Digimon World: Next Order

Night

Back in the day I recall there were a lot of digimon fans on this site (I miss you LZ, stay safe cutie) so I thought I may as well drop this sheet here.

For anyone who's played the old school Digimon World game for the PS1, like, the first one, this sheet will be right up your alley. It's basically everything that made that game amazing, but with more digimon and a new open world to explore. And you can have two digimon instead of one which is dope.

So I like Digimon but have never played a Digimon World game.

Can you tell me what type of game that is and how it tries to translate the TV show into game mechanics?

RPGs. Each one tackles it rather differently, though, and one of them was a weird dungeon crawler mixed in.

That said, damn, wish I had a PS4 now.

So I like Digimon but have never played a Digimon World game.

Can you tell me what type of game that is and how it tries to translate the TV show into game mechanics?

You basically receive a Digimon, raise it to fight other Digimon by doing several Training Mini-Games. Overtime it'll evolve into a Digimon based on how you raise it. You also have to take care of it (Feeding, Cleaning Poo/Taking it to the bathroom, etc). Think of Tamagatchi or any other of those V-Pet games but with fighting and Exploration. Eventually your Digimon will die and turn into an Egg and you'll have to raise a new one with a portion of it's stats left over.

Combat Involves simply letting your Digimon just fight. You don't do much except heal it when its HP/MP gets low. But over time, as it becomes smart(raise the IQ stat) you can give more complex commands like Fighting more/less aggressively, and eventually the use of specific attacks which you can equip based on what you've unlocked as it evolved.

I've played World 1 and the PSP one, Re:Digitize. I prefer "Digimon Story" games (Dawn/Dusk, Cyber Sleuth, etc) over "Digimon World" games (excluding World 2 and 3) for the more Pokemon-esque feel and turn-based mechanics, but some people really like these games so more for them.

My biggest gripe was pretty much dying in the middle of a Dungeon/Area when I was so close to the boss or finishing the mission. Having 2 Digimon will probably help the problem.

Overtime it'll evolve into a Digimon based on how you raise it. You also have to take care of it (Feeding, Cleaning Poo/Taking it to the bathroom, etc).

That was pretty much the best part of the game for me and why I would recommend the original/this new one. There's something about the surprise aspect when digivolving that seems genuinely rewarding, given you actually raise the digimon well, and even then you aren't completely sure that you'll get the one that you want. But that's not always a bad thing because you're essentially stuck with that digimon for the rest of its lifespan so even if you're initially salty because it's not the one you wanted, with time it'll grow on you. Also the fact that it will die eventually just leads to a legitimate emotional connection to the digimon. Especially if you spent a lot of time and effort caring for it correctly. That's something that I never got from Pokemon when I was a kid, yeah my starter was dope and sheet but I didn't really give that much of a funk about it by the end of the game. 

So you don't digivolve mid-battle like in the anime?

No, it's more like Pokemon in that sense. 

Archived