[10/?] Mythomech Archetype - "When in doubt, flip the odds."

Sluggaholic

Wow, I love this archetype <3 The idea of effects being triggered when cards are added to the hand is great, and it gives you a great tool box to work with.

[spoiler=-Card Reviews-]

[spoiler=-Monsters-]

Mythomech Chimera

This card has one job, and it does it very well. It's a searcher for your Field Spell, and is basically free since you get another Mythomech from the effect of 'Mythomech Equipment', and an additional Normal Summon. It's also not self-exploitable, since its effect is once per turn, so its balanced in that sense. I like this card, as it takes the place of cards like Terraforming, yet gives you the benefits of being a Mythomech monster. I look forward to more support where this card can be used.

Mythomech Medusa

This is a great Defensive card, as being flipped Face-Down is a pretty fair alternative to battle. It also works well as a Set card, as the effect would still activate from that position if attacked. It's great for a slight stall until you can get your Field Spell out. Bonus points for creativity with Medusa. I see this like a better version of Ghostrick Yuki-Onna (and considerably more 'fun' to play against!) Since it can only stall one attack, it's nothing that halts the game unnecessarily, which is great. Its ability to search for your Level 5s is great, and I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it can be countered by being banished instead. Very great card, its perfect as it is.

Mythomech Cyclops

This card is interesting. It's a gamble, since its Targeting condition only really benefits you if the card targeting it is something like a monster that's difficult to summon, like a Synchro or XYZ, however, it could just give them a free way of removing the monster, like with a Spell/Trap card that targets. He is great from prepping your Level 5 cards for being Special Summoned. Either way, you get that addition Level 4, ready to come in when you can Normal Summon. Not a bad card, it could use support from the Deck to better trigger its effect.

Mythomech Poseidon

This card is a delicious dual-use monster. Not only does he Banish a random card from your opponent's hand, but he also primes himself for being Special Summoned. He's a very solid card, and I'd love to see more support toward adding him to the hand to better use his effect.

Mythomech Zeus

Essentially the same as Poseidon, but arguably more powerful from his DEF, and the fact that he can Target cards on the field, by name nonetheless. Depending on whether you add support, and how effective the support is, he might need to be nerfed (like restricting his targets to monsters, spells, and/or traps), but as he is, I see no reason to do so.

Mythomech Hades

Heavy bonus points for Lore-to-effect thought process. Hades reigns in the underworld, so of course he'd get his grimy hands all over the graveyard! Great for popping that toolbox, and even better that he allow you to draw, and prime for another Level 5 Mythomech summon.

[spoiler=-Spells-]

Mythomech Equipment

This card is absolutely essential to victory. The fact that there can only be three at most might be the downfall of this Deck. It is the only way to reliably get your monsters' ATK high enough to slug the opponent. This card allows you to prime for your Level 5s, allows you to Draw when you pop off the effects of your Level 5s, and has a nice insurance of summoning a monster when it leaves the field. This is the backbone of the Deck, and it does its job perfectly, if not too perfectly. I guess you could call it the Deck's Achilles Heel. ,':^) I'll see myself out.

Mythomech Icarus Ascien

First, let's clear up the effect of this Card.

[spoiler=Effect]

Continuous Spell Card

You can only activate 1 "Mythomech Icarus Ascien" per turn. All face-up "Mythomech" monsters gain DEF equal to their original ATK. This effect is switched while you control a face-up "Mythomech Equipment". During either player's Standby Phase: you can banish 1 "Mythomech" card from your Deck or Graveyard; draw 1 card. If this card on the field is destroyed or banished: add 1 Level 4 or lower "Mythomech" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each "Mythomech Icarus Ascien" effect once per turn.

The highlighted phrase is confusing and could use rewording. I understand what it's intended to do, buff the ATK by the original DEF, so let's reword it that way. Perhaps the following:

[spoiler=Effect Reworded]

Continuous Spell Card

You can only activate 1 "Mythomech Icarus Ascien" per turn. All face-up "Mythomech" monsters gain DEF equal to their original ATK, if you control a face-up "Mythomech Equipment", All face-up "Mythomech" monsters gain ATK equal to their original DEF instead. During either player's Standby Phase: you can banish 1 "Mythomech" card from your Deck or Graveyard; draw 1 card. If this card on the field is destroyed or banished: add 1 Level 4 or lower "Mythomech" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each "Mythomech Icarus Ascien" effect once per turn.

