Numerix Hunters: An AGM Adventure! [IC/PG-16/Limited Acceptance]

ChampionZero

Destiny City. An island City-State, halfway between the US/Canada Border and the coast of Japan. This mini-tropolis, no bigger than Hawaii, is home to a population of about 1 million people, united by a love of a card game. Though many would call us simple folk, the people of Destiny City are far from that.

It's summertime, and with summer came the restlessness of the Street Duelists, spending time outside where they could easily find opponents. Since the appearance of the mysterious "Numerix" cards, the city has seen a fair bit more Dueling than usual. Konami remains silent on the legitimacy of the cards, but people still take advantage of the fact that they work with all Duel Tech on the Island. Some folks today are about to become a part of that particular group.

iU8EggM.png

[spoiler=OOC]OK, everyone, it's a sunny Tuesday morning in late August. Where are you and what are you doing? Just a note, Yuto is the only person who has a Numerix already, since it's part of his backstory. I'll post regarding your Numerix discovery, and we can jump right in from there. Remember, this is going to be a player-driven game, so I won't be posting all the time. It's up to you to decide what happens.

Rosetta sat up in her bed, yawning. She had unintentionally slept in that day, after spending the night stargazing and completing the star chart she was working on. The sun streamed through the window of her dorm room, illuminating the various astronomical paraphernalia that was scattered around her half of the room, including a poster of Pluto on the opposite wall.

Her roommate, Catherine, had apparently already left on her daily walk around campus, which meant that Rosetta had the room to herself as she got dressed, showered, ate breakfast, took her estrogen pills, and so on. It wasn't that she didn't like Catherine - in fact, she counted Catherine as one of her best friends - but sometimes, Rosetta preferred peace and quiet in the morning. Catherine also didn't yet know that Rosetta was trans, so taking her estrogen in the morning was always a bit of a gamble with Catherine home. To complete her routine, Rosetta shrugged on her jacket, then went over to the small stack of cards on her nightstand.

She had a long-standing tradition of never keeping her deck exactly the same; one day, she might be using Ordeal of a Traveler and Hero of the Last Stand, the next, Subspatial Battle and Convincing Costume. In fact, the latter two cards she decided to swap in, along with a few other interesting techs. Her Space Cruisers never left the deck, though; they were static. After remaking her deck to her liking, she grabbed her keys and stepped outside, locking the door behind her, and headed out to the beach, hoping to find someone willing to have a friendly match.

Oh, what a beautiful day. The sun was shining, birds were singing, and Gordon had not a care in the world. He wondered around town aimlessly, so proud of the new duel disk he rightfully stole from some oblivious person having lunch. Oh wow, how angry he must be now. At least he still has his cards. To tell the truth though, Gotdon had no idea how to work a duel disk and just liked the way they look. While happily wondering aroun, he started to feel hunger. He had skipped breakfast today since he really just didn't or like breakfasts food. He quickly scanned the area and found something wonderful, a pizza parlor open. Well, that was just great. He went in and when he took a seat, he could not help but notice that the person behind him had just put a couple of cards in a pocket on his backpack. Gordon waited for him to leave, and when he did, reached into the pocket and pulled the cards out. Looking through them, they were all Galaxy Xyzs. "Garbage." Gordon stated throwing the cards away. When the person returned, Gordon tapped his shoulder and told him that the kid leaving the joint had taken some cards out of his backpack. The man left and Gordon returned to eating his triple cheese pizza.

"Battle! Mastery Wizard attacks you directly!"

A beam of energy blasted out of Mastery Wizard's wand, reducing the opponent's Life Points down to zero.

"C'mon Yuto! We're gonna be late!" Yuki, Yuto's ten-year old sister, whined.

Every weekend, the Destiny City Community College opens their Action Field to college students and thier challengers. The Yuto and Yuki enjoyed watching all the Action Duels that were commenced there. It was Yuto's dream to become an Action Duelist, he loved the added 'spin'.

And because I accepted that Duel, we're gonna be late... he thought.

----------

Yuto and Yuki navagated across campus to the Duel Field. They've been to this place multiple times, so the knew the route.

The Campus Duel Field wasn't an extremely spectacular place. It was a gigantic steel cage-like structure with no roof, that's about the size of a football field. The ARC System and Solid Vision Projector were placed under the gray glass floor. Metal bleachers stood off to the side for the visitors and spectators.

As the Nagamoris approched the Duel Field, a Duel just ended with a player's Life Points dropping down to zero.

Yuto. a voice whispered.

"Huh?" said Yuto.

I sense a Numerix Card.

The spirit inside of Yuto's locket appeared before him. Only Yuto could see and hear him, of course; he and the spirit, also known as Yami, shared the same body.

I believe that it's over there.

Yami pointed to the young man who had just won the Duel. He was boasting boisterously, and was accepting other challengers.

"Pfft. Seriously. Is anyone gonna at least try to Duel me? Well, I can't blame you all. I'm probably the best Duelist on campus."

Along with what Yami said, Yuto could also felt his own Numerix Card, Numerix-027: Mastery Wizard, almost 'call out' to the young man's Numerix.

