Mrglglglglgl'd him.

Game 2: He to get out something that said "creatures with power greater than your hand size can't attack" (I'm new forgive me), then put out an artifact miller while I had no artifact hate sided in. Scooped it up after 3 turns of this stuff.

Mind you this is my first time playing Modern in a competitive scene ever, so I count this as success.

Card you're looking for is Ensnaring Bridge. Not a rare card to encounter and will shut down your gameplan, so definitely have some out to it.

The big thing is I do have an out, but it's in my side and due to my inexperience I didn't side in artifact hate predicting the sideboard.

Now I know though.

Pretty much a good chunk of the problems I had in the tourney can be chalked up to sideboard inexperience.

Remember for these type of tournaments, you're not siding against the deck you faced game 1. You're siding against a new configuration in game 2. It is a good feat to learn what people bring in against your deck. For sideboarding, know what are outs that hurt your strategy and know of cards that you could commonly use to hate out another strategy. Board accordingly, but don't let it affect your game plan of winning. It is usually best to not bring is specific hate to counter a few cards from your opponent, unless the card is just that impactful.

I would only play one Open the Armory, as it is a -1 do nothing but could help deal with what you need to. It doesn't affect the board, and Bogles needs to affect the board in order to win. Having the ability of it is nice, just not enough to warrant 2.

I would play 2 Dryad Arbors simply because it is another threat, and it helps you against flooding. It becomes another blocker and threat. It is faster than Silhana. Also, find a way to get 1-3 Horizon Canopies for the same reason of flooding.

Against Tron, only bring in Stony Silence and Gaddock Teeg. They stop exactly what you need they to not have. Ugin and Oblivion Stone.

Remember for these type of tournaments, you're not siding against the deck you faced game 1. You're siding against a new configuration in game 2. It is a good feat to learn what people bring in against your deck. For sideboarding, know what are outs that hurt your strategy and know of cards that you could commonly use to hate out another strategy. Board accordingly, but don't let it affect your game plan of winning. It is usually best to not bring is specific hate to counter a few cards from your opponent, unless the card is just that impactful.

I would only play one Open the Armory, as it is a -1 do nothing but could help deal with what you need to. It doesn't affect the board, and Bogles needs to affect the board in order to win. Having the ability of it is nice, just not enough to warrant 2.

I would play 2 Dryad Arbors simply because it is another threat, and it helps you against flooding. It becomes another blocker and threat. It is faster than Silhana. Also, find a way to get 1-3 Horizon Canopies for the same reason of flooding.

Against Tron, only bring in Stony Silence and Gaddock Teeg. They stop exactly what you need they to not have. Ugin and Oblivion Stone.

Yea siding is the learning curve along with mulligans for me.

Open the Armory replaced my Keen Senses, which also don't affect the board unless Ethereal's already out, so I didn't see much of a loss in that sense. Sure I'll find something another time to fill the slot maybe but I just want to see for myself how badly it slows the deck down, experience and all that.

Silhana already got removed for the extra stuff (see the changes spoiler). Horizon Canopies are the obvious gets that I just didn't have the spare money on after getting the rest of the base, they would be my next purchase if I was planning to hold onto this deck for longer than a month before finding something else. (using this as sort of an entry deck to get some experience for Modern format as it's easy to pilot. I can't see myself having fun with it after 3 weeks but who knows.)

Dryad Arbor is a point I have no idea about, I remember in the past being told only 1 but there's people that play 2 so that'll be a thing to look at. Besides 8 fetches feels like far too much for this deck anyway.

And yea I figured that one out. Inexperience with Modern made me not realize what the Tron bombs were, so my siding was based on what I knew for games 1 and 2 (which was basically funk spellskite). If I had known the bombs were planeswalkers and not creatures then yea Gaddock would've been my first pick.

Archived