This way, it is clear what the effect is intended to do. The ability to banish from your Deck is nice, but from your graveyard is immensely useful, as you can prime your Level 5s should they end up there for any reason. It's also nice that is has an insurance, should it be destroyed or banished, getting a free Level 4 Special Summon is great for both utility, and buying you time.

This Deck is very great, the synergy is there, and versatility is fairly available. Playing to stop things before they happen seems to be how this Deck is to be run, which is fine. I'd suggest, at the very least, having some way to regain life points for those expensive Level 5 monsters. Overall, adding more cards, and even an Extra Deck would vastly expand the possibilities for combos, and game changing plays.

As it is now, I'd say the Deck couldn't be play tested to the fullest, because it needs more support! Please continue working on this, as I believe this Deck has great potential.

Thanks for the review, Dylan! And yeah, on Ascien, I really had no idea how to word that, so thanks for the idea! I'll be sure to implement it!

- - - - -

I added a new card to the archetype, after some long thought: Mythomech Arachne, of course based on the tale of how the first spider was born!

This also counts as a BUMP.

Thanks for the review, Dylan! And yeah, on Ascien, I really had no idea how to word that, so thanks for the idea! I'll be sure to implement it!

- - - - -

I added a new card to the archetype, after some long thought: Mythomech Arachne, of course based on the tale of how the first spider was born!

This also counts as a BUMP.

Thank you for making such an interesting archetype! Happy I could help. I'd like to get a suggested Deck Build from you, I'm interested in play testing these with a few friends of mine. I also saw that new XYZ, I think he's pretty neat, great for emptying useless cards from your grave, and burning the opponent in the process. He's also got a nice popping ability, with decent cost. He'd even be great for popping Ascien, and getting the search when you need it.

Quick OCG thing: It's not "You can only activate each of ""''s effects once per turn", rather "You can only activate each effect of "" once per turn."

Chimera SS's itself upon a search, however the theme of the archetype, at least md monsters, is doing something when they've been searched, so it's not one card you're going to search all the time. Nice balancing with that. Also, quick tips with the colon, not only do you have them in the wrong order (colon them semicolon), but remember that it is "Condition: Cost; effect", and, while you do have the condition placed correctly, it looks like that the searching is a cost, which I'm sure wasn't the attention. Basically, change that first semicolon to a colon, and remove the latter colon (as you don't need it. "and if you do" just combines neatly with the other effect. Nothing else complain here, as it searches and provides field presence.

Medusa has another SS on search effect, which does add some variety to which you want field presence with (although the above does kill itself with a search, which is basically a searcher that searches a searcher). The switch effect is true lore-wise, however I feel is phrased very weirdly, as even I don't understand it fully. Let me try here: "If a monster attacks or is attacked by this monster, it is switched to face-down defense position." the lack of a colon indicates a non-activating effect, and I removed the "before damage calculation" bit, as it doesn't really specify when. The Level 5 search is a nice touch, let's just hope the higher levels don't SS from hand to balance it out, ey?

Cyclops has the SS effect again, and, glancing ahead a bit, see that only the Level 4s SS, but the Level 5s have more interesting effect. Nice idea! Cyclops effects seem fine, but lingering effects in the hand...eh, I no like. I mean, I get you don't want it to be SSable immediately, but so far the effect is permanently attached to the monster in your hand, and if you have another one of that monster in your hand, and you eventually discard a card, how do we know which one has a lingering effect? The idea is there though, perhaps say "cannot be Special Summoned by its effect this turn" instead?

Unsure how I feel on Poseidon having no HOPT on the first effect, but it could work if not for the targeting. There is no card in YGO that targets a card in any player's hand, and I don't think it can be done. The main issue here is that your opponent has the full right to shuffle their hand at any point, as cards which snipe cards in the hand almost always reveal, or just generically discard straight from the hand without specifying a specific card to deal with. I would suggest just changing it to just banishing a card from their hand, and also just putting HOPT on both the effects if you do do that. Also, note for this and the other Level 5s, we don't used "removed from play"; we just use "banished".

Zeus is basically a free snipe on your opponent's side of the field, so put HOPT on that, but as for the effect...targeting is rarely, if ever (I cannot recall a card that does it in YGO) outside of the "cost" step. Targeting is not a cost, it is merely done after the condition is met, and before resolution. It is used in order to specify what cards you want to deal with, giving you or your opponent an opportunity to respond accordingly. So yeah, move that targeting to before the effect, as all the card right now does is "target 1 face-up card" and the declaring for the name is not required. SS is fine.

