[Leaderboard] Tori Vs. Enduser

towitori

Rules:
All Leaderboard rules apply.
First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes.
Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)
Cards must be PM'd to me.
In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:
The winner gets a rep from the loser.
All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:
The deadline for entries is 48 hours from the entry.
The contest ends on 7 days after the cards have been submitted.

Requirement:
Make an "Alien" Monster

Card A:

Alien Benefactor
LIGHT / Level 5
Reptile / Effect
ATK / 2000 DEF / 1000
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard) by Tributing 1 monster on the field with at least 2 A-Counters. If Summoned this way: Add 1 "Alien" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Alien Benefactor" once per turn. This card is unaffected by the effects of monsters with A-Counters. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Place 1 A-Counter on each face-up monster your opponent controls. (If a monster with an A-Counter battles an "Alien" monster, it loses 300 ATK and DEF for each A-Counter during damage calculation only.)

Card B:

Alien Captivator
DARK / Level 4
Reptile / Effect
ATK / 1300 DEF / 1200
You can remove 2 A-Counters from anywhere on the field, or Tribute 1 "Alien" monster you control, to Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is sent to your Graveyard by the effect of a Spell/Trap Card: You can Tribute 1 monster on the field with an A-Counter; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 card that lists "Alien" in its text from your Deck to your hand. If it is a Spell/Trap Card, you can Set it instead. You can only activate each effect of "Alien Captivator" once per turn.

I kind of played Aliens a bit so I'll give this a go.

A is really strong. Recombination Device on anything your opponent controls mill this and you have a free light level 5 with the upside of removing your opponent's anything. And then you get to add a card. It being level 5 is relevant because Gol'gar is also a light level 5 and Pleiades is a good card, as well as general rank 5 access. Also if you detach this and have presumably used Gol'gar you can then revive this by tributing whatever you placed the counters on, ideally an opponent's monster.

This gets around so many things since Gol'gar doesn't target and the tribute doesn't activate. The hard opt on the add doesn't really balance out an unlimited searchable self-recycling Kaiju. First summon, assuming you're tributing an opponent's monster, is a +3, (+1 summon +1 removing opponent's monster +1 search) and anything else you get afterward is just bonus territory. And then for some reason it has (admittedly narrow-scope) immunity because it wasn't already good enough. I can't vote for this soz.

B is why. Why are both of you determined to make Recombination Device a plus machine. They both make it a +2 with non-destruction removal, this with the upside that its search is way broader, and it's a level 4 for King Feral that searches your entire deck. I don't know why it has the option to set an s/t because on opponent's turn nothing will be live and on your turn you can just use it anyway so that's kind of annoyingly pointless. At least this is hard opt on all effects so you can't just obliderate your opponent's board by Kaiju-ing away everything like with A.

I don't know why both of you have decided to go down the route of making essentially Recombination Device support in place of Alien support but it's a bit disappointing on the whole that you have. I can't say I particularly like either design but A is just stupid and madly abusable with that graveyard summon condition so I'll vote for not being broken.

Archived