"I'll Duel you," said Yuto. No one heard him. A little louder, he repeated himself, "I'll Duel you!"

"Hmm? You?" the young man replied. He laughed loudly, an once he caught his breath, he continued. "A kid like you? So be it kid. But when I Duel, I expect an ante. You put your strongest card up for bet. And once I win, I'll add your card to my collection."

I don't like this guy's attitude. I'll take this from here.

A flash of light appeared over Yuto's eyes as all of his senses went numb, and then void. Suddenly, he was looking at his own body; his face had a more malicious and confident composure than Yuto usually donned. Yami had taken over Yuto's body.

"Look fool, I'm not here to chat. I came here to Duel."

Uh, Yami? Can you try to tone the sass down a little bit, please?

"Oh, so we've got a smart mouth over here. Lemme tell you one thing, kid. You're. Gonna. Lose."

Both Duelists took their places in the arena.

The young man tapped a couple of buttons on his Duel Disk. The Disk then responded by saying: "Action Field activate. Haunted Citadel."

The ARC System flared to life, and the bland arena became the remains of a grand castle. The castle sat on a tall hill, and thick fog stretched as far as the eye could see. The Duelists stood in a demolished courtyard under a full moon. "Action Cards, dispersed." the Duel Disk said as numerous Action Cards rained down onto the castle.

DUEL!

DUEL!

Ryuko enjoyed watching Duel Students doing their thing. It was . . . relaxing, seeing kids who had no pressure on their lives, just Dueling for the fun of it. Most people wouldn't recognize her here, not after a year of hiatus, and so she felt safe simply sitting up in the bleachers and watching Duels.

It had been particularly satisfying watching this unusual winning streak. She'd not heard of these "Numerix" cards, but apparently if they were number-marked there had to be more than one . . . although she couldn't for the life of her figure out what the theme of them could be.

The next challenger to arrive wasn't much to look at. Little dark-haired kid, extremely confident, though rather quiet and not much presence to him . . . Ryuko mused, however, that the same could have been said about her when she started Dueling, and she'd been a pro for a few years.

Poking her hand into a small box of steak-and-potato pastries, Ryuko enjoyed her breakfast as the match started. This looked like it could be fun.

As Rosetta meandered around, she noticed that there seemed to be a commotion going on at the community college next to her university. She decided to pop over and take a look, since it wasn't like she had anything better to do. I really cannot wait until classes start again. Then I'll actually have something to do!

She arrived just as Yuto and the Numerix holder began their duel. "Oh, neat, a duel! Maybe I can get one of them to duel me afterwards." She said, half to herself and half in case one of them happened to hear her. Rosetta glanced around for a seat, and her eyes settled on a spot next to a positively queenly-looking girl who practically shouted "don't talk to me." Perfect! Rosetta walked over and sat down next to her. "Hiya! I'm Rosetta. Who're you?" She said, her questions accompanied by a wide grin.

• 4 weeks later...

"Hm?" Ryuko asked, arching an eyebrow at the intrusion into her thoughts. An unusual-looking girl had just plopped herself down next to her and asked a question, likely asking who she was. Just in case she was a fan, Ryuko avoided the Nigosanjo name.

"I'm Ryuko," she said softly, turning her head back to the Duel that she had looked away from to turn her attentions to speak to this space cadet, but it seemed both the Numerix boy and his challenger had vanished into thin air. Sighing, she shifted her attentions back to the girl who'd spoken to her. "As for getting to challenge one of those two, it's doubtful. Apparently, they flew the coop in the past few seconds, somehow."

In a flat tone that could not be more of a passive-aggressive cue to go as far away as possible, Ryuko added, "I come here only to watch the students Duel." With that, she pulled another pastry from her bag and bit down on it, resuming her breakfast without another acknowledgement of the interloper's existence as her golden eyes returned to the Dueling field.

(Across Destiny City, in a suburban area known as "The Hill...")

A man, perhaps in his mid-thirties, gets slapped back-first into a brick wall as his Life-Points dwindle into the triple-digits. "AH! Crap."

His opponent, a well-built, more youthful figure, stood triumphantly over his prey, the silhouettes of three monsters above him. One figure was as muscular as its owner, wielding a massive, cleaver-like sword. Another one seemed to dangle on invisible strings, and the third was a beastly, hunched, draconian figure. "You should've just handed over the Numerix, old man. But you just gotta go and make this all violent." He sighs. "Oh well. Can't make bacon without killing a few pigs."

The older man reached up to his Duel Disk weakly, and grinned. "Nice try, Cruz. But if I'm going down, you're going down with me. I have a Trap Card: Self-Destruct Button! Since you have 7000 more Life Points than I do, this reduces both our life points to 0. Instantly. And you know what it means when we end in a draw..."

The younger Duelist froze. "Oh you vainglorious SON OF A BI-"

He was cut off by the *click* of his opponent's Duel Disk button and a blinding explosion that was seen all throughout the city as an impossibly bright light.

[spoiler=OOC]You know what that means! Alright, everyone sees the blast of light, and everyone but Yuto (either now or later,) finds a Numerix somewhere on their person, whether it's suddenly in their deck, Duel Disk, pocket, etc, etc.

Archived