Hades' first effect is phrased a little weirdly at resolution, I think you mean "banish this card and those targets." The SOPT on the second effect is redundant, and that kind of OPT resets when the monster leaves the field, so you might as well have it at all. I would suggest HOPT on everything, and it would be fine.

Nice creativity with Equipment, I like it as a whole. It really fits in with the effects of the erst of the archetype. As for the SS effect, it should probably be phrased as so: "If this face-up card is destroyed or banished: You can target 1 of your banished "Mythomech" monsters or 1 "Mythomech" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it." The targeting is for a little more fairness, and the addition of "your" in the banished side of things is so that in a mirror match you can't take advantage of your opponent's plays. It's a shame the first effect is mandatory, so that the card isn't splashable.

Icarus is an interesting take on the ATK/DEF relationship, however I do believe that effect isn't phrased so well, with the colon seeming to indicate an activated effect. I would suggest "While you control a face-up "Mythomech Equipment", all face-up "Mythomech" monsters you control gain ATK equal to their original DEF, otherwise they gain DEF equal to their original ATK." Draw power is slow but useful. Search is also fine. Nice work!

Arachne is a cute tech in Machines that is basically a better Break Sword (outside of PK, ofc), that can pop as SS2 as opposed to the latter's SS1. Regardless, its restriction to machines and its low ATK make it balanced, and the banishing on Summon combined with the slight burn also buffs it a little as an archetypal card.

While there are a few OCG errors, and a little bit of missing HOPT on some cards, its a great idea for a spamming archetype, and I wish it had more offensive boss in order to make it more than an engine. Good job!

Thanks, Dova, for the review! Yeah, the OCG on most of these cards is... subpar. Thanks for the suggestions on them!

And for now I'm a little iffy on giving them a boss, as how they are now, they're quite good as Rank5.dek, with them making a CyDraInfinity at least once per turn, and that's not even including when you run Brilliant Fusion. It can get crazy.

But I'll think on it. Maybe something to restore 500~1000 LP when a card(s) is banished? :T

Also, this is a BUMP

Considering I've already done a review, and it took forever, I'll answer this.

How about a monster with a base effect of allowing you to search a Mythomech instead of drawing? You could have it that you draw a definite Mythomech of your choice, or you choose 3 and your opponent chooses 1, or you choose 3 and 1 is chosenly randomly. I would suggest one of the latter two to give you more freedom with other effect/stats on the boss. As for what kind of monster, how about either 2/3-mat Rank 5 Xyz, considering you already have a Rank 4, or perhaps make a maindeck monster that needs to Normal Summon with 3 tributes considering the SSing of the rest of the archetype?

The LP gain is to make up for the fact that you're constantly going to be draining yourself in order to bring the Mythomechs back from being banished. The reason he halves his stats when he has 2 or fewer materials is based on the myth about how the Greecian gods usurped their father, Kronos (or Chronos, I can't remember how it was originally spelled): Zeus, having not been swallowed by his father grew up to defeat him, and by freeing the other gods, became strong enough to defeat Kronos, as he was weakened. (Though by poison, rather than a lack of materials.)

Also, since Kronos was the Titan of Time, it makes sense that he'd be able to help reverse the adverse effects of the Mythomech Gods by "reversing time" (recovering lost LP). And, since he also had a sickle as a weapon (a half-circle, new-moon shaped crescent blade) I figured him being able to swap stats would make sense. (If that doesn't make sense to you, it comes from the idea that ATK and DEF are on opposite sides of a circle, and by swapping the stats, either stat is traveling a half-circle, the same amount of distance covered by the blade of a sickle, which happens to be Kronos's weapon.) 

The OPT negate-to-add is so he has greater field presence rather than just being a beatstick like the Level 5s are on the field (sans Hades).

It makes sense lorewise, I guess, its effects do work, even if they are still a little complicated. The important thing is that it works, and so you have yourself a good boss. I don't have much to say on it, other than the LP gain being attached to drawing. Why not attach it to something else, like adding a card from your Deck to your hand except by drawing, to fit in with theme?

That part was mainly to emulate the card Solemn Wishes, in all honesty.

Archetype-wise, though, it'd make much more sense. But at the same time, it might be too good. It's a toss-up, really, as I feel you're less likely to get as much LP back in one turn by drawing than you could searching with this deck (especially paired with cards like Gear Gigant X), but at the same time, it's much more reliable than searching, since you're guaranteed to draw at least 1 card each of your turns.

After some tests on DP, I'll see if I think the tweak makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

